BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Southwestmba/Andy's excellent adventure group-Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2011-09-13 10:05 PM
in reply to: #3684898

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Subject: RE: Southwestmba/Andy's excellent adventure group-Full

I was thinking about doing IM Wisconsin, but there's a conference that's usually scheduled the day after the same week I have to go to.  So, I decided not to sign up, and at the conference this week, they announced they might be moving the date.  Grrr.  I really wanted to do IMWI because of the great crowds.

I'm thinking besides the 2 DC olympic tris, of doing either the Kinectic, Bassman, or Eagleman halfs in the Spring, and IM Florida in November.    Beach to Battleship in Wilmington has a good rep, but I think I'd like to experience a WTC event for my first IM.  Andy, you did IM FL - what do you think of it as a first IM?  Anything you'd recommend?  As for yourself Andy, since you seem to love the hills, you might consider St George.  It's still open.

Good luck Phaeton on your first Oly.  You've already done a great job just getting yourself to the starting line.

2011-09-13 11:03 PM
in reply to: #3287331

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
IM Florida was my first Ironman and it is a very good first race for a number of reasons.
1) Early November date allows you to not have to alter your routine over the summer and the biggest volume stuff comes when the temps are cooling off.
2) Panama City Beach rocks. Plenty of places to stay right next to the start/T1/Finish. We rented a 2 bedroom suite a building over from the start. The boys and Tammy got to watch the start from the balcony.
3) Nice course and very good crowd support and themed aid stations. Getting water from Elvis's was cool.
4) Pancake flat 2 loop run.
5) Relatively flat bike (few rollers and a bridge) but a nice shaded course for the most part.
6) Good event well supported, welcome banquet and carbo load, pancake breakfast the day before, good post race stuff and free massage afterwards, award banquet the following evening.
7) Small Local airport, easy in and out even with a bike.

I had a blast doing that race. Other ones to consider REV3 Cedar Point. Full Ironman held at a great amusement park in Ohio so lots for the family to do while dad was out running plus they have way more swag than an IM event; IM AZ another late season IM (Mid November) in the Phoniex area well run and supported and a 3 loop bike and 3 loop figure 8 run, so your support crew gets to see you alot this race. Beach to Battleship and the Great Floridian are other non WTC (Ironman) events, but not as big or expensive as a WTC race and get good reviews but can't say anything first hand. IM Canada and IM Louisville have great fan support but are a bit more challenging courses.

Andy
2011-09-15 4:16 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Phaethon Good luck on the Olympic this Sunday and glad to hear the Chi running style is working for you. Finish the season strong!!!

Great job to Tom again on the Nation's Tri. Finally got thru your race report and bumped it back to the top of the list. How did they manage the bike start with 3000 people and no swim? How crowded was the course? Sounds like you had a great race and breaking the 20 mph barrier is a great accomplishment.

Have fun!

Andy
2011-09-15 8:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

They started us in the swim corrals per our swim wave/age group.  As you progressed to the start line about 20 meters from transition, they grouped you into bunches of 15, and started you about every 15 seconds.  You ran to your bike, and your T1 started as you crossed the first mat, and then ended on the second mat at the bike out at the other end of transition.  It was kind of crowded, with everyone in your age group going to their bikes on the same section of racks.  It was also very muddy.  At times, the course was kind of narrow and crowded as well.  Most sections were typically 2 wide, but sometimes 3 and 4 riders wide if space permitted.  In some sections, 2 wide was as much as could fit.  Fortunately, the bike course is completely closed to traffic.  I think overall the race managment went OK, but maybe the race has become too large.  I believe 6000 signed up, but only about 4000 started.  Having people strung out by the swim makes a big difference for this event.  Getting into and out of transition before the race started was a zoo with the atheletes going in and out of a narrow passage, and lots of spectators standing around the entrance, and even in the staging area.

Thanks again.  I'm really looking forward to working on building a strong base with some focused workouts and drills over the winter.  In the next week or 2, I'll be finally giving myself a real bikefit.

2011-09-19 4:11 PM

Regular

Back from my Oly and I can't be more than pleased with the results; PB's in all three legs! Belle Isle, Detroit, is a fast track; there were currents to help you in the water, the bike course was closed off to traffic and the run was on flat ground. The temp was pretty ideal too, around 66ish at the start, 68 towards the end.

The oddest thing though; I am sick as a dog today! I have a fever, I have chills. I feel like crap. I can distinguish pains from the tri, my shoulders (not enough lats, Joe!), my hamstrings, my thighs, and I am fatigued from the effort as well, but I also feel sickness, does this happen sometimes when you give good effort? It was my first event at this distance and I did give good effort, my heart rate during the run at one time hit 189. Should I put that under personal bests, hehe?

So that's all my events for the year and I'm happy at the improvement my body has made during the year; already looking forward to next year! So when do we get to sign up for next year's events, is there a specific time or do you just need to keep your eyes and ears open?

2011-09-20 9:45 AM
in reply to: #3692638

User image

Extreme Veteran

Congrats on your first Oly Phaethon!  Here's to many more!

I'm not sure of what made you sick, but I know I could never get my HR up to 189.  For me, anything above 172 puts me into an anaerobic phase and I can't go very much longer without getting my HR back down.

I've found most races don't fill up too quickly, with the exception of many Ironman events.  However, if you've got a "must do" race, I'd sign up sooner rather than later.  The races I do open up anywhere from 10-12 months in advance, to as little less than 3 months in advance.  You just have to keep checking the site, or get on their mailing list.

Well Done!  Looking forward to your race report.

2011-09-26 9:37 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Sorry I haven't check in while been a heckic couple of weeks, but a good one. My niece had her wedding last weekend in Virginia Beach, and we got to help set up and tear down, etc. But it was pretty cool but makes you feel old when your sister kids are now both married.

My motivation just hasn't been there since IMC, but I still have another race before the year is done REV3 SC HIM. Could be an interesting race, but you never know. We'll see in two weeks.

Great job Phaethon. Great race and PRs. After Kona I got sick as a dog and noone else in the family got sick (which is very rare) so it happens. Guess it means you gave it your all. Congrats!
2011-09-27 10:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm officially signed up for Eagleman next June.  My first HIM.  Break's over - time to get back to it!
2011-09-27 11:06 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
SweEt! Eagleman is a great race and I know you will enjoy it

Edited by southwestmba 2011-09-27 11:07 PM
2011-10-01 9:30 AM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
One week left before my final race of the season. Late summer and fall has just been a rain fest this year. Have to be an opportunist to get a run in between the rain drops. But I've done a pretty good job and only got drenched once the last couple of weeks. (really needed a run Tuesday )

Hope all is well with everyone.

Andy
2011-10-01 3:44 PM
in reply to: #3702063

Regular
Woot! Grats Hip! I'm excited for you! Lol, breaks over huh, should I feel guilty, mines just begun! I do need to look at the list of events for next year because that is my plan for next year as well, to sign up (and complete) my first HIM as well. As a matter of fact, I'm gonna go see if anything has come up yet...

2011-10-01 3:52 PM

Regular

Around my household I am known as the 'Thunderstealer'. My wife has had a bad year when it comes to injuries; back, knee, PF. We'll be having a conversation and she'll mention an ailment and I'll have to add -just conversing, mind you- that, yeah my leg is still sore from the run of the other day or yeah my shoulder is still bothering me and she'll give me that look and I'll realize I did it again.

Not to suggest I'm stealing Hip82's thunder but I looked to see what races were available and Steelhead was up. I am signed up for it! I'm doing my first HIM too, woot! 225 dollars! Holy Cow! If I have any energy left I'm going to head back into the water and start my second one, just to get my money's worth! As a matter of fact, that's my goal; get my money's worth. I get the feeling I will.

2011-10-01 3:53 PM
in reply to: #3707484

Regular
Good luck with your race Andy! So is the weather an issue for you, or perhaps you actually fare better when there is a chill in the air?
2011-10-03 10:06 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Thanks. The weather for the race actually looks pretty good mid 70s and sunny in South Carolina; however, the weather for training up here in Philly is nasty. Weeks of rain and overcast skys just seem to suck the motivation out of you after a while. Now if I can just avoid getting sick this week as the wife is coming down with something.

Been a strange year, while no great performances in terms of times or placing, but I was very satisfied with the efforts in some of those races particularly Ironman Canada and the REV 3 Quazzy double. Sometimes the stat sheet doesn't tell the full story and this has been one of those years. Of course it would be good for the old ego to bust out a good time to end the season this weekend, but a month post Ironman, on a relatively hilly bike course, on the first race at this venue so no scouting report, even I don't know what to expect.

Guess when it comes down to it I enjoy training for the events, but I have had a tough time flipping the switch to race mode the last few years and really get the best out of myself on race day. But I am still enjoying the experience and having fun which for me is always what it is about. The thrill coming down Lakeshore to the finish at Ironman Canada was still there, and the Ironman moment I felt on the Seven Sisters was so intense (The Ironman moment is that moment when you ask yourself, "Do I have what it takes to see this race to its end?" You have to look deep inside to find the answer, and what happens next makes all the difference), puking my guts out, feeling worse than I ever have on a bike with about 60 miles and 3000 feet of climbing to go, something deep inside refused to quit even though my mind and body had pretty much packed up shop. That spirit won out and turned my mind and my body followed, I was going to fight my way though no matter want it took, I just had to figure out how. And I did. That is more valuable to me than any medal.

Enjoy the ride, and remember to thank the volunteers!
Andy

2011-10-05 10:37 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
One of the side benefits of tri training is you have plenty of prositive outlets for your aggression when life gets stressful. Lets just say I really needed that outlet today!!!

Feel much better now!

Enjoy the ride!

Andy
2011-10-05 10:46 PM

Subject: RE:
<a href=http://www.onkyo1.com/onkyo308b.htm>onkyo 308b</a> <a href=http://www.onkyo1.com/onkyo308review.htm>onkyo 308 review</a> <a href=http://www.onkyo1.com/onkyo3300review.htm>onkyo 3300 review</a> <a href=http://www.onkyo1.com/onkyo508review.htm>onkyo 508 review</a> <a href=http://www.onkyo1.com/onkyo608price.htm>onkyo 608 price</a>

2011-10-06 10:31 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Great we are getting spammed.

How not to taper.
1) Have a stressful week at work. It is amazing how much faster those easy run can be when you mind is stressed.
2) Have the Phillies playing playoff baseball. They can't make anything easy and that adds velocity to my trainer sessions at night.
3) Have your son's karate schedule change giving you an extra hour before cycling class and way too much energy from tapering. Results in an 1 and 45 min cycling session and 45 min on my own can be worse than the rest of the class.
4) Have a nine hour drive. Well can't do anything about that one.

So I'm ready to go!!

Andy
2011-10-08 4:46 AM

Regular

Hey guys, just checking in!

I'm currently sick, been so for a week. Prior to that I had just got off a vacation and prior to that a self imposed R&R period to get away from training and let my body heal up a bit, which it needed. Consequently, I've gone several weeks without training/maintenance, the longest stretch by far that I have done so. It doesn't sit well with me; at night lately I'll have dreams of desperately trying to compete in a tri but I keep falling farther and farther behind.

So I'm done with events for the season, but I plan on 'maintaining my fitness' throughout the winter. I will NOT gain my weight back! My best weight was 208.5 but since my training halted I'm up to 214; I'm not anyone's 'triathlete' but I know what I've accomplished and I will not revert to the old me. The present me still has places to go and the past isn't one of them!

My condolences, Andy; I see the Phils weren't able to do anything against Carpenter. Halladay gave up that one run in the first, I'm sure you weren't worried at that time that the Phils wouldn't be able to get one run. I'm a Tiger fan; we were able to get past the Yanks in a similarly low scoring game, what a stressy game that was! It's a good time to be a sport fan in Michigan as the Lions and Wolverines are both fairing well too; I think all these teams will enable me to maintain a good frame of mind as I aim to maintain my fitness throughout the fall and winter.

2011-10-12 7:21 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Yeah the Phillies killed me Friday night. I was driving down to South Carolina and actually got the game on the Phillies radio network. The Cards scored a run when I was getting gas and it was just painful to listen the rest of the way. I'll pull for the Tigers since they beat the Yankees but I'm really not too pumped up to watch and MLB this week since my Phillies season ended so suddenly.

Going into REV3 South Carolina I wasn't too hopeful for a good performance. A month after an Ironman, my training was very unfocused and light, it was a hilly course, and I just wasn't into it. Morning of the race I had the worst mental attitude ever, asking myself why i even bothered to drive 9hrs to do this race.

So of course, that resulted in far and away my best race of the year. Went 5:35:21 finishing 72nd and 15th in my age group in a big race and undoubtedly my top USAT score for the year. My second fastest HIM ever (out of 16) and my first sub 6 since 2009. Negative splits on the bike thanks to a significant headwind over the first 30 miles and a negative split on the run and only had 7 people pass me and stay in front of me on the run and a 1:54 felt really good. Definitely lifted my spirites and confidence going into the off season.

Race report coming soon

Andy
2011-10-13 8:41 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
2011-10-14 4:28 AM
in reply to: #3721839

Regular

Grats on your race Andy! I know what you mean about not feeling mentally/physically ready for an event/training session, then end up having a real good one. I read your race report, it sounds like you finished quite strong, grats! I too was paying attention to Ironman Kona; now that I have my first year of events under my belt, my experiences place a different spin on what I was seeing. I felt more attuned to it, able to empathize with the athletes knowing something of the things they were going through.

Currently, I am about 80% over a cold I caught like almost two weeks ago, what is up with that!? I haven't worked out in that period of time, and combined with the carousing I have done due to watching college/pro football (Go Lions!) and baseball, I've put on some weight. I need to reel myself in! Today I think I'm ready to get back into the gym and get my focus back, back to health and fitness. There is a 'last of the year' indoor tri coming up in November at the gym so I have something to focus on; it was around this time last year that I caught the 'Tri Bug' and I'm looking forward to seeing how I have progressed since then.

2011-10-18 10:51 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Well now that I made it to the offseason, I cut back on my workouts and start to get a bit more unstructured for a few months. Each year I make a few attempts to focus on my swimming or vow to hit the weights but it hasn't worked. I do tend to do a few short races (ie 5ks) just to show myself I actually have some speed and last year I even won my age group twice in a row. This year the challenge will be to see how long I can stay ahead of my 9th grade son who ran Cross country the last two years. We might have round 1 this weekend on a race on his xc course. Wish me luck.
2011-11-05 6:24 AM

Regular
Andy, thanks for having me in your group; your encouragement, thoughtful comments and answers to my questions were really appreciated! Thanks group, too! It was nice to interact with others 'tri-ing', look forward to reading you guys on the forum next year!  
2011-11-05 4:52 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
No problem was great to have you as part of the group.

Ran a 5K today. After a season of 4 HIMs and a Full IM, to run a 5K just felt weird. Plus it was cold. 31 warming up was never so litereral, got up to 33 for race time. Got off to a good start and got into a rhythm and picked my way forward over the last two miles and only had 1 person pass me and stay ahead of me the whole race. Finished 9th O/A out of 267 finishers and was the first place finisher in my AG (40-49) and got a trophy. Plus I got my post 14 year lay off 5k PR by 1 second (21:11 - 6:49 ave miles)(Got to break up my PRs since I ran a 15:58 in High School when I weighed in at 129 pounds vice 170 today after ballooning to 230 during my 20s and early 30s.) Not a bad day, but did have to jog the course a second time so I felt like I had a full workout.

Andy
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Southwestmba/Andy's excellent adventure group-Full Rss Feed  

of 14