Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » bike help Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2011-01-28 9:39 PM

Subject: bike help
Hi there I need some advice. I'm planning on riding in a couple sprint triathlons this year as well as one olympic the one in wasaga beach. I did a couple try a tri before. The first year I competed I did so on my trusty old mountain bike. I wanna upgrade something speedier like a roadbike but am worried because of all the roads around here are almost all gravel where I train and live rural. Even one of the races I wanna compete in has gravel sections. What is a good beginner bike that can handle both gravel and road services. How much is a bottom of the line road bike cost. What if bought used what should I look for and how much should i safe with a bike a couple years old? Is there another type of bike i should look at. Any advice welcome, Thanks a lot

2011-01-29 7:59 AM
in reply to: #3328038

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acton, Ontario
Subject: RE: bike help
Post your question on the Triathlon Talk Forum. I bet you will see more responses and quick responses. 
Your situation is fairly unique, but I am sure there are others out there who have 'been there'.

In my opinion you should get a good road bike that is capable of accepting slightly fatter tires (off-road capable), or the slick road tires (for those Tri's that happen to be on paving 100%). Maybe most entry level road bikes can do this, I am not sure. 

2011-01-29 8:54 AM

Regular
Burlington Ontario
A cyclo-cross bike might also be an option for you. I used mine for Belwood last year and it was perfect. Very versatile in that you can use regular 700x23c tires for road only races, 700x35c for "off road" events (Paris-Ancaster, Belwood try-a-tri) and studded 700x35c for winter commuting all on the same rims. You might also fall in love with cyclocross racing in the fall just to prolong your tri season...and keep yourself poor by spending more money on bike related stuff. Geometry and gearing is normally a bit different from road, but may be a good transition from mtn bike to full on road speed machine. You can normally find a quality used cross bike for less than $500. Keep an eye on canadiancyclist.com and cyclocrossontario.com. Good luck with whatever you choose.
2011-01-29 9:44 AM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
If you have a lot of gravel roads then consider buying a Cyclocross bike (CX bike). Its very similar to a road bike but has a slightly sturdier build and a little wider tires - it will handle gravel perfectly well. You can get a used set of skinny road wheels for $150 for when you race triathlons or ride smooth pavement (or just swap the tires on your CX wheels)

You can still ride a regular road bike on gravel. Just put on some very sturdy 25mm or 27mm tires (i.e. Continental Gatorskin Tires) and open the brakes up a smidgen so pebbles don't get caught in there. Either way, expect to get some scratchs and paint chips on the bike.

The cost for brand name entry level road or CX bikes start around $600. The main factor is the gearing. Shimano gearing is the most common - their racing gears in order of cost & quality are: Sora, followed by Tiagra, then 105 and finaly Ultegra and Durace.  There is nothing wrong with Sora / Tiagra and they are perfectly good for the majority of novice to intermediate riders.

My advice is to go to a few bike stores and shop around. Ask some questions. Try some on for size - figure out what frame size you need. Maybe you'll find a great deal on last year's model on clearance.

Buying used can be a very good way to get more for your dollar.
There are Craigslist and Kijiji.
also you can try:
Cyclocross Ontario Classifieds:  http://www.cyclocrossontario.com/classifieds/>Canadian Cyclist Classifieds: http://www.canadiancyclist.com/classifieds.php/>
good luck and happy riding.
2011-01-29 11:24 AM
in reply to: #3328323

Regular
Burlington Ontario
Echo  Echo  Echo  Echo  Echo  Echo  Echo
2011-01-31 7:52 PM
in reply to: #3328421

Score I got myself a cyclocross bike a rocky mountain solo sitting on a trainer in my front porch now so happy yahoo!!!!

2011-01-31 9:44 PM
in reply to: #3332007

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
Sweet!  Don't be afraid to show off and post a picture of the bike. Showing off your bike is practically de rigueur around here.  Smile
2011-02-01 8:57 AM

Extreme Veteran
i can relate!
(i'm making the jump from try a tri & sprint to the Oly distance too!)
& i just upgraded from my mountain bike too

see you in Wasaga!!
Laughing
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » bike help Rss Feed