General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half-Ironman as your first tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-04-18 10:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Arkansas
Subject: Half-Ironman as your first tri

Long story short, I was a runner for quite a number of years until two years ago when I had to have a hip replacement (due to a trama when I was 14, I'm 39 now). No running for at least a year on doctor's orders but was cleared to ride a bike. Fell in love with cycling and even did okay in lower level races. Got clearance last summer to run again, so I started slowly and at some point decided I would like to do triathlons. Started swimming last fall. Haven't fell in love with it but it's not so bad Smile

I've been training pretty hard for a few months with no specific target tri event. I wanted to see how my hip would hold up to the 9+ mile runs. I've exceeded my own expectations and ran a half-marathon a couple of weeks ago faster than I ever did pre-hip replacement.

So, now I'm all fired up wanting to do a HIM soon, but I haven't done a tri of any distance. I did a duathlon a few weeks ago, so I've at least experienced the transition, but I haven't done a group swim in open water or obviously the swim to bike transition.

Kansas HIM is 9 weeks away (I think). I've looked at some training plans for HIMs, including the free one on here, and even though most are 16-20 week plans, the weekly work I've been doing for the past few months exceeds most of the early parts of the plans. I think I could just pick up a plan with the remaining weeks and be ready for it, but I can't figure out if I'm trying to talk myself into or out of going for it.

Would love some opinions on whether or not you would do a HIM as your very first tri, especially knowing my history. Thanks and sorry for being so wordy.

2011-04-18 11:11 AM
in reply to: #3452480

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Half-Ironman as your first tri
I am newer to this compared to most on this board but if you need to ask the question you may have some doubts, so what is the rush?  why dont you do a sprint or olympic distance first to get some experience than go for the HIM...There is a lot more than just being able to do the distance....ows skills, nutrition skills transisiton, prerace anxiety for some..etc....get that handled in a smaller race than go for it...but that is my .02 cents....but good for you coming back after THR and it sounds from your fitness like you will complete that HIM soon  whether you do this race or another one..good luck

Edited by FELTGood 2011-04-18 11:15 AM
2011-04-18 11:14 AM

User image

Master
Houston

I don't know about Kansas, but I can find a sprint or Oly almost every weekend in Houston... if not there is one within a 4 hour drive.

Why not sign up for a sprint in a week or 2, then an Oly after that and still have time to do the HIM?

Just consider them training for the HIM, but mostly for the OWS start.

2011-04-18 11:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast Michigan
Agree with the previous posters.  Sign up for a sprint in the interim as a way to get your feet wet with the race experience. 
2011-04-18 11:20 AM

User image

Veteran
I can only comment as a newbie with one sprint under my belt.  I'm 27 and consider myself a really good athlete but I'm so happy that I started with a sprint.  I want to get up to the full ironman status but the sprint really acted as an eye opener with everything.  I'm first a runner but there's so much to learn about adapting yourself to all three sports.  I listed after the race all my weak aspects and it was not a short list but I did have a great time.  I'm sure a first tri HIM is doable as i've read several articles with people doing it but I was happy that I got a sprint first.   Hope this helps
2011-04-18 11:20 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2011-04-18 11:26 AM

From what you describe your level of fitness is, most likely you can finish a HIM. The key word is finish. Only you can answer if you are ready for the mental as well as the physical demand this distance puts on your body. You will be going for 5+ hours straight so you will need to figure out what your body needs in regards to nutrition and hydration to make it through.

A triathlon, especially HIM and IM distances are more then just being able to swim, bike or run the distances individually. You need to be ready to do them back to back to back. I learned this hard way in my first HIM. Even though I had done a few bricks, I did not realize how much the swim and especially the bike had taken out of me about half way through the run. I had pushed hard on the bike to meet my time goal and paid for it. I had nothing left part way through the run and did the survival shuffle the last few miles to make it to the finish.

My advice is not to set anytime goals, just stay within yourself. Pace yourself in the swim and bike so you have something left to make it through the run.

Best of Luck if you decide to go for it.

Edited by browncd 2011-04-18 11:30 AM
2011-04-18 11:29 AM

Elite
Laguna Beach

I did my first triathlon in 1984. It was a half Ironman. I seem to recall it was in Lansing, Michigan and may have been called "The Big 10 Triathlon".

I did the race on effectively no training. I had run marathons and could ride a bike, but wasn't an endurance athlete. The race was huge- almost 200 people. Back then, that was massive.

I was second from last.

It was a long day but I was hooked. I got through it, it wasn't pretty. I went back to the drawing board and started training. There were literally no (as in, not even one...) books on training for triathlons yet so I just made it up. In my second race, a sprint distance event months later at Metro Beach put on by a guy named Joe Smetenka, I was second overall.

You have a decent amount of experience and the sport has come a long way. There is a significant amount of training literature out there and I think you've already taken advantage of that.

You'll likely have a good race. Do take care of that hip though.

2011-04-18 11:34 AM

Veteran
Jacksonville
Go for it.
2011-04-18 11:44 AM

Melon Presser

I am an idiot as far as saying DO IT (I'll almost always say do it unless there's an immediate threat of serious injury or death), so take that with my 2 cents.

I might see a sports-savvy doc about that hip and ask whether this is a plausible idea.

I might practice transitions ... a lot (and almost all HIMs include a LOT of walking or running in BIG transition areas, so factor that in, too).

In your case, and I sure wouldn't recommend this for everyone, I might try a long-ish brick 3-4 weeks out.

You could jump into a HIM training plan and see how the next few weeks go.

I've seen people do a HIM as their first tri with levels of preparation ranging from zero (although some endurance background and knew how to swim well) to exceedingly well prepared, mighta even been able to swing an IM.

As far as race execution goes, I'd treat it more as an experience and be prepared to UNDERpush yourself, particularly on the bike. Aim to finish and enjoy the experience. Actually ... that goes for anybody's first time race.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do! Kansas doesn't fill up fast, does it?

2011-04-18 11:47 AM

Extreme Veteran
NW Arkansas

Wow. Thanks for all the feedback. I don't post a lot but do read a lot, and the thing I love most about it here is that you can ask a question and not get ripped about it.

There really isn't a hurry for me. I'm just an adrenaline junkie and long, grueling races or events do it for me. I'm in northwest Arkansas and a number of local guys are doing Kansas, which is what got me thinking about it in the first place. I like to push myself but this is really probably too much.

There aren't any local tris between now and then. All of our local events are after Kansas. Memphis in May and Route 66 (OKC) are between now and Kansas, and those are OLY, I think. They are long drives but it may be worth doing one of those and if they go really well then I could make a decision.

I sincerely appreciate all the feedback. Keep 'em coming!

2011-04-18 11:53 AM
in reply to: #3452625

Extreme Veteran
NW Arkansas
TriAya - 2011-04-18 11:44 AM

In your case, and I sure wouldn't recommend this for everyone, I might try a long-ish brick 3-4 weeks out.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do! Kansas doesn't fill up fast, does it?

I was thinking about doing some longer bricks. What distances or range would you recommend? I'm going to go ahead and pick up with a HIM plan, like you say, and see how it goes for the next few weeks. I think Kansas doesn't fill up too fast, so I can make a judgement call later. And if at that time it happens to be full, then it wasn't meant to be.

I'm definitely signing up for Branson, but it's in September.

2011-04-18 11:56 AM

Veteran
Columbus

Sounds like you have the mindset down but here is something from someone thinking the first tri would be easy.  I came in being able to swim the distance (400M) slowly but could get it done without a problem.  Biking was short and running is my background so I thought this would be another training day pretty much.

Let's just say the amount of energy exerted is more than you would in practice.  The nerves start from the second you wake up, you have a strong focus requiring more energy, and then you set out at a blazing pace because the adrenaline is pumping.  I was BEAT after finishing!  I did hammer through the bike and run knowing it was a short distance and for longer races I would be able to slow my pace down knowing I would have to make it the distance.

Work on nutirition and endurance would be my pointers.  Also something I followed that everyone says....Nothing New on Race Day!

Good luck

2011-04-18 12:04 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-04-18 12:18 PM
in reply to: #3452656

Melon Presser
RazorTri - 2011-04-19 1:53 AM
TriAya - 2011-04-18 11:44 AM

I was thinking about doing some longer bricks. What distances or range would you recommend? I'm going to go ahead and pick up with a HIM plan, like you say, and see how it goes for the next few weeks. I think Kansas doesn't fill up too fast, so I can make a judgement call later. And if at that time it happens to be full, then it wasn't meant to be.

I'm definitely signing up for Branson, but it's in September.

Like gvey said above, I'd try about a 40 to 45 miler with a 6 to 9 run after. No need to do race pace and in fact, you shouldn't.

2011-04-18 12:42 PM

Expert
Boise, ID

Go for it. Don't set a time goal, just have fun, should be no problem.

My second tri was a HIM and I was not prepared well at all. It took seven hours but I had a great time despite the rain/wind/ 50 degree weather.

Have fun!

2011-04-18 12:46 PM
in reply to: #3452673

Elite
gvey - 2011-04-18 1:04 PM

Do it.  Sometime in the next two or three weeks, go ride about 40 miles and then run 6 - 8 miles.  If you can do that (reasonably) comfortably, you'll be fine.  If you can work it in, go for a swim first.

A group of my friends and me are doing Boise 70.3.  For three of them, it will be their first triathlon.

Have fun and good luck.

This is why I try to read all threads if possible, you can always pick up some good info on them even if it is not your question...this as well as triaya post is great advice.....I was thinking of this question the other day on what would be a unofficial test to now if you are ready to at least complete the distance...thanks....i am doing my first HIM in Oct and I think this is good general advice

2011-04-18 12:51 PM

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

I think it depends on the type of person you are, some people like to go big right away, others like to start small and build.  both strategies can work.

my general advice would be to do a shorter race first, then the HIM.

my concern would be how closely your ad-hoc training will match the HIM training plan. Which is important not to bypass, because you will be out on the course for approx 6 hours.

I know from my experience, getting off the bike after 56 miles and trying to run a HM isn't easy. Training has been the determining factor in my performance.

2011-04-18 1:02 PM

Master
Redlands, CA

I'd do a few open water swims, and if you are completely comfortable with those, I would go ahead and do it.  Some weird things happen in the water and if you aren't comforable just swimming, the masses of people can make a stressful situation alot worse.  Just last week some guy grabbed both my legs and used me for a towboat, causing me to swallow some water and go under for a few seconds. 

There's also no shame in taking your time and building from a sprint to a HIM. 

2011-04-18 5:56 PM

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX
My first triathlon was a HIM. Back then they didn't have anything less than a HIM (I think, early 80s).  I didn't even train for the run.    But I was a fish and cycled enough.  I made it but it wasn't pretty on the run.  I was VERY done by the end.    I'd go for it if I were you.
2011-04-18 6:30 PM

Veteran
Colorful Colorado

My first tri was a HIM.  In fact, my first open water swim was the HIM.  I freaked out in the first 50 yards of the swim, but then got myself under control and kept going. On the one hand, I wish I had done a few OW swims in preparation.  On the other hand, that experience gave me a boatload of swimming confidence.

The race took me a long time.  It hurt.  I felt like puking. But I finished. 

Best. Experience. Ever.

If you're the type who looks for a challenge, I say go for it.  But as someone mentioned, watch the hip during training.  It can be harder than you think to make it to the starting line.

Edited by rockymtnhigh 2011-04-18 6:31 PM

2011-04-18 7:42 PM
in reply to: #3452673

gvey - 2011-04-18 7:04 AM

Do it.  Sometime in the next two or three weeks, go ride about 40 miles and then run 6 - 8 miles.  If you can do that (reasonably) comfortably, you'll be fine.  If you can work it in, go for a swim first.

In other words...do an Olympic distance race first??? 

2011-04-18 7:53 PM

Do it. My first tri was Switzerland 70.3. It might just be about finishing but if it is what you want to do, go for it and have fun.
2011-04-18 8:21 PM
in reply to: #3453583

Veteran
Massachusetts
rockymtnhigh - 2011-04-18 7:30 PM

My first tri was a HIM.  In fact, my first open water swim was the HIM.  I freaked out in the first 50 yards of the swim, but then got myself under control and kept going. On the one hand, I wish I had done a few OW swims in preparation.  On the other hand, that experience gave me a boatload of swimming confidence.

The race took me a long time.  It hurt.  I felt like puking. But I finished. 

Best. Experience. Ever.

If you're the type who looks for a challenge, I say go for it.  But as someone mentioned, watch the hip during training.  It can be harder than you think to make it to the starting line.

Mine too!  I had the best learning experience ever.  I had a great swim I kept to the side and out of traffic.  I started bonking a mile into the run.  I almost fainted 100y from the finish line.  I got to have oxygen after I finished.  Hell yeah!...I failed my nutrition.  This was one thing I didn't look into before my race, make sure you do.

If your hip will be OK, make a go of it, have fun, and be prepared for a little suffering.  I don't think there is any need for a sprint or OLY first.  Take your time in transition, its a long race, you have time. 

2011-04-18 8:52 PM

Go for it, be honest with yourself and if what you've been doing for the past couple months exceeds the earlier stages of some training plans, then I think 9 weeks is ample time to prepare yourself to complete a HIM.

My first triathlon was set to be a HIM, 2 weeks before however I did an Olympic distance on a day's notice just so that I wouldn't have any prerace jitters.  Take care of your hip, get some time in the pool, listen to your body, and familiarize yourself with the technical aspects of racing having to do with pacing and nutrition and you'll be great!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half-Ironman as your first tri Rss Feed  

of 2