Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Verizon Smart Phones Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-09-24 7:55 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa
Subject: Verizon Smart Phones

I went to a couple of Verizon stores near me and talked to a few of the sales people to find out their thoughts on the smart phones they sell.  I need to get one for work purposes, and we use Verizon for our entire family, so that is what I need to get.  So, the techs/sales people recommend not getting an I-Phone, because of the failure rate they are getting on them, and the costs of getting the "APPS" for the I-Phone, but the droids don't have the same costs for the apps.

For those of you on Verizon using smart phones, what do you say?

2011-09-24 8:54 AM
in reply to: #3698745

User image

Veteran
Parrish, Florida
Subject: RE: Verizon Smart Phones
I've got a Droid X2 through Verizon and my wife just picked up the Droid Incredible. We both love our phones. Though, to be honest these have been our first Smart Phones so we don't have much to compare them too. And I know you'll get some on here who love the I-Phones, but we were swayed by the fact that the Android market has tons of free apps. Makes it nice to try different apps knowing if you don't like it you can just uninstall with no loss.

The availability of the free apps and the ability to customize a bit more than what I understood you can do on the I-Phones pushed us to the Droids and we haven't regretted it. Of course, I do have some I-Phone friends who like to tell me (often) how I made the wrong choice. Of course, they never tell me why that is, just that I did!

2011-09-24 9:04 AM

User image

Master
Albuquerque

I'm on Verizon and have the Samsung Charge. Had the first Motorola Droid when they came out too. Love the Droid platform.

I would say if you get one, get a 4g compatible phone so when you get 4g in your area you won't have to upgrade your phone early if you start itching for 4g service.

2011-09-24 11:14 PM

User image

Regular

whatever you do,

DO NOT

DO NOT

DO NOT even look at a blackberry. i've had more problems with the two i've had (one was a replacement), in a year and a half than i've had with all 5 of my previous phones. I'd go Droid incredible/X or iPhone.

2011-09-24 11:42 PM

User image

Veteran
I have had both, but the iphone was a ver2 so it may be better now. I prefer the Droid OS, any maker. I found the iphone slow, only one app at a time, too sensitive on the touch screen, and just too big. The apps are about the same cost for both platforms, and both have a huge free section. Droid looks to be able to utilize 4g more than the others. I actually hated my iphone. It did everything just ok, except make phone calls. It was useless as a phone. Every time I put it to my face I hung up on whoever called. It was only usable in speaker mode. That is so unprofessional, and it drove me nuts. I finally got to where I told all my employees not to call me, just txt me and I will call them. It was also too big to fit in most of my pant pockets, and too heavy to put in the coat pockets.
2011-09-24 11:49 PM

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID
****PSA****

My brother in law started working for ATT resale store a few months ago. Don't listen to the sales people about the iPhone. There is one reason they don't recommend the iPhone, they get CRAP commission off of it. My brother in law gets a metric for sales off of phones he sells.

If he sells a couple of Android phones with text, data etc he'll get around $350 towards his commission goals. He sells the same family 2 iphones with unlimited data/talking/text etc etc etc, he gets.................$25 per phone. Thats it. He hates the iPhone, not because of the phone, but because of the commission. So they are bias for that reason.

Now, the android might be what you want, and that is fine, but don't let their opinion be the one you listen to.

2011-09-24 11:53 PM

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID
Most all the concerns that Dragonbear had no longer are true of the iPhone fyi.

2011-09-25 7:39 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Blackberry is out for me.  Too many people I know have had at least 2 to 7 replacements.  Their remanufactured are junk and that is your replacement.  A co-worker has had 5 replacements in 6 months and finally got Verizon to upgrade him to I-Phone.  He has hung up on my three times while speaking.  He says it works fine in speaker mode, but he hangs up on people sometimes when he talks, unless he keeps the phone away from his face and only has the speaker near his ear.

Looks like I will be headed towards the droids.  Now to figure out what they have and what is best for me.

2011-09-25 9:18 AM

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID
flip18436572 - 2011-09-24 6:55 AM

I went to a couple of Verizon stores near me and talked to a few of the sales people to find out their thoughts on the smart phones they sell.  I need to get one for work purposes, and we use Verizon for our entire family, so that is what I need to get.  So, the techs/sales people recommend not getting an I-Phone, because of the failure rate they are getting on them, and the costs of getting the "APPS" for the I-Phone, but the droids don't have the same costs for the apps.

For those of you on Verizon using smart phones, what do you say?

By the way, the bolded part is a complete lie. Apps cost about the same on either platform (And the Apple App Store is the largest app store in the world). I would highly recommend an iPhone (Have had an android phone as well) and if you have time, looks like the iPhone 5(or 4S) comes out in early Oct. iOS 5 will also come out and will be a huge improvement on the software that I already believe is better than the Android OS.

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios5/

Edited by bradword 2011-09-25 9:19 AM
2011-09-25 1:07 PM

User image

Expert
NoVA
I've borrowed both types of phone and the iphone sure seems to work "better" for internet---could be a difference in providers too though.  I'm with Verizon also and looking to upgrade for wife and I and like the iphone BUT hate it!!!  Let's just say they are asking for trouble in a lot of ways---as in theft and I don't just mean you leave it laying around---I'm talking the groups of "kids" that will grab it from you as you talk on it---not sure I want that for my wife..........hmmm.........
2011-09-25 1:51 PM

User image

Pro

I am very happy with my iPhone. It's my third one. Even though I work in tech, I just want a phone that works and I have no desire to play 'under the hood.' Although all my developers have Droids. Both work well, but from what I've seen the iPhone interface is cleaner and more intuitive. No flash though, which is sometimes an inconvenience.

Keep in mind that on Verizon you will NOT be able to surf the web and talk on the phone at the same time. Now that is a major inconvenience. I'm constantly looking things up while talking on the phone.

2011-09-25 10:04 PM

User image

I went in yesterday, same question coming off the original Droid.  I like the bionic but its $$$, but the sales guy said he recently switched to the iphone and loves it.  Only problem is the 5 comes out, is it 4G LTE or not?  Would I notice, etc....
2011-09-26 8:45 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Agree that the sales dude is smoking crack.  Iphone's are great phones and most of the Droid phones are really good as well.  For me it's a personal preference thing.  Whichever look/feel and functionality you like better is the one you should go with.

I recently upgraded to the 4G Droid Bionic and absolutely love it.  getting 25MB down and 8MB up all over town is ansane, so I'd strongly recommend waiting for the Iphone 5 (hoping it's 4G) or going with a 4G droid phone if it's not.  

2011-09-26 10:10 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I would recommend a search of CoJ on this topic, it has been hashed out quite a few times with some good info in the various threads.

That said, I have had both and I prefer the iPhone. Yes the droid is more customizable, which is cool for the first week. Then you really just want your phone to work when you need it. This is where the iPhone blows android out of the water for me. The iPhone is quick, easy, intuitive, and always works without a hiccup. No, I can't re-arrange my widgets every day, but I don't want to.

I would recommend waiting for the iPhone 5, the iOS 5 update is coming soon and will make some very nice changes. I can't imagine that the iPhone 5 won't be 4g. If you want 4g, wait till the 5 comes out, if you don't need it, pick up an iPhone 4 with the iOS 5 update for dirt cheap.

Bottom line is both platforms work, they just skin the cat in different ways, everyone will have an opinion on which is better for them, you just have to figure out which is better for you.

ETA: One of the major problems I have with the android platform is the fact that it is open to further development, which is it's strength as well as it's weakness. Every manufacturer will have a different flavor of android so you have to take that into consideration when picking out a phone. The problem is, when android comes up with an update, the various phone manufacturers have to update their tweaks to android before you get the update. So when I had an HTC droid phone, the latest and greatest android update was out for no less than 18 months before the update was made available to the HTC phones on Sprint. Yes, the carriers get a say in when it comes out too. So to get an update with android it has to come from google, go to HTC to get tweaked, then go to the carrier for final approval. If you have a slightly older phone that isn't the latest craze, you will get no love and will wait forever to get the update. With the iPhone, it comes from Apple straight to you, everyone gets it right away.

Edited by Aarondb4 2011-09-26 10:16 AM
2011-09-26 11:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

I have a first generation Droid..so sick of the force close issues. I havent had an software update in gosh knows how long, and when I first got the phone I got them pretty regularly. The only thing I love about the Droid is the google maps gps/ car dock. Works like a regular GPS. No cost to you. Ive heard that Iphone has the app but not sure there is a car dock. Im also not thrilled with virtual keyboards but its something I imagine I can get used to, to avoid the not stop force close. Basically the operating system farts in just about any app Im in and I have to start over. Maybe its because of the phones age (18months) or a virus but not happy with it. Also the phone wont stay connected to wifi at work or at home..randomly disconnects.

Im holding out for the iphone 5.

2011-09-26 1:31 PM
in reply to: #3700552

User image

trirific10 - 2011-09-26 9:51 AM

I have a first generation Droid..so sick of the force close issues. I havent had an software update in gosh knows how long, and when I first got the phone I got them pretty regularly. The only thing I love about the Droid is the google maps gps/ car dock. Works like a regular GPS. No cost to you. Ive heard that Iphone has the app but not sure there is a car dock. Im also not thrilled with virtual keyboards but its something I imagine I can get used to, to avoid the not stop force close. Basically the operating system farts in just about any app Im in and I have to start over. Maybe its because of the phones age (18months) or a virus but not happy with it. Also the phone wont stay connected to wifi at work or at home..randomly disconnects.

Im holding out for the iphone 5.

The Verizon sales rep showed me his mapquest app, he says it gives turn by turn and voice just like the droid gps.   I have the car dock but it has started coming "unstuck" from the window and pops off randomly, so stopped using it. 

One thing I've read on a few sites is there are reasons the IP 5 won't have 4G, it's simply not ready, battery size issues, etc.  But they warned that they might call it 4G, but it probably won't be 4G LTE.  So it'll be 4G if you're on sprint, but not on verizon.  I wonder if I'd even notice a difference between 3 and 4 g

And the android customizeable thing, I'm not even sure I know what I could do with the phone, so I haven't (at least I don't think so).  In the end, as said, i just want it to be a phone and to get on the net.

2011-09-27 5:24 AM
in reply to: #3700170

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
tuwood - 2011-09-26 9:45 AM

Agree that the sales dude is smoking crack.  Iphone's are great phones and most of the Droid phones are really good as well.  For me it's a personal preference thing.  Whichever look/feel and functionality you like better is the one you should go with.

I recently upgraded to the 4G Droid Bionic and absolutely love it.  getting 25MB down and 8MB up all over town is ansane, so I'd strongly recommend waiting for the Iphone 5 (hoping it's 4G) or going with a 4G droid phone if it's not.  

THIS!
2011-09-27 7:11 AM

User image

Veteran

I work for a telecommunications company and one of the main reasons you may be swayed from an IPhione is the fact that with its functionality and abundant APP's it really sucks up the bandwidth and is actually slowing down the wireless infratstructure of Verison and other providers alike.

Most providers are transitioning to LTE as it will provide greater bandwidth abilities to meet the ever growing consumption by smartphones. LTE is incredibley fast however depends on where you are in relation to the towers footprint and the surrounding terrian ie: hills, buildings etc.

Really at the end of the day...it becomes a personal choice as to which smartphone you like or is pushed on you thru sales and marketing....the speed at which it operates is solely dependant on the newtork you choose.

2011-09-27 11:09 AM
in reply to: #3701634

User image

Extreme Veteran
Not Quite DFL

Which phone (or phones) is it that have the ability to be a "hot spot"?  I recently won an Ipad2 (WiFi only - no 3G) - but no wireless internet at home.  Looking at the most cost effective way to make this not be an expensive paperweight.  The Verizon MiFi is $50 per month, and there is a $35 activation fee.  I have the 1st Gen. Droid currently.

Thank you in advance

2011-09-27 2:07 PM
in reply to: #3702103

User image

Pro
crimefighter2 - 2011-09-27 9:09 AM

Which phone (or phones) is it that have the ability to be a "hot spot"?  I recently won an Ipad2 (WiFi only - no 3G) - but no wireless internet at home.  Looking at the most cost effective way to make this not be an expensive paperweight.  The Verizon MiFi is $50 per month, and there is a $35 activation fee.  I have the 1st Gen. Droid currently.

Thank you in advance

The iphone has this ability.  But Verizon does charge you... I think $30/mo.  What I don't know is if you can surf the wifi and talk on the phone at the same time.  possibly not.  But, we haven't seen the new iphone 5, being announced next week.

to the OP.  Wait for the iphone 5 announcement next week.  iphones are terrific.  They may not compare feature by feature- but the user interface is so well thought out, they're just fun and obvioius to use.  Everything is just very slick.  Androids aren't a bad choice, but there's a reason why the apple products are so popular.  I love my iphone.  And- no shortage of great apps.  Many are free, those that aren't are only a few bucks.  Like buying a cup of coffee.  Plus the whole searching for apps, reading reviews and buying apps is much slicker on the apple products.

2011-09-27 8:40 PM

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID
iPhone event officially announced for Oct 4th at 10am PST.

Edited by bradword 2011-09-27 8:40 PM

2011-09-28 9:22 AM
in reply to: #3702103

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
crimefighter2 - 2011-09-27 12:09 PM

Thank you in advance

Well most places you take the Ipad to (work,airports,alot of restaurants, libraries etc.) have free wifi. I would suggest you get wifi at home..its sure cheaper than $50 a month. I have a friend that bought an Ipad and will buy a bundle data pkg (not sure what that consists of) that she uses when she is on trips in case she is at a place that doesnt have free wifi. (I think it costs $30per bundle) she doesnt have a plan per say... Just buys it when she needs it.

2011-09-28 10:22 AM
in reply to: #3703451

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
trirific10 - 2011-09-28 9:22 AM

Thank you in advance

Well most places you take the Ipad to (work,airports,alot of restaurants, libraries etc.) have free wifi. I would suggest you get wifi at home..its sure cheaper than $50 a month. I have a friend that bought an Ipad and will buy a bundle data pkg (not sure what that consists of) that she uses when she is on trips in case she is at a place that doesnt have free wifi. (I think it costs $30per bundle) she doesnt have a plan per say... Just buys it when she needs it.

On my droid bionic the "hotspot" feature is $30/mo. over and above my data charge and everything else.  Fortunately I'm grandfathered in and get unlimited data for the $30.

Other than the price the 4G hotspot is unfreeking believable fast.  You could seriously use it for your home internet broadband and cancel your home internet if you wanted it.  It's that good.

2011-09-28 12:06 PM
in reply to: #3703551

User image

tuwood - 2011-09-28 8:22 AM
trirific10 - 2011-09-28 9:22 AM

Thank you in advance

On my droid bionic the "hotspot" feature is $30/mo. over and above my data charge and everything else.  Fortunately I'm grandfathered in and get unlimited data for the $30.

Other than the price the 4G hotspot is unfreeking believable fast.  You could seriously use it for your home internet broadband and cancel your home internet if you wanted it.  It's that good.

So if you're grandfathered in you don't pay the $30 for the hotspot, just the $30 for unlimited?

And for someone who doesn't know much... having it as a hotspot is the same as having say wi-fi in your house? 

2011-09-28 1:41 PM
in reply to: #3703774

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID
Chris,

Being grandfathered into the iPhone unlimited plan actually stops you from doing tethering (legit without jailbreaking). What tethering does is allows you to connect with USB cable, bluetooth or make your phone into a mini wireless station. I have it for work, so I get 2 extra GB on top of the 2GB I pay for. I can enable the hot spot and connect up to 5 additional devices to it over wifi. I usually use it for my iPad, laptop etc. It works very well.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Verizon Smart Phones Rss Feed  

of 2