General Discussion Triathlon Talk » America's Running Routes - USATF database Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-01-09 5:03 PM

User image

Expert
MD
Subject: America's Running Routes - USATF database
Have any of you used this new service provided free of charge by USATF? It's pretty cool. I've been using it to plan out my long runs while training for a March marathon. This is an online database of running routes people have mapped out. You can search for a running route by distance, location, etc and get labeled maps and satellite images of the route, with mile markers (or KM markers for the metrically advanced society) and total mileage.

You can also use the online mapping tool to map out your own routes and store them for future reference. People can go online and provide reviews of each route if they so desire.

To see the routes I've input as an example go to the Search Database feature and enter my hometown (Sykesville) in the 'city' search field.

http://www.usatf.org/routes/

2006-01-09 5:30 PM
in reply to: #320128

User image

molto veloce mama
Subject: RE: America's Running Routes - USATF database
cool! it seems to use the same pedestrian map i've been using here: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

i love that you can save the routes entered and search for other ones. thanks for posting the link!

2006-01-09 5:38 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
Haven't tried USATF's site, but I have used www.mapmyrun.com to share some routes. It's the same concept, but mapmyrun has more routes already registered, at least in my area. I didn't find anything on the USATF site.
2006-01-09 6:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Redondo Beach, CA
I think both America's Running Routes on the USATF site and MapMyrun.com are fairly new so neither has a ton of existing maps. I like MapMyRun better for plotting a route as the USATF site puts a "Finish" sign on every new point you plot on the map as though it might be the last one, hence the "finish". Sometimes this stupid little sign gets in the way of my next point to plot. On the other hand the USATF site gives you a choice of either mile markers or kilometer markers along your route. Now if these guys could just look at each other's sites and make the appropriate improvements, it would be really hard to choose one!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » America's Running Routes - USATF database Rss Feed