BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf mentor group is [ Closed ] Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 73

2012-04-02 3:44 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: Baowolf mentor group is [ Closed ]

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Now.

NAME: Baowolf/ Steve

STORY: When I was a young I loved to swim, waterskii, windsurf, surf, rollerskate/blade, wrestle, fish, skateboard, cross country ski, downhill ski, you know the fun stuff. Then I grew up, spent 12 years collecting degrees, BA, MA, Ph.D., another MA, and acquiring credentials and pounds as I did not have time to exercize and study and work while raising a family and doing 8 to 48 hours shifts at work. Then I turned 40 , noticed that I weighed 180 pounds, pants fit too tight and that I lived in the middle of nowhere with no athletic facilities whatsoever. Yes 100 miles to the nearst McDonolds or stoplight.  I thought to myself, hrm I out of shape, but I am secure in my job and have my family established, have achieved many of my goals and need some new ones.  So after a bit of research and finding my way to BT I decided that traithlon was an individual sport that I wanted to do. I would never master all 3 sports and could lose weight and go on adventures, so I signed up, with no history of real swimming, biking or running. My fitness level was such that I could jog 1 mile at a 10:30/11:00 mpm pace, bike on my K-Mart mountain bike 4 miles at 12 mph and well I didn't actually know how to do freestyle. Short story long, I am now 25 pounds lighter, have lost nearly 10 inches off my waist, have now completed 2 HIMs, 3 IM's, 3 open marathons including Boston (and nearly all of the standard distance tris and run races).  I have a HIM in 2 weeks, another HIM 3 months later and an end of the year IM.  

FAMILY STATUS: I am happily married for 22 years to my very supportive wife who has completed 1 sprint triathlon.  I have 5 children ranging from 1st grade to College, 1 cat and 1 dog.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am currently semi-bike focused (SBR 3x4x5) with Napa HIM coming up in two weeks (March totals: B 645, R 177, S 25,000 ish).  I will be building for a faster HIM in July and an IM at the end of the year with maybe a half mary thrown in there somewhere and a run race or two.  I belive in building a strong base and only adding in speedwork once your body is ready for it, to minimize injury. At 45 I can't just charge off like a bull anymore, but have to be a little more systematic in my training. In general I prefer the longer events, IM, Mary, but also will run a 5k or sprint. A typical workout week is base 10 to max 27 hours depending on where I am in the season.

2011 RACES:  In 2011 I hit a PR 3 mile run in March (17:58), ran in the Boston Marathon (pulled hamstring, 3:28 ish), 4 miler in April,  and Prd an IM at Vineman (11:40:18) in July and did the Crater Lake Centuray ride in August.  

2012 RACES: March 3 miler, April Napa HIM, April Burney trail 4 miler, July Fort Collins HIM, October Susnaville half mary (maybe), December Palm Springs IM/Full.  Maybe something else thrown in.  

WEIGHTLOSS: Since I started training for triathlons in 2007 I have lost 25 pounds and am now at 155.  I still have a few pounds to lose from winter when I was recovering from some muscle issues and had to take some time off, ideally I want to be 145 again by the end of July.  

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I have been actively involved on BT since 2007, have competed in Sprint, Oly, HIM and IM distance tris as well as running events that include 5k, 10 miler, half mary, 30k trail and full marathon. I have struggled with calf pulls, swimmers shoulder, broken collar bone, shin splints and have learned something about how to face these challenges. I check in on BT boards nearly daily and feel that I can provide others with some guidance based on my experience in the sport. I learned almost everything I know about the sport from the support I have received here and would like to give back to the extent that I can. Thank you for your consideration.

Edited by Baowolf 2012-04-08 8:25 PM

2012-04-04 11:15 AM
in reply to: #4125464

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: Baowolf mentor group is OPEN

Steve/Baowolf, I would like to join your group!

NAME: Jford2309/James

STORY: I have been doing tri's for almost 4 years now. I started out with only indoor races and sprints, but have gradually worked my up to longer distances. I completed my first HIM and marathon last year, and when I say I completed them, that's is accurate. My times were bead, so this year I have a new focus. I no longer want to be a completer, I want to be a competitor. I have been a mentor in the past, but I am looking to get in a group to help me maintain motivation and to train smart. I have committed to my first full IM in 2013, but I first want to rock a HIM and the marathon (or at least get a respectable time for me). I have also struggled in the past with being a better trainer than racer!

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 15 years with three boys, ages 12,11 and 3.

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently training for an Olympic distance race on May 20, then I will switch to a HIM plan for Sept race, and finish off with a marathon in Dec. I will race some smaller B and C races between those three, but they are my main focus. I am using a BT plan which is balanced with 3 runs, 3 swims and 3 bikes a week currently.

2012 RACES: Coming up- Warriror Dash with wife (more of a fun thing to do with my bride), Memphis in May Oly, MightyMite Sprint, Sharpshooter Super Sprint, NashVegas Half Tri, St Jude Marathon. I will also participate in some soley running races that I use for training.

WEIGHT LOSS: Minimal, I trying to get around 183 for race weight, which only about 8-10lbs, but it is not a focus of mine.

2012-04-04 11:34 AM

Blairstown, NJ

Hello,

I would like to join your group! My goal is not for IM or even HIM this year. I started swimming with my daughter last year, most of the time spent on my back. I started swimming with her again this year and feel much better. Enough so that some friends coaxed me into entering a local Sprint Tri. While I would be happy to complete, the focus is to compete. The event is July 28. I am considering adding an event at the Timberman 70.3 (sprint).

I think this is a great way for me to stay in shape, and possibly travel with the family to see new places.  I am 45 and found it refreshing to see many people in my situation. look forward to the input and comradre.

Joe

2012-04-04 11:48 AM

User image

New user
Michigan

Sign me up! 

It says I should give a brief BIO so I'll keep it short and sweet:

about me:

My name is Mike and I'm 28.  Race-wise my tri experience is extremely limited.  I've completed 1 sprint distance tri this past fall.  Times weren't fantastic, but there's a reason for that:  I weighed about 350lbs at the time. 

Results:

Swim (0.5mi)--18:20 (including a long, slow, crowded run out of the water--actual swim time was around 15 minutes)

Bike--17.2 MI--time 57:47

Run--5 miles--57:58

For weighing 350lbs I was super satisfied with my race results. 

weightloss:

I've lost a little over 100lbs over the last year and I'm still counting.  About this time last year I decided I wanted to lose some weight.  I have a buddy who is really into tri's and he got me into the idea.  So, being in awful shape, I signed up for a tri and started working towards it.  The whole process and the race itself got me hooked.  I've got several races in my sights for this year, and I'm registered to do the Steelhead 70.3 in August. 

Goals for this mentor program:

I need some structure and accountability in my training regimens.  I'm new to posting at BT, but I'm not new to lurking.  I've found some amazing resources here, but I believe that I could benefit from something more formal and structured.  I also hope to give back.  I wouldn't call myself a weight loss expert, but I've certainly lost 100+lbs through tri-focused exercise so I'm happy to help anyone that's got weight to lose.

looking forward to working with you steve! thanks for volunteering your time and congrats on your sponsorship 

2012-04-04 12:16 PM

User image

Veteran

Steve, I want in...

NAME: utahrunner/Sterling

STORY: I'm a 42 year old from St. George, UT. I started Triathlon 3 years ago when I saw a race flyer for beginner triathlon race (200yd swim, 5 m bike, 1.5 m run),  the race killed me, but I was hook from that day on. I did the same race 6month later and rock it! Than I started some local OWS triathlon in the sprint, Olympic distances, and last year worked up to a HIM. I'm signed up again for the same HIM as I want the confident of that distance as my goal is next year to do finish St. George Iron man.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with three kids.

CURRENT TRAINING: I took it hard over the winter or at least I thought I did, as I did a half mary in February as well as my first triathlon (Leadman Triathlon) of the season.  I'm currently putting in 8-12 hours/week, hoping that will definitely be rising as the season progresses.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I just did the Leadman Triathlon in vegas last week. It was suppose to be a confident builder at a longer distance, but the weather & nutrition and hate to say it maybe under training did me in for my first ever DNF. (I'll get the race report out soon)

2012 RACES:  Show Down at Sun Down -  sprint (5/19), Utah Half (8/18), Kokopelli - sprint (9/15), St. George Marathon – (10/6), Pumpkin man - sprint (10/20).  Maybe a local half marathon in November.

WEIGHTLOSS: I haven’t loss anything since I have started triathlon, but I’m proud of my condition more than anything.

WHAT AM I LOOKING FOR OR GOALS:  Training/Learning what I need to know for my Iron man training & racing.  Get faster on the run & bike. 

2012-04-04 6:25 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

I'd like to join!

NAME: Mike_D/ Mike D (very original, huh?)

STORY: I'm 45, and just over 2 years off the couch. Lost 60 pounds since then. Got into tri's when asked to be the bike guy in a relay at the local sprint tri in June 2010. After doing it, I decided I had to do a race myself, and signed up for a race within a week. Could not run or swim, but learned fast . Currently training for a HIM which takes place on June 16th. Have one other sprint scheduled, and will sign up for a few other races, including a possible second HIM, soon.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 16 years, 2 kids - girls ages 12 + 9. .

CURRENT TRAINING: In week 11 of a 22 week Fink plan. using the Be Iron Fit competitive IM plan up to the HIM race at 22 weeks. Its getting busy and I'm doing OK. Can't wait to get the bike outside!

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I ran my first half marathon just over 2 weeks ago, and it was awesome! thinking hard about a full marathon this fall.

2012 RACES:  Patriot HIM 6/16, Cohasset sprint 6/24, others TBD

WEIGHTLOSS: down 60 pounds since I started this madness

WHAT AM I LOOKING FOR OR GOALS:  Consistent training, getting better on the bike, and enjoying the long runs.

Edited by Mike_D 2012-04-04 6:28 PM

2012-04-04 6:27 PM
in reply to: #4129743

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Trimi140 - 2012-04-04 12:48 PM

Sign me up! 

It says I should give a brief BIO so I'll keep it short and sweet:

about me:

My name is Mike and I'm 28.  Race-wise my tri experience is extremely limited.  I've completed 1 sprint distance tri this past fall.  Times weren't fantastic, but there's a reason for that:  I weighed about 350lbs at the time. 

Results:

Swim (0.5mi)--18:20 (including a long, slow, crowded run out of the water--actual swim time was around 15 minutes)

Bike--17.2 MI--time 57:47

Run--5 miles--57:58

For weighing 350lbs I was super satisfied with my race results. 

weightloss:

I've lost a little over 100lbs over the last year and I'm still counting.  About this time last year I decided I wanted to lose some weight.  I have a buddy who is really into tri's and he got me into the idea.  So, being in awful shape, I signed up for a tri and started working towards it.  The whole process and the race itself got me hooked.  I've got several races in my sights for this year, and I'm registered to do the Steelhead 70.3 in August. 

Goals for this mentor program:

I need some structure and accountability in my training regimens.  I'm new to posting at BT, but I'm not new to lurking.  I've found some amazing resources here, but I believe that I could benefit from something more formal and structured.  I also hope to give back.  I wouldn't call myself a weight loss expert, but I've certainly lost 100+lbs through tri-focused exercise so I'm happy to help anyone that's got weight to lose.

looking forward to working with you steve! thanks for volunteering your time and congrats on your sponsorship 

Holy Crap!! That is awesome!! Congrats!!!

2012-04-04 7:22 PM

User image

New user
Michigan
Thanks!!
2012-04-04 9:40 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Welcome James, feel free to chip in here this is a group project and I don't have all the answers.  The IM takes a lot of time and definately go strong on the bike and run for a solid experience.  You are going to want to get in 3-5 100-120 mile bikes in that IM build while stretching the swim out to 5000 yards and building the run to 17-18 mile long runs.  In an IM build it is important to have a solid base long before a 24 week build.  It is also important to take a day off when you need it and not get injured on the way.   

Welcome Joe.  I remember my first sprint.  You get nerves every time you up your distance.  A sprint is highly duable, just pick a plan and follow it.  Your first tri will be about building a base fitness level and having fun.  It is not to go out there and kill yourself trying to bike 25 mph and then run a 7 minute mile 8).  Walking is fine, breast stroke is fine, a mountain bike is fine.  Just start slow and build.  Let me know what your fitness level is: comfortable run, bike and swim distance at a casual place without stopping.

Edited by Baowolf 2012-04-04 10:14 PM
2012-04-04 10:04 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Mike, welcome and WOW 100 pounds!  A HIM is a huge undertaking, so lets get that base work started today 8).  Let me know what your current comfortable distances is in s/b/r/ pace and if you have a formal plan picked out yet.  6 months is a duable build for a first HIM, but you have some work in front of you.  Do you know your plan is for taking in calories during a HIM?  Do you have any questions about posting your workouts on BT?  Oh and that was a rocking bike time last year.

Welcome Sterling.  Nice goals IM is serious business and we will talk nutrition.  What did you eat/drink for your long course and what went wrong.  Nutrition is easy to fix.  I took in only half the calories I should have for my first HIM.... and walked the last 1 mile.  It was also 105 F at the Las Vegas Triathlon.  We need to work that out before your IM... at St. George?

Welcome Mike D.  Sounds like we have some Type A folks here, nice goals.  Do you have a solid race day nutrition plan?  What is your base miles/yards per week currently?  Glad you have a plan sounds like you are a well organized triathlete.  Where do you need help?

Alright, for those already here, lets hear your plans for how you will get fuilds, electrolytes and calories during your different upcoming races.  How will you prepare differently for a race in the heat or cold?  What are your current comfortable long distances in swim, bike and run. 

I'm currently swimming 3000 yards (2:00/100), biking 75 miles (18.8 mph on drainer) and running 16 miles (8:45-9:00 mpm)  for long workouts (last week) with a HIM in 2 weeks.  This is early base training for me and we go up from here and then add in speedwork after the HIM and recovery. 

Edited by Baowolf 2012-04-04 10:18 PM
2012-04-04 11:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

Hope I can join.  Steve, you helped me out a bit in my Full Vineman training and you were spot on.

NAME: Mitchparadise/ Mitch

STORY: I'm 40 years old.  I've only done 2 triathlons.  1 being the Full Vineman and the other was IM Oceanside 70.3 (last Saturday).  I'm a runner at heart.  Found I do like swimiing and have only been on the bike for a year

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 3 years.  1 daughter age 2.  And they're both absolutely amazing!

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm currently in a recovery week from My 70.3 last Saturday.  Plan on jumping right back in for another HIM in Sept, then maybe a full in Dec.  I try to get 4 runs, 3 bikes and 2 swims a week (key word is try).  I started using my indoor trainer for a lot of my cycle training and I have improved greatly since the Vineman last July.  I'm coming off a broken foot during my HIM training the last few months so I plan on being run focused for a bit here to get it back.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: Full Vineman, Long Beach Half Marathon, Xterra Trail run series (broke my foot on the 2nd one!) Multiple 10k's and 5k's...PR'd at all distances I ran last year 5k (21:08), 10k (44:46) Half Marathon (1:49:29)

2012 RACES:  IM Oceanside 70.3, Super Frog HIM, HITS Full Distance.  A few half marathons, trails races etc.... TBD

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm lucky enough to have to make sure I don't lose too much weight.

WHAT AM I LOOKING FOR OR GOALS:  Consistent training, Increased bike fitness, nutrition help and overall accountability on my training.

2012-04-05 5:38 AM
in reply to: #4131145

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Mitchparadise - 2012-04-05 12:04 AM .

Hope I can join.  Steve, you helped me out a bit in my Full Vineman training and you were spot on.

NAME: Mitchparadise/ Mitch

STORY: I'm 40 years old.  I've only done 2 triathlons.  1 being the Full Vineman and the other was IM Oceanside 70.3 (last Saturday).  I'm a runner at heart.  Found I do like swimiing and have only been on the bike for a year

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 3 years.  1 daughter age 2.  And they're both absolutely amazing!

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm currently in a recovery week from My 70.3 last Saturday.  Plan on jumping right back in for another HIM in Sept, then maybe a full in Dec.  I try to get 4 runs, 3 bikes and 2 swims a week (key word is try).  I started using my indoor trainer for a lot of my cycle training and I have improved greatly since the Vineman last July.  I'm coming off a broken foot during my HIM training the last few months so I plan on being run focused for a bit here to get it back.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: Full Vineman, Long Beach Half Marathon, Xterra Trail run series (broke my foot on the 2nd one!) Multiple 10k's and 5k's...PR'd at all distances I ran last year 5k (21:08), 10k (44:46) Half Marathon (1:49:29)

2012 RACES:  IM Oceanside 70.3, Super Frog HIM, HITS Full Distance.  A few half marathons, trails races etc.... TBD

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm lucky enough to have to make sure I don't lose too much weight.

WHAT AM I LOOKING FOR OR GOALS:  Consistent training, Increased bike fitness, nutrition help and overall accountability on my training.

Love that -- no screwin' around, lets just go big!!!

2012-04-05 5:47 AM
in reply to: #4131074

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Baowolf - 2012-04-04 11:04 PM

Welcome Mike D.  Sounds like we have some Type A folks here, nice goals.  Do you have a solid race day nutrition plan?  What is your base miles/yards per week currently?  Glad you have a plan sounds like you are a well organized triathlete.  Where do you need help?

Alright, for those already here, lets hear your plans for how you will get fuilds, electrolytes and calories during your different upcoming races.  How will you prepare differently for a race in the heat or cold?  What are your current comfortable long distances in swim, bike and run. 

Nutrition plan in ongoing. I found out the race will have HEED on the course, so I'm using that as part of my training. So far so good. No GI issues on long bikes w/it. I'm also experimenting with some solids like Stinger waffles, GU, etc. Nothing has been a problem, but am constantly trying out thing to see if something works better than others. Should have this all locked down within a couple weeks.

Base training right now? Last week was 7800 yards in the pool, about 20 miles running, and biked about 70. The HM I did a couple weeks back was a HUGE confidence boost as I'd never run that far at once in my life, and I finished in good shape. Current long workouts -- 3000 yd swim/50mile bike/10 mile run. By taper time, I'm looking to get swim to 8500+ yds/week, run up to 25+, and biking up to 90-100 mpw. Long sessions per my  plan peak out at 3500 yds/12mile/90mile. I feel like I'm in a good place with my fitness versus where I am training, but I do miss a workout or two a week due to family, work, etc. (never the long bike or run, though).  

I have to be organized or esle I'd get nothing done -- I get up at 4 AM weekdays to get my workouts in. Biking has all be trainer time so far, although I'm DYING to get out on the road.

As for fluids, I have a couple bottles on the bike, and with the exchanges on the course, I should be OK with taking a bottle or two while riding. Goal is 300 cal/hr on the bike.

2012-04-05 6:15 AM
in reply to: #4129831

Blairstown, NJ

I have been trainning on my old moutain bike and average in the 12-14MPH range. So I could definitely use some improvement on my speed as well. What do your bike workouts look like? I have a 10-11 mile loop I like to do from home. There is one hill at the beginning, followed by a quick down hill and then a fairly steady uphill the final 6miles or so. This has helped get my bike legs back. I have intentions to try a HIM next year and wonder what I have to look forward to.

Joe

2012-04-05 6:37 AM
in reply to: #4131032

Blairstown, NJ
Baowolf - 2012-04-04 9:40 PM

Welcome James, feel free to chip in here this is a group project and I don't have all the answers.  The IM takes a lot of time and definately go strong on the bike and run for a solid experience.  You are going to want to get in 3-5 100-120 mile bikes in that IM build while stretching the swim out to 5000 yards and building the run to 17-18 mile long runs.  In an IM build it is important to have a solid base long before a 24 week build.  It is also important to take a day off when you need it and not get injured on the way.   

Welcome Joe.  I remember my first sprint.  You get nerves every time you up your distance.  A sprint is highly duable, just pick a plan and follow it.  Your first tri will be about building a base fitness level and having fun.  It is not to go out there and kill yourself trying to bike 25 mph and then run a 7 minute mile 8).  Walking is fine, breast stroke is fine, a mountain bike is fine.  Just start slow and build.  Let me know what your fitness level is: comfortable run, bike and swim distance at a casual place without stopping.

Yes there are definitely nerves there. Remebering it is supposed to be fun and this is a long term change, not a fad, is what I am striving for.

Training for Pass-it-along Sprint Tri, .5M S, 10.8M bike, 5K on July 28th

Fitness level: Swim 3-4 times per week usually for an hour plus. Can freestyle 50M around 50S consistently with 15 sec rest. Breast stroke is more comfortable and have gone 600M straight. Still have a but of a mental thing going more than 75M free.

Bike: within the past couple week picked it up some. Usually put in 10-11miles averaging 12-14 MPH. This is using my old moutain bike but I have a nice Allez on lay away at the local bike shop. Can't wait!

Run: Probably my weakest event. Slowly building here with alternating run/walking. I can run a 2min 1/4 mile followed by 2 min walk for 4-5 reps.

I am impressed with some people's weight loss here. From about 245 lbs, I am down to 227 now, and feel great.

Joe

2012-04-05 6:45 AM
in reply to: #4130701

Blairstown, NJ
Mike_D - 2012-04-04 6:25 PM

Mike,

Does your family share your view of this being "madness". My wife is very supportive but has struggled with her own weight and is not ready to try this. My Mom looked at me like I was weird when she first heard the idea, although is supportive as well. My daughter (12) is a swimmer and probably thinks it is cool. She enjoys having me around in the pool when she practices.

The time seems like it could become an issue as there are still thing my wife want done around the house that I have less time to try and accomplish now. Not a big issue now and will take some work especially if I want to try bigger event.

Joe

2012-04-05 7:32 AM
in reply to: #4131074

User image

New user
Michigan
Baowolf - 2012-04-04 11:04 PM

Mike, welcome and WOW 100 pounds!  A HIM is a huge undertaking, so lets get that base work started today 8).  Let me know what your current comfortable distances is in s/b/r/ pace and if you have a formal plan picked out yet.  6 months is a duable build for a first HIM, but you have some work in front of you.  Do you know your plan is for taking in calories during a HIM?  Do you have any questions about posting your workouts on BT?  Oh and that was a rocking bike time last year.

Thanks! Yes HIM is definitely a huge undertaking, but I feel up to it.  I'm not exactly out to set course records at this point, the main goal is finishing with a time that's respectable within my current abilities.  

Race nutrition is a biggie for me.  I have vague ideas about what people generally do for nutrition on the bike/run, but I'm not sure how that would apply to someone my size.  I need more calories to sustain my body day- to-day than most people, so I would assume that would carry over proportionally in a race...but I have no way of knowing that.  

Last night I imported most of my training stuff since feb via Garmin.  I have some things categorized as "other" (Jacob's ladder/elliptical etc) that showed up as swims on BT, but other than that most of it looks correct-ish. 

I'm currently running between 18 and 25 miles per week, swimming around 2 miles per week, and biking has been pretty awful because of the weather and my hatred for the trainer. I can't seem to stay on the trainer for more than 30 minutes at a time, but it seems that I'm likely going to need to bite the bullet and get some long rides on it. 

As far as comfortable distances for s/b/r, i can swim all day (i might be the most naturally buoyant person on the planet) , my longest bike distance to date is 40mi (@17.5mph and 143 AVG HR) and my longest run is 8 miles (@9:50 and a 149 AVG HR).  I'm comfortable at all those distances provided I have the time to do them. 

Part of my problem right now is I don't have a solid schedule for training.  I do something significant every day (whether that be a run bike or swim) but I usually decide in the a.m. what I'll do that day, and then decide right before i start what my distance/time goals will be.  I don't think that's a sustainable training pattern when looking at long distance racing, so any (free) training plans you can recommend would be appreciated. 

Thanks again for your time! 

2012-04-05 9:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

Nutrition is a huge issue for me.  I have some stomach problems that makes things that much more difficult.  In the Full Vineman I was way too concentrated and after about mile 75 on the bike I could no longer take in any nutrition.  Let's just say it was quite a Marathon!

I now use Hammer Brand Perepetuem (it's Gluten free).  I make a multi-hour bottle with 6 scoops.  Makes about 800 calories.  I sip it over the 3 hours and it worked great in Oceanside.  On the Vineman I only had a 300 calorie bottle and made up the difference with gels.  After about 7 or 8 gels you've just had enough.  So far it's working and my stomach is handling it just fine.  Still not sure if it will work for the full distance...

My long workouts are pretty good.  Biking 60 (and building), swimming 3500 and only long run of 10 miles (coming off a broken foot) but will build to 13-15 miles.

2012-04-05 9:06 AM
in reply to: #4131232

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

Love that -- no screwin' around, lets just go big!!!

Yeah, I figured I'd just jump in with both feet and learn along the way!

2012-04-05 9:39 AM
in reply to: #4131283

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Tri-solar - 2012-04-05 7:45 AM

Mike,

Does your family share your view of this being "madness". My wife is very supportive but has struggled with her own weight and is not ready to try this. My Mom looked at me like I was weird when she first heard the idea, although is supportive as well. My daughter (12) is a swimmer and probably thinks it is cool. She enjoys having me around in the pool when she practices.

The time seems like it could become an issue as there are still thing my wife want done around the house that I have less time to try and accomplish now. Not a big issue now and will take some work especially if I want to try bigger event.

Joe

No, the family is pretty good about all of it, and like to see me race. Part of the reason is that much of my workouts are done while everyone is sleeping. I get up M-F at 4 AM to do it. Weekends, too, if there is a long ride, etc. It works out great for everyone.

2012-04-05 10:13 AM
in reply to: #4131657

User image

New user
Michigan
Mike_D - 2012-04-05 10:39 AM

No, the family is pretty good about all of it, and like to see me race. Part of the reason is that much of my workouts are done while everyone is sleeping. I get up M-F at 4 AM to do it. Weekends, too, if there is a long ride, etc. It works out great for everyone.

Same here.  I usually get my runs done during my lunch time and I'll add a bike in the evening or a swim in the morning depending on the day. Fortunately my kids are young enough that they're in bed by 7:30 ish which is plenty of time to get in a second run or bike ride. 

2012-04-05 2:27 PM
in reply to: #4131771

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Trimi140 - 2012-04-05 10:13 AM
Mike_D - 2012-04-05 10:39 AM

Same here.  I usually get my runs done during my lunch time and I'll add a bike in the evening or a swim in the morning depending on the day. Fortunately my kids are young enough that they're in bed by 7:30 ish which is plenty of time to get in a second run or bike ride. 

I am definately a get up early runner so it does not effect the family. I am lucky enough to have my gym close to home and work and lucky to have the flexibility to sneak away for a lunchtime swim. Lately I have been using my trainer for alot of riding due to parental obligations!  My next A race is a very flat bike course, so i am hoping the trainer won;t impeded me much.

2012-04-05 9:19 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Funny enough, today was the other end of the time spectrum. Took an extra hour of sleep this AM, knowing I had time tonight to get a trainer ride in. Kids in bed, wife out w/ the girls, so I spent some quality time on the bike with a workout video from the Sufferfest. Love their stuff. Anyone else use 'em?

Now off for a shower and bed. I'm tired!

Mike
2012-04-06 12:48 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

I'll try to keep up.  Mitch are you doing the Full IM in Palms Springs... which means you need to qualify with another HITS triathon.  Welcome to the group, looks like we are going to have a big mix of IMers and newer 2 tri folks.  We will have a lot of group wisdom for the newer folks, don't feel intimidated by the folks who have been at it longer.  We were all there at some point.  Sorry about the foot Mitch.

Mike any of the free beginner plans on BT will be fine.  For a HIM you will likely need to do 2 workouts a day some days.  I usually do 2 workouts every day.  But thats me 8). 

For the trainer I put on a netflix movie or series.  I have put in 2000 miles on the trainer this winter so far. 

So for longer races you are looking at 250-300 calories per hour on the bike and 200 ish caloreis per hour on the run.  I use Infinit on the bike 1 1100 calorie bottle for a HIM 2 for an IM and use Gu on the run 1 per 30 min ish.  On an IM it is best if I shift to just gatoraid for the last 8 ish miles of the run, especially if it is hot (95f + ). 

Run walk is fine, I have done it.  When I pulled a calf muscle I started walking 20 miles a week, then broght in the walk 4:00 jog 1:00 for a week (after 2 months) then 3:00/2:00 then 2:300, then 4/1 then all jog.  Is fine for building fitness as well.

For our mountain bike folks who have plans of doing a HIM... I recomend finding a road bike of some sort, used or whatever.  On a road bike you will be 3-4 mph faster at the same fitness which does not matter much for a sprint, but for a HIM you are talking a savings of over an hour for the same effort.... that gives you a free hour for the run.  It can be done on a mountain bike, but way less fun.  If you are on a mountain bike, make sure you have slicks on (tires that are smoother in the middle if not all over). 

Edited by Baowolf 2012-04-06 1:07 AM
2012-04-06 8:17 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
I'm not familiar with Infinit, so I'm curioius how you get 1100 calories into one bottle? Is this a matter of putting in multiple scoops of mix so its more  highly concentrated? I know with the HEED i've been using one packet of mix is about 100 cal/24 oz of water. On the bike, I'm going to need waaaay more in terms of calories & liquid. I'll have 2 bottle on the bike for my HIM and will have HEED in both. Do I just up the mix ratio?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf mentor group is [ Closed ] Rss Feed  

of 73