Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Warden Avenue Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-16 9:11 AM

User image

Subject: Warden Avenue

Did my first ride up Warden Avenue till just past Ravenshoe on Saturday.  More cyclists than I have seen on any other road and the car traffic was extremely respectful of the riders.  Saw a fair share of tri-bikes (don't own one personally).

Not sure why I'd never ridden it before considering I live in the east end of Markham.

Was a very nice ride, not counting the coming back into the wind with leg cramps.

2012-04-16 9:25 AM
in reply to: #4153136

User image

Hamilton, British Columbia
Subject: RE: Warden Avenue
my parents live a block from there (McCowan and Ravenshoe area) it's fantastic for cycling, rolling hills, pretty good pavement for country area and respectful drivers!
2012-04-16 6:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere, British Columbia

Yep, Warden is a good one. Kennedy and McCowan as well to go north/south.

Aurora, Vandorf and 19th are not too bad to go East/West

Avoid Woodbine... I took it last Saturday by mistake and it's not fun at all.

Up north, Catering/Ravencrest/MtPleasant are very very nice

2012-04-16 10:55 PM
in reply to: #4154519

User image

Vandorf  between Leslie and Bayview is just ugly from a road surface perspective.  I only rode that section once last year and it seemed worse this year on this last ride.

I'm usually riding up Reesor Road up to Stouffville and head out around there.  Concession 4 north starting at Webb Rd seems pretty nice.  I've only ridden it as far north as Wagg Rd, but I did a driving scouting mission as far north as Zephyr Rd and it look really good.  And for coming back you can use Concession 3 (north of Wagg Rd) or Concession 2 (south of Wagg Rd) for a change in scenery.

2012-04-17 8:12 AM

User image

Toronto-ish
That is a great stretch of road. Saturday mornings we sometimes out-number the cars.
2012-04-17 8:34 AM
in reply to: #4154837

User image

Master
TORONTO
winter_mute - 2012-04-16 11:55 PM

Vandorf  between Leslie and Bayview is just ugly from a road surface perspective.  I only rode that section once last year and it seemed worse this year on this last ride.

I'm usually riding up Reesor Road up to Stouffville and head out around there.  Concession 4 north starting at Webb Rd seems pretty nice.  I've only ridden it as far north as Wagg Rd, but I did a driving scouting mission as far north as Zephyr Rd and it look really good.  And for coming back you can use Concession 3 (north of Wagg Rd) or Concession 2 (south of Wagg Rd) for a change in scenery.

I do a lot of rides in this area too.  I also like going east towards Ashburn.  Not as many cyclists though.  There's a level of comfort when riding alone if you stick to rides that other cyclists do.  

2012-04-17 10:11 AM
in reply to: #4155241

User image

kimmax - 2012-04-17 9:34 AM

I do a lot of rides in this area too.  I also like going east towards Ashburn.  Not as many cyclists though.  There's a level of comfort when riding alone if you stick to rides that other cyclists do.  

How do you get out to Ashburn?  I've ridden Concession 9 to Claremont, but for a road with that kind of speeds, I like a bit more shoulder.  It doesn't seem to get any wider on the other side of Brock Road.  I wish Pickering/Uxbridge would pave some more of their Concessions.  Some of the roads look good from a route perspective, but they can suddenly turn to gravel.  Maybe the answer is buying a cross bike.

I always have a bright blinky light on the back of my bike for rides.  I ride solo a lot and anything to make me more obvious is a bonus.

2012-04-17 9:03 PM
in reply to: #4155552

User image

Master
TORONTO
winter_mute - 2012-04-17 11:11 AM
kimmax - 2012-04-17 9:34 AM

How do you get out to Ashburn?  I've ridden Concession 9 to Claremont, but for a road with that kind of speeds, I like a bit more shoulder.  It doesn't seem to get any wider on the other side of Brock Road.  I wish Pickering/Uxbridge would pave some more of their Concessions.  Some of the roads look good from a route perspective, but they can suddenly turn to gravel.  Maybe the answer is buying a cross bike.

I always have a bright blinky light on the back of my bike for rides.  I ride solo a lot and anything to make me more obvious is a bonus.

I do a big loop.  I start in Cabbagetown and ride along Danforth and head north to Eglinton - across and turn down south in to the Guild, up Meadowvale to Taunton and I ride that east to Coronation Rd and make a left, then east on Columbus and then north on Ashburn and there's a corner store there I refill my bottles at.  Then left on Myrtle.  I ride it all the way back to Ressor south, west on Finch and then south on Midland snaking my way to the Kennedy station which I ride towards home.   Total distance is over 100km.  I often take the subway home from Kennedy as traffic picks up and it's insane.  But ya... I like the east paths.  I once headed towards Uxbridge and took a wrong turn and almost ended up on the highway eek!

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Warden Avenue Rss Feed