Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » My challenge Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2012-12-26 5:37 PM

Subject: My challenge

Hi folks I found this site because I've been trying to train for a triathathon for the first time in my life.  It's a bit scary but I just turned 37 and want to challenge myself.  I think that physically I can get there.  Ive never been in better shape in my life.

The first thing that I need to find is a race to enter.  Does anyone know a good one for a first race that is in the southern ontario area?  It would be awesome if I had a little help trying to figure out what I need to achieve my goal. 

One last question do you think that Doing rollerderby will effect my triathathon training because I don't want to have to choose just one.

Thanks so much

2012-12-27 11:46 AM
in reply to: #4548941

User image

Subject: RE: My challenge

Hey,

This may be a biased opinion because I am from Woodstock. But the Woodstock race set for May 25 is a great event. Its the first race of the MSC milk series. In previous years they hold the sprint distance race on Saturday and the full race on Sunday along with the try a tri. This year it looks like they are only doing the sprint on the Saturday. I did the full race last year as my first ever tri and absolutely loved it! 

2012-12-27 1:07 PM

User image

Sorry I made an error in the last post! It is a one day event on the Sunday.
2012-12-27 10:38 PM

Regular
Toronto, ON

My first race ever was the Try-A-Try last year at Binbrook (near Hamilton): see http://www.msctriathlon.com for a schedule of next year's races.  That series also includes the Woodstock race.  You should look at the Give-It-A-Try distance for a conservative goal (400m swim, 10K bike ride, 2.5k run; around 50 minutes for middle of the pack) or, if you're feeling a little more ambitious, the Sprint distance at Woodstock or the slightly longer Triathlon distance at Binbrook. 

You can also find races early in the season at Milton or Guelph through http://www.trisportcanada.com/home.php

I think rollerderby will help your triathlon training in the short term, since it's a pretty intense cross-training exercise and it will keep your aerobic system in shape, but if it's more than 1 night per week it may interfere with triathlon training, which I find really requires a minimum of five workouts per week, even for a sprint, one of which is a "brick" workout incorporating a run following the bike ride so that you get 2 workouts in each discipline per week.  There are a number of plans on this site that will give you some guidance as to how to organize your training.

2012-12-28 7:24 AM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Whatever race you pick...(you are spoiled in Southern Ontario)... You will have a blast, enjoy the training and enjoy the race. Roller Derby will help for sure! Just don't take out anyone on the bike....
2012-12-28 11:06 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-01-01 6:50 PM

Toronto-ish

TNT, where are you located?

Is there a date range you're hoping to hit?

Do you want a big race or a small one?

What distance are you looking at?

If you want a large race the Toronto Triathlon Festival (July 21) is about a large as it gets (that I've seen so far). Lots of energy with that many people, and conveniently located for many.

If you want a small race the Barrie Triathlon is about as small as it gets. Great first experience in an intimate setting. Couldn't ask for a flatter run or bike course. Last year it was Aug. 12, but the date for this year isn't on their website yet http://www.barrietri.com/

Woodstock is a great venue.

Guelph is very similar.

Milton has a tri-a-tri very early in the season if you want something short to get your feet wet (not a bad idea as you will likely learn more in your first event than any other). They also have a sprint length.

Welcome to the site. You'll love it.

2013-01-15 3:58 PM

I did my first try a tri last year at Grimbsy.  It's called the Niagara Triathlon and was in July.  I enjoyed it thoroughly.  It seemed well organized and easy to participate in.  The swim was along the shore so you were never very far from shallow water.  It's also a nice area.  As it was my first race, I don't have anything to compare it to but I had a good impression.
2013-01-15 4:04 PM
in reply to: #4551205

justinfss - 2012-12-28 7:24 AM Whatever race you pick...(you are spoiled in Southern Ontario)... You will have a blast, enjoy the training and enjoy the race. Roller Derby will help for sure! Just don't take out anyone on the bike....

Yeah, but you Timmins natives are so fortunate because you have the Shania Twain Centre.  Oh, wait, they're closing that down.

2013-01-19 9:20 PM
in reply to: #4579979

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada

b2run - 2013-01-15 7:04 AM

justinfss - 2012-12-28 7:24 AM Whatever race you pick...(you are spoiled in Southern Ontario)... You will have a blast, enjoy the training and enjoy the race. Roller Derby will help for sure! Just don't take out anyone on the bike....

Yeah, but you Timmins natives are so fortunate because you have the Shania Twain Centre.  Oh, wait, they're closing that down.

Thank Goodness for that!! I hope they blow it up, what a colossal waste of my municipal tax dollars!

2013-01-24 3:11 PM

I'm thrilled to have found this site and community online. I am in a similar boat as TNT but 1 year later. I was WAY out of shape (2 flights of stairs kicked my butt, 195 pounds for 5'8") and lost 30+ pounds and got into better shape and did the Orillia Try-a-Tri last year. I had a smile on my face the entire race, was the best experience.

I loved that race as a 1st race, the water was great - calm and easy to swim, the bike course was tough but not overwhelming and the run was flat. After some research I am planning on signing up for the Huronia Sprint (5 minutes from my in-laws cottage plus it sounds like a great event), the Orillia Try again (now that I know what I'm doing and have a proper bike I want to see how much I improve) and the Wasaga Olympic as an end of summer goal - I wish the Huronia and Wasaga events were flip flopped as it sounds like Wasaga would be a great Sprint and Huronia sounds like an incredible Olympic distance course.

I have to imagine you can't go wrong with a Try-a-Tri at any of the Ontario events as they all seem great, longer distances it might make sense to check out the course but most of all proximity to your home makes for the easiest day IMO...

Anyone have any thoughts on those events I listed? Also, anyone live in Vaughan/Maple and at a similar stage of new-bee-ness? Would love a training partner or two.

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » My challenge Rss Feed