General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HITS--Ocala Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2013-01-30 2:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville
Subject: HITS--Ocala

Just curious if anyone else is doing the HITS--Ocala event (any distance).

I will be there doing the 70.3

This will be my first time doing the HITS series, and am definitely looking forward to it.

2013-01-30 2:46 PM
in reply to: #4601689

User image

New user
Subject: RE: HITS--Ocala
I'm doing the half also.  I live in Ocala, so tough to pass on an event in your backyard.  I did the sprint last year, despite being totally out of shape and not prepared for it.  I thought they did a great job, the staff was very friendly.  It will be interesting to see what the support is like on the longer course.  I've been on several rides around the area and there are some hills, relatively speaking, when compared to the rest of Florida.  I will be much better prepared this year, and am really looking forward to it.  I'm doing St. Anthony's in April as well, then the focus shifts to IMFL in November..
2013-01-30 4:40 PM

User image

Florida
I'm doing the Half as my "warm up" for Ironman Texas.  I live in Jax too.  Where do you train?  I'm looking for people to bike with!
2013-01-30 6:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ft. mitchell ,al / columbus ga
I'm not doing this race. But I have a buddy comming from columbus, GA. 
2013-01-31 5:46 AM
in reply to: #4601991

New user

I'm in for the Half as well. Should be fun! It's nice to have some more local choices for racing.

Steve

2013-01-31 9:39 AM

New user
I'm doing the Olympic and my wife is doing the half iron.

2013-01-31 7:28 PM

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
In for the half as well. Also using it as a training race for IM Tex.
2013-02-01 10:35 AM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
I signed up for the 70.3 but had to change it to the OLY distance. Didn't think I could swing a HIM a month after a marathon. Plan on watching the full finishers on saturday. Where are people staying?
2013-02-04 5:49 PM

User image

Regular
Ocala, FL
I'm in for the OLY.  I did the sprint last year.  I had signed up for the HIM but changed to the OLY.  Serious family illness kept me out of training for a while.  I live about 20min from the race site.  Not a lot of Triathlon locally, but a fair amount of triathletes so you HAVE to support the local races.
2013-02-04 5:49 PM

New user
Hilton Head Island

I was signed up for Oly last year and had to defer due to running injury. So now I am signed up for Oly again this year. Due to another injury, l will be doing aquabike. Frustrating. But glad more races are offering aquabike option for us older runners. I love running much more that swimming and biking combined.  But running does take a toll on the body.

BTW, l turn 50 this year.

2013-02-16 5:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Cape Coral, FL , Florida
I am in for the full again this year and just did the full in Naples in January as well. HITS has came a long way with their races. Last year I did the half in Naples and full in Ocala and there was a big difference in the complete setup and they are getting better each race. This year at the Naples full was outstanding and had a great time and really looking forward to Ocala again. The bike course looks a little hilly for us in FL but it really is not that bad, run course has a portion that is on a train that is done 2X but it is shaded but made it nice with the 90+ degree temps last year.

2013-02-16 6:14 AM

User image

I'll be doing the OLY which I did last year as well and I also just did Naples. Hits races are fun, you even get a stool in transition. Last year the run course was on a dirt forest type road and was loose, so if it's the same this year be prepared. I live in the the GVILLE area and also hard to pass up.
2013-02-16 4:48 PM

User image

Regular
Ocala, FL
For you local guys, the HITS RD will be at the Santos Bicycle Shop Friday, March 1 for a tri clinic.  The shop holds these almost every month and they are the official LBS for HITS here.  They have not said what the subject is going to be, but I'm sure a state of the series will most likely be given.  Also a good time to get some direct conversational feedback.  Call the shop for an exact time, but it should start around 6-6:30.

Edited by Fokker416 2013-02-16 4:50 PM
2013-02-16 8:22 PM

User image

Regular
I'm also doing the Half and using it as a prep race for IM Texas. Any plans for Fri. dinner??

tom
2013-02-17 7:26 AM
in reply to: #4625133

User image

Expert

Fokker416 - 2013-02-16 5:48 PM For you local guys, the HITS RD will be at the Santos Bicycle Shop Friday, March 1 for a tri clinic.  The shop holds these almost every month and they are the official LBS for HITS here.  They have not said what the subject is going to be, but I'm sure a state of the series will most likely be given.  Also a good time to get some direct conversational feedback.  Call the shop for an exact time, but it should start around 6-6:30.

Since you are local... any suggestions for good places to eat on Friday night? I'm coming up/over from Spring Hill with my husband and son. 

2013-02-17 10:39 PM
in reply to: #4625525

User image

Regular
Ocala, FL

We have most of the typical corporate places to eat.  If you are into some good sandwiches and the like there's a place called the Mojo Grill, which is near down town.  Pretty good food, on Friday they will most likely have a band.  The place is blues themed so the music usually matches.  Downtown is my favorite place to go.  I'd suggest Harry's.  Pretty good food and it's on the square so you can hit either the starbucks or the Ocala Chocolate factory.  Both are about a block away from Harry's front door.  If you're looking for something near the race site I'd suggest Gator Joe's.  It's on Lake Weir and is less than a 10min drive away from Carney Island.  It's mostly sandwich food, but it's right on the water and the sunsets are great.  Might be little crowded on Friday night.  I know they have bands regularly, but I don't know what they do on Fridays.  You can eat inside or out on the deck (my suggestion).

Hope this helped. 

2013-02-18 7:17 AM
in reply to: #4626253

User image

Expert
Fokker416 - 2013-02-17 11:39 PM

We have most of the typical corporate places to eat.  If you are into some good sandwiches and the like there's a place called the Mojo Grill, which is near down town.  Pretty good food, on Friday they will most likely have a band.  The place is blues themed so the music usually matches.  Downtown is my favorite place to go.  I'd suggest Harry's.  Pretty good food and it's on the square so you can hit either the starbucks or the Ocala Chocolate factory.  Both are about a block away from Harry's front door.  If you're looking for something near the race site I'd suggest Gator Joe's.  It's on Lake Weir and is less than a 10min drive away from Carney Island.  It's mostly sandwich food, but it's right on the water and the sunsets are great.  Might be little crowded on Friday night.  I know they have bands regularly, but I don't know what they do on Fridays.  You can eat inside or out on the deck (my suggestion).

Hope this helped. 

Awesome! Thanks so much for the ideas.

We just made reservations at a Hilton. When my husband called, they said they were completely booked, until he asked if there were a block of rooms reserved for event participants. 

2013-02-18 2:48 PM
in reply to: #4626404

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
KateTri1 - 2013-02-18 8:17 AM

Hope this helped. 

We just made reservations at a Hilton. When my husband called, they said they were completely booked, until he asked if there were a block of rooms reserved for event participants. 

Yeah I just got the same thing from the Homewood Suites (I think that's what it's called-the host hotel) Any ideas how far from Lake Weir that is?

2013-02-18 7:12 PM
in reply to: #4627184

User image

Regular
Ocala, FL
rjrankin83 - 2013-02-18 3:48 PM

Hope this helped. 

Yeah I just got the same thing from the Homewood Suites (I think that's what it's called-the host hotel) Any ideas how far from Lake Weir that is?

The hotel is in the SW area of the City and the race site is way SE of town.  I've never actually driven from that part of town all the way to Lake Weir, but I would give probably 45 min to get there.  It will probably take you less than that.  You'll practically drive past my house on your way and I used to be assigned to the fire station down the road from the hotel.  I'd guess around 35min, but give 45.  There is a new cut through road that may not be on the maps that may shorten that time a little.

It's a bit of a hike, but that's because Lake Weir is in a very rural area and there just isn't a hotel really close by.  The Homewood has been built around 5 years ago and it looks nice.  It's on 200, which is one of the main roads in town and it has all the restaurants you know and love on it.  It's also down the road from a few shopping centers.  Not a bad place to stay, just on the other side of town.  Honestly, a good pick.  It's maybe a mile from I-75 so if that's one of your route choices, the interstate will put you almost right on top of the hotel.  There's another Hilton right at the interstate, but that's not the homewood.  The homewood is further west on 200.  If you are staying at the other Hilton, it's right at the interstate (you can see it from 75).

Shoot me anything else you want to know and I'll do my best to help.  I may need the same when running up to Jax

2013-02-19 5:01 PM

Hello everyone, I am just recently new to this site, I was inquiring about work, and if anyone in the ocala area is looking for someone to work ( paid position pref.) at any equestrian facility. I am right now in deland, and the farm that I am working at now does not have enough work for me ( only about 5 horses i take care of) and the person I am living with, well were not really getting along. I am on a dash to try and find somewhere to move to, ( by march 1st or sooner! I know its abrupt but there is a lot of stuff going on in both places and I am trying to get out asap). Either that or I have to return back home to freezing maine, and nothing really for me there which is why I came down here. I also do have a horse, that I would need a stall for as well... If anyone is looking PLEASE contact me ASAP or of anyone close to that area it is a serious matter, I do have a resume of places I have worked, I have worked around horses for 19 years ( currently 22, 23 in may) I ride dressage and jumpers, I know how to clean stalls, hay, change blankets, water, clean paddocks, hold for vet or blacksmith, I am really a diligent worker, if you tell me what to do and what needs to be done I am really good about getting every thing done on time, I also know how to tack up, groom horses, could travel to shows as well to be a groom for the day... Any questions please contact me at

[email protected]

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!

2013-02-19 7:25 PM

User image

Regular
Ocala, FL
Eventer, I'm going to take a shot in the dark and presume this is not the HITS you are thinking of.  The same company that runs HITS (horses in the sun) also runs a triathlon series, which is what we're discussing here.   A good website for equestrian jobs in the area is www.floridahorse.com

2013-02-19 10:39 PM
in reply to: #4627547

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Fokker416 - 2013-02-18 8:12 PM
rjrankin83 - 2013-02-18 3:48 PM

Hope this helped. 

The hotel is in the SW area of the City and the race site is way SE of town.  I've never actually driven from that part of town all the way to Lake Weir, but I would give probably 45 min to get there.  It will probably take you less than that.  You'll practically drive past my house on your way and I used to be assigned to the fire station down the road from the hotel.  I'd guess around 35min, but give 45.  There is a new cut through road that may not be on the maps that may shorten that time a little.

It's a bit of a hike, but that's because Lake Weir is in a very rural area and there just isn't a hotel really close by.  The Homewood has been built around 5 years ago and it looks nice.  It's on 200, which is one of the main roads in town and it has all the restaurants you know and love on it.  It's also down the road from a few shopping centers.  Not a bad place to stay, just on the other side of town.  Honestly, a good pick.  It's maybe a mile from I-75 so if that's one of your route choices, the interstate will put you almost right on top of the hotel.  There's another Hilton right at the interstate, but that's not the homewood.  The homewood is further west on 200.  If you are staying at the other Hilton, it's right at the interstate (you can see it from 75).

Shoot me anything else you want to know and I'll do my best to help.  I may need the same when running up to Jax

Fokker416 thanks for all the info. Feel free to shoot any questions about North Jax my way : ) I plan on coming down to catch some of the HIM finishers and most of the full distance finishers Sat afternoon (work depending) 2 days out from my marathon and I wish I would have signed up for the HIM instead of the OLY as I feel pretty recovered. Pretty fun series put on by DRCsports during the summer up here. PM if you're interested in competing I can help out with hotel accommodations in the area.

2013-02-20 10:42 AM

User image

I'll be there for the 70.3. We actually reserved at a hotel in Silver Springs I think because looking at a map we thought it was closer to the race. Hopefully I don't regret that :-)
2013-02-20 11:35 AM
in reply to: #4629968

User image

Expert

miamiamy - 2013-02-20 11:42 AM I'll be there for the 70.3. We actually reserved at a hotel in Silver Springs I think because looking at a map we thought it was closer to the race. Hopefully I don't regret that :-)

which is closer, Hampton, or Homewood Suites? We like to stay in a Hilton, but Hampton looks closer.

2013-02-20 12:34 PM
in reply to: #4630062

User image

Expert
KateTri1 - 2013-02-20 12:35 PM

miamiamy - 2013-02-20 11:42 AM I'll be there for the 70.3. We actually reserved at a hotel in Silver Springs I think because looking at a map we thought it was closer to the race. Hopefully I don't regret that :-)

which is closer, Hampton, or Homewood Suites? We like to stay in a Hilton, but Hampton looks closer.

Moot point.. Hampton is sold out. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HITS--Ocala Rss Feed  

of 6