Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Mr. Art Hare...nice presentation on CBC! :) Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-13 5:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON
Subject: Mr. Art Hare...nice presentation on CBC! :)

CBC has started a new radio station in Kitchener Waterloo.  It is the 3rd day it's been on the air, and low and behold who do I hear on my way to work this morning but Art Hare, local triathlete and computer geek.  He has developed a riding program where you can race against others on your trainer.  Very impressive.

Unfortunately...they didn't post the website for it! lol.  Ahare...how bout posting the link for info. on your software.

2013-03-14 8:05 AM
in reply to: #4657678

Veteran
Waterloo, Ontario
Subject: RE: Mr. Art Hare...nice presentation on CBC! :)

Yeah, Eric and I realized after we did the interview that we didn't really plug the name of the app or the website...  Don't forget that Eric (Greig) is also a pretty quick triathlete too!

The app is called Tour De Giro - if you've got an ANT+ powermeter, ANT+ speed/cadence sensor, or computrainer, you can race online.  We're still just starting out, but we usually get 6-8 people playing each EST evening.  It's currently free for download at www.tourdegiro.com.  

You can see the races that have run recently here: http://www.tourdegiro.com/races.php

You can see a short video where Eric demos how to set it up and the start of a race here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_ROtyWYe1A

We're doing a fundraiser for Amy Moss-Archambault in/around milton on March 23rd where we're hoping to get 18 people riding at once in the same room - if you want to participate, you can get more details at http://trimom.ca/.  Last I heard, we're doing a second sitting after the first group so there should still be lots of space remaining!

Edited by AHare 2013-03-14 8:14 AM
2013-03-15 9:28 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Art,

Took a look at the website - looks interesting.  Couple of questions.

• What kind of specs does a PC need to run this program?
  • Any issues with using a trainer other than those listed?  I'm using a Tacx Fortius (similar to a CT).
  • With my powertap (Ant+) do I also need the cadence sensor, or just the PT + a Garmin Ant stick?

Thanks,

2013-03-15 9:38 PM

Veteran
Waterloo, Ontario

It should run on basically anything.  A dedicated video card is recommended, but I still try to make sure it'll run mildly on my hurting old netbook.  One known compatibility issue at the moment is that it'll crash on certain ATI Radeon Mobility cards from about 2006 because they have a driver and/or hardware bug.

All you need is your PT and an ANT+ stick, yep!

Tacx fortius support is probably not coming unless the code lands in my lap.  If the fortius shows up as an ANT+ powermeter it'll work, but if it needs custom tacx drivers that makes it less likely.  CT code landed in my lap, that's how we support the CTs.

If it does crash on you, email [email protected] - we have a special version that'll automatically take a crash report and send it to us with some other important system info.

Edited by AHare 2013-03-15 9:41 PM
2013-03-16 1:45 PM
in reply to: #4662054

User image

Elite
Ontario

Thanks - I'll give it a try.

One other question.  Did you ever get your cda calculator on an android device to work well?  If so I'd like to give it a try this Spring.  I lost track of the thread on ST, but remember it from a while ago, so figgured I'd ask.

2013-03-16 7:07 PM
in reply to: #4662475

Veteran
Waterloo, Ontario
GoFaster - 2013-03-16 2:45 PM

Thanks - I'll give it a try.

One other question.  Did you ever get your cda calculator on an android device to work well?  If so I'd like to give it a try this Spring.  I lost track of the thread on ST, but remember it from a while ago, so figgured I'd ask.

It's still on the android store for free ("Rolldown Calculator").  It works, but not really well enough.  If you can find a 500m downhill that is extremely shielded from wind while somehow still having excellent GPS reception, it would be great.  However, since that's more or less impossible, it's a bit of a dud.  It was a fun math problem to work on for a week though.  It produces numbers that are in the range of plausible CdA values, but they aren't repeatable.

Edited by AHare 2013-03-16 7:08 PM

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Mr. Art Hare...nice presentation on CBC! :) Rss Feed