Danskin
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 53m 10s
Overall Rank = 2132/2981
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Had a little breakfast at the hotel and then headed out. Got to the site early, since the parking was remote and we had to shuttle to the race. And - I'm perpetually early anyway, so being late (or even on-time!) would make me nervous.
Event warmup:

Not too much. Should have gotten in the lake and warmed up. But did I?? Noooo....
Swim
  • 27m 37s
  • 800 meters
  • 03m 27s / 100 meters
Comments:

Was SO unprepared for this. This was my first tri and I am sooo not a swimmer. Had trained by doing nothing but pool swimming, thinking that open water wouldn't be so incredibly different. But - I hit the water and soon after that started panicking. Tried backstroke so that I could calm my breathing and talk some sense into myself, but that didn't do too much except put me really off course. Was saved by the Danskin Water Angels, who swam with me about half the way and gave me a water noodle to hold on to to convince me that I wasn't going to drown.
What would you do differently?:

Train better. I need to both be a stronger swimmer and get more experience in open water (and now, conquer my new-found fear of open water swimming). I'ved heard that the Total Immersion swimming program is worth the money -- I will look into that if I decide to do this again.
Transition 1
  • 05m 27s
Comments:

I had stumbled/crawled up the shore from the swim, so I didn't see what the time was. I figured that I had been in the water for about 5 days, and so decided to take it easy because I thought my goal of a 2 hour finish was out the window. So, I took my time drying my feet and getting my socks and shoes on, and just walked my bike out. And then was completely surprised to find that I was still just at 33 minutes into the whole thing. And so THEN I got on my horse and started going a little harder.

Pay attention to my time coming out of the swim. Could definitely have cut at least a minute or two off my transition time.
Bike
  • 46m 54s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 15.86 mile/hr
Comments:

Was pleased with the bike... wasn't nearly as drained from the swim as I thought I was going to be. I just kept thinking -- you can't fall off a bike and drown!! THAT kept me going and happy!!

If I decide to start doing these things, I'll get a new bike. I'm riding on a 15-year old mountain bike, so my pace could have been better with better equipment.
Transition 2
  • 03m 11s
Comments:

By the time I got back to the bike, my spot was pretty well crowded in (the long time in the water did me in here) and getting my bike back on the rack required a little bit of work. Other than that, I kind of played it low-key -- while I didn't run and rush around, I also didn't lolly-gag either. Gave myself just enough time to get my legs back under me before heading out for the run.

Not too much... other than maybe swimming faster so that there wouldn't be as many bikes already racked by the time I got there!!
Run
  • 29m 59s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

I couldn't feel my legs, but they seemed to do their job admirably anyway. My time also included about 1:30 minutes of potty break! It was warm out, so I had chugged quite a bit while on the bike, and so I decided that I was going to make my 2 hour goal, and so took the time to make my run more comfortable. :)

Somehow make it so that I didn't have to pee so badly that it was distracting! Other than that, the run was my strongest link, and it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it was going to be with it being the last event.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim! Swim! Swim!!!

Event comments:

The course wasn't hard... just the fact that the swim got me made it hard. Other than that - it wasn't too bad.

Last updated: 2004-07-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:37 | 800 meters | 03m 27s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/2981
Performance: Bad
Suit: tri shorts and sports bra
Course: Straight shot across a small, man-made lake.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:27
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:46:54 | 12.4 miles | 15.86 mile/hr
Overall: 1894/2981
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling hills, loop course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:11
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:29:59 | 03.1 miles | 09m 40s  min/mile
Overall: 1010/2981
Performance: Good
Course: Loop around the lake, fairly flat.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-07-13 10:55 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
Subject: Danskin Triathlon

2004-07-14 10:36 AM
in reply to: #37271

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Danskin Triathlon
Congratulations! Great job sticking with it after a tough swim! Nice race!

Kelly
2004-07-14 5:54 PM
in reply to: #37339

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: Danskin Triathlon
Congratulations....at my first open water swim I panicked too...did most of it with breast stroke and head above water because I couldn't catch my breath...it is very different, but have done a few more tris and recently completed a 1500m swim with all freestyle...no breast stroke...just keep practicing...it will come.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Danskin Triathlon Rss Feed