Canadian Triathlon Forum Alberta » Looking to give it a TRI Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2006-08-28 4:53 PM

User image

Sherwood Park, AB Canada
Subject: Looking to give it a TRI
Anyone know of a good Try-a-Tri or Sprint Triathlon in the Edmonton Alberta area? I've always been a fan of the sport, but have never really had the guts to give it a go. Well, I think I'm ready. My training is still a little erratic, but I'm trying to sort that out.

2006-08-31 3:03 PM
in reply to: #524818

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Looking to give it a TRI
There are some races listed on this page at the Alberta Triathlon Assoc. website. Check with local running and tri retailers too because not every race gets listed with ATA.

Edited by Micawber 2006-08-31 3:07 PM
2006-08-31 8:10 PM

User image

Sherwood Park, AB Canada
Thanks. I've been checking things out and found that there are quite a few races that go on throughout the spring and summer. I'm aiming at a U of A Sprint Tri, in May, as my first attempt.
2006-09-02 10:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary, Alberta
Excellent! I started with a Try-a-tri in Calgary last May, and it was rainy and freezing cold, there was no where to go but up with my expectations after that. Hopefully you'll have some better luck! Good luck with the training over the winter (brr I'm freezing already).
2006-09-05 2:22 PM
in reply to: #529712

User image

Sherwood Park, AB Canada
A Try-A-Tri is exactly what I'm looking for. I think the U of A has one that happens every May.

The training is going to be a challenge over the winter months. I plan to choose one of the training plans on this site and stick to it. I really have to work on my swim. Considering a different bike, but I better try one or two events before I spend more $$$.

It is getting cold. I commute to work almost everyday, and the mornings are getting pretty chilly.
2006-09-05 3:17 PM
in reply to: #531297

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
I think you've got the right idea for the bike. Anything with two wheels will get you through the first few sprints and then you'll know better how much of an investment you want to make.

For the swimming, find some kind of coaching! Someone else with proper training can usually see lots of room for improvement where everything feels ok to you. It can save you untold hours of practicing less efficient movements. A group setting usually provides enough guidance for an inexperienced swimmer and is cheaper than private coaching. A Masters swim club is great, and recommended, but there are other alternatives too. You might find adult swim lessons at a local YMCA or maybe through the recreational services department at a local university, college, or municipal level government. Check at the U of A.

2006-12-21 4:02 PM
in reply to: #529712

User image

Calgary
I did the Try-this-tri in Calgary this past year as well! Talk about a FREEZING triathlon. My feet were completely numb after getting off the bike - if you can do a triathlon in that weather, you can probably do it in any weather (well except in the HOT summer)

Edited by sheri77 2006-12-21 4:10 PM
2007-01-02 2:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonton, Alberta
Hello I would recomend either U of A or Corination they are both very good races and you will have a blast.

Roy
2007-01-22 8:13 PM

User image

northern Alberta
I'm going to start with this one in Calgary in June - it's probably the same one that was already mentioned:

http://www.multisportscanada.com/Trythistri.html
2007-02-09 12:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary, Alberta
I'll be there too! I am just praying for nicer weather this year...

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Alberta » Looking to give it a TRI Rss Feed