Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » First Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2007-07-12 6:24 PM

Subject: First Sprint
Hi all,

I am doing my first sprint triathlon in Vancouver Sep 3rd.
Any suggestions?

2007-07-12 10:31 PM
in reply to: #883834

User image

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
Subject: RE: First Sprint
First of all, welcome!!
Second, your question is VERY vague. What do you want suggestions about? Training tips? Clothing? Nutrition? Transitions? What's your background in sports, if any?

I'd love to help you out. The Vancouver Sprint Tri was my first one and I loved every minute of it! I was fortunate enough to live close to there so running and biking the course beforehand was easy and it helped me know how I was going to do. I highly recommend going down and doing a brick there if you don't live close by and can work it into your routine. The swim was pretty simple but because it's in the ocean you have to be ready for waves if conditions aren't ideal.
2007-07-12 11:38 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
Train lots?
2007-07-13 10:39 AM

It is vague.
I quit smoking 2 months ago and I have been biking allot since.
Most of my biking is the same route; to work and back so I will take your first advise and go do the real thing. I have not been running or swimming much but i am not concerned about the swimming part so much as i can swim 1 without getting exhausted.
I am concerned about the running because although i can complete 5km it is not easy as biking and to top it all I twisted my ankle 2 months ago and it is still weak and hurts a little occasionally so i don't want to put too much pressure on it.
It's time to try the real think (swimming+running+biking)to see where I stand. Maybe you can look at my training log and give me some suggestions.

My other concern was for the race itself. How do i change from swimming to biking? where do i leave my bike? or should i only concentrate on the fitness and leave the admin to race day?

Thanks much,

Lior
2007-07-19 12:19 PM
in reply to: #884585

User image

Veteran
Chilliwack B.C
Well I swim in what I will race in. I have shorts that are Tri specific, I can swim, Bike and run in them. especially for a spirt changing is not so important. You can always pull bike shorts on over your swim suit if you have to. Some races do have a change tent, but usually only the longer courses.

As for where you put your bike, every race I have done has an assigned rack for your bike. You just have to remember where it is (usually clearly numbered anyway). Volunteers and race organizeers are usually very good at directing you were you need to go anyway so it is quite easy.

Plus I'm not the fastest so I usually have someone to follow

As for training the hardest part for me is the Bike to run transition. I find that if I practice that I do better. I have also learned not trust the feel of my legs as they never feel 100% after the bike. So I concentrate on my breathing and cadence. Then try to slowly build.
2007-07-20 1:56 PM
in reply to: #884585

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
lior1 - 2007-07-13 8:39 AM

It is vague.
I quit smoking 2 months ago and I have been biking allot since.
Most of my biking is the same route; to work and back so I will take your first advise and go do the real thing. I have not been running or swimming much but i am not concerned about the swimming part so much as i can swim 1 without getting exhausted.
I am concerned about the running because although i can complete 5km it is not easy as biking and to top it all I twisted my ankle 2 months ago and it is still weak and hurts a little occasionally so i don't want to put too much pressure on it.
It's time to try the real think (swimming+running+biking)to see where I stand. Maybe you can look at my training log and give me some suggestions.

My other concern was for the race itself. How do i change from swimming to biking? where do i leave my bike? or should i only concentrate on the fitness and leave the admin to race day?

Thanks much,

Lior

Hey lior, I would suggest that you watch a tri, it sounds like you have a lot of questions. I went to the UBC OLY race earlier this year and it helped me out a bunch. Little things like a plastic bin for all your transition stuff (in case of rain) what to wear, course layouts and just watching others go through their set ups for transistions. There are a lot of races going on, for instance there is a kids Vancouver tri this Saturday and the Diva's tri in North Vancouver. I am volunteering at both since I am injured, but it is good to watch others to see if you can pick up any little tricks to make yourself better! Good luck out there!

2007-07-20 3:47 PM
in reply to: #894650

User image

Extreme Veteran
Victoria
What He said
(Hazmaster)

It's funny, I jumped into the UBC Olympic tri as my first one and was so ridiculously unprepared for it, because I had never watched a triathlon. It was a good thing I was first out of the swim, otherwise TONS of people would have seen me naked for a good 2-3 minutes.

Don't be that guy
Good lucK!!!!
2007-07-23 12:26 PM
in reply to: #894854

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
DerekWL - 2007-07-20 1:47 PM

What He said
(Hazmaster)

It's funny, I jumped into the UBC Olympic tri as my first one and was so ridiculously unprepared for it, because I had never watched a triathlon. It was a good thing I was first out of the swim, otherwise TONS of people would have seen me naked for a good 2-3 minutes.

Don't be that guy
Good lucK!!!!

Were you swiming that fast that you shot out of your suit? Or did you get changed after the swim? I'll bet you're not the first or last person to get naked after the swim! I always wondered where the change room tranistion rooms were in a race!
2007-07-24 12:52 PM
in reply to: #897174

User image

Extreme Veteran
Victoria
Hahaha Definitely wasnt swimming fast enough to jump out of my suit.
I got changed after the swim in the Transition tent, where, luckily, there were no volunteers or anything in the tent which was REALLY good.
The suit I was wearing for the swim was WAY too tight to wear on the bike, and I would have sacrificed my legs by cutting off all of their circulation!
Therefore, nudity was forced!
Blech!!!!
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » First Sprint Rss Feed