Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Brent Kamenka's Newest Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2007-10-18 1:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Cloverdale, BC
Subject: Brent Kamenka's Newest Race

I just spotted this today.  Has anyone got more info?

http://www.k226.com/details.php?e_id=69

Athletes begin with a 2.4 mile swim in Harrison Bay at Harrison Mills athletes then ride 112 miles of the most intense off road found anywhere in North America. They will ride alongside Harrison Lake for over 40 miles then the entire length of Lillooet Lake on their way to Pemberton. The ride culminates with a flat 6 miles of paved roads. Once in Permberton athletes will run a grueling 26.2 mile full marathon run finishing in Whistler Resort.

The difficulty of this event is off any scale of difficulty and without question is one of the toughest off road triathlons ever.

I know I really shouldn't do a Brent Kamenka race, but at least I have low expectations, and it sounds cool.  Apparently this year there were only 8 people in the Bigfoot Half Iron, and 20 in the Full.

It is actually similar to the route for the Iron @ss 450 (km) race from 2004.  I remember it from the Club Fat website, but I don't know if the race ever happened.  It was a 5-part multisport race, consisting of....

- Vowsa 9km Bay challenge (Kits to North Van)
- Road Bike North Vancouver to Pemberton
- 50 mile trail run along the Lillooet Lake Road
- Mountain Bike to Harrison Mills
- Road Bike to Kits

http://web.archive.org/web/20040104091228/http://clubfatass.com/VanBC_IronASS/

Edited by ultramike 2007-10-18 1:32 PM

2007-10-18 11:57 PM
in reply to: #1013992

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: RE: Brent Kamenka's Newest Race
Don't do it, they won't have enough traffic control which means you are putting yourself at risk by doing this event. I would skip it for sure.
2007-10-19 12:02 AM

User image

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
I just saw that the other day too. Their site is not working so i'm not sure the race is going ahead or what. Sounds kinda interesting, but not for me.
2007-10-20 8:30 PM

Don't do it!!!!

He doesn't have enough volunteers or medical aid, if there any medical/first aid there at all.

Save the entry fee and maybe your life..

Problems I observed with the "My first tri"

- The water was ice fricken cold, and not warm like advertised.
- T1 is in a camp ground with one single portable toilet
- T1 to the street is rocky and through the centre of the campsite - it's insecure, not meant for road bikes, and if you don't mind riding on the grass past the pot smoking dirty biker wannabe's to avoid a flat, then great. Because that's what you're going to be doing.
- There is almost no signage at let you know where you're going.
- Crossing the highway to ride around lake is dangerous. I think the volunteer controlling wasn't even wearing a reflective vest.
- T2 is in a new sub-division construction site with another single portable toilet (unsure if it was even unlocked)
- T1 and T2 bike racks are two small hold all the bikes.
- T2 is dangerous with the homeowners coming and going as well as there is no spectator area, so people are milling all about.

And after all that, there was no t-shirt.. or official race garment, as promised.

That just a few things I can think of off the top of my head. .

On a positive note... the area is beautiful.. but you can experience that for free!!

Just my 2 cents.
2007-10-22 1:09 AM

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
Is this the same guy that has been banned in a bunch of States and has been banned from Harrison so sets up shop at the reservation Maike?  Sounds like it, he is well known for all the wrong reasons in the US and all over Canada. If it is the same scoundrel.
2007-10-22 9:41 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
That's the guy alright.

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Brent Kamenka's Newest Race Rss Feed