BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Milaminute and Sparco's Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 55

2007-12-10 7:04 AM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Subject: Milaminute and Sparco's Group - Closed

Hi BT'ers!  Sal and I have decided to combine forces and experience to bring you a mentoring group that's sure to be informational and fun.  Here's the scoop on us:

NAME: sparco / Sal
Name: Milaminute/Mila

STORY: I have had the goal of being a triathlete since I was 13, being highly motivated by reading articles and seeing a documentary about Dave Scott and Scott Tinley. I made a goal to compete, sometime in my lifetime, in the Ironman Championships (Kona), that year. I train for triathlons to stay in shape and prevent the ‘attack of the bulge’ and the spare tire. Training is also great stress relief from a sometimes hectic work schedule.
STORY: I sort of fell into triathlon... well, not literally, though that wouldn't surprise most people.  My athletic background was pretty limited.  Growing up I was a competitive figure skater.  I also did some road and mountain biking but was never serious about either one.  As a spin instructor, I've had the opportunity to meet a lot of very cool triathletes who really inspired me and encouraged me to branch out from the bike and hit the water and the running trail.  When I started training for the beginning of my addiction my first tri season, I could barely swim 25 meters and running my first mile was a victory.  I was a true beginner.  I still have a lot to learn but I also have a lot to share. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married to a wonderful wife who supports me in all that I do, and has recently acquired the title of ‘triathlete’ just last season. I have 3 children, 17, 13 and 11 and sometimes need to find creative ways to work my training around busy family and work life.
FAMILY STATUS: I have been married to my boy toy for 14 years and we have 3 amazing children. Exhibit A is 9, Exhibit B is 7 and Exhibit C is 2. 

CURRENT TRAINING: I am using the BT silver training plans to simultaneously train for a marathon and my 1st half Ironman this spring.
CURRENT TRAINING: I do whatever Sal tells me to do.  No, wait... he tells me and then I do what I want.  No, that's not it... I, too am using BT silver training plans that have been slightly modified (with Sal's help) to meet my needs for extra time on my pretty bike so I can crush the bike leg of HIM relays from time to time.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Last season I ran a half marathon, full marathon, a few sprint tris and my first ‘Olympic’ tri (bike distance was just a little short of an ‘official’ Oly).
2008 RACES: I’m planning on a half marathon, full marathon and my 1st half Ironman distance this year.
THIS YEAR'S RACES: Last season I did Iron Girl and was then sidelined by an injury that prevented me from racing; however, I was able to do the bike leg of the SC HIM in September to finish my season on a high note. 
2008 RACES: My 2008 schedule is still tentative but I'm looking at a bike time trial, Iron Girl, one or two sprints and at least one HIM relay.

WEIGHTLOSS: I have no weight loss goal. More important to me is that I ‘feel’ like I’m fit.
WEIGHTLOSS: I'm working on dropping a few pounds of baby weight.  Yes, I realize he's two.  

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: With the help of Mila (who is highly motivational, and who I met, coincidently, as a fellow ‘mentee’ in a mentor group), provide advice on beginning walking or running training and starting a swim program (I was deathly afraid of open water swimming when I competed in my 1st triathlon). Mila’s the biker and the ‘chatty’ one who has been a motivation to me with regard to BT ‘inclusion.’ I really just want people to know that it really IS possible to go from couch to triathlete in one season (I began marathon training just 3 years ago after a 10 year hiatus from working out).
WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: Ummm... my sassitude?  Nah, in all honesty, I have to overcome a lot of obstacles to train and race.  As you will find out, I have a minor health condition (read: major) that makes my body, and life in general, unpredictable.  My belief is that if I can do it, anyone can.  I truly enjoy motivating and inspiring people as well as learning from and with others.  Be warned though, I do approach things with a lot of humor and I will never fail to remind you that every mile you go as you swim, bike and run is a gift.

Edited by milaminute 2007-12-12 9:22 PM

2007-12-10 8:18 AM
in reply to: #1092026

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Milaminute and Sparco's Group - Open
2 for the price of 1.  What an awesome idea.
2007-12-10 11:12 PM

User image

I'm in!
But I don't know how to make pretty colors What was the question?
2007-12-10 11:28 PM
in reply to: #1094202

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

redlv - 2007-12-10 11:12 PM I'm in! But I don't know how to make pretty colors What was the question?

Kara!!!  Welcome!  Teach us how to swim!

So...when do we gradjeate and move to the Mentor Program Thread?

2007-12-10 11:31 PM
in reply to: #1092104

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

jonathan22 - 2007-12-10 8:18 AM 2 for the price of 1.  What an awesome idea.

Are you saying that in the sense that we're like 'clearance' material?

Hey Miiiiiila, Jonathan's comparing us to WAL*MART...

Edited by sparco 2007-12-11 5:06 PM
2007-12-11 7:12 AM
in reply to: #1094202

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

redlv - 2007-12-11 12:12 AM I'm in! But I don't know how to make pretty colors What was the question?

Yay Kara!  When the thread becomes official you can post your bio and then teach us all how to swim .

2007-12-11 4:46 PM

User image

I'll teach ya'll how to swim if you teach me how to run!!!!

BIO!

Name: Kara
Story: Started swimming about a year and a half ago and my lane mates all did triathlons. They kept trying to get me to sign up for local races but I hated running and didn't have a bike. Eventually I set a personal goal that once I could swim 1 mile I could do a triathlon. I did both!

I signed up for the Silverman HIM next November and really need to kick it up a bazillion notches since I still walk faster than I run. Who do I see about that? oh yeah YOU GUYS!

Current Training: About to start a run-focus plan a fellow BT'er is writing up for me Then get in gear to play at a few races before starting HIM training. I'd say Im an intermediate-advanced swimmer, beginner cyclist and infant runner

This years races: a bunch of mini tri's with the local club, and some splash n dashes, Lake George 6k (swim), Mountain-man Tri- Sprint, Tour de Fire (bike), Donner Lake 2.7 mile swim, Pumpkinman Tri-Sprint, Tour de Tucson (109 miles), and Catch a Gobbler 5k run.

Weightloss? Yeah, I need to do that.

What will make me a good mentee? I'm generally positive with a sarcastic streak. I really love swimming and freely offer up all that I've learned in the past year I'm also VERY VERY receptive to figuring out this whole running thing. Crossing the finish line at Silverman next year is my biggest goal and Im willing to do whatever it takes to get there.
2007-12-11 4:54 PM
in reply to: #1096004

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

redlv - 2007-12-11 4:46 PM I'll teach ya'll how to swim if you teach me how to run!!!! BIO! Name: Kara Story: Started swimming about a year and a half ago and my lane mates all did triathlons. They kept trying to get me to sign up for local races but I hated running and didn't have a bike. Eventually I set a personal goal that once I could swim 1 mile I could do a triathlon. I did both! I signed up for the Silverman HIM next November and really need to kick it up a bazillion notches since I still walk faster than I run. Who do I see about that? oh yeah YOU GUYS! Status: Single and mingling, but don't tell my BF. Current Training: About to start a run-focus plan a fellow BT'er is writing up for me Then get in gear to play at a few races before starting HIM training. I'd say Im an intermediate-advanced swimmer, beginner cyclist and infant runner This years races: a bunch of mini tri's with the local club, and some splash n dashes, Lake George 6k (swim), Mountain-man Tri- Sprint, Tour de Fire (bike), Donner Lake 2.7 mile swim, Pumpkinman Tri-Sprint, Tour de Tucson (109 miles), and Catch a Gobbler 5k run. Weightloss? Yeah, I need to do that. What will make me a good mentee? I'm generally positive with a sarcastic streak. I really love swimming and freely offer up all that I've learned in the past year I'm also VERY VERY receptive to figuring out this whole running thing. Crossing the finish line at Silverman next year is my biggest goal and Im willing to do whatever it takes to get there.

Welcome (officially) Kara.  Infant runner...I like that...

I'd probably recommend a run/walk program for now.  A few of the 'beginner' BT programs recommend a specified time of running followed by a specified time of walking, for example: run 8 min, then walk 2 minutes.  Rinse and repeat until the alloted time amount, let's say 20 min, so that would be 2 repeats.  You could also start at 4 min/1 min.  It really all depends on your running fitness level right now.

Mila and I are avid HR (no, not Human Resources) fans.  We both train with HR monitors.  You could do 8 min of Z3 then 2 min recovery.  I'll start looking into what has worked for beginning runners.

Any previous injuries?  Let us know and we'll try not to push you to the point of reinjury.

Glad to have you in our group!  And if you need help setting up a training plan, let us know.  You're a GOLD member, so downloading existing BT programs right into your blog will be a piece of cake.  If Mila can do it, you can too...(ducking for cover)...

Edited by sparco 2007-12-11 5:26 PM
2007-12-11 6:40 PM

User image

Elite
First off, I'm in another group all redy so I won't take up space in yours.  But what a great idea to do this as a team.  Anyone looking at joining will be very lucky.  I don't know Mila, bur Sal is one of the finest people out there and will be a great mentor.  Have fun everyone.
2007-12-11 7:22 PM
in reply to: #1096237

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

mndiver - 2007-12-11 7:40 PM First off, I'm in another group all redy so I won't take up space in yours.  But what a great idea to do this as a team.  Anyone looking at joining will be very lucky.  I don't know Mila, bur Sal is one of the finest people out there and will be a great mentor.  Have fun everyone.

Thanks!  We are really excited to do this together and thought the idea of co-mentoring was great in terms of bringing together a broader base of experience and skills.  Sal and I welcome drop-ins so even if you're not officially in the group, stop by any time .

2007-12-11 7:29 PM
in reply to: #1096019

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
sparco - 2007-12-11 5:54 PM

Welcome (officially) Kara.  Infant runner...I like that...

X2!!! 

Mila and I are avid HR (no, not Human Resources) fans.  We both train with HR monitors.

Just want to second this... Sal and I both train by heart rate and part of my job actually involves training personal trainers and group X instructors on HR zone training so I'm happy to help anyone who wants to get started on this! 

Glad to have you in our group!  And if you need help setting up a training plan, let us know.  You're a GOLD member, so downloading existing BT programs right into your blog will be a piece of cheesecake.  If Mila can do it, you can too...(ducking for cover)...

I fixed that for ya, Sal... and, ummm... cute, real, cute (but probably true!).

2007-12-11 8:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Key West, Florida
Would be greatly interested in training with this group if there is still room!!

Name: Corey

Story: I was a soccer / lacrosse player all though High school, but never did anything after High School, so ya know, put on the weight, drank over the years etc etc, woke up one morning @ 199lbs and said "Not going to hit that 200 mark" so here I am now.

I started training / racing triathlons, road races and crits about 6 years ago. I started rather small, sprints and International Distances and local cycling events. I enjoyed doing good work raising money for the Leukemia / Lymphoma society and training for their cycling and triathlon events. I then worked my way up to placing MOP in International Distance Races, and have completed 2 HIM's so far.

I live in Central Florida so its nice since I can pretty much train all year round, we got great riding here for the flatlands ( Clermont ), the National Training Center, and great Riding and Running Groups so you one doesn't have to train alone.

Races: So far I am signed up so far for St. Anthony's, Gasparilla Marathon, and the Florida Challenge HIM, I want to do a Full Ironman but it appears as if they are all sold out! I am trying to get into Florida 70.3 but we will see how that goes after the Holidays when I have extra cash ( if its still open )

Family Status: Long term GF, who rides and runs shorter distances with me.

Training: The off season (now) been training long and slow for a Marathon in February, and doing the same for cycling, picking up the cycling intensity to ride the early season races. Then the focus will shift to St. Anthony's and the other early season Tri's, I am going to train this year with a plan for a end of Year Ironman, so that will set my training focus for most of the year.

Weightloss: could stand to drop about 5-10 more lbs to increase that power to weight ratio.

Why I would be a good mentee: Learning from peers is a wonderful experience, I enjoy listening and absorbing everyones experiences, inputting some of the things I have learned along the way, and enjoy the comraderie and friendships all triathlete's seem to have with each other.

Look forward to training with everyone!!

Thanks.

Corey
2007-12-11 8:35 PM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

mndiver - 2007-12-11 6:40 PM First off, I'm in another group all redy so I won't take up space in yours.  But what a great idea to do this as a team.  Anyone looking at joining will be very lucky.  I don't know Mila, bur Sal is one of the finest people out there and will be a great mentor.  Have fun everyone.

Hey Bryan, feel free to stop by anytime.  Thanks, you're too kind.  You can include Mila in there as one of the finest people out there.  Have a great time in your mentor group.  You must be in a mentor group of aspiring Ironmen/Ironwomen .  Train hard for IMOOOOOOO!!!!!

2007-12-11 8:38 PM
in reply to: #1096423

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

Lwoodtri - 2007-12-11 8:08 PM Would be greatly interested in training with this group if there is still room!! Name: Corey Story: I was a soccer / lacrosse player all though High school, but never did anything after High School, so ya know, put on the weight, drank over the years etc etc, woke up one morning @ 199lbs and said "Not going to hit that 200 mark" so here I am now. I started training / racing triathlons, road races and crits about 6 years ago. I started rather small, sprints and International Distances and local cycling events. I enjoyed doing good work raising money for the Leukemia / Lymphoma society and training for their cycling and triathlon events. I then worked my way up to placing MOP in International Distance Races, and have completed 2 HIM's so far. I live in Central Florida so its nice since I can pretty much train all year round, we got great riding here for the flatlands ( Clermont ), the National Training Center, and great Riding and Running Groups so you one doesn't have to train alone. Races: So far I am signed up so far for St. Anthony's, Gasparilla Marathon, and the Florida Challenge HIM, I want to do a Full Ironman but it appears as if they are all sold out! I am trying to get into Florida 70.3 but we will see how that goes after the Holidays when I have extra cash ( if its still open ) Family Status: Long term GF, who rides and runs shorter distances with me. Training: The off season (now) been training long and slow for a Marathon in February, and doing the same for cycling, picking up the cycling intensity to ride the early season races. Then the focus will shift to St. Anthony's and the other early season Tri's, I am going to train this year with a plan for a end of Year Ironman, so that will set my training focus for most of the year. Weightloss: could stand to drop about 5-10 more lbs to increase that power to weight ratio. Why I would be a good mentee: Learning from peers is a wonderful experience, I enjoy listening and absorbing everyones experiences, inputting some of the things I have learned along the way, and enjoy the comraderie and friendships all triathlete's seem to have with each other. Look forward to training with everyone!! Thanks. Corey

Wow Corey!  You could be OUR mentor.  Best wishes with getting into IMFL.  When I'm trained for an IM, IMFL is my IM of choice.

2007-12-11 8:44 PM
in reply to: #1096423

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Lwoodtri - 2007-12-11 9:08 PM Would be greatly interested in training with this group if there is still room!! Name: Corey Story: I was a soccer / lacrosse player all though High school, but never did anything after High School, so ya know, put on the weight, drank over the years etc etc, woke up one morning @ 199lbs and said "Not going to hit that 200 mark" so here I am now. I started training / racing triathlons, road races and crits about 6 years ago. I started rather small, sprints and International Distances and local cycling events. I enjoyed doing good work raising money for the Leukemia / Lymphoma society and training for their cycling and triathlon events. I then worked my way up to placing MOP in International Distance Races, and have completed 2 HIM's so far. I live in Central Florida so its nice since I can pretty much train all year round, we got great riding here for the flatlands ( Clermont ), the National Training Center, and great Riding and Running Groups so you one doesn't have to train alone. Races: So far I am signed up so far for St. Anthony's, Gasparilla Marathon, and the Florida Challenge HIM, I want to do a Full Ironman but it appears as if they are all sold out! I am trying to get into Florida 70.3 but we will see how that goes after the Holidays when I have extra cash ( if its still open ) Family Status: Long term GF, who rides and runs shorter distances with me. Training: The off season (now) been training long and slow for a Marathon in February, and doing the same for cycling, picking up the cycling intensity to ride the early season races. Then the focus will shift to St. Anthony's and the other early season Tri's, I am going to train this year with a plan for a end of Year Ironman, so that will set my training focus for most of the year. Weightloss: could stand to drop about 5-10 more lbs to increase that power to weight ratio. Why I would be a good mentee: Learning from peers is a wonderful experience, I enjoy listening and absorbing everyones experiences, inputting some of the things I have learned along the way, and enjoy the comraderie and friendships all triathlete's seem to have with each other. Look forward to training with everyone!! Thanks. Corey

Welcome Corey!

Mmmm... beer.  Oh wait.  That was my inside voice.

You have a lot of great experience and I'm sure tons of insight to share.  Good on ya for the fundraising efforts.  I agree... the tri-community is amazingly supportive. 

As a side note, be sure to tell Sal on a regular basis about the weather and year round training in Florida .

Edited by milaminute 2007-12-11 8:45 PM
2007-12-11 8:48 PM
in reply to: #1096501

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
milaminute - 2007-12-11 8:44 PM

Welcome Corey!

Mmmm... beer.  Oh wait.  That was my inside voice.

You have a lot of great experience and I'm sure tons of insight to share.  Good on ya for the fundraising efforts.  I agree... the tri-community is amazingly supportive. 

As a side note, be sure to tell Sal on a regular basis about the weather and year round training in Florida .

Shut up, just shut up...

2007-12-11 8:48 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Corey, I don't know how you feel about traveling too far for an IM but you might check to see if the November IMAZ is sold out... I can't recall. 

A lot of triathletes from here (the ATL) volunteered at IMFL this year so that they could ensure a slot for '08.  You might consider going that route if it looks like you'll need to postpone your IM goal.

2007-12-11 8:55 PM

User image

Regular
Kimberly, WI
Hello! My name is Andy. I'm a 34 yr old "clydesdale" (6' 7" - 233#) living in northeast WI.  I'm new to the sport and could use some mentors! I started running in May of last year to help improve my fitness level (I love to play basketball) and to help with weight loss. I competed in a 5K and 10K last summer. Both were great experiences! Then a friend of mine from high school turned me on to this website. Using BTs training log has really helped keep me motivated and made me want to learn more about running, biking and swimming. That's where I'm hoping a good mentor or two can help me out. I got a bike at the end of the summer but really did nothing with it. In October, I added swimming to my workout routine but I don't have a workout program. Next year I'd like to compete in several runs including a half marathon and yes, maybe my first tri event.
2007-12-11 9:01 PM

User image

MotoQueen
Don't let Sal promise you any fishnet pics. He won't follow through. SmileyCentral.com

Hey, you all have a great team with Mila and Sal.
2007-12-11 9:04 PM
in reply to: #1096552

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

kns57 - 2007-12-11 9:01 PM Don't let Sal promise you any fishnet pics. He won't follow through. SmileyCentral.com Hey, you all have a great team with Mila and Sal.

x2!

2007-12-11 9:05 PM
in reply to: #1096533

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

HammerOZZ - 2007-12-11 8:55 PM Hello! My name is Andy. I'm a 34 yr old "clydesdale" (6' 7" - 233#) living in northeast WI.  I'm new to the sport and could use some mentors! I started running in May of last year to help improve my fitness level (I love to play basketball) and to help with weight loss. I competed in a 5K and 10K last summer. Both were great experiences! Then a friend of mine from high school turned me on to this website. Using BTs training log has really helped keep me motivated and made me want to learn more about running, biking and swimming. That's where I'm hoping a good mentor or two can help me out. I got a bike at the end of the summer but really did nothing with it. In October, I added swimming to my workout routine but I don't have a workout program. Next year I'd like to compete in several runs including a half marathon and yes, maybe my first tri event.

Welcome Andy.  BT is awesome!  It's the right place for 'newbies.'  Very accepting environment at BT.

We'll help you get to your 1st tri...

2007-12-11 9:08 PM
in reply to: #1096552

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

kns57 - 2007-12-11 9:01 PM Don't let Sal promise you any fishnet pics. He won't follow through. SmileyCentral.com Hey, you all have a great team with Mila and Sal.

I hate drive-bys...oh...I guess I do that too...and, um, you 'assigned' those pics to me...and btw, you ain't gettin' no fishnet pics...maybe a Max wig and spokes kilt pic, but no fishnet pics...

2007-12-11 9:15 PM
in reply to: #1096570

User image

MotoQueen
sparco - 2007-12-11 9:08 PM

I hate drive-bys...oh...I guess I do that too...and, um, you 'assigned' those pics to me...and btw, you ain't gettin' no fishnet pics...maybe a Max wig and spokes kilt pic, but no fishnet pics...

SmileyCentral.comSmileyCentral.comSmileyCentral.comSmileyCentral.comSmileyCentral.comSmileyCentral.com

YES!!! SmileyCentral.com
2007-12-11 9:18 PM

User image

Master

mndiver - 2007-12-11 6:40 PM First off, I'm in another group all redy so I won't take up space in yours.  But what a great idea to do this as a team.  Anyone looking at joining will be very lucky.  I don't know Mila, bur Sal is one of the finest people out there and will be a great mentor.  Have fun everyone.

X2 except I don't know Sal but I do know Mila.  You will not find a better mentor out there.  Ok, aside from me.

2007-12-11 9:25 PM
in reply to: #1096595

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
jonathan22 - 2007-12-11 9:18 PM

X2 except I don't know Sal but I do know Mila.  You will not find a better mentor out there.  Ok, aside from me.

Jonathan, sounds like you'll have a fun mentor group...'happy time'...heh...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Milaminute and Sparco's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 55