BT Development Mentor Program Archives » enginerd's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2008-05-12 10:34 PM
in reply to: #1353607

User image

Subject: RE: enginerd's group - CLOSED
Seems like everyone here has it together on the weight loss! I struggle constantly, but know where the problem is. I just can't seem to get in that zone of healthy eating. I have done WeightWatchers on and off for several years and it really helped me focus on creating a healthier diet. I lost 60 lbs and kept it off a couple years, and then it came back- not all but about 30. I thought focusing on all this training would help, but I still can't seem to get it together, so now I am fit and fat! Journaling is probably the best tip I can give. It is what helps me most. I am honest when I journal so I won't eat it if I have to write it down! I have used fiday.com alot and like the journaling there.

2008-05-12 10:55 PM
in reply to: #1397327

User image

SF Bay Area, CA
froglegs - 2008-05-12 12:56 PM

I have always struggled with my weight. I finally decided that I needed to make my health and fitness a priority and accepted that it was going to take effort and discipline. I decided that temporary changes (like diets) were useless to me and I needed to make a permanent change. It took several small changes over a period of several months, which eventually led to making good food choices most of the time, and of course, becoming a triathlete.

Over the last 6 months I've been losing about 2 lbs per month. I eat way more fruits and vegetables than I used to, and I actually eat more often throughout the day. I think I may actually be eating a higher volume of food than I used to. For example, I just had lunch - a spinach/carrot/bell pepper/tomato salad with a few walnuts, a bit of cheese, and some lean turkey, and an orange. It was tasty, and I'm stuffed. But over the whole day, I'll eat about 1800 calories. Over the last few days I tried to eat a little less because I was sick and wasn't working out. On the weekends I might eat a little more because I tend to do longer workouts. An important aspect of my diet permanent lifestyle change is that I don't worry about having a couple of beers, some pizza, or whatever now and then. As long as I don't eat that stuff every day, and don't go overboard when I do, I come out ahead.

Also, I find that it really does get easier. Yesterday I was in a supermarket I usually don't shop at, and I found myself surrounded on 3 sides by cookie dough, ice cream, and tasty baked goods. As I passed through this minefield of unhealthiness, it occurred to me that someone else looking at the contents of my cart would probably think I was a health freak. I had tons of fruit, veggies, whole grain bread, lean meats, clif bars, etc. It all looks normal to me because that's what I eat most of the time. I'm not even really tempted to buy unhealthy groceries anymore.

100% agreed... great post froglegs!

i thought i could eat whatever i wanted in whatever quantities, but i recently found out that was only because i had been training 13-16 hours/week. now that i'm sidelined from running, i gained a quick 9 lbs. so trying to bike more and cut back on calories... still eating 5 times a day, just less... and lots of fruit, veggies, oatmeal, raisin bran, etc.
2008-05-13 11:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Tucson, Arizona

I don't have much to say about weight loss or maintenance, since for whatever reason, I don't have a problem with it.  I've pretty much been this weight for 20 or so years no matter what I've been doing activity-wise.  Having said that, I thought I'd put in my two cents as to how I view food and activity. 

I care about what I eat because I want to make sure that I'm healthy when I get older.  I don't have any family history around heart disease or cancer, but these are the types of things that I worry about when it comes to what I eat.  I think a big problem today is that we have so many overly processed, pre-packaged foods.  Our parents and grand parents ate much more fresh food and I think that has to be at least part of the obesity problem we see today.  So, I do most of the grocery shopping for the family and I try as best as I can to stay away from these types of foods although it's pretty difficult with both my wife and I working and our daughter in softball which involves a lot of quick meals.

I haven't counted calories in the past or watched my ratios of carbs:fat:protein when training.  I know that I should, but I just simply listen to my body and eat when hungry.  If I know I'm going to be putting in some miles or performing a highly aerobic activity I'll try to eat an appropriate amount of food to supplement my glycogen levels, but that's about it.

I guess what I'm saying here is that I'm not at all good about actively watching what I eat, but I'm trying to create some better habits and go from there. 

2008-05-13 2:38 PM
in reply to: #1398312

User image

Veteran
Texas

gettinfitnow - 2008-05-12 8:34 PM Seems like everyone here has it together on the weight loss! I struggle constantly, but know where the problem is. I just can't seem to get in that zone of healthy eating. I have done WeightWatchers on and off for several years and it really helped me focus on creating a healthier diet. I lost 60 lbs and kept it off a couple years, and then it came back- not all but about 30. I thought focusing on all this training would help, but I still can't seem to get it together, so now I am fit and fat! Journaling is probably the best tip I can give. It is what helps me most. I am honest when I journal so I won't eat it if I have to write it down! I have used fiday.com alot and like the journaling there.

All the info is totally spot on - slow changes, lifestyle etc...  but I still struggle, even though I know what I should do.

SO  - I try to stay conscious about what I'm eating regardless.  So if I make bad food choices I'm conscious about what I'm doing and the ramifications.  I also try to make "less bad" choices.  I love ice cream, so instead of ice cream I get Low Fat frozen yogurt which works for me.  I also allow myself more like Robin to "live".  I realize that means, at least for now, I'll probably carry that extra 8 lbs I would love to be rid of, but that's OK for me at this point.  When I feel like I have more self discipline I take advantage of it.  I'd like to get to a point where I'm more balanced.  I struggle with getting enough veggies, even though I know it would be relatively easy. 

Since I started training, I know I need to eat more healthfully and I've been doing better than before I started working out.  I get cold, light headed, or sluggish on occasion - due to my inconsistent habits.  I visited a nutritionist and there is really nothing new she told me, although I have more concrete info to follow.  I find I get an upset stomach the more I work out so right now I'm trying to figure out where the balance is between enough food, frequency, the right food, not too much junk, and feeling good.  I'm not a great role model for this, but I guess staying aware of habits and being realistic has helped me take off 12 lbs over the last 6 mos.

2008-05-13 3:40 PM
in reply to: #1400054

User image

Expert
Woodland, California
chikopiakomak - 2008-05-13 12:38 PM

I'm not a great role model for this, but I guess staying aware of habits and being realistic has helped me take off 12 lbs over the last 6 mos.

This is key, in my opinion.  I think a lot of people want and expect too much too quickly, so they put themselves on a severely restricted diet and it ends up backfiring.  I've seen many people fail at this, and many of them try it again, which baffles me.  I like slow and steady weight loss because it doesn't put your body in starvation mode.  I'm losing weight at about the same pace you are, and I don't feel deprived in the least.

There are always challenges.  Today I went to a Mexican buffet with my coworkers.... talk about a place where it's easy to screw up.  I had a tasty soup and salad, a small piece of bbq chicken, and a bean/cheese mini-burrito.  Sure I bypassed a lot of tasty enchiladas and stuff like that, but I got my unhealthy fat fix (the burrito) and I won't feel like crap when I work out later.  As my fitness increases, and as my weight goes down, I find myself less and less drawn to the chili rellenos.

I signed up for another race!!  Camp Pendleton International (olympic) on 7/19.  Sounds nice and flat, especially after having done Wildflower as my first oly.  I'm excited! 

2008-05-13 4:05 PM
in reply to: #1397577

User image

Expert
Computerland
enginerd - 2008-05-12 5:21 PM

You're young so you definitely won't have the same weight issues we all do.  The kind of weight you want to gain is muscle, of course, which is going to typically come from some kind of anaerobic activity (e.g. weights).  I'm not an expert on that at all, but perhaps others can provide some info.

Re: your orthotics, what kind of shoes did your podiatrist recommend you use them with?  In my experience (so YMMV), motion control shoes are too much with orthotics (because I'm fairly light also), so stability worked better.  Since you are very light, you might even use neutral shoes with orthotics.  It is true that orthotics can take some getting used to (did you begin using them gradually (e.g. walking with them first of a period of time and working your way up)?  Orthotics will change your biomechanics, theoretically correcting the imbalances you have from flat feet, pronation, etc.  Your knee should track over your second toe, etc. so everything should be in correct alignment.  Your feet should be slightly toed outward (10-15 degrees) and your weight should roll from almost outside heel to second toe (if you do any level of heel strike).  if these mechanics aren't right, then you can definitely have issues.  Your podiatrist should be able to clarify more though.

My orthotics are meant more for walking around in daily life (i.e. going to the store, walking to the car). I'm pretty sure they are not meant at all for exercise. I know if I stand around too long in my orthodics, the arches of my feet start hurting. I am pretty used to them though and have been wearing them in daily life for about a year and a half. I had them custom made.

I do wear motion control shoes though. I overpronate (spelling?) when I walk, so the shoe salesman recommended them for me. They seem to help with the overpronation. Thanks for the tips on the mechanics. How do I know if I am doing the mechanics right? (i.e. how do I know if my feet are toed 10-15 degrees outward when I run?)
Thanks!

Edited by amyro1234 2008-05-13 4:06 PM

2008-05-13 4:34 PM
in reply to: #1400296

User image

Veteran
Texas
froglegs - 2008-05-13 1:40 PM

chili rellenos.

I signed up for another race!! Camp Pendleton International (olympic) on 7/19. Sounds nice and flat, especially after having done Wildflower as my first oly. I'm excited!

Congrats Robin on signing up for ANOTHER OLY!

PS - Chili Rellenos - MMMMMMM 

2008-05-14 9:03 AM

User image

Master
San Francisco

Robin, congrats on signing up for Camp Pendelton.  You're gonna rock that flat course

Amy, re: foot position and such. You're orthotics should be correcting your biomechanical alignment, which is their purpose.  You can see how your shoe wears.  You shoes should wear from towards the outside heel (not all the way to the outside) to the second toe if you are aligned correctly.  Other option is to have a PT check you out.  Because I had bruising under my kneecaps from a bike accident earlier this year, I would get immediate feedback when my alignment was off on the run or the bike because I would have knee pain.   On the bike, a good fitting should include foot, knee/leg alignment as one small part of the fitting.

2008-05-14 9:11 AM

User image

Master
San Francisco

Here's our group list in a table with links, but I can't seem to get the background image to stay.  I can easily get a background color, but it won't seem to keep the image.  I'm trying to use this image here http://www.sportsposterwarehouse.com/warehouse/triathlon01ro-1.jpg  Anyone have any ideas?  It shows up in the edit box for the post, but not after i save it.

Enginerd's Mentoring Group

dorkboy - Scot
chikopiakomak - Karen
gettinfitnow - Tanya
LJR - Jim
abake - Anne
amyro1234 - Amy
rowdypaint - Pattie
wanna race - Mace
Roadie gal - Syndi
froglegs - Robin
poweredbyfear - Bryan
enginerd - Donato

Edited by enginerd 2008-05-14 12:06 PM
2008-05-14 11:27 AM
in reply to: #1401587

User image

Expert
Illinois
Donato, when i click on the link for the jpeg, it comes up as "Page Not Found".  Maybe the image has been moved, hence the problem?
2008-05-14 12:05 PM
in reply to: #1401994

User image

Master
San Francisco

abake - 2008-05-14 9:27 AM Donato, when i click on the link for the jpeg, it comes up as "Page Not Found".  Maybe the image has been moved, hence the problem?

In the post, it put an extra period in the URL (i'll fix it).  When I set up the table, it was okay and displays when I'm in edit mode, but not after i save.  weird.

2008-05-14 12:27 PM
in reply to: #1401587

User image

Expert
Illinois
I see what you mean, wow, that's strange. the HTML code appears to be correct.
2008-05-14 6:07 PM

User image

Expert
Hi all,
Tomorrow is "Bike to work day", in case you need any additional motivation to hop on the two wheeled beast. I've got ~40mi round trip, so it's a great way to get my cycling in and save gas money.. .WooHOO!!
2008-05-14 7:28 PM
in reply to: #1403125

User image

Expert
Illinois
That's great, Jim! Our town is doing its own walk/ride/run to work thing this year. I hope it is successful.  I live pretty close to work, so my plan is to humiliate my mountain bike by commuting on it.  We have a lot of pranksters at the office, so I'm bringing the bike into my cubicle.
2008-05-14 11:05 PM

User image

Expert
Woodland, California

Ok, I have a question for everyone.  What is your sleep pattern like, and how do you think it affects your training, and how does training affect your sleep?

My weekday sleep pattern is not the healthiest.  I wake up at 5 to catch a bus to work that leaves at 6.  On the bus I usually get about a 20-45 minute nap.  On the way home my nap is sometimes close to an hour.  I get home (or to the Y) around 6:45, and after training, dinner, shower, and some winding down time I usually have a hard time getting to bed before 10:30.  Sometimes I don't get to bed until after 11, so I end up getting about 5.5-6.5 hours of sleep.  The thing is, I don't really feel fatigued that often.  But, I do wonder how my training quality and recovery time would be affected if I got a nice, solid 7-8 hour block of sleep every night.  I'm starting to look for a new job, so hopefully soon I can find out.

2008-05-15 12:07 AM

User image

Master
San Francisco

I bike to work every day and am the most consistent commuter at my workplace, but ironically, I won't be biking to work tomorrow since I'll be headed out to Lanzarote!

Robin, great question.  I consistently get at least 7 and usually 8 hours of sleep a night.  Everyone differs, but that's what it takes for me to feel well rested and even then with some big workouts, I may not even be fully recovered.

I think as you all already know, it's during rest and recovery when the body actually rebuilds and not during your workouts which is what stresses it to set up the gains during rest and recovery.  So, if you don't get enough rest, your body may not have fully benefitted from the work you put in.

2008-05-15 11:32 AM
in reply to: #1403625

User image

Veteran
Texas
enginerd - 2008-05-14 10:07 PM

I bike to work every day and am the most consistent commuter at my workplace, but ironically, I won't be biking to work tomorrow since I'll be headed out to Lanzarote!

Robin, great question. I consistently get at least 7 and usually 8 hours of sleep a night. Everyone differs, but that's what it takes for me to feel well rested and even then with some big workouts, I may not even be fully recovered.

I think as you all already know, it's during rest and recovery when the body actually rebuilds and not during your workouts which is what stresses it to set up the gains during rest and recovery. So, if you don't get enough rest, your body may not have fully benefitted from the work you put in.

Donato! WOW!! have a great time in Lanzarote and good luck on your race! Are you taking a computer?  If so, would love mini reports and pics!!!

I generally have trouble getting more than 6+ hours of uninterrupted sleep. I've found I need rest days more often. If I go 5 - 6 days in a row of workouts I'm completely wiped out at the end of the week.

Edited by chikopiakomak 2008-05-15 11:33 AM
2008-05-15 4:14 PM
in reply to: #1401564

User image

Expert
Computerland
enginerd - 2008-05-14 10:03 AM

Robin, congrats on signing up for Camp Pendelton.  You're gonna rock that flat course

Amy, re: foot position and such. You're orthotics should be correcting your biomechanical alignment, which is their purpose.  You can see how your shoe wears.  You shoes should wear from towards the outside heel (not all the way to the outside) to the second toe if you are aligned correctly.  Other option is to have a PT check you out.  Because I had bruising under my kneecaps from a bike accident earlier this year, I would get immediate feedback when my alignment was off on the run or the bike because I would have knee pain.   On the bike, a good fitting should include foot, knee/leg alignment as one small part of the fitting.

Thanks for the advice! I may end up seeing a PT because I am not sure if my feet are lining up the way they should be.
As for sleep, I usally need a lot- about 8-10 hours. I normally go to bed about 9 or 10 O' clock and wake up between 6 and 7 in the morning. I usally sleep pretty well, and fall asleep within 20 minutes. This used to not be the case. I used to drink a lot of caffeinated soda and laid awake in bed for about 2 hours a night. I switched to uncaffinated soda and now fall asleep very easily.
2008-05-15 6:39 PM

User image

Expert
Donato,
Best of luck in Lanzarote! We'll be cheering you on from back here.
2008-05-15 8:36 PM

Regular
NorCal, near Lake Tahoe, Ca
Donato, good luck!

I haven't checked in for a few days so I'm just catching up...

As far as the weight thing goes, I've always been heavy. I'm at about the best I've ever been right now and I'd still like to lose about 5-7 pounds. My problem is portion control and working weird shifts. I have a hard time telling when I'm full, so I overeat. I'm working on controlling that one. The weird shifts I have no control over. I work a mix of P.M.s and graveyards. At 5am it's very hard to talk yourself into a salad, but very easy to grab the chips or cookies.

Those shifts also mess with my sleep patterns. I recently saw an article that says people who work the graveyard shift tend to be heavier. It's partially the food that's available and partially the sleep deprivation messes with your biorhythms and makes you want to eat. Boy, I can vouch for that one!
2008-05-16 9:07 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Donato, best of luck this weekend! And good luck to anyone else racing this weekend!

Commuted to work on the mountain bike this morning, first time ever.  I only live a few miles from the office, but it was a lot of fun.

2008-05-16 3:11 PM

User image

Expert
Computerland
Good luck to everybody raing this weekend
2008-05-16 8:47 PM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)

Guess I've been a bit absent this week.  Spring on the farm is a busy time.  I'm a little freaked out about my race Sunday.  I haven't been able to stick to my training plan and missed my long bike and a short run.  I'm sure I'll be fine, but that evil Doubt Monster is lurking.  Tomorrow I'm going to the race site to do their swim clinic.  Basically it's an organized swim and a way for most of us to get in the first OWS of the year.  Last week the lake temp was a sweltering 58*.  Yay for being in MN. 

2008-05-17 3:27 PM

Regular
Pattie,
Good Luck! Doing that OWS sounds like a great idea.
2008-05-18 3:35 PM
in reply to: #1408613

Regular
I don't know how you hot weather peeps do it. I went out for a trail run at 10:30 this morning. It was 75 when I started and was quickly over 80 degrees. (We've been setting records for the past 3 days.) Even though I was drinking water I still had to stop for a few minutes in the shade. Ugh What do you do to run in the heat? My race next month is in Sacramento. It's going to be hot and it's making me nervous.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » enginerd's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 17