Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2008-05-28 10:34 AM
in reply to: #1428016

User image

Veteran
Washington , MO
Subject: RE: tcovert's Group - CLOSED

Slahmmer - 2008-05-28 8:34 AM Quick question - in the transition from swim to bike do people usually put biking gloves on? I guess the bike is only 24 miles, so I don't need them and I am not sure I could get them on my wet/cold hands. Just curious what people typically do....

I haven't worn em in the few tri's i've done , however, i did in one of the duathlons because of cold temps. I actually wore them on the first run leg(you can see em in my avatar) as well.  Since i'm in aero most of the rides nowadays anyways, i dont even wear gloves at all no matter the distance. Still do mountain biking though. If you wear gloves exclusively on rides now, you may want to do 1 or 2 rides at race distance (if possible) to see how you like it. I wouldn't advise on experimenting on race day normally, but i'd be inclined to think you'd be ok on a 24 miler if you can't squeeze one in, in time. Thinking back at the sprint races i've been to, i don't believe most peeps wear gloves either, but im normally oogling at the sweet rides and not the clothing, heh.

2008-05-28 12:28 PM
in reply to: #1428375

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
jcash683 - 2008-05-28 8:34 AM

Slahmmer - 2008-05-28 8:34 AM Quick question - in the transition from swim to bike do people usually put biking gloves on? I guess the bike is only 24 miles, so I don't need them and I am not sure I could get them on my wet/cold hands. Just curious what people typically do....

I haven't worn em in the few tri's i've done , however, i did in one of the duathlons because of cold temps. I actually wore them on the first run leg(you can see em in my avatar) as well.  Since i'm in aero most of the rides nowadays anyways, i dont even wear gloves at all no matter the distance. Still do mountain biking though. If you wear gloves exclusively on rides now, you may want to do 1 or 2 rides at race distance (if possible) to see how you like it. I wouldn't advise on experimenting on race day normally, but i'd be inclined to think you'd be ok on a 24 miler if you can't squeeze one in, in time. Thinking back at the sprint races i've been to, i don't believe most peeps wear gloves either, but im normally oogling at the sweet rides and not the clothing, heh.

I do wear them...mostly for safety in the event of a crash (it would suck not to finish just because I couldn't grip the handlebars anymore). A lot of people don't wear them. I did buy a pair that is one size too big for racing to ease transitions...I tried a whole bunch on until I found one that was still comfortable in the next size up. Even before I bought the larger gloves, though, I never had any problems getting the gloves on. (I did forget to take them off on the run in my first tri...had to take them off during the run and stuff them in jersey pocket.)

In general, I think that the issue of getting apparel on after the swim is a little overrated on BT. I've gradually eliminated clothing items over the course of my 4 tris to-date, but I've done races and "dress rehearsals" for races (all three disciplines on the actual course) where I've added a bike jersey after the swim or added bike shorts over my swimsuit (jammers) before I bought tri shorts and top. It wasn't that big a deal...provided you pick the right shorts, jersey, gloves, whatever. I think a lot of the advice you'll get is based on people trying to put on very form-fitting jerseys or shorts...which isn't going to be quick no matter whether you are wet or dry. Same story with socks. I can't imagine running without socks...and I haven't seen any good reason not to put them on after the swim, since I wear them on the bike in training. I usually do a quick rinse of my feet after an ocean or lake swim anyhow, so I have to do a quick towel dry, which just takes five seconds or so...and which tends to get my hands dry as well for putting gloves on.

Whatever you've gotten acclimated to in training (and at the appropriate distance) is what you should do in a race. The biggest loss of time in transitions is mostly due to disorientation, confusion, or failure to plan in advance, not due to the few seconds it takes to add or subtract an item or two (at least in my experience). If one thinks they'll be within seconds of a podium spot in their AG, then it may be worth sweating those few seconds...otherwise, I'm all for things like confidence and comfort.
2008-05-28 1:00 PM
in reply to: #1358169

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Thanks for the advice. I am starting to get a little nervous. I know I am in shape and ready, just the whole putting it all together thing is somewhat worrisome. They announced the waves yesterday. The elite wave is first, and then they go from youngest to oldest, starting every 2 minutes. I am in the first non-elite wave since I am young. This means that there are gonna be some really strong swimmers starting right after me so I am gonna get passed a lot. There goes the idea of just starting in the back and taking it easy and not worrying about having tons of swimmers right around me. Ugh.
2008-05-28 3:48 PM
in reply to: #1428742

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Slahmmer - 2008-05-28 11:00 AM

Thanks for the advice. I am starting to get a little nervous. I know I am in shape and ready, just the whole putting it all together thing is somewhat worrisome. They announced the waves yesterday. The elite wave is first, and then they go from youngest to oldest, starting every 2 minutes. I am in the first non-elite wave since I am young. This means that there are gonna be some really strong swimmers starting right after me so I am gonna get passed a lot. There goes the idea of just starting in the back and taking it easy and not worrying about having tons of swimmers right around me. Ugh.

Remember, though, that you have a two minute "headstart" on the next wave. You'll be able to get your first couple hundred yards or so in before the fastest swimmers in the next wave even start to catch up to you, even if you decide to start at or near the back of your wave.

If your inclination is to start in the back, you should definitely do that and don't worry about the wave behind you. Unless/until the bulk of the wave behind you catches up, you have a lot less contact to worry about from them than from your wave. Based on your pool swim times, though, I suspect you'll be faster than a fair number of other women in your wave, so you should be prepared for passing some people if you start all the way at the back.
2008-05-30 12:29 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Good morning...welcome to Friday! (Okay, I know it's the afternoon already for some of you...)

We're getting into the thick of the race season now...at least three of us have races this weekend: I'm doing a 5K and Sarah and Melissa both have tris.

I'll post a little about my race and goals shortly. Sarah? Melissa? How're you guys feeling? Excited? Nervous? Ready? All of the above? Any nagging questions? Any goals to share?

Saw some really good weeks of training looking at logs just now. Way to go! (I know the weather's starting to cooperate more for everyone around the country as the weeks go by.)

Any big training ambitions for the weekend anyone wants to share?
2008-05-30 12:54 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
My wife and I will be doing a tiny little local 5K race for the 3rd year in a row...it's turned into a bit of a benchmark race (it's the only 5K we've done every year since I started racing again in fall 2005). I initially entered in 2006 because it was in the neighborhood of the Celtic Arts Center, where I'm a long time board member, and one of our fellow members (who's a top AG duathlete) thought it would be "neighborly" if some of us from the Center entered. Last year, Liz (my wife) entered as well. The Center has moved to a new location and my friend will be hungover from his birthday party , so it'll just be Liz and me this year.

This race is where I set my current 5K PR (20:31 last year)...I think the course is a bit short...we'll find out now that I have a Garmin 205. In 2006, I ran it in 20:57, so I'm hoping for another drop this time--ideally to sub-20:15. I know I can physically do three 6:30 miles...just have to do it when it counts.

The bigger goal--which I might or might not be ready for--is sub-20. That means sub-6:28 miles. I know I'll get there eventually (well, at least I'd like to think so...I do have to remember I'm creeping up on 50...), but it's conceivable it could be this weekend. Conditions should be perfect, so we'll see...

2008-05-30 3:40 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Good luck on that goal, Todd! My goodness, with those times, you are but a blur out there! Melissa and Sarah, good luck to you guys and have fun. We're all rooting for you!

I'll be taking it easy this weekend...had a dental procedure this morning that will take a few days to heal. Will catch up on some reading and piano.

Have a good weekend everyone!
2008-05-30 4:55 PM
in reply to: #1433586

User image

Veteran
Washington , MO

tcovert - 2008-05-30 12:54 PM My wife and I will be doing a tiny little local 5K race for the 3rd year in a row...it's turned into a bit of a benchmark race (it's the only 5K we've done every year since I started racing again in fall 2005). I initially entered in 2006 because it was in the neighborhood of the Celtic Arts Center, where I'm a long time board member, and one of our fellow members (who's a top AG duathlete) thought it would be "neighborly" if some of us from the Center entered. Last year, Liz (my wife) entered as well. The Center has moved to a new location and my friend will be hungover from his birthday party , so it'll just be Liz and me this year. This race is where I set my current 5K PR (20:31 last year)...I think the course is a bit short...we'll find out now that I have a Garmin 205. In 2006, I ran it in 20:57, so I'm hoping for another drop this time--ideally to sub-20:15. I know I can physically do three 6:30 miles...just have to do it when it counts. The bigger goal--which I might or might not be ready for--is sub-20. That means sub-6:28 miles. I know I'll get there eventually (well, at least I'd like to think so...I do have to remember I'm creeping up on 50...), but it's conceivable it could be this weekend. Conditions should be perfect, so we'll see...

Todd-  I think you got sub 20's in you Todd. Push hard, you got it!

Sarah & Melissa- You guys have trained hard, enjoy the race. Wish i was there rooting you 2 on! Don't forget to report.

Kim- Hope your feeling better soon

I have a fun run 5k as well this weekend at the St. Louis Zoo. This year i'm gonna creep up front, at the start, so i can actually run the whole way. Last year i didn't hit a full speed run till around the 1/8 mile mark because of the large crowd, and i was in the middle. Hoping to hit low 19's if i get a clear shot but we'll see. The best part is watching my oldest daughter(10 yrs) do the 1-mile run. All kids get a medal and she was so proud of it last year

Good luck to all and have a great weekend!

2008-05-30 5:00 PM
in reply to: #1434398

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
jcash683 - 2008-05-30 2:55 PM

I have a fun run 5k as well this weekend at the St. Louis Zoo. This year i'm gonna creep up front, at the start, so i can actually run the whole way. Last year i didn't hit a full speed run till around the 1/8 mile mark because of the large crowd, and i was in the middle. Hoping to hit low 19's if i get a clear shot but we'll see. The best part is watching my oldest daughter(10 yrs) do the 1-mile run. All kids get a medal and she was so proud of it last year

Good luck to all and have a great weekend!

Good luck, yourself, and have a great time! (One of the benefits of getting faster is being less shy about starting up front and not fighting through the pack...)
2008-05-31 3:35 PM

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Thanks for the good luck everybody! I think this will be a great first race to me, hopefully the first of many!! Everybody have a great weekend!

Edited by Pegasus1731 2008-05-31 3:37 PM
2008-06-01 4:09 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Close (to sub-20 min.) on the 5K this morning, but no cigar: 20:02. But new PR in any case, by 29 seconds. 2nd in my AG (40-49 for this race) and 5th out of 217 overall (lots and lots of walkers).

Coolest part of the day: My wife was surprised with 1st in her AG (also 40-49). First podium finish in a running event in her life. (And not even a PR for her...she PRed in this race last year...and only got 5th in her AG for her troubles.)

2008-06-02 7:20 AM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Todd - Congrats to you and your wife on the race!

My race went really well. Definitely learned a lot, so I'm already looking forward to the next one! I posted my times in the training log and I'll follow up with a race report tonight or tomorrow.

Hope everyone had a good weekend!
2008-06-02 10:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Washington , MO

Excellent job on everyone's races this weekend. All of the training really paid off huge!

I managed to squeak under the 20 min mark with a 19:56 in my 5k so overall i'm pleased. Think i pushed a bit to hard trying to hang with the leaders for the first 1.5 miles and that really caught up with me during the 3rd mile. Ended up 3rd of 77 in my AG so got a little hardware for my effort. 38 of 1500ish overall. Was really hoping for 19:30ish Maybe next year.

My oldest daughter(10yrs) ended up 4th of all girls in the kids 1/2 mile run, 14th of 81 overall with a 3:24 1/2 mile time so i was so proud of her. She ran her "butt" off , in her own words   My youngest daughter(8yrs) ran with my wife in the 1mile fun run and they ended up with a 14:33 time. Seeing all my girls participate in the races was the best part of the day by a longshot!

Then some strolling around the zoo and a spin on the little train after the awards were announced. Awesome weather, awesome day!

Anyways, back to some good training volume this week, wooot!

peace,  John

2008-06-02 12:15 PM
in reply to: #1438097

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
jcash683 - 2008-06-02 8:01 AM

Excellent job on everyone's races this weekend. All of the training really paid off huge!

I managed to squeak under the 20 min mark with a 19:56 in my 5k so overall i'm pleased. Think i pushed a bit to hard trying to hang with the leaders for the first 1.5 miles and that really caught up with me during the 3rd mile. Ended up 3rd of 77 in my AG so got a little hardware for my effort. 38 of 1500ish overall. Was really hoping for 19:30ish Maybe next year.

My oldest daughter(10yrs) ended up 4th of all girls in the kids 1/2 mile run, 14th of 81 overall with a 3:24 1/2 mile time so i was so proud of her. She ran her "butt" off , in her own words   My youngest daughter(8yrs) ran with my wife in the 1mile fun run and they ended up with a 14:33 time. Seeing all my girls participate in the races was the best part of the day by a longshot!

Then some strolling around the zoo and a spin on the little train after the awards were announced. Awesome weather, awesome day!

Anyways, back to some good training volume this week, wooot!

peace,  John

Sounds like a really fun day all the way around. (And a big weekend for family participation in racing, it seems...). Congrats on the podium finish!
2008-06-02 12:21 PM
in reply to: #1437598

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Slahmmer - 2008-06-02 5:20 AM

Todd - Congrats to you and your wife on the race!

My race went really well. Definitely learned a lot, so I'm already looking forward to the next one! I posted my times in the training log and I'll follow up with a race report tonight or tomorrow.

Hope everyone had a good weekend!

2:41!!! Wow! Great job!

You set the bar pretty high there...I'm hoping for a sub-2:40 in my first full-distance Oly race at the end of the month...I have a feeling you're going to wind up with the best Oly time of the month here...
2008-06-02 1:24 PM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
I posted my race report. Happy reading.

I am not making a structured training plan this week. Just gonna do what I feel like. Might go for an easy spin tonight, but there are bad thunderstorms in the forecast so that might not work not.

2008-06-02 1:57 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
So, it's not just Monday, but the start of month #2 here. Anyone got any thoughts they'd like to share about how May went? Or plans/goals for June?

Personally, I'm happy with my training in May: no injuries and I got my longest swim and bike distances accomplished on or ahead of schedule.

June is going to be a bit of a tricky balance: If most of my training is about my "A" race in July (first half-iron), I still have an "A-minus" race on June 29 to get ready for...first Oly race where all three distances are actually the official Olympic standard (as opposed to Desert International, where the swim is short). I have my biggest brick workout scheduled for 8 days before that Oly, so I may not be as fresh for that race as I might like. But I can't push the brick back a week because I'll be at a retreat site over the July 4 weekend where I won't be able to swim and won't be able to take my bike. Life's little compromises...
2008-06-02 5:17 PM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Quick etiquette type question. A few times during the race I felt swimmers behind me touch my feet. Did they touch my feet by accident or were they trying to signal to me that I need to move over out of the "fast lane"?
2008-06-02 6:28 PM
in reply to: #1439814

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Slahmmer - 2008-06-02 3:17 PM

Quick etiquette type question. A few times during the race I felt swimmers behind me touch my feet. Did they touch my feet by accident or were they trying to signal to me that I need to move over out of the "fast lane"?

Did they end up passing you? Probably by accident, in any case--if they didn't pass, they may have actually been drafting off of you and were close enough that they made contact, but if they passed you then they probably just ran up on your feet while approaching.

But, no, you aren't obliged to move to the right like on the bike...
2008-06-02 7:54 PM

User image

Overland Park, KS

Ok, so I've been going through everyone's logs trying to see how many days "off" everyone takes.  I'm averaging about one a week but no set day.  Typically it's that "life" is just too busy and I can't get a workout in.  So it's 8:00 and this is usually when I go workout (just got the youngest to bed).  My head is clogged, I've been having allergy problems and I just feel ready for bed.  I could easily go do a light or recovery workout since I did workout hard this weekend.  I think I've convinced myself to take the night off in hopes of having enough energy to get a "brick" workout in tomorrow morning but I always feel so guilty taking a night off when I have the time and opportunity to workout.  So, feedback - how do you plan your nights "off" and do you mentally beat yourself up for not working out on those days? 

When I look back at my May schedule, I'm happy with the amount of workouts that I did get in but I know on my days off I beat myself up on those days too.

2008-06-02 10:00 PM
in reply to: #1440161

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Honest answer? I don't take days off as a rule (recently did 73 days straight). When I do, they are either due to a really early travel departure or they are totally unplanned...life got in the way, I was injured (hasn't happened much, thankfully), pool was unexpectedly closed. I don't beat myself up about those off days, in general, but sometimes I do. Life's too short to worry about that too much.

A couple thoughts:

--A missed workout in and of itself is no biggie. One of the reasons I don't like training plans is that they project a bit too much of a sense of a fixed routine for my taste...generally I plan to get to the distances I need for a race well in advance so that I have room to miss a long workout without sacrificing my readiness. However...beware of the slippery slope...don't give yourself too much permission to skip workouts...that way lies the exit door to fitness.

--I used to workout in the evening, but I've gotten myself turned around to working out in the morning. If you do that and can't get going one morning, you may still be able to get the workout in that evening. Just a thought...

--Just because I don't usually plan days off, doesn't mean I don't plan for rest and recovery. I'll use swimming to rest from bike and run, for instance (I did that this weekend). And I definitely use the concept of active recovery...I'll plan in low intensity/volume days when they are needed. One reason I believe in that is that studies are showing that daily aerobic exercise of 1 hour duration is the single most effective method of keeping weight off after a significant loss.

(Of course, my wife just thinks I'm obsessed with not skipping a day of training, so there's that...)

2008-06-03 8:38 AM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Hey Carmen - Don't sweat the small stuff But, yeah, to answer your question I typically end up having one day a week or so where I don't get a workout in. The only time I plan off days are before races. Otherwise they just happen. Sometimes I am busy at work, sometimes the weather doesn't cooperate at all, and sometimes I just feel like having a huge dinner with my husband and drinking wine (ha, just figured I'd be honest!)
I usually have a weekly goal of either a time amount I want to get in (such as 7 hrs) or a quantity of workouts (such as 3 swims, 3 bikes, 3 runs, etc). If I really want to take the day off and I've still got time left in the week to get in my goal I don't worry about it at all!

Todd - Yeah, I think they just accidentally touched my feet. I think they ended up passing me, but I was never really that close to the buoy's so even if there was a "fast" lane, I wasn't in it

I've got a deadline at work and I am wasting time!!!! Nobody tell me boss!
2008-06-03 10:39 AM

User image

Texas
Hey guys good job on all the races this weekend.  Yall did a pretty killer job.  Sorry i have not posted or loged my work outs in a while.  I am have been packing and gettin ready for my Military training.  I am leaving thursday for Fort Lewis, Washington for some of my officer training.  I wont be back till July 8th so yall will not being hearing much from me.  But good luck with everyones training for the next month and cant wait to get back and start training again.  Good luck guys and gals.
2008-06-03 12:19 PM
in reply to: #1441360

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
landon5108 - 2008-06-03 8:39 AM

Hey guys good job on all the races this weekend.  Yall did a pretty killer job.  Sorry i have not posted or loged my work outs in a while.  I am have been packing and gettin ready for my Military training.  I am leaving thursday for Fort Lewis, Washington for some of my officer training.  I wont be back till July 8th so yall will not being hearing much from me.  But good luck with everyones training for the next month and cant wait to get back and start training again.  Good luck guys and gals.

Good luck to you!
2008-06-03 12:41 PM

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Woo! I finishied my race on sunday, and I think i'm hooked! It went really well for a first race. My next one is in 3 weeks, and I'm pumped!! Thanks everybody for the support, hope you all have a great week!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tcovert's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 18