BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eurydice79 (Magda's) Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2009-02-20 9:50 AM
in reply to: #1858074

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Eurydice79 (Magda's) Group - FULL

For this weekend - my training is a little off but I am nothing if not flexible in finding a way to get it done! I have friends visiting for the weekend.  So, i'll do my Saturday bike after work tonight before they arrive and get in my long run of 24k in after they go at lunch on Sunday. So that means Saturday is my rest day!

Magda - glad to hear you'll be getting the bike back soon but it must feel strange to not be able to take your bike out. do you usually do a long ride on Saturday?

Bike related question: have you all had a professional bike fit? I got shoes and clipless pedals in the fall and my DBF and i adjusted my bike but my left toes seems to fall asleep and i know that has to do with fit but i wonder if i should wait until the weather clears a bit to take it in when i'll just tune it up and get a fit ... am i at a bit injury risk if i just stay on the trainer knowing my pedal set up isn't ideal?

2009-02-20 9:52 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Oh and my race! My first tri is june 20th. so i have lots of time! :D

And the Du (my first official multisport event) is in May on our holiday weekend.

Another Question for the Group: What is your "A" race (primary goal race)  for the year/season (possible to have multiple)?

2009-02-20 8:24 PM
in reply to: #1972652

I had a professional fit. Most of these folks want to know if something bothers you. I would ask your "fitter" before you develop any potential discomfort. Perhaps your shoe needs some adjustment.

I switched out my old bike seat for a new one. I also need to add aerobars. I'm certain I will need to be refit for those changes well before race season.
2009-02-21 2:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
Hello All,
Sorry I have been off the net for a a few day, the hotel's conductivity has been terrible. I have also caught up with my log. Friday will be a travel day; i am heading to Seattle WA so i will finally be back at sea level and I hope that it is going to be a little warmer.

2009-02-22 5:57 PM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

Good morning team! Welcome to page 10!

I had a totally useless weekend - I have a chest wog and spent the weekend coughing my lungs up!!! I was at swim squad this morning again though and I am hoping this week to finally get back on track with my HIM training.

I am hoping that my bike will be ready tomorrow.

2009-02-22 6:01 PM
in reply to: #1972652

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
juniperjen - 2009-02-21 12:50 AM

For this weekend - my training is a little off but I am nothing if not flexible in finding a way to get it done! I have friends visiting for the weekend.  So, i'll do my Saturday bike after work tonight before they arrive and get in my long run of 24k in after they go at lunch on Sunday. So that means Saturday is my rest day!

Well done on fitting in the training so well around your social activities, its a real skill

Magda - glad to hear you'll be getting the bike back soon but it must feel strange to not be able to take your bike out. do you usually do a long ride on Saturday?

Yes I usually do my long rides on Saturdays. So its been three weeks in a row that I haven't done a proper long ride!!! Three weeks ago a spoke broke, two weeks ago the chain broke and last week it was in the bike shop getting fixed. Fingers crossed this weekend I'll be back in the saddle!!!

Bike related question: have you all had a professional bike fit? I got shoes and clipless pedals in the fall and my DBF and i adjusted my bike but my left toes seems to fall asleep and i know that has to do with fit but i wonder if i should wait until the weather clears a bit to take it in when i'll just tune it up and get a fit ... am i at a bit injury risk if i just stay on the trainer knowing my pedal set up isn't ideal?

Yes bike fit is sooooo important! You can injure yourself or just get really sore/numb if its not set up right. I had my bike fitted at the shop when I purchased it 3 years ago and its been great all along.

2009-02-22 6:03 PM
in reply to: #1974860

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

jrcody - 2009-02-22 5:47 AM Hello All, Sorry I have been off the net for a a few day, the hotel's conductivity has been terrible. I have also caught up with my log. Friday will be a travel day; i am heading to Seattle WA so i will finally be back at sea level and I hope that it is going to be a little warmer.

Ahhh, I drove through Seattle last year with my Canadian cousins, we were going from Vancouver to windsurf in Hood River. What lovely holiday memories

I am sure its a lot colder there now than it was in July/Aug!!!

2009-02-24 9:40 PM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

Good morning team! Geez its a bit quiet on here! How is everyone going? I'll go through your logs later and "inspire" you all

Good news: I got my bike back! I can't wait to get out there and ride now. It'll either be tomorrow or Friday. Yay!

2009-02-24 9:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal

I'm doing great! Per everybody's recommendations, I am taking a day off every ~1.5 weeks. It gives me much more strength and energy!

I'm hating this never-ending Canadian winter... I absolutely cannot WAIT to be able to do all my sports outdoors. Come spring, I want to do practice tris (Sprint, Olympic) before school every 1-2 weeks on my own. Has anyone ever done that kind of training? Thoughts?

I got in contact with a running group nearby, although I've been putting off actually joining them out of sheer intimidation! They do super long runs, and some are incredibly fast... They are real runners that have been running forever! I'm trying to abandon my fear and just join them! They're welcoming me with open arms but... I'm still quite nervous!

How is everyone else doing?!

2009-02-25 6:54 PM
in reply to: #1980506

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
krystyna47 - 2009-02-25 12:58 PM

I'm doing great! Per everybody's recommendations, I am taking a day off every ~1.5 weeks. It gives me much more strength and energy!

I'm hating this never-ending Canadian winter... I absolutely cannot WAIT to be able to do all my sports outdoors. Come spring, I want to do practice tris (Sprint, Olympic) before school every 1-2 weeks on my own. Has anyone ever done that kind of training? Thoughts?

I got in contact with a running group nearby, although I've been putting off actually joining them out of sheer intimidation! They do super long runs, and some are incredibly fast... They are real runners that have been running forever! I'm trying to abandon my fear and just join them! They're welcoming me with open arms but... I'm still quite nervous!

How is everyone else doing?!

Hi Krystyna! Wow you're a machine - only one rest day every 1.5 weeks wow! I wish I had your energy, I have to take 1 day a week minimum I'm glad its working for you.

I say -JOIN THE RUNNING GROUP! I think you'll do just fine. You're not a slow runner and you're clearly already very fit. Just do it!

Are you saying you're planning to do a "practice" triathlon on your own every 2 weeks? I don't think thats a good idea - way too much stress on your body! Certainly "bricks" are recommended as part of your training but you don't need to go so hard.

2009-02-25 6:56 PM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

Hi team!

I am finally feeling good this week! Training has been spot-on and I am looking fwd to taking my bike out tomorrow morning for some intervals. It will be the first time in about 2 weeks!

I have the day off today. I've already been at swim squad this morning and this evening I am planning to attend a group OWS which I normally wouldn't be able to get to because of work!

I am also baking some baklava for the first time in my life, its for an eqyptian themed party on Sat night, I'll post a photo if it works out!

2009-02-25 8:51 PM
in reply to: #1982185

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
eurydice79 - 2009-02-25 7:56 PM

I have the day off today. I've already been at swim squad this morning and this evening I am planning to attend a group OWS which I normally wouldn't be able to get to because of work!

Quick question: What is a group OWS? I'm hearing that term everywhere but I can't figure out what it is!

2009-02-26 4:45 PM
in reply to: #1982393

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
krystyna47 - 2009-02-26 11:51 AM
eurydice79 - 2009-02-25 7:56 PM

Quick question: What is a group OWS? I'm hearing that term everywhere but I can't figure out what it is!

OWS = Open Water Swim

2009-02-26 9:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal

It's my university's "Reading Week" (and by reading week, they should really mean "Catch Up on as Much Sleep as Possible, because we will RAPE you with approaching final exams". Besides the point. In my relaxed state of mind this week, I've been philosophically musing just WHY I do triathlons, and why I train for them...

To be perfectly honest, although I know perfection is not possible... I simply adore the act of attempting perfection, not just in the moment, but in the weeks, months and (hopefully) the years.

What about everyone else? 

2009-02-26 9:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal

ALSO: what is everyone's music of choice when biking/running or even swimming (should you have the gadgetry for that! I was thinking about getting an underwater mp3 player, any advice?)?

Currently, my personal choices include:

"Love Lockdown" by Kanye West, "Optimo" by Liquid Liquid, "Magick" by The Klaxons, "Run" by Air, "Ulysses" by Franz Ferdinand... and so on.

Who here does listen to music while running/swimming/biking?!

2009-02-27 3:25 AM
in reply to: #1984827

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
krystyna47 - 2009-02-27 12:36 PM

It's my university's "Reading Week" (and by reading week, they should really mean "Catch Up on as Much Sleep as Possible, because we will RAPE you with approaching final exams". Besides the point. In my relaxed state of mind this week, I've been philosophically musing just WHY I do triathlons, and why I train for them...

To be perfectly honest, although I know perfection is not possible... I simply adore the act of attempting perfection, not just in the moment, but in the weeks, months and (hopefully) the years.

What about everyone else? 

I don't actually like racing that much. I like the training much much more, especially cycling. But racing gives me something to aim for and it gets me out of bed in order to keep training. I do triathlons because I need something to aim for if I am to keep exercising regularly and keeping fit & healthy. Going to the gym is just sooo boring, but what I do doesn't feel like forced exercise. I guess I also like the fact that I am fitter than the average person. I also like trying out to see how far I can push myself. I am constantly amazed at what the human body is capable of

2009-02-27 3:25 AM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

Oooh welcome to page 13!!!

2009-02-27 3:29 AM
in reply to: #1984833

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
krystyna47 - 2009-02-27 12:41 PM

ALSO: what is everyone's music of choice when biking/running or even swimming (should you have the gadgetry for that! I was thinking about getting an underwater mp3 player, any advice?)?

Currently, my personal choices include:

"Love Lockdown" by Kanye West, "Optimo" by Liquid Liquid, "Magick" by The Klaxons, "Run" by Air, "Ulysses" by Franz Ferdinand... and so on.

Who here does listen to music while running/swimming/biking?!

I don't listen to music when swimming, although I think those underwater MP3 players are very nifty! I never swim on my own, always in a squad, so that gets me over the boredom of swimming! I also don't listen to music when cycling because I am on the road and need to focus on the traffic around me.

I have an "exercise playlist" on my iPod which I update regularly. My current favourite is "Let It Rock" by Kevin Rudolf and "Walking On A Dream" by Empire of the Sun. I like the bit where they say "We are always running for the thrill of it, pushing up the hills ... "

2009-02-27 9:40 AM

I also have music playing when I exercise, mainly for running and indoor spinning. I tried an older model of headphones for swimming but did not think they worked all that well. The newer versions might. I also swim with a group- and we need to interact with the coach and others in the lane. If I had a system that played music well- it might be great for long swims when I am there alone.

I'm old, so I prefer "classic" rock. That's just my generation. I have a hard time finding new music that I like. More recently, since I can download books, I have run with those too. Usually the book needs to be- well- light ie not too serious or complicated. Adventrue stories help me keep pumped. Other options include triathelete or other sports pod casts. I get real tired of my music collection. I have learned alot from certain pod casts- and they are free.

With spinning, I alternate fast and slow songs to vary my speed and tension. I use songs that are about 5 min long. Most songs have a varied tempo or defined chorus to help me switch cadence or drills. The music helps me ad lib a workout. I was also suprised that during a spin class an instructor used classical music- it was actually fun. Perhaps we were so zoned from the endorphin high the music helped with dissociation from reality. Who knows.

I am trying a new charity event this weekend. It is called a ride to nowhere. As you may guess, it is a race on stationary bikes. You pedal as fast as you can for 30 min. The money raised is for MS. This event is fairly well attended and draws >150 entries.

Hope everyone is starting to see some better weather . Val
2009-03-02 4:50 AM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

How did your weekend charity event go Val? It looks like a lot of fun

2009-03-02 4:51 AM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

Good evening team! How did everyone's weekend go? We had a long weekend here (public holiday Monday) and I got lots of good training in!

2009-03-02 10:49 PM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

Good morning team!

Theres not much dialouge on here - I'll have to check your logs and "inspire" you all

2009-03-03 8:00 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Oh, you're so lucky that you got the holiday! Though I am sure your work schedule still keeps you on your toes.

My weekend was good. Though I found myself with a "mini" cold. No major symptoms - slightly sore throat, one side of the nose is runny, stuffy head.  So, i was good to go for my normal training. Still did well but i feel like it's catching up with me so i'll try to take it easy over the next few days so it shakes loose. But it's such a fine edge sword in training - I don't feel bad enough to take full rest days and I don't want to mentally - but maybe some extra sleep would help me out!

Anyway, Krystyna, about the music: I rarely ever listen to music while doing any of the three sports. My trainer is set up by the tv so i usually bike to tv shows - I like TV on DVD - no commercials :D. And i only use the treadmills sparingly then i listen to music for part of the run. Right now I just have a bunch of my favourite albums playing in sequence. I happen to really enjoy when I catch Dragonette or Esthero which are a little more up tempo. Otherwise, I LOVE being outside and just soaking it up and dont really need music!

2009-03-03 8:03 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
I have a discussion point for the group:  Soon my main goal running race will be done.  And then I have to switch up my training. For me, it will be a big change from high volume running to more balanced tri training.  Mentally, I think it's going to be an adjustment - have any of you significantly changed your training style? How did you do it? I know i am going to miss the long runs but it is exciting to venture to the tri side ... any coping tips?
2009-03-03 9:42 AM
in reply to: #1990782

This was fun. I was was 2nd overall novice female. All you had to do was spin as fast as you could for 30 min. Was a good workout. Been sore for days. Better now though. I hope I am done with the colds for now. The weather is improving. The plantar fasciitis is slowly improving.

What I will do is essentially start over with some base building. I'll keep distance short and appropriate for the race distances I will target. I hope to prevent worse injury.

Cutting back has been awful but necessary. Sad how quickly the weight tacks on. I feel like a big (out of shape) slug.

Although I am on call this weekend, I will still try to do our local indoor tri. (I will have to have my husband hold my pager for the short swim).

After that, I hope to find a good 8-week plan to follow for late summer early fall sprint tri's.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eurydice79 (Magda's) Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 15