of 29

2009-01-20 9:37 PM
in reply to: #1919191

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: kenj group - Closed
WittyCityGirl - 2009-01-20 8:53 PM

Just when we thought we've got our work cut out for us...

www.rowforhope.com

Paul is a buddy of ours who is rowing across the Atlantic Ocean.  Pretty impressive!

I'd say! Wow!

2009-01-20 9:57 PM
in reply to: #1859832

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas
Inpressive I guess!!  Thanks for sharing.
2009-01-21 4:37 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Happy Wednesday!!!!

Happy is everyone up to today?

2009-01-21 7:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas
Travel day for me today.  I'll try to get some bicycle time in when I get home this evening.
2009-01-21 10:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston
Concerned about mile repeats this morning with the half marathon Sunday. I was suffering on third one. It was 30 degrees...yes I know its not cold for most of you but my nose drainage is by buckets when its "cold".
2009-01-21 3:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Middleville, MI
Treadmill run tonight while my daughter is at swimming.  Going to try for 5 miles tonight.  Never ran that far on a dreadmill but now that I have told everyone guess I gotta.  I did stop at the bookstore today and bought Total Immersion.  Now I gotta have some motivation to sit down and read it.

2009-01-21 3:51 PM
in reply to: #1919657

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

snaproll - 2009-01-21 8:25 AM Travel day for me today.  I'll try to get some bicycle time in when I get home this evening.

Have a safe trip and nice ride when you return!

2009-01-21 4:00 PM
in reply to: #1920144

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

wakehr - 2009-01-21 11:47 AM Concerned about mile repeats this morning with the half marathon Sunday. I was suffering on third one. It was 30 degrees...yes I know its not cold for most of you but my nose drainage is by buckets when its "cold".

Knowing the plan you are on well, I would agree about being concerned!

And other than races, it is never too cold to run up here as long as the treadmill in the basement is in good working order!

2009-01-21 4:01 PM
in reply to: #1920859

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

CraigT - 2009-01-21 4:40 PM Treadmill run tonight while my daughter is at swimming.  Going to try for 5 miles tonight.  Never ran that far on a dreadmill but now that I have told everyone guess I gotta.  I did stop at the bookstore today and bought Total Immersion.  Now I gotta have some motivation to sit down and read it.

The power of BT in action!  Nothing like a little peer pressure for motivation!

I have a bunch of friends I have made over the last couple of years that if I start slacking will not be kind in their motivational inspires!

2009-01-21 9:06 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin
Hope everyone is having a happy Hump Day. =)  Thanks for sending inspirational gestures through the blog.  I actually check BT more often than my email these days to see what's going on in the forum and who's written what! =)  My shoulder is feeling better with the seat adjustment but it's not as comfy for my tush.  Oh well.  On the bright side I got my first triathlon magazine in the mail today. Woohoo!
2009-01-22 3:54 AM
in reply to: #1921508

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

WittyCityGirl - 2009-01-21 10:06 PM Hope everyone is having a happy Hump Day. =)  Thanks for sending inspirational gestures through the blog.  I actually check BT more often than my email these days to see what's going on in the forum and who's written what! =)  My shoulder is feeling better with the seat adjustment but it's not as comfy for my tush.  Oh well.  On the bright side I got my first triathlon magazine in the mail today. Woohoo!

Glad to hear the shoulder is doing better!

2009-01-22 9:20 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

Let's see... my update...

Prednisone causes MAJOR heartburn.  Thank goodness I only have a couple of days left on them.

The PT appt went well.  The used a device that causes electrical contractions in the muscle.  After 15 mins session the pain was GONE.  Came back about 2 hours later but was less.  They said 2-3 weeks of this should cure it.  Yippie!

Till then no running or cycling.  We'll see if I can talk them inot some light running by week 2

Went for a swim on Tuesday in a PACKED pool. (Dang New Years Resolutionists).  I was circle swimming with 4 people in a 25 yard pool.  At times I was having to pass people by swimming UNDER them.  Makes you feel good when you are out swimming a guy wearing flippers.  Hopefully it'll be less crowded today.

My times are getting back to what they were before October.

So overall my outlook is better.

I keep missing days on the pushup challenge.  I think I'ma  day behind.  Also I have discovered that the piushups + weight training + swimming is making my arms damn tired.  But it feel good to be getting back inot the swing.

2009-01-22 2:03 PM
in reply to: #1922154

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
TriRSquared - 2009-01-22 10:20 AM

Let's see... my update...

Prednisone causes MAJOR heartburn.  Thank goodness I only have a couple of days left on them.

The PT appt went well.  The used a device that causes electrical contractions in the muscle.  After 15 mins session the pain was GONE.  Came back about 2 hours later but was less.  They said 2-3 weeks of this should cure it.  Yippie!

Till then no running or cycling.  We'll see if I can talk them inot some light running by week 2

Went for a swim on Tuesday in a PACKED pool. (Dang New Years Resolutionists).  I was circle swimming with 4 people in a 25 yard pool.  At times I was having to pass people by swimming UNDER them.  Makes you feel good when you are out swimming a guy wearing flippers.  Hopefully it'll be less crowded today.

My times are getting back to what they were before October.

So overall my outlook is better.

I keep missing days on the pushup challenge.  I think I'ma  day behind.  Also I have discovered that the piushups + weight training + swimming is making my arms damn tired.  But it feel good to be getting back inot the swing.

Glad to hear that things are looking better!!!

2009-01-22 2:07 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

One of the things that I like to do this time of year to motivate me to get my training in is to join a challenge!  In the next week or so, there will be some challenges posted for February (I just looked and there are none so far).  There is a seperate challenge forum.  If it sounds fun, just post a reply that you want in and what your goals would be as it applies to that challenge. 

Typically they will assign you to a team, create a team thread and link a spreadsheet to keep track of the challenge.

It is a great way to meet people and add a little meaning to your training. 

2009-01-23 9:52 AM

User image

Master
Dunedin

I have put 3 pretty solid weeks into training just to find out that....

Sara has left shoulder impingement. ARG! 

I'm not supposed to swim or bike for at least 10 days.  I think what I'm going to do today is my planned run and my swim, but just do lots of kicking and drills.   I'm supposed to do a straight 1500, so I'll just do a REALLy wimpy breaststroke.  *groan*

On the bright side!  I bought new running shoes yesterday!  They fit AMAZING and I'm ready to put them on and hit the pavement.  If anyone has a National Running Center near them I highly recommend taking a peek!  I went to the on in Scranton, PA and got a 10% student discount *wink, wink, nudge, nudge to any med students out there*

2009-01-23 10:32 AM
in reply to: #1924691

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas

Sara,

Sorry to hear that, but 10 days isn't that long.  Since you can keep running you won't lose any conditioning, and you can probably bike on a stationary recumbent where there is no pressure on your arms.  It's only 10 days.  Be a good girl and give it time to heal.  Smile

2009-01-24 8:55 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Good morning everyone!  Hows the weekend going so far!

I got a swim in early this morning and will either run or bike this afternoon.  Tomorrow it is back to following the plan I got off of when I was sick last week!

Have a great weekend and remember... train hard, but train smart!

2009-01-24 12:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston
Gang need help !! I have no motivation to swim!! why... maybe because I suck at it, or maybe because its when I do swim I get bored easily, loose focus or maybe this off season plan is kicking my but and the rest days (when I could swim) are spent well....resting. i dunno. I have no desire to swim so what's been the biggest things that has helped you become better with your stroke technique, kept you motivated to do length after length. dadadada over and over again. I've read TI book, have Terry's DVD, practice his drills and others every swim, took some lessons from a coach last year, attended a masters class for awhile. I learned to swim season before last but have seen little improvement. Right now I'd rather run a marathon than go to the pool. I'm pool depressed....if there is such a thing. Okay I feel better now.
2009-01-24 12:53 PM
in reply to: #1926843

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

wakehr - 2009-01-24 1:09 PM Gang need help !! I have no motivation to swim!! why... maybe because I suck at it, or maybe because its when I do swim I get bored easily, loose focus or maybe this off season plan is kicking my but and the rest days (when I could swim) are spent well....resting. i dunno. I have no desire to swim so what's been the biggest things that has helped you become better with your stroke technique, kept you motivated to do length after length. dadadada over and over again. I've read TI book, have Terry's DVD, practice his drills and others every swim, took some lessons from a coach last year, attended a masters class for awhile. I learned to swim season before last but have seen little improvement. Right now I'd rather run a marathon than go to the pool. I'm pool depressed....if there is such a thing. Okay I feel better now.

I feel your pain, and knowing the plan you are on, it basically gives you an excuse not to swim.  I don't necessarily disagree with their philosophy, as I am using the same plan.  But, swimming is my weakness so I drag myself there anyways.  My biggest problem with swimming is not the swimming itself, it is the fact that for the most part I can't do it on my terms.  That is, I can walk out the front door or go into the basement pretty much when I want and ride or run.  I have to rely on the pools schedule for swimming.  I enjoy swimming when I can get up and go to the lake on my schedule.  And I have never regretted a swim once I got it done!

What have I done to over come this (besides griping a lot and missing a few swims)?  I have a couple of swim partners that we car pool to the pool and I always drive so they would be standing on the curb if I skipped.  Plus I have also joined the challenges I mentioned yesterday (which is why I went today) so I am accountable to a team to get my workouts in.  Signing up for a race that is beyond current capabilities helped as well.

I doubt I will ever exceed my scheduled swim workouts, but using these tricks have at least gotten me to the minimum required to successfully complete the races I have entered.

Anyone else have any suggestions for Wayne?

2009-01-24 3:15 PM
in reply to: #1926843

User image

Regular
Wayne, I may not the best one to ask since I just had my first swim in 8 MONTHS last Thurs, but I can say what has helped me in the past. If I don't want to swim a long session, I'll tell myself just do 10 minutes. Usually I'll feel better once I start, and do 20 or 30 min. The other thing is that I read on BT somewhere that just more time in the water helps, so sometimes I would just decide to swim for 30 min and not count laps or try to go fast, but just try to be smooth in the water.
2009-01-25 9:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Middleville, MI

Wayne,

Any chance you can do some open water swimming somewhere?  I find it much more interesting then just doing laps in the pool.  Other than that, I find peer pressure to be a good motivator, so maybe we should all start riding you if you don't get out and swim. 

2009-01-25 12:39 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin
I find that having a fellow triathlete as a friend in RL gets me motivated to swim.  Just talking about racing gets me stoked to get in the water.  I have found that the BT workouts are boring, but they do a great job getting the distance in.  I've coached a swim program specifically for triathletes before and my goal was to break people from the habit of lap after lap swimming.  USE SOME EQUIPMENT!!!  Take a kickboard and submerge the bottom 1/3-2/3 (like a tombstone) and then you get to kick against the extra resistance.  Try a PULL BUOY!!!  Try a resistance shute.  Roll over and swim on your back.  I can give you more ideas, but it's okay to break away from front crawl. =)
2009-01-25 2:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston
Hey thanks gang. I'd like to think I'm a fairly positive person but yesterday afternoon was a mental funkstinker! I'm headed to the pool after I finish this. I like your ideas...just go for 10 min to 20 min getting wet. Partners...have to work on that one. Open water works best for me but not available (the lake I swim in) till March 1. Other strokes, my breast stroke is the only alternate and it is much slower than freestyle. Don't own a pull buoy, most folks i know say don't buy one, learn to keep your legs up thru proper body alignment and kick??. Fins (short ones) I have but don't use them much. With the first Tri April 5, time to get wet.

If you think of any other pearls please send them. As you can tell swimming is my toughest challenge, physically and mentally. I have to remember "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast." Now where did I read that?

Edited by wakehr 2009-01-25 2:57 PM
2009-01-25 4:10 PM
in reply to: #1927975

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

wakehr - 2009-01-25 3:55 PM Hey thanks gang. I'd like to think I'm a fairly positive person but yesterday afternoon was a mental funkstinker! I'm headed to the pool after I finish this. I like your ideas...just go for 10 min to 20 min getting wet. Partners...have to work on that one. Open water works best for me but not available (the lake I swim in) till March 1. Other strokes, my breast stroke is the only alternate and it is much slower than freestyle. Don't own a pull buoy, most folks i know say don't buy one, learn to keep your legs up thru proper body alignment and kick??. Fins (short ones) I have but don't use them much. With the first Tri April 5, time to get wet. If you think of any other pearls please send them. As you can tell swimming is my toughest challenge, physically and mentally. I have to remember "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast." Now where did I read that?

Your last point is absolutely true and yet so deceiving.  Last week at masters, our coach had us working on stroke count.  5 X 50 with each 50 having a lower stroke count per 25 yards than the previous 50.  I started at 29 strokes per 25 on the first, and by the 5th I was down to 20.  I felt like I was going to sink, but the funny thing is how much speed I gained.  The next set was 4 X 100 using the lower stroke count.  I was was in the low 1:40's.  Mentally I was very uncomfortable, but I was much faster.

2009-01-25 6:21 PM

User image

Regular
Wayne, I tend to agree with Sara -- sometimes having some gear helps break up the monotony. I just got some Zoomer Z2 fins and that was one reason I finally made it back to the pool (to try them out). I understand the controversy about pull buoys, but I do think they are fun to use for at least a few laps, if just to be able to concentrate on my pull and not worry about kicking. If you do get addicted, we'll just pull together as a group and do an intervention ("Wayne, we’re all here because we love you and we’re worried about you and your pull buoy..."). Hang in there and keep trying and you'll get it going!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 29