BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jonathan22's mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2009-03-05 10:24 PM
in reply to: #1995653

Subject: RE: Jonathan22's mentor group - CLOSED
chris1214 - 2009-03-03 7:45 PM

I am not exactly sure how people taper down for a cycling event.  But I did complete a 175 mile weekend last year (100 mile saturday and 75 mile sunday).  

My man stuff hurts just reading that!! :P

2009-03-06 6:49 AM
in reply to: #2001042

User image

Master
Charlotte
Visionbuilder - 2009-03-05 11:24 PM
chris1214 - 2009-03-03 7:45 PM

I am not exactly sure how people taper down for a cycling event.  But I did complete a 175 mile weekend last year (100 mile saturday and 75 mile sunday).  

My man stuff hurts just reading that!! :P

My junk hurts way more riding a trainer for an hour than a 4 hour outdoor ride! 

2009-03-06 7:16 AM
in reply to: #1879927

User image

Master
Charlotte

rpittser - Good luck on your half marathon tomorrow.  Looks like the weather is going to be fantastic here in Charlotte! 

I will be there with my kiddo cheering on my wife who is also doing the half. 

2009-03-06 7:56 AM
in reply to: #2001249

bgraboski - 2009-03-06 4:49 AM

MMy junk hurts way more riding a trainer for an hour than a 4 hour outdoor ride! 

Dear God, ain't that the truth!!!

2009-03-06 8:00 AM
in reply to: #2001284

Charlotte
bgraboski - 2009-03-05 8:16 AM

rpittser - Good luck on your half marathon tomorrow.  Looks like the weather is going to be fantastic here in Charlotte! 

I will be there with my kiddo cheering on my wife who is also doing the half. 

Hey!  Thanks for remembering.  It's going to be a great day for the race.  I'm looking forward to it!

If I knew my race number I'd tell you and you could watch for me, but I haven't picked up my packet yet.  I will most likely have on a royal blue shirt, black shorts and a white Nike hat (although I'm not sure that narrows it down so much), so yell if you see me!  My first name is Rick.  Good luck to your wife as well.

2009-03-06 8:39 AM
in reply to: #2001352

User image

Master
Charlotte
rpittser - 2009-03-06 9:00 AM  Hey!  Thanks for remembering.  It's going to be a great day for the race.  I'm looking forward to it!

If I knew my race number I'd tell you and you could watch for me, but I haven't picked up my packet yet.  I will most likely have on a royal blue shirt, black shorts and a white Nike hat (although I'm not sure that narrows it down so much), so yell if you see me!  My first name is Rick.  Good luck to your wife as well.

What do you think your finishing time will be?  I will be there for a while as my wife is a 2:35 girl.  I will have a two year old daughter in tow and I will throw on my neon yellow Livestrong hat.  Say hi if you see me (my first name is Brian). 

2009-03-06 8:46 AM
in reply to: #2001450

Charlotte
bgraboski - 2009-03-05 9:39 AM
rpittser - 2009-03-06 9:00 AM  Hey!  Thanks for remembering.  It's going to be a great day for the race.  I'm looking forward to it!

What do you think your finishing time will be?  I will be there for a while as my wife is a 2:35 girl.  I will have a two year old daughter in tow and I will throw on my neon yellow Livestrong hat.  Say hi if you see me (my first name is Brian). 

I'm expecting we'll finish around that same time, maybe 2:20 or so.  I'm coaching a couple of friends through it so we'll all be sticking together in this one.  I'll be with a woman and another man.  I'll watch for your hat.
2009-03-06 9:07 AM
in reply to: #2001472

User image

Master
Charlotte

rpittser - 2009-03-06 9:46 AM 
I'll watch for your hat.

It is the brightest hat on the face of the earth (got it so my wife can see me a mile away when I race)!

2009-03-07 9:22 PM

Well?????? How was the 1/2????
2009-03-08 7:28 AM
in reply to: #1995071

User image

Master
Hacksaw - 2009-03-03 6:30 PM

So I have my first century ride (101 miles) one week from this Saturday. I feel pretty good for the distance. Got to get in one last long, but controlled, ride in this weekend. I feel that I've dialed in a reasonable nutrition plan for the bike to stay cramp- and bonk-free. My only unknown is really a good way to taper for a cycling only endurance event. My initial thoughts are:

- Sat or Sun: ~50-60 miles ride at 16-17 mph pace

- Mon: Go hard one last time at my morning interval spin class morning

- Tue: usual upper body strength routine at usual intensity, increase carbs in diet

- Wed: Go easy at morning 2hr spin class, more carbs

- Thur: go light but high rep at lower body strength routine, carbs + more carbs

- Fri: cross-train light intensity on elliptical, hit a crab high and go to bed extra early

- Sat: Drive down to race (leave by 6:15A, 1 hr trip, 8:30A mass start), have typical OCD moment about what I must have forgotten at home, try to befriend some (or a couple of) groups I can tag onto (101 miles would be mighty lonely solo and not to mention a lot harder pushin' wind)

Any advice, recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Looks like the right taper to me.  I did my first century not too long after my first 60 miler.  Which was not too long after my first 30 miler.  
2009-03-08 8:09 AM
in reply to: #2004255

Charlotte
Visionbuilder - 2009-03-06 10:22 PM Well?????? How was the 1/2????

The half was great.  Temps at the start were right around 50 or so.  Not a clould in the sky. It really couldn't have been much better, especially considering last Saturday it rained all day and was about 35.  We got really lucky this time around.

It was my first time running this course, although I've run most of it in other races at other times.  It started out pretty flat for the first 4 miles, but after that was fairly hilly with a few big ones around miles 5-8.  The race was pretty well organized, 714 runners for the half.  A pretty good sized crowd.

I ran with a group of 3 other people, and we really enjoyed the run.  Our finishing time was right in the 2:20 timeframe for all of us.  A couple in our group were first timers and they were extremely pumped for the race and felt great about the accomplishment.

Bgraboski, like he said would be near the finish with his (truly) neon yellow hat.  Couldn't miss him!  Thanks for the shout out Brian!  The funny part of the story is his wife and I ran within about 100 yards of each other for almost the entire race, without knowing.  We met at the end.  Congrats to her as well.

2009-03-08 9:33 AM
in reply to: #2004558

Nice job!!
2009-03-09 7:05 AM

User image

Master
Charlotte

Had some good...has some bad this weekend.  The weather here in Charlotte was superb (mid-upper 70's all weekend).

Friday I was doing mile intervals but when I got home I drank some Powerbar Recover drink and I almost immediately got sick to my stomach (which in the 2nd time in two weeks this happened).  Promptly threw all drink mixes away. 

Went for a 30 mile ride on Saturday and had a very good ride.  Unfortunately, upon getting in the shower I realized I got a major sunburn.  My arms were toast from being in the areo position and so was the back of my neck.  Ouch.

Sunday morning I ventured out for my 10 mile run.  About 1/2 way through my hamstring started getting tight.  Pushed through it.  Big mistake.  The tightness affected my entire right side post run.  My right hip hurts, my back hurts, and I got a new blood blister to boot.

Oh yeah, on Tuesday I strained my neck lifting and it is still very sore.

Needless to say I am taking today completely off.  Aleve is my friend!   

Hope everyone else's weekend went better.  And congrads to Rich for his half marathon finish!  It was nice to meet a fellow BT'er post race.  I was quite funny my wife ran almost the entire race just behind him. 

2009-03-09 8:34 AM
in reply to: #2005650

Charlotte
bgraboski - 2009-03-08 8:05 AM

Had some good...has some bad this weekend.  The weather here in Charlotte was superb (mid-upper 70's all weekend).

Friday I was doing mile intervals but when I got home I drank some Powerbar Recover drink and I almost immediately got sick to my stomach (which in the 2nd time in two weeks this happened).  Promptly threw all drink mixes away. 

Went for a 30 mile ride on Saturday and had a very good ride.  Unfortunately, upon getting in the shower I realized I got a major sunburn.  My arms were toast from being in the areo position and so was the back of my neck.  Ouch.

Sunday morning I ventured out for my 10 mile run.  About 1/2 way through my hamstring started getting tight.  Pushed through it.  Big mistake.  The tightness affected my entire right side post run.  My right hip hurts, my back hurts, and I got a new blood blister to boot.

Oh yeah, on Tuesday I strained my neck lifting and it is still very sore.

Needless to say I am taking today completely off.  Aleve is my friend!   

Hope everyone else's weekend went better.  And congrads to Rich for his half marathon finish!  It was nice to meet a fellow BT'er post race.  I was quite funny my wife ran almost the entire race just behind him. 

Ouch!  That is a bad weekend/week.  A day of rest sounds like it is in order.  It's hard to pass up those 70 degree days.  I got out for a 17 mile ride Sunday morning.  My legs felt surprisingly good.  I'm thinking the 15 minutes in my pool after the half helped with that.  But before anybody says anything, the water temp was 52 so it was an icebath not a nice comforting soak!

I have a related question, Brian mentioned riding in the aero position.  I'm still not great at that, but when I do it, I have a hard time keeping my head up.  My neck gets very tired and strained.  Any suggestions on how to limber up the neck?  Or could I just be in the wrong position somehow?
2009-03-09 9:05 AM

User image

Master
Sounds like everyone had a nice weekend.  In Atlanta, our weather was awesome.  I ran a 10k on Saturday am.  Didn't PR but came close.  I'm rather blah about the whole thing.  I want to run a fast 10k but really don't want to focus on just that.  I'm  really a triathlete who does road races and to become a fast 10k runner, you need to be a runner.  At least that's what I tell myself.

Regarding being aero, as long as you have been properly fit, it takes time to get use it that position.  You basically are hanging a 10lb bowling ball off your shoulders.  The muscles need time to adjust. 
2009-03-09 8:47 PM

User image

Austin, Tx

I Am Bummed....some bad news.

After our ski trip a month ago, I know I had mentioned (at least in my training log) that my knee had been bothering me when running. I ran the half Mary over President's day weekend anyway. )a week after our trip). The pain slowed my time by at least a minute a mile and gave me pain afterward but I figured it would heal and it was just muscle soreness from the ski trip.

It has still been bothering me each time I run, so I went to an Ortho today and got xrays. I go in for an MRI tomorrow and he thinks I've torn my right lateral meniscus!Cry I had no idea it could be that bad! 

I won't get the results til next Monday. But jeez....this has been such a blow this evening. I had a run race on 3/29 scheduled and my first tri 4/26 and my A race is 5/25. (I still have hope for that one) But the Dr said if it's torn I will need arthro. surgery. Ugh. I have been SOOO excited about my training and my first TRI and I feel like someone just punched me in the gut.

The good news is my Ortho is a triathlete and was pumping me up for the healing (but a potentially less cushioned knee as I head into old age). But I can't get over the bummed-out feelings tonight since I just got the news.

I plan on swimmming ALOT and continuing biking as I can.

Anyone have a bad injury like this happen before or know someone who got over it and if so, how was the healing process? how long etc?

Thanks....

Holly

Edited by HOLKYLE 2009-03-09 8:51 PM

2009-03-10 7:51 AM
in reply to: #2007485

That sucks Holly!!

Here I was getting on the board to whine about my cold..... Nevermind....

Why does it take so long to get someone to read your MRI?? When I had mine done for my shoulder the Doc looked over it an hour later. Kaiser???

2009-03-10 8:01 AM

User image

Master
That does suck.  I'm very sorry to hear that.  I don't have any experience with injuries like that but I do believe that if you can, swimming and biking (no impact) would be good measures to keep fit while the knee heals.  
2009-03-10 8:24 AM

Charlotte
Holly - I feel your pain!  Literally!!  I know exactly what it feels like to train and then not get to do your event.  I was supposed to do the Disney Marathon in Jan '07, but of all things, got bronchitis 3 days before the race and just wasn't healthy enough to do it.  It was a major let down, feeling like I spent a year working for something that I wasn't going to get to do.  To compound matters, a week later I got a stress fracture in my right shin which took me out of the game for 9 months!  It just WOULD NOT heal.  Had the doctor perplexed, and he was even considering putting a rod in my leg until it finally started to get better.  It was so slow healing that I couldn't do any type of exercise and was even in a cast and on crutches for a few months to stay off it.

With luck you won't have that much trouble, but I got into a big funk and didn't run for a whole year.  The silver lining though, is that once I did start, I was able to get back into it and realized that you CAN come back from injuries, even if it is a slow recovery.  Eventually you get over the race(s) you missed and reset your goals to the future again.  If you can't make a race or 2 don't rush it, there are always more races in the future and if you take care and let things heal you'll be able to do them as well or better than before the injury.  I've found I'm much smarter about preventive measures than I was before the injury.

Keep your chin up!

2009-03-11 10:41 PM

Do you train through a cold?? I can barely breath my eyes are constantly watering, and we won't mention my nose!!! What does everyone do?? I had (for me ) a great week last week, and this week I'm unable to get myself out the door.....

Help!!!!

2009-03-12 7:08 AM
in reply to: #2012475

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
The exact thing happen to me a few weeks back.  I was coming off one of by better training weeks and then my germy baby (I like to blame it on her ) got me sick.  I couldn't breath, my eyes were watering and I could hardly do much of anything.  It lasted a week.  I took one day off and then did some ST because it didn't require alot of heavy breathing for long durations.  I also did some light cardio but nothing too intense.  I always hear differing opinions of what to do, but I actually always felt just a little better during and right after my workouts when I'm sick.

2009-03-12 8:05 AM
in reply to: #2012475

Charlotte
Visionbuilder - 2009-03-10 11:41 PM

Do you train through a cold?? I can barely breath my eyes are constantly watering, and we won't mention my nose!!! What does everyone do?? I had (for me ) a great week last week, and this week I'm unable to get myself out the door.....

Help!!!!

I have trained through colds before, unless they are so terrible that it's hard to move.  I read in a magazine a few weeks ago that it's fine to train with a cold, but you shouldn't if you have a fever.  It also said doing some exercise can get blood flowing and actually makes a lot of people feel better.  I tend to agree with that.
2009-03-12 8:25 PM

User image

Austin, Tx

Rpittster, Jonathan and Visionbuilder....

thanks for the words! Yeah, the Dr said it takes 48 hrs to get the MRI results back. But he's out of the office Thur and Fri of this week, so we couldn't go over them today or tomorrow.

That is the worst part, like you said, that you invest so much time, effort and energy in your training only to have it stop the rigor.

This was my big goal this year after having our first child last year and getting back into shape and pushing myself in a new direction physically.  My A race is just a few weeks after her 1st birthday, so I was (and am still hoping for) celebrations of all kinds come May.

I am still swimming and pushing harder at that and biking. (not a lot of hills til I get my diagnosis). There was even a bike race this weekend in town that I was going to do. THe organizers scheduled a run after the main bike race so triathletes could get a brick in. It would have been my first serious brick and a fun one!

Anyhoo......thanks for listening. My head is in a better place now that it's been a couple days. I'm being patient and am glad I have you guys! Thanks

Holly

2009-03-13 9:43 AM

User image

Master
I have friends that ask me why I don't take a day off.  

My answer is that I use sickness and work-related "too busy" days to throttle me back. Lately, about 1 day per week, I've gotten too busy at work to get a workout in.  I use those as rest days.  About a month ago, I got really ill (stomach) and skipped a planned 1/2 marathon.  I used the entire weekend to rest.  

My advice is to use the fact that you have a cold do ease back a bit.  But that means when you are healthy, you need to be hitting those workouts hard.  
2009-03-14 1:07 AM

Valdosta, GA
Subject: Need some new tires..

Been riding a lot on my trainer and I am due for new tires before my first race..  To be honest, just don't know much about which I should choose..

Any help with what I need to look for in a tire.. what to avoid... I guess I am looking for a good mix of FAST but also durable with good traction... ( I don't want a flat nor to bust my a$$)

Heck even better if you guys want to recommend some exact tires!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jonathan22's mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 15