BT Development Mentor Program Archives » WittyCityGirl's Group - FULL =) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2009-05-13 9:18 AM
in reply to: #2072537

User image

Master
Dunedin
Subject: RE: WittyCityGirl's Group - FULL =)
For the troubled breathers:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=594

I am assuming I can't read the entire article because I don't have an upgraded membership. SO, if anyone needs other sources for sinking hips/troubled breathing then I will hit up YouTube for a link.

2009-05-13 10:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Good to have you back Jessica!  Yippee for finishing your thesis! 
2009-05-14 8:01 AM

User image

Expert

Jessica- congrats on the thesis!  Do you have to defend, or is it done?  It sounds interesting to me too- we have of patients in our practice in alternative schools, and it really works well for some. 

2009-05-14 11:31 AM

User image

Upstate NY
Very windy up here today.  Who else hates riding in the wind?  Do you always feel like the wind is going to blow you off the road?  Any tips on making a windy ride less nerve-racking?  Just hold on tight and focus along with practice and time on the bike?
2009-05-14 12:11 PM
in reply to: #2150698

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Agrh!  I hate riding in the wind!  Try being 130lbs and riding in the wind.  I swear a couple weeks ago my entire bike shifted left on me.  Scary!  Unfortunately, I think it just takes more saddle time with the wind. 

RobbyN210 - 2009-05-14 11:31 AM Very windy up here today.  Who else hates riding in the wind?  Do you always feel like the wind is going to blow you off the road?  Any tips on making a windy ride less nerve-racking?  Just hold on tight and focus along with practice and time on the bike?
2009-05-14 5:15 PM

Veteran
Ontario

It headwind there isn't much you can do but tuck down and take it.  It a cross wind, I find the faster I go the more stable I am (thats generally how a bike works).

I live on a peninsula with Lake Huron on one side, and the georgian bay on the other.  I don't remember the last time it was less than 20km/h winds lol

2009-05-14 6:28 PM
in reply to: #2150698

User image

Master
Dunedin
We were dealing with the wind yesterday, too.  My bike shifted right under me-little scary.  I'll see what I can dig up on BT about that.

RobbyN210 - 2009-05-14 12:31 PM Very windy up here today.  Who else hates riding in the wind?  Do you always feel like the wind is going to blow you off the road?  Any tips on making a windy ride less nerve-racking?  Just hold on tight and focus along with practice and time on the bike?
2009-05-14 6:35 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin
  • Get down. Get aero and hone your riding position. When riding into a headwind, watch your computer and notice how small postural changes affect your speed. Get low with your back almost horizontal. Try aligning your head and back, but without keeping your head so low that your back is hunched. In fact, if you try to keep your chin on the stem, it actually increases the turbulence and wind resistance as the air travels over your back.Keep your elbows in to minimize your frontal area instead of splayed outward. Then bend them a little more to see what happens. Hold them in line with your body . A second tip is to eliminate the side to side motion of your head. So keep that head still and your chin 4 to 6 inches above the stem.When you find your most efficient position, it'll give you greater speed with less effort in calm air, too.
  • Gear down. Pushing your normal gear into a wind is hard on your knees (and your motivation). Just as with a hill, drop down a gear or two to allow you to maintain your normal cadence.
  • Don't fight to keep a set speed. Remember, to maintain 18 mph into a 10-mph headwind you need about twice the effort as when riding 18 on a calm day. Gear down and work on a fluid spin. If you are riding in a paceline, rotate more often and in slower motion.
  • Don't wear a loose fitting jacket. A baggy jacket can act like a drogue chute, flapping loudly and slowing you down. An alternative might be a jersey with a wind stopper under it - a piece of wind proof material or even a plastic bag will keep the cold air off your chest.
  • If possible, start rides into the wind. Do battle while you're fresh, then let the gale blow you home.
  • Time your ride. Wind is usually lighter in the early morning or in the evening. If you start your ride a little earlier, the headwind could be relatively tame before you're treated to a roaring tailwind on the return trip.
  • Watch for cross winds., especially on roads with truck traffic. When you're leaning left to maintain a straight line and a passing vehicle momentarily blocks the wind, you might veer into the lane. Fight the tendency by keeping your elbows loose and upper body relaxed.
  • Pedal downhill. Your bike will be more stable on descents if you're applying even a little power to the rear wheel. But especially on a windy day when you're being buffeted on descents, shifting to a high gear and pedaling will give you a noticeable edge in stability. Coasting lets the wind push you farther off your line.
  • Get shelter. Pick a route with trees, buildings, stone walls or other wind blockers.
  • Keep a good mental attitude. Stay positive. Wind, day after day, can beat you down mentally. But head winds actually help improve fitness.
  • 2009-05-14 7:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Sara, nice biking post!

Do you have any recommendations in terms of swim workouts to bridge the distance from a sprint to an olympic distance?

I just signed-up for the NYC triathlon..  So I need to get my butt in gear and amp-up my workouts..   

2009-05-15 9:09 AM

User image

Expert
    Austin, TX
    One last thing on biking in the wind...I hate it too and for some reason this year has been WAY windier than any year I can remember.  I agree with pedaling downhill, but if you don't/can't then make sure your pedals are in the 3 o'clock/9 o'clock position (parallel to the ground).  This way when one of those gusts comes and nearly blows us over you have your feet in the best position to help keep the bike balanced.  The 3/9 position is the position you always want to be in (wind or no wind) if you are going downhill and not pedaling.

Edited by chichitao 2009-05-15 9:10 AM
    2009-05-15 1:22 PM

Veteran
    Ontario

I will echo chichi, the 3/9 position is the best for stability and balance (you learn this quick on rocky trails!), even though it sometimes feels like you want to drop a leg down.

Its a long weekend up here in Canada, and I live in cottage country right now, so I need to find somewhere to hide until the tourists leave.

2009-05-15 1:33 PM

User image

Expert

Hi everyone!  So I finally weaseled my way into the master's group I've been hoping to join (i promised to cause no trouble), and I am totally psyched to improve my swimming.  The problems is that I am so horridly slow.  I look pretty fit, and I could see them thinking "ringer" when I went to the slow lane- that changed when they actually saw me swim.  I think I do about 2:10 for a 100, working kinda hard.  I have never been a fast swimmer, so I'm used to being embarrased in the pool.  Will I really get faster?  I feel like even just swimming will help, and I'll get stroke advice too, but I'm also worried that I'll never be able to swim outside of the slow lane.  Are there people who are just slow?  Or maybe I secrete and compound that doubles the viscosity of the water around me (it's sure what it feels like...)

And is there anything that will help me not look like a seizing sea lion when I do the butterfly???

2009-05-15 3:45 PM
    in reply to: #2153490

User image

Master
    Dunedin
    I love butterfly questions!!  

But first. You WILL get faster.  Since you are in shape, you're probably muscling your way through the water which leads to the 2+min/100 yard swims.  I worked with a friend of mine a couple of years ago and she was in the same boat, but now she can hit a 1:35/100 yard.  It all comes with reducing drag and increasing distance per stroke.  Learning how to rotate so that you swim side to side and not flat is HUGE.  Also, counting your strokes for one length of the pool and then aiming to go under 18 (individual strokes) will help you get faster.

I highly, highly, highly recommend "10 kick-roll drill".  Stretch your body LONG, suck in your belly to your spine, squeeze those glutes, lengthen your legs and kick 10 times COMPLETELY on your right side (left arm rests on top of left leg, press down with your right armpit to get your legs to float better) and look at the bottom of the pool in a "neutral" position (whatever is comfy for you).  BREATHE to the left, put your head back in "neutral" then slide your left hand up your body to your armpit and then slide it into the water in front of you (no SPLASHING! that means you're pushing water down, not the best technique).  Extend that left arm out in front while you roll on to your left side.  While your left hand is entering the water, your right hand should be getting ready to pull/or should be pulling so that as you roll on to your left side your right hand can pull, extend, then rest on your right leg.  That's freestyle!  Don't pull with a LONG arm straight down.  Bend your elbow a little (to get a good idea for your hand position-EVERYONE SHOULD TRY THIS!!!!!-push yourself out of the water instead of using the ladder.  See how your body goes straight up as you push? Same thing with swimmin').

momandmd - 2009-05-15 2:33 PM

Hi everyone!  So I finally weaseled my way into the master's group I've been hoping to join (i promised to cause no trouble), and I am totally psyched to improve my swimming.  The problems is that I am so horridly slow.  I look pretty fit, and I could see them thinking "ringer" when I went to the slow lane- that changed when they actually saw me swim.  I think I do about 2:10 for a 100, working kinda hard.  I have never been a fast swimmer, so I'm used to being embarrased in the pool.  Will I really get faster?  I feel like even just swimming will help, and I'll get stroke advice too, but I'm also worried that I'll never be able to swim outside of the slow lane.  Are there people who are just slow?  Or maybe I secrete and compound that doubles the viscosity of the water around me (it's sure what it feels like...)

And is there anything that will help me not look like a seizing sea lion when I do the butterfly???

2009-05-15 7:24 PM

User image

Expert
    Austin, TX
    I can't provide the details like Sara can, but I can talk about my results since I was in your shoes about 1yr ago.  I started my season last spring and was very happy/comfortable doing a 2:10/100y.  I had no idea how I looked or if anything I was doing was correct swim technique.  I kept reading and TRYING new techniques and little things to improve my swim (amazing the amount of info you can really find online if you try...and for free!). 

By the end of last season I got my pool swim down to around 2:00-2:05 and even did a triathlon swim at 1:46 (I was drafting big time).  This year I tweaked a few more things and have been doing some of the things Sara talked about and I have been consistently under 2:00.  My new 100 PR is 1:34 and I am regularly in the 1:50-1:55 range. 

The reason I mention this is b/c it is real world.  I really thought I had done everything I could last year and would be a 2:05 swimmer the rest of my life.  Just keep working and don't be afraid to try new techniques and drills and that time will come down.  It might not be immediate but the more time you put in the quicker it will come.  And seeing how hard you train at the other events, I don't believe you will have any problems improving on the swim. 

I have also noticed that swimming in the low 2s will still get you (in the races I have done) about middle of the pack.  So you might think it is slow, but you are still better than half the swimmers out there!    Hope this wasn't too long. 

ps - stop secreting that thick oil...it'll just slow you down!
    2009-05-15 9:19 PM

User image

Twin Falls, ID (not from here, I just live here)
    Thanks for the pool talk you guys. My pool just opened, and I'm hoping to start swimming next week. I'm so excited about it, but was starting to get nervous...it seems so daunting, adding another sport to train for now. The suggestions were just right to get me excited about it!
    2009-05-16 8:54 AM

User image

Expert

Thanks so much for the pep talk and suggestions!  It's so helpful to hear that others have been in the same spot and gotten faster.  And I will definately try the drill! I know I have lots of drag (darn hips) and I am definately a sinkie, so I have lots to work on.  I also don't flip turn, which is OK for tri-training (since we don't flip in the lake), but slows me down in the pool. 

2009-05-16 10:55 AM
    in reply to: #2154421

User image

Master
    Dunedin
    Don't forget to keep it fun with toys!!! Fins, paddles, pull buoys, kickboards-those are the standbys.  Get creative!  Use old worn out bathingsuits and wear them on top of your swimsuit...ta da! DRAGSUIT!  This creates just a little resistance to make you work a small bit more.

More ideas to follow...!

jae.miles - 2009-05-15 10:19 PM Thanks for the pool talk you guys. My pool just opened, and I'm hoping to start swimming next week. I'm so excited about it, but was starting to get nervous...it seems so daunting, adding another sport to train for now. The suggestions were just right to get me excited about it!
    2009-05-17 5:42 PM

User image

Master
    Dunedin

Oh no! We fell to the bottom of the page. Time to bump the group back up.

SO????!!!!!!!! How were your races?!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
    2009-05-18 7:09 AM

User image

Upstate NY
    Thanks for all the feedback on biking in the wind.  My biggest problem with the wind was the cross winds you guys were talking about that knock you left and right.  I thought I might have been doing something wrong, so thanks for the info, now I know what I can work on.

My race went really well this weekend and I didn't cut the run course this timeLaughing  This race had a Clydesdale division so I entered that group.  The race went really well, and just coasted through the race, and it felt good.  

I always feel like I am running sooo slow after coming off the bike even though I am not.  Anyone else feel like that? 
    2009-05-18 8:05 AM
    in reply to: #2157121

User image

Expert

Great job on the race!

Totally- do you ever have those dreams when you are trying to run away from something scary, and you feel like your legs just won't move fast enough?  That's what it feels like.  One thing that helps me is to shorten my stride off the bike and increase cadence- it lets my legs loosen up a little more easily, and after about 1/2 mile or so they are looser and I can lengthen a little.  The other thing I do is during the last mile of the bike I increase cadence and decrease (?) the gear (make it easier) so that my legs get used to moving quickly, and aren't as tired off the bike.  Combining the two made a big difference in my last race with how I felt. 

2009-05-18 10:56 AM

User image

Pro
    Bartlett, TN

Memphis in May Triathlon race report is up. I cut 47 minutes off my time last year and hit my goal of a sub 3 hour Olympic. I finished in 2:57.

2009-05-18 11:40 AM
    in reply to: #2153490

User image

Veteran

i can help you with your query - swim in the lane next to me   I'm slow, I stop at almost every lap, and i give the appearance of someone who might just be drowning.  IMO, everyone who swims in the lane next to me appears to be blazing fast Laughing

actually, i will offer up this advice - if swimming is you weakest sport, train in it more than the other two and you will reduce your competition time because you will inevitably improve on a weakness while your strengths will remain at status quo; remember it took you awhile to master them.  my goal is swim 4x, run 3x, bike 2x per week.  my reality is whatever i can fit into the week with an emphasis now on swimming.  good luck!

2009-05-18 11:45 AM
    in reply to: #2157121

User image

Veteran
    good work robby!  i haven't competed in a tri yet so i can't speak to the slow running after biking but i do know that when i switch from treadmill to road running i feel like i am incredibly slow.  in actuality i'm much faster, you probably are tooSmile
    2009-05-18 11:47 AM
    in reply to: #2157918

User image

Veteran
    wow!  great job james!  i'll bet you feel good right about nowLaughing  i bow to you.
    2009-05-18 12:39 PM
    in reply to: #2157225

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Houston, TX
    I agree with Karen...increasing cadence on the bike increases your leg turnover on the run which in turn increases speed.  

I was going to do the same thing during my race as Karen did.  Unfortunately my Garmin ended up being a  little off though.  (I was going to do that during the last 1/2 mile of the bike.

momandmd - 2009-05-18 8:05 AM

Great job on the race!

Totally- do you ever have those dreams when you are trying to run away from something scary, and you feel like your legs just won't move fast enough?  That's what it feels like.  One thing that helps me is to shorten my stride off the bike and increase cadence- it lets my legs loosen up a little more easily, and after about 1/2 mile or so they are looser and I can lengthen a little.  The other thing I do is during the last mile of the bike I increase cadence and decrease (?) the gear (make it easier) so that my legs get used to moving quickly, and aren't as tired off the bike.  Combining the two made a big difference in my last race with how I felt. 

New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » WittyCityGirl's Group - FULL =) Rss Feed  

of 23