BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tamio's Group - CLOSED - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2009-05-18 5:29 PM
in reply to: #2156200

User image

Veteran
Glendale, California
Subject: RE: Tamio's Group - CLOSED - FULL

Wow, a sprint+ with 18 mile HILL bike and trail run -- you're a glutton for punishment for your first tri! Congratulations! I had similar issues during open water swimming -- panic at the impervious brown, then struggling with the multi-sport function on the Garmin. You should feel terrific about your finish -- and hopefully it left you wanting more.

2009-05-18 7:27 PM
in reply to: #2078490

User image

Veteran
Virgin OWS....ah yes, I think everyone has the same experience. Trust me, next time will be better. Remember to retain your inner focus - do whatever it is you do when you swim in the pool. Do you count? Do you sing? DON'T LET YOUR MIND WANDER. Personally, I count. So after my first HORRIFIC OWS, I did some research and got back in the water two days later and it was magic.

Great job to everyone racing - the season has certainly kicked off!

My weekend was great. It was incredibly foggy so they cancelled the swim and we had to run 1.5 miles instead. I'm a bit disappointed as I think I'm a better swimmer than runner. Oh well. One other thing I learned is that I always have "zone 2" engrained in my head for Ironman racing....well - that's not right for Olympic Distance racing. I was in my zone 3, but I should have probably pushed a bit harder and raced in zone 4. Just a brain gap on my part - I know this "stuff" - but I'm "programmed" for z2. Oh well.

It was a great day, foggy, misty, technical course (see my write up if interested). But it was fun. I'm contemplating a duathlon this weekend and in three weeks I have the Mooseman 70.3. Then IMLP is just around the corner on 7/26....yeouch!

Tamio
2009-05-18 8:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland Area
After my weekend 10k, I've talk with a friend who is an avid runner and I've decided to add one more race to my schedule, Columbus half marathon.  With my long term goals to include a half ironman 70.3 next summer I felt no time was better than now to get ready for the run.  A little crazy ... yes, but that's how good I felt after the race!
2009-05-19 12:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Woo hoo!  I may be getting some OWS practice!  We just refi'd our house, and our morgage guy is a very old and close friend.  Well, he happens to live in Rehoboth Beach on the bay.  We're going down next weekend for a visit and to take them out to dinner to thank Chris for helping us with our morgage!  I'll be swimming in the bay in my wetsuit saturday morning!
2009-05-19 1:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Nice! I think I'll be getting in the water this weekend as well...BBBRRRRRR!!!!!
2009-05-19 8:11 PM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
Scout--great job!  Thanks for sharing your learnings.  I will apply some of them for my first tri on June 7th.  I have yet to get the OWS in but I hope to this weekend.  If not, I am in trouble because the weekend before the race I will be on a campout with 2 of my sons!

Good news for me, I bought a new (to me) bike on Sunday night.  It is a 2006 Giant OCR
1.  It shipped today so with any luck I will get it for the weekend.  I think that fedex ground won't get it here quite that quick so I may have to do one more weekend on my mountain bike but I am psyched that the end is near for that!

I have made some pretty good progress in the last couple of months on both the swim and the run.  I feel like my bike will be my limiter in my first race simply because of not enough time in the saddle.  With some warmer mornings coming (soon I hope, we had thick frost this morning!!) hopefully I can get out more often during the week.

Hope everyone is having a good week so far. 

2009-05-19 9:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
gdale - don't sweat the bike - btw, that Giant is a nice ride! - If I can make it out of the water and still be breathing, you can handle the bike.  I've only been swimming for a few months.  I know that you want to kick butt on your first race, just like I wanted to, but in hindsight, the lessons that I learned will be much more valuable than the times that I did.  Now the NEXT race that I do will be all about kicking some tail!  Good luck and train hard!

Scout

Edited by scout21 2009-05-19 9:26 PM
2009-05-21 11:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
How's everyone doing?  I've decided to get a little more formal about my training.  I just printed from RW, a 1/2 marathon plan and am just about through the first week.  I just got back from a 5 mile run with the middle 3 at tempo pace.  I haven't run a structured run in quite a while.  I'm looking for some big gains this summer.  My 5k PR is 25:40.  I'd like to break 23 by November.  If I'm able to do that, I will have taken 7 minutes off my 5k time in about 13 months! 

I've been doing structured swims, now I just need to workout a bike plan.  There's plenty of hills where I am, and I want to introuduce some strenght and speed workouts.  I'll probably just work off the running plan and come up with a 3 or 4 ride a week plan that covers just about all of those areas.

What's everyone else up to?

Matt
2009-05-21 2:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland Area
Scout21:  After my 10k on sunday I did the exact same thing.  I decided to add a half marathon at the end of the season and will begin my 16 week RW plan on monday.
2009-05-21 8:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
I registered for my 1/2 and paid for it about 3 months ago.  Nothing like having the cash already out there for incentive!

Matt
2009-05-21 8:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Glendale, California

I was surprised to re-check my calendar and realize my first sprint is just 2 weeks away. It's helped me motivate through my Tuesday - Thursday workouts. I'm grateful for tomorrow's recovery.  Lifting at lunch and then joining the bike club for a 30 mile evening ride really sapped my leg strength. Looks like the weather will be good for some family camping this weekend and I hope to have a good hill run Sunday. Everyone enjoy the long weekend!

2009-05-23 3:03 PM

User image

Veteran
It's been a couple days - where is everyone?
2009-05-23 4:45 PM
in reply to: #2169844

User image

Master
South Alabama

Rain down here in South Alabama.  Did get an hour of swim in as well as an hour on the bike riding the rollers in the garage.  Best of all a 1.5 hour nap.  Sweet!!!! Light training tomorrow then a practice "mini" triathlon on Monday with 600 yd lake swim, 10 mile bike and 3 mile swim-hope the weather improves by then.  One week to first race.  Everyone have a good weekend and be careful.

Randy

2009-05-23 9:54 PM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
Slugged my way through a late evening run after slugging mulch all day.  The hardest part was deciding to go.  Once I got going, it felt pretty good.  Took it nice and slow. 

New bike came today.  I assembled it this afternoon and will be taking it to a friends house tomorrow for a tune up and it maiden voyage!  Looking forward to getting the ride in.

Plan to do a brick on Monday.
2009-05-25 9:24 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
I got new wetsuit, I got new wetsuit.

New Orca S1 (last years model) from a company in Utah. btw: Tami went out of her way and made me a great offer on some fabulous suits, but I just couldn't afford the extra $$$. If you haven't done so, go check out steadystatesports.com

Got a couple OWS swims in pretty cold water, got a couple decent rides in and one longer run. I do feel like I missed some opportunities to squeeze some more training in, but I can live with what i did.

Got a local duathlon on Sat., but I'm simply treating it as a workout. June 6th is my first Oly race of the season.

Will mount aero package on my bike this afternoon and go for a test ride tonight.

The price of Freedom is not free-our veterans and active duty servicemen and women have born the cost. Remember them today!
Hope everyone has/had a great Holiday Weekend.
jeff
2009-05-25 9:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland Area

2 weeks and counting to first ever tri, can't wait.

Looked at a new wetsuit yesterday, have a used one for now, but looking at an orca s2 sleeveless.

Got in a good run on sunday, 4.3 @ 10:15, mile splits keep going downLaughing

Got in nice bike this morning, 10.2 @ 18.2 mph.

All seems to be coming together nicely.

2009-05-25 10:54 AM

User image

Veteran
It's been a great weekend in upstate NY! Weather has been nothing short of spectacular.

Got in my first OWS yesterday....56 degrees.....bbrrrrrr. But felt SO good to get outside.

Two weeks to Mooseman!
2009-05-25 11:41 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Did a mini tri this morning with a group.  600 in small lake, 10 mile bike and 3 mile run.  This was my first OWS and it was as bad as everyone says.  I have only been working on swimming for last 10-12 weeks.  Masters class 2-3 times a week loggin 6000-7000 yards most weeks.  Can swim 1200 in pool with relative ease at around 1:54-1:57/100 and feel pretty comfortable in the pool on long swims..  I was not nervous at all about the swim today as I thought I would be the exception to the horror stories I hear.  But, once the swim started I could never get any sort of rhythm or reach any level of comfort in the water.  The fact that I could not see like in the pool did not really bother me it was more of a problem with my heart rate immediately going through the roof and feeling like I needed to breathe constantly.  I backstroked, breathstroked, sidestroked, ugly stroked and gradually made my way to the end.  Eventually, I found a very small level of comfort by swimming 8-10 strokes freestyle then 1-2 breathstroke to sight then repeat.  I think that will be my plan for my first race this Saturday.  Now plan to focus this week on getting out to the sight of the swim this weekend for 1-2 OWS.  In looking back the inability to warm up in the lake due to weather was at least one factor.  First few laps at the pool always seem tough and feel out of breath but after warming up I usually seem to find a comfortable rhythm/pace.  Certainly, not the sole reason for todays struggle but will need to prepare better in the future for this type of situation.  Maybe do some pool sessions where I immediatley swim 600+ to practice relaxing from the beginning.

Bike and run went fine. Felt good and maintained a good pace for both on hilly course.  The word I keep hearing over and over in my head now is DUATHLON.    

2009-05-25 1:05 PM
in reply to: #2171757

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
slornow - 2009-05-25 11:41 AM

Bike and run went fine. Felt good and maintained a good pace for both on hilly course.  The word I keep hearing over and over in my head now is DUATHLON.    

Tell that voice in your head to get lost!  All you need is practice in OW.  I've been going over my first tri swim over and over again in my head, and I came up with a swimming mantra today while I was at the Y in the pool.  "Head down, slow down".  The head down part is self explanatory.  The slow down part is that when in the lake at my tri a few weeks ago (first ever ows, first ever wetsuit swim) my adrenaline got the best of me and I started out WAY too fast.  EXACTLY the same way that I did on the first 5K that I ever ran.  I need to swim with a very slow arm turnover.  That's the slow down part.  I've actually timed myself in the pool, and when my stroke count is in the 17 - 18 range, I'm just as fast as when my stroke count is in the 23-24 range, but I'm not out of breath like I am with a faster arm turnover.  Therefore, I was in the water today and for nearly the whole time "head down slow down".  I finished 3200 yards and felt great.  Now I just need to remember that during the swim on my next race in June!

BTW, I'll be visiting friends in Rehoboth Beach next weekend, and I'm taking my wetsuit so that I can get in a swim or two in the bay.  That may be my only OWS practice before my next race.

Matt
2009-05-25 1:33 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
I'm not one to 'warm up', per se, before exercising..BUT..swimming is an exception. My first OWS was horribel. Second OWS-same lake, two weeks later, went great. I warmed up on land to burn off some pre-race jitters, got into the water early and swam 200-300 yrds. beforehand. You never forget your first.....
2009-05-25 6:22 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Thanks for the support.  A good nap and some recovery ice cream brightened the picture.  Still enjoyed the practice and looking forward to the race this Saturday. Would encourage everyone to get plenty of OWS practice in before first event. Will try to get in the water 2-3 times before Sat.  Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Randy

2009-05-25 8:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

Hey all!  I know most of you had your first race last weekend....I hope it went well. Tami- nice job on getting in the 56 degree water. I did well at my duathlon, but came right back to the city and went to the office.

I've been working a lot of hours lately and training has fallen off (good thing I did not sign up for that IM).  My diet has been crap.  I have not swum in 2 weeks...I hope all that I learned in the swim class is not shot to H*ll.  I do have a cycling class starting on Wednesday===2 reasons (1) it's paid for so I have to leave the office (2) it will force me to get in a "hard, focused" ride during the week...it is on computrainers. Oh--and I have not done yoga in 2 weeks.

I feel like I am drowning at work.  My body is exhausted. I just want to be in the sun at the next triathlon waiting for the gun to go off.   So glad it is a sprint...I want to go hard.

Ok- sorry I have been MIA on the boards. I would read the thread and chime in....but I think I need a bubble bath and early to bed.  (Crap, I still have to pay my bills!)  Ok..maybe next weekend I can get an update from you'all....till then, think of my motto that I just remembered tonight:

If it ain't hard, it probably ain't worth much. Whoops...edit...here it is: If it was easy, it wouldn't be worth it......

Edited by LB22 2009-05-25 8:13 PM
2009-05-25 9:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
It is my turn to play catch up.

congrats to everyone for their trimphs lately. I still have not tried any open water swims for this year. And My new wetsuit is still in its plastic. Hopefully it will see the light of day soon.

I have some friends doing a triathlon this weekend where I am going to go and cheer them on. I orginally thought I had something planned for that weekend but had my dates messed up, so I didn't schedule this race into my schedule. I might go and do a run while my friends are racing.

So this past saturday I was orginally planning on going for a group ride but the coach scheduled it for too early in the morning so I ended up going on my own. I have this to say about the ride. I have a fear of going up big steep hills and being clipped in. The only hills I have atempted since I got clips last year were very doable. On this ride I made a wrong turn and I realized that to get home I had to go up this hill that makes my car work hard going up it- never mind cycling it. I wasn't turning around and adding an exta 20 minutes so I did the hill. Short version I made it up the hill. I attempted to unclip about half way through but nixed that when I realized I couldn't stop pedaling. And about half way up I was hyperventialting. But I pushed through everything and I made it. which I was really happy about.

Edited by mellymedic 2009-05-25 9:47 PM
2009-05-25 9:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA

Randy - Ice cream has magical healing powers!  I truely believe that!  It always makes everything better!  Especially chocolate with a giant spoonful of peanut butter mixed in!

Melly - great job on the hill!  Just think about how much easier it will be next time!

Lynn -  Take your bubble bath and get some rest.  And check out Randy's post....have some ice cream too!  Then get yourself out the door and run - or bike - or swim - or just walk really fast around the block - or down to the corner or back!  I've had weeks like that, and have felt the same way.  But I ALWAYS feel better after a good hard sweat!

Have a GREAT week everyone!

Matt

2009-05-26 7:40 AM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
I will echo Tami's comments about the upstate NY weather this weekend--Spectacular!  Didn't get quite as much training in as I would have liked but I will take what I can get when I can get it!

Saturday was a late 5 mile run at a nice easy pace.  Almost didn't get it in but decided around 8:30 after going to a kids b-day party that I needed it.  Chalked it up more to mental training than anything else.  Most of the day time I was spreading mulch so that got me a little upper body work out--30+ bags of mulch, ouch!  New bike also arrived on Saturday so I got it put together but didn't get out on it.

Sunday was basically a wash but I did get the new bike all tuned up and out for a short test ride.  Also installed some clip on areo bars.  Bike felt great--what a difference from the mountain bike!!

Yesterday was the best day workout wise.  Did a 25 mile ride at a pretty good pace followed by a brick run of about 2.75 miles at a 7:05 pace.  Was psyched with that run pace after the longish ride.

First race is less than two weeks away.  Need to do an OWS with the wetsuit since I haven't done one yet but time is getting short so I am not sure I will get it in.  Might be rough--since I won't be learning from all the above posts about practicing before the first race!

Have a great short week everyone!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tamio's Group - CLOSED - FULL Rss Feed  

of 16