BT Development Mentor Program Archives » bschulte mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2009-07-02 3:34 PM
in reply to: #2078550

User image

Expert
Northern CA
Subject: RE: bschulte mentor Group - Closed
Hey, it's been a bit quiet in here lately. What kind of races are people doing?

My next one is July 19th and it's at altitude. Gulp. We're turning it into a family vacation so I'll be out there 5 days before the race and should have time to get used to it. But the bike involves a 1600' climb from the lake into the mountains and I'm a bit intimidated by that. I'm going to do a bit hill climbing bike ride on Sunday as a final push before the race and then just normal workouts for the week before.

Any tips for what I should do the 5 days before the race to get used to the altitude and get ready?

2009-07-02 7:34 PM

Regular
Soutwest Florida
Wish I had a race to talk about but going on vacation for the month. I know bad planning for trng cycle but committed last year to this trip. A whole month in the Bahamas I will be able to run and swim but hope I dont forget how to ride my bike. I also dont want to lose all the progress I made so far. I get back and start trng for HIM in Nov (Miami man half). I have a few short races in between but that is my A race for the year. I plan on signing up for the full next year. Any races to think about before the (Full Ironmans) one in Nov. I was hoping to actually get one done while it is cool here dont have a lot of time to pick from. I guess I should think about one race year at a time. Looking forward to my HIM and doing another Marathon to get under the belt.  I do a big question how much time down should I take after HIM. I want to do my Marathon in Jan but that only gives me 8 weeks to train for that after my A race.
2009-07-03 12:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
First tri of the season is in 24 days - Nautica NYC Oly - it will be the 3rd year doing this race - hoping the jellyfish stay home this year. I just signed up for my 2nd HIM in September to help boost my confidence for IMFL in November (first one!) - finally started to really train - late season races are so hard because of all the waiting in the spring!
2009-07-04 8:44 AM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

I have a HIM coming up in 2 weeks, it will be my first - Spirit of Racine in Wisconsin.  This is a Lake Michigan swim so will probably be in low 60s water temp but overall a pretty good course that gets good reviews.

I am excited and hope to go sub 5 hours at this race.  I have not been able to swim for a 1.5 weeks becuase of the road rash on my shoulder which won't let me fully rotate my arm but I am thinking I will give it a go tomorrow and get an OWS in.  My bike and run are coming along pretty good.

I have had 2 Olympics to date and done pretty well in both and excited to see how I do at the HIM distance.  The season is flying by it seems like.

Ryan

2009-07-04 11:22 AM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Question for my HIM: I am planning to have 1 bottle of concentrated Infinit (approx. 550-600 calories) in the cage and then a separate aero drink with water.  I am planning to get a an additional water bottle at about the halfway point but am concerned about getting the top off the bottle and getting it into my aero drink without having to stop and/or mess with it for 30 seconds before getting it to work.  Is this easy to do on the fly or should I just leave the top on and squirt it into the aero bottle.  Anybody have experience on this?

Ryan

Edited by rymac 2009-07-04 11:24 AM
2009-07-05 1:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver
When I did my HIM earlier in June, I was able to just squirt the water from the bottle that I grabbed straight into the aero bottle without much hassle.  Most of the events use the bottles with a sport top on them, so they're easy to squeeze...just turn upside down and empty it out. 

2009-07-09 11:28 AM
in reply to: #2261476

User image

Alpharetta, GA
rymac - 2009-07-04 12:22 PM

Question for my HIM: I am planning to have 1 bottle of concentrated Infinit (approx. 550-600 calories) in the cage and then a separate aero drink with water.  I am planning to get a an additional water bottle at about the halfway point but am concerned about getting the top off the bottle and getting it into my aero drink without having to stop and/or mess with it for 30 seconds before getting it to work.  Is this easy to do on the fly or should I just leave the top on and squirt it into the aero bottle.  Anybody have experience on this?

Ryan

More than likely the water bottle will have a sport top so you will just need to twist the top with your mouth / teeth and sqirt into your aero bottle.  Keep in mind you will need to sqirt it in before the "last trash drop area" to avoid a potential littering penalty.  Generally this isn't an issue, just sqeeze hard.  Generally takes about 5 seconds.
2009-07-10 11:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver
Boulder Peak Tri this weekend.....should be fun.  Considering that my first was a HIM, I am not nearly as nervous for this one, plus the family gets to watch this time since it's only 40 minutes from the house.  I am just going to apply what I learned from the Rev3 and try to better my time in the water and on the run.
2009-07-12 12:48 AM

User image

Expert
Northern CA
Good luck!
2009-07-12 7:13 AM
in reply to: #2277609

User image

Alpharetta, GA
baldbuyer - 2009-07-11 12:23 AM Boulder Peak Tri this weekend.....should be fun.  Considering that my first was a HIM, I am not nearly as nervous for this one, plus the family gets to watch this time since it's only 40 minutes from the house.  I am just going to apply what I learned from the Rev3 and try to better my time in the water and on the run.

Good Luck!
2009-07-12 5:26 PM

User image

Expert
Northern CA
Okay, I had my first incident of gastro-intestinal distress on a long run today. Luckily, I was able to make it to the one porta-potty on my route (though it was touch and go there for a while). The really unpleasant part is that I couldn't make it stop when I got home.

So what causes this and how do I prevent it and also what do I do when I get it?

I didn't have breakfast before my run because I didn't have time so I downed a gel. I've done that before with no problem. It was a new gel I've been trying out so that might have been it. I could tell something was up pretty early into the run too so I ended up backing off my sports drink for a while hoping things would resolve. But they didn't. Don't know if that made things worse or better. 

2009-07-14 10:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver
Well, I finished the Boulder Peak tri this weekend, and while I wasn't fast by any stretch of the imagination, I can say that I didn't have any issues related to bad nutrition/hydration planning and execution.  I was happy with most of my bike ride, but my swim was slow and had some minor cramping issues on the run (hamstring actually started cramping during the swim, but didn't bother me on the bike).  Overall, I was happy I finished, but needed to do additional training on the swim to keep a better level of fitness during that piece of the race.

My next stop is the Rattlesnake tri(Oly distance) on August 15th, which is only about 10 minutes from my house and I am well aware of terrain that makes up the course, so I will be out there every weekend between now and the event getting ready.  This one is definitely going to be about seeing what time I can finish in.  The first two tri's this year were all about just finishing and now that I have a sort of baseline for an Oly, I am going to be trying to beat that time.
2009-07-17 10:49 AM
in reply to: #2279549

User image

Alpharetta, GA
MacMadame - 2009-07-12 6:26 PM Okay, I had my first incident of gastro-intestinal distress on a long run today. Luckily, I was able to make it to the one porta-potty on my route (though it was touch and go there for a while). The really unpleasant part is that I couldn't make it stop when I got home.

So what causes this and how do I prevent it and also what do I do when I get it?

I didn't have breakfast before my run because I didn't have time so I downed a gel. I've done that before with no problem. It was a new gel I've been trying out so that might have been it. I could tell something was up pretty early into the run too so I ended up backing off my sports drink for a while hoping things would resolve. But they didn't. Don't know if that made things worse or better. 

What causes this is a bit of a mystery, everyone is different.  For me one of the triggers is heat.  When I really crank it up on a run in the heat it can lead to issues.  I think gross body temp is the big culprit there.  Things to think about would be what you have eaten over the past 36 hrs.  For me any type of pork (takes longer than 36 hrs to digest pork) can be an issue.  Sometimes your body just doesn't agree with a workout and until you see a pattern you won't be able to determine a cause. 
2009-07-17 10:50 AM
in reply to: #2285912

User image

Alpharetta, GA
baldbuyer - 2009-07-14 11:32 PM Well, I finished the Boulder Peak tri this weekend, and while I wasn't fast by any stretch of the imagination, I can say that I didn't have any issues related to bad nutrition/hydration planning and execution.  I was happy with most of my bike ride, but my swim was slow and had some minor cramping issues on the run (hamstring actually started cramping during the swim, but didn't bother me on the bike).  Overall, I was happy I finished, but needed to do additional training on the swim to keep a better level of fitness during that piece of the race.

My next stop is the Rattlesnake tri(Oly distance) on August 15th, which is only about 10 minutes from my house and I am well aware of terrain that makes up the course, so I will be out there every weekend between now and the event getting ready.  This one is definitely going to be about seeing what time I can finish in.  The first two tri's this year were all about just finishing and now that I have a sort of baseline for an Oly, I am going to be trying to beat that time.

Congrats on getting another one in the books!
2009-07-21 11:42 AM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Well I got through my first Half Ironman and it went really well - 4:36:33 good!!  The swim was like 0.2 miles short and we had a current - I came in 9:00 ahead of where I wanted to in the swim which set me up for a great rest of the day.

This was so much different than racing Olympic distance where it is balls to the wall the whole time.  I felt comfortable and relaxed the entire race really.  I did not expect a time like that but the bike was flat and fast with no wind and the run had only two little short steep hills. 

Now I am trying to figure out what the heck to do with the rest of the season.  I am planning on doing an Olympic with a friend in August and then possibly another mid-september half iron - think I am going to rest this week and think about it and see how I feel.  Think I will enjoy this one for a little while.

Ryan

2009-07-22 6:51 PM
in reply to: #2298868

User image

Alpharetta, GA
rymac - 2009-07-21 12:42 PM

Well I got through my first Half Ironman and it went really well - 4:36:33 good!!  The swim was like 0.2 miles short and we had a current - I came in 9:00 ahead of where I wanted to in the swim which set me up for a great rest of the day.

This was so much different than racing Olympic distance where it is balls to the wall the whole time.  I felt comfortable and relaxed the entire race really.  I did not expect a time like that but the bike was flat and fast with no wind and the run had only two little short steep hills. 

Now I am trying to figure out what the heck to do with the rest of the season.  I am planning on doing an Olympic with a friend in August and then possibly another mid-september half iron - think I am going to rest this week and think about it and see how I feel.  Think I will enjoy this one for a little while.

Ryan

Wow!  Congratulations on an incredible time.  All the training really paid off.  Rest a little and then get back on it.  With the shape you are in, reap the rewards and race, race, race.

2009-07-24 9:25 AM
in reply to: #2302595

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

bschulte - 2009-07-22 7:51 PM

Ryan

Wow!  Congratulations on an incredible time.  All the training really paid off.  Rest a little and then get back on it.  With the shape you are in, reap the rewards and race, race, race.

Brent - What has been your experience on getting back into the training mix after an A race?  I took a couple days off after my race but did not feel terribly sore or hurting too bad after but I also do not want to rush back in and burn out by the end of the season causing a bad race in September.  Do you think just (1) week of really light effort training before jumping back in is a good idea?? or slowly progress back in over say 2 weeks.  I am sure there is no "right" answer and is individual to each person but just wanted to get your thoughts.

Ryan

2009-07-24 9:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
First race of the season on Sunday NYC Nautica  Oly. Weather is looking questionable - guess we'll see. Using it more as a training race this year since I still have an HIM and IM coming down the pike. Feel very undertrained compared to last year at this time - probably due to the late start for the Nov. IM.  Anyway should be interesting, year 1 was a flat tire, year two was jelly fish in the face and 90 degrees/ 90% humidity - hoping for 3rd times a charm!
2009-07-25 10:33 PM

User image

Expert
Northern CA
Sounds like this one is often an eventful race for you.

I did my first (metric) Century ride today. Man, am I beat. I went with a cycling club and it was very different from riding with my tri club ... more social and lots of food stops! 
2009-07-26 7:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
Well, other than a few early morning showers at transition, fairly uneventful race. Really concentrated on my HR, fatigue level, stroke/sighting technique and pacing - learned alot about myself and know what things I need to work on coming up in the next few months. never really looked at or cared about my time, just focused on me which was kind of cool. Finished 3:11:39 - 6 minutes shaved off last year - not bad for not really racing and being so early in my training season. (I know not quite as impressive as most of the mentor group - but for me not bad). Off to do my RR now!
2009-07-27 1:12 PM
in reply to: #2309055

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

mburkhart - 2009-07-26 8:53 PM Well, other than a few early morning showers at transition, fairly uneventful race. Really concentrated on my HR, fatigue level, stroke/sighting technique and pacing - learned alot about myself and know what things I need to work on coming up in the next few months. never really looked at or cared about my time, just focused on me which was kind of cool. Finished 3:11:39 - 6 minutes shaved off last year - not bad for not really racing and being so early in my training season. (I know not quite as impressive as most of the mentor group - but for me not bad). Off to do my RR now!

nice improvement from last year!  So how is it training in NYC?  Is it hard to find a place to ride without having to stop all the time or do you do most workouts on the trainer?  I am sure swimming and running would not be a problem - just curious.

Ryan

2009-07-27 1:23 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

I am about 90% sure that I am going to pull the trigger on IM Wisconsin 2010.  I am going to pray that registration makes it online and be ready when it opens.  I guess Lake Placid was open this afternoon - not sure if it still is or not.

Anybody else planning a 2010 Ironman?

2009-07-27 9:41 PM
in reply to: #2305558

User image

Alpharetta, GA
rymac - 2009-07-24 10:25 AM

bschulte - 2009-07-22 7:51 PM

Ryan

Brent - What has been your experience on getting back into the training mix after an A race?  I took a couple days off after my race but did not feel terribly sore or hurting too bad after but I also do not want to rush back in and burn out by the end of the season causing a bad race in September.  Do you think just (1) week of really light effort training before jumping back in is a good idea?? or slowly progress back in over say 2 weeks.  I am sure there is no "right" answer and is individual to each person but just wanted to get your thoughts.

Ryan

I thought I responded to this (I know I typed it), but see it didn't post.  Just listen to your body.  As a guess, 1 week of light training should do it for a half.  For a full is is about 3 weeks or longer for me, but really no recovery for a half (I usually train the next day).  But keep in mind I am training for IM. 
2009-07-27 9:43 PM
in reply to: #2309055

User image

Alpharetta, GA
mburkhart - 2009-07-26 8:53 PM Well, other than a few early morning showers at transition, fairly uneventful race. Really concentrated on my HR, fatigue level, stroke/sighting technique and pacing - learned alot about myself and know what things I need to work on coming up in the next few months. never really looked at or cared about my time, just focused on me which was kind of cool. Finished 3:11:39 - 6 minutes shaved off last year - not bad for not really racing and being so early in my training season. (I know not quite as impressive as most of the mentor group - but for me not bad). Off to do my RR now!

Congratualation on your 6 min PR!   Isn't it amazing how just listening to your body during a race can yeild great results.  Best of luck with as your volume builds for IMFL.  I start my "official" build Aug. 3....(translation I start to get very familiar with my bike seat again on Aug. 3   ).

Edited by bschulte 2009-07-27 9:44 PM
2009-07-27 9:52 PM
in reply to: #2310501

User image

Alpharetta, GA
rymac - 2009-07-27 2:23 PM

I am about 90% sure that I am going to pull the trigger on IM Wisconsin 2010.  I am going to pray that registration makes it online and be ready when it opens.  I guess Lake Placid was open this afternoon - not sure if it still is or not.

Anybody else planning a 2010 Ironman?

Ahhh the lure of the Ironman   If you can swing the short trip to WI try to go for registration (if you volunteer during the race you get priority during registration, meaning they let all volunteers register the next morning first).  IMWI rarely makes it online, meaning registration fills on site.  Best of luck.  Sending a PM to you.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » bschulte mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 14