BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bill's House of Pain-No Vacancy Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2009-04-30 9:22 PM
in reply to: #2122193

User image

Great Lakes Illinois
Subject: RE: Bill's House of Pain-No Vacancy

The only thing I didn't agree with through out your plan was basing your daily caloric intake off of the person you want to be, not the person you are. Generally when we do our nutrition classes for the "heavy" individuals at my command, we stress this to them. You adjust for what you body needs now, and you readjust lower as you go. 19lbs is alot to drop in 1 month.
   The easy math on weight loss is 1lb of fat = aprox 3500 calories. There are 7 days in the week so if we remove 250 calories from our daily intake, and then exercise for another 250 calories daily, and we do this 7 days a week, we will lose 1lb. It gets more complex when you factor in what the diet consists of: carbs/protiens/fat ratio.

If you keep your diet based off of what your body needs, and keep training, you will get your weightloss like you had planned. Not sure if you are training with a Heart Rate Monitor or not, but if you are then you can really shred the pounds off by doing endurance in zone 2. If it makes you feel better, I am also an overeater, and I am also a fast eater so I get the worst of both words. I recently went to the 5 smaller meals a day diet and I have been pretty faithful with this so far.

2009-04-30 10:02 PM
in reply to: #2122193

User image

Elite
Texas
Iron_Gus - 2009-04-30 6:30 PM

Starting out my goal was weight-loss but I became more focussed on completing my first Olympic distance Tri and my focus changed to training in the three disciplines, with weight-loss being a by product of this. This has helped me as I am now not obsessing on the weight-loss aspect alone.

My strategy, in terms of weight-loss, is to limit my calorie intake to that of a perfectly healthy person of my goal weight. My theory being if I restrict myself to a very low calorie diet I would i) be obsessing over counting calories ii) not have the energy required to train properly and iii) suffer with hunger pangs constantly, and probably give up (I know this from experience)

This time around I tackled the challenge from a different angle. I decided that to be fit and healthy I would act like a normal fit & healthy person; that is, eat, sleep & train like they would with the result being taht I would eventually become that weight (slower but surer). First thing was to determine what a normal person - of my goal weight - would need to consume, both in terms of calories, and specifically in terms of Carbs / Protein / Fat ratios. After some research I determined that I would need to limit myself to around 2200 Calories a day being approx made up of 50% Carbs, 25% Fat & 25% Protein. This gave me a base to work with and I have (largely) been sticking to this regime.I have been monitoring my caloric intake by recording it daily and tracking (with some software) so that I can see at a glance where I am at on a daily and weekly basis. This has helped me learn what foods to enjoy and what foods to limit.I started this one month ago and in that time I have managed to drop 19lbs of weight. So by-and-large this routine has worked for me. Recently however, I have been getting more hungry and more fatigued in my exercise. Because I still have a lot of weight to lose I am (always) mindful of reverting back to old habits and over-eating. So when I hear that I need to up my calorie intake my initial reaction is nervous scepticism.I guess I do need to listen to my body and trust in nature and my own ability to achieve my goals and that I am capable of controlling myself however, to a previous over-eater this is dangerous ground.Sorry for the long post but I need you guys to know some history and where my mind is at.

It makes sense, what you are saying. That skepticism is fed by the fact that the whole idea of needing to eat more while you are losing weight is conuterintuative. But you have to fuel that engine if you want it to go. 19 pounds in a month is a lot. If you're hungry, eat more. But don't feel like you've failed if you only lose 5 or 10 pounds in the next month.

This is a long haul Gus. You've undertaken a task that is difficult for a number of reasons. Your weight loss efforts are tantamount to shooting a moving target. You make some progress, you have to adjust. You don't make progress you have to adjust. Win or lose it's a very dynamic process. Backsliding is easy because when you backslide you get to eat stuff you've been denying yourself... but then you feel guilty after the fact and it's hard to be motivated when you feel bad, and then you eat something to feel better, and boom. Right back at the bottom of the mountain. You have a great start this month and the focused training will help tremendously.

Some keys to (continued) success for you:

1) Take it one day at a time. Don't even think about the big picture in the morning. Just think about what you have to do that day. Allow yourself to think about the big picture after you've accomplished that days training goals.

2) Follow your training plan carefully, and pay close attention to any signs of injury. A training injury is the quick ticket to getting off course.

3) Eat dynamically. Eat to support our training and create the calorie deficit through work, not food restriction. You MUST fuel the engine. Eat a little less on rest days, and a little less each day during a recovery or taper week.

4) You have an excellent outlook on the whole "think/eat/train like a healthy person" idea. Remember though, as athletes we fuel the engine. We don't try to make it run on less than it needs an expect it to perform. THAT's truly counterintuative, but in our minds when we are trying to lose weight that's how we think. Don't think like a guy who's trying to lose weight. Think like a guy who's trying to power the engine. Feed the machine Gus.

You're doing great. Stay the course.

2009-04-30 10:11 PM
in reply to: #2079373

User image

Master
Hamilton, Victoria

Thanks for your input. Based on this philosophy I should be increasing my intake by about 700 Calories per day. I burn 500+ calories per day in exercise fairly easily / consistantly - and yes, I do use a HR monitor.

Intersting thing is that I hadn't really noticed the fatigue until this week, so I assumed that the calories-in vs calories-out was working pretty well. It has been pointed out to me that I am not resting sufficiently so I put my feeling of fatigue down to that almost exclusively. As I said before, as someone with a pre-disposition to over-eat I am always mindful of increasing my consumption for fear of it escalating out of control.
That said I can see the merit in eating for who I am now and adjusting each month as the pounds come off. I will give this some very serious thought.

Thanks for taking to time to respond, I appreciate it.

2009-04-30 10:16 PM
in reply to: #2122697

User image

Elite
Texas
Iron_Gus - 2009-04-30 10:11 PM

Thanks for your input. Based on this philosophy I should be increasing my intake by about 700 Calories per day. I burn 500+ calories per day in exercise fairly easily / consistantly - and yes, I do use a HR monitor.

Intersting thing is that I hadn't really noticed the fatigue until this week, so I assumed that the calories-in vs calories-out was working pretty well. It has been pointed out to me that I am not resting sufficiently so I put my feeling of fatigue down to that almost exclusively. As I said before, as someone with a pre-disposition to over-eat I am always mindful of increasing my consumption for fear of it escalating out of control.
That said I can see the merit in eating for who I am now and adjusting each month as the pounds come off. I will give this some very serious thought.

Thanks for taking to time to respond, I appreciate it.

Remember to take a true rest week. I'm on a rest week now and it's driving me nuts. The first training day of my next phase of training is Tuesday, and I'm dying to get there because it's a new workout for me. But I'm forcing the rest until then. I know I have to do it.

Just remember: dynamic process. It's not easy. But it's worth it.
2009-04-30 10:51 PM

User image

Master
Hamilton, Victoria

Given that we are staring a new month it would be an opportune time to test this philosophy. I will increase my calorie intake by 500 Calories per day. This is will get me closer to the target required for someone my build to 'fuel the engine'. I will focus on output to ensure weight-loss and, obviously, improve my fitness and strength.

This will be an interesting month for me and I expect that I will need some reassurance / support for the duration. I will endeavour to objectively assess my body's performance and determine if my strength improves. I do not expect to record another month of 19lbs loss but one of my goals is still to lose so 8-10lbs would be great!

Thansk for the input guys...

2009-05-01 9:09 AM

User image

Elite
Texas
How did everyone do meeting their training goals for April? I came up a little short of my planned volume, but only a small part of that was S/B/R. I missed a few strength workouts and some stretching sessions. Those are the first to go when life gets in the way. I was in bed sick one weekend and that cost me a few hours of bike and run. Overall I'm happy with it. This was the first 4 week base training phase of my train up.

April's totals:
Bike:17h 51m 28s  - 329.91 Mi
Run:3h 33m 36s  - 26.59 Mi
Swim:4h 55m  - 10950 Yd
Strength:8h 40m
Stretching:3h 15m

2009-05-01 9:57 AM
in reply to: #2123300

User image

Great Lakes Illinois
I came up quite short on mine, missing a whole week of exercise hurt my volumes. Granted I did just start on May 4th. As for strength training, I haven't done any of that at all. With the amount of exercise I am doing, the only way I could sell this program to my wife was to spend as much time with the family as possible. Working on getting a home gym at the moment so I can do strength training at home.
The weight loss is coming along nicely, I have already dropped 4lbs. Looking to get a bit more out of next month, mostly because it should be easier to stick to my diet.

Bike:   15h 02m 17s  - 242.69 Mi

Run:    4h 22m 28s  - 23.46 Mi 
Swim:  7h 50m 31s  - 20559.93 Yd 
Plyometrics: 45m 
Current Weight: 196
Resting Heart Rate: 68
2009-05-01 1:28 PM

New user
Gautier, MS
Tri Shorts...

So I am about to buy the first pair or two, and just like anything else in this sport there are too many options to know what to choose.  Is there anything in particular I need to know?  A favorite brand or anything?  I seem to like the Zoot or De Soto best from what I can tell by looking online.  I don't have anywhere local to actually try some on.
2009-05-01 1:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
Off topic:
So i swam today my 400 / 400 for times.  It was at the newly opened for summer 50m long lanes.

my first 400m was 7:31, my second 8:55.

Which I thought something was really wrong with me, because i'd hit 6:18 at the other 25y long lanes for 400.  But it was YARDS at the other pool.

Conversion:
1st) 400m at 7:31 = 1:42/100yards
2nd) 400m at 8:55 = 2min/100y

At half the number of wall pushoffs, and recovering from a mild cold, I can live with that.

So don't forget to check the yards/meters between pools!
steve
2009-05-01 2:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
April's totals:
Bike:12h 26m  - 112.4 Mi
Run:6h 51m 10s  - 31.72 Mi
Swim:12h 52m 26s
Strength:2h 25m
Weight                            down   5.4ilbs

Overall I'm pretty happy with my totals for the month. My bike is quite a bit lower than last month but everything else has gone up.  I have difficulty finding time for strength training. It was nonexistant last month so I'm actually surprised that I got 2.25 hours in of it just by doing about 10-20 minutes of it a couple nights of the week. I'm reallly not workign off of any training plan. Is there a set amount of time we should be aiming for each week for each of the disciplines?
2009-05-01 3:06 PM

User image

Woodbridge, VA
April's totals:
Bike: 7h 48m 33s - 131.57 Mi
Run: 6h 20m 16s - 42.23 Mi
Swim: 4h 31m 38s - 11532.42 Yd
Strength: 06m
Elliptical Training: 35m

I'm ok with my totals. Its a little more spotty than I would like, but its just another area to improve on.

2009-05-01 3:38 PM
in reply to: #2124096

User image

Elite
Texas
cole18msu - 2009-05-01 1:28 PM Tri Shorts...

So I am about to buy the first pair or two, and just like anything else in this sport there are too many options to know what to choose.  Is there anything in particular I need to know?  A favorite brand or anything?  I seem to like the Zoot or De Soto best from what I can tell by looking online.  I don't have anywhere local to actually try some on.

I have 10 pair of trishorts. By far my favorite is from Ooomph! Sports. I like my Zoot and DeSoto as well. But the Ooomph! pair has held it's elasticity the best.
2009-05-01 3:40 PM
in reply to: #2124434

User image

Elite
Texas
etselec444 - 2009-05-01 2:58 PM
April's totals:
Bike:12h 26m  - 112.4 Mi
Run:6h 51m 10s  - 31.72 Mi
Swim:12h 52m 26s
Strength:2h 25m
Weight                            down   5.4ilbs

Overall I'm pretty happy with my totals for the month. My bike is quite a bit lower than last month but everything else has gone up.  I have difficulty finding time for strength training. It was nonexistant last month so I'm actually surprised that I got 2.25 hours in of it just by doing about 10-20 minutes of it a couple nights of the week. I'm reallly not workign off of any training plan. Is there a set amount of time we should be aiming for each week for each of the disciplines?

If I'm doing ten hours in a week, I try to spend five on the bike. I like to divide the remainder evenly among run and swim. I don't count strength and strength toward my volume.
2009-05-01 4:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
On the tri shorts,

I actually just bought my first pair a couple of weeks ago Zoot and I love them so far!
2009-05-01 4:59 PM
in reply to: #2124661

User image

Great Lakes Illinois
I am hoping to get a set of shorts and top for Fathers day so I get some training time in them before my race in July.
2009-05-01 7:33 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
April's totals:
Bike: 5h 00m - 63.38 Mi
Run: 4h 42m - 23.24 Mi
Swim: 4h 00m - 7928.7 Yd
Strength: 2h 40m
Hockey: 1h 00m

Pretty happy with april because it is my first real month back at it and I have swam more and run almost as much as I had all last year. I am on no set plan, but that will change once I can pick a race. My mind feels sharp, my weight is slowly but surely decreasing and my clothes fit better. Overall I am a happy camper, thanks team!

2009-05-01 8:27 PM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Not happy with my totals for April, but there is no use crying over spilled milk (as "they" say).  Doesn't look like sufficient volume for HIM training though, does it?  I was traveling for business two weeks in April, and I had been traveling two weeks in March too, so I did what I could in the hotel fitness centers.  But it is what it is...

April's totals:
Bike:17h 46m 09s  - 276 Mi
Run:13h 09m 56s  - 82.02 Mi
Swim:2h 58m 54s  - 5200 M

2009-05-01 8:30 PM
in reply to: #2124993

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

So that last post sounded like I'm whining, but I'm not (honestly!).  I'm good with where I am.  I have a positive attitude toward next weekend!  Never mind that there have been red flag warnings posted here for days and days now...

2009-05-01 9:26 PM
in reply to: #2124999

User image

Elite
Texas
Sledge - 2009-05-01 8:30 PM

So that last post sounded like I'm whining, but I'm not (honestly!).  I'm good with where I am.  I have a positive attitude toward next weekend!  Never mind that there have been red flag warnings posted here for days and days now...

I get where you're coming from Cheri. Every race I've done I've toed the start line after never having completed as much of my plan as I had hoped. For us age-groupers life always seems to get in the way. But rest assured you'll be in good company. Just enjoy the experience. I LOVE racing. I love long course racing because there's more time to experience all of the cool things about events like that.

Just have a plan for your nutrition and your effort, and it will come together fine. I'm excited for you, and a little envious to be honest.

2009-05-02 9:04 AM

User image

Regular
Jacksonville
April's totals:
Run: 11h 07m 58s - 72.81 Mi
Elliptical Training: 1h 40m
Hiking: 5h 30m

I am temporarily in Germany until next week, so I have no bike or pool, and it's too friggin cold to swim in a lake in the Alps. I'm SUPER STOKED about my run volume (70 miles was my random goal and my highest monthly mileage ever) - Due to my wrist surgery in December and being in a cast from then until 31 March, running was all I could do. I am cast-free now! I am monitoring my left knee from the tendonitis I had last year. I have occassional pain below my patella, which is not where I had problems last year. It's just a dull ache that comes on usually a few miles in to the run. I try and stretch well before and after, and so far I don't have any pain after my runs. When I get back I am going to see an ortho to have them check out my legs and see if inserts or something would help me out.

I am definitely looking forward to getting back home next weekend and getting back on my bike and in the pool again. I am a complete novice when it comes to setting up a training plan. So far all I can think of is to import a plan from BT and tweak it as need be. I'll definitely be leaning on my fellow House of Pain residents for advice with regards to training plans.

Question - in my 1st season should my training focus mainly on volume?
2009-05-02 10:13 AM
in reply to: #2125366

User image

Great Lakes Illinois
gran - 2009-05-02 9:04 AM April's totals: Run: 11h 07m 58s - 72.81 Mi Elliptical Training: 1h 40m Hiking: 5h 30m I am temporarily in Germany until next week, so I have no bike or pool, and it's too friggin cold to swim in a lake in the Alps. I'm SUPER STOKED about my run volume (70 miles was my random goal and my highest monthly mileage ever) - Due to my wrist surgery in December and being in a cast from then until 31 March, running was all I could do. I am cast-free now! I am monitoring my left knee from the tendonitis I had last year. I have occassional pain below my patella, which is not where I had problems last year. It's just a dull ache that comes on usually a few miles in to the run. I try and stretch well before and after, and so far I don't have any pain after my runs. When I get back I am going to see an ortho to have them check out my legs and see if inserts or something would help me out. I am definitely looking forward to getting back home next weekend and getting back on my bike and in the pool again. I am a complete novice when it comes to setting up a training plan. So far all I can think of is to import a plan from BT and tweak it as need be. I'll definitely be leaning on my fellow House of Pain residents for advice with regards to training plans. Question - in my 1st season should my training focus mainly on volume?

That all depends. You should really do a self analysis to determine this. Based off your run volumes, and lack of cycling or swimming, I would say first thing you should focus on is getting back on the bike and in the pool. Once you have some time in this and your muscles are doing good, then do some tests, take the results of your analysis and go from there on the training plan. If you can get your hands on a book for training triathlete's it would help out alot. I think this is the part where Bill comes in with the Training Bible and I have to echo him on that. I didn't get my hands on a copy until after I had imported a plan from BT, so I just brought the plan in and started it based off of when my off day/race day would be and went from there. Big thing is listen to your body and be honest with yourself. I am not a coach, and that is just my two cents. Laughing

2009-05-02 12:03 PM

User image

Regular
Jacksonville
other random question...how do you highlight things and make things bold and all that fancy stuff in the forums, or in the "goals" section for example? and uploading pics to threads, all that...

Does it require me to learn HTML?
2009-05-02 12:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Was going to ride today but was pouring rain so I decided to swim. Went to the community center to swim but pool was closed. They had closed it becuase of lightening. I have never heard of such it is an indoor pool. They close the pool for thirty minutes after first strike for then add 15 minutes for every other strike. Does your pool have the same rules?

I ended up with an hour on treadmill. fun fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2009-05-02 1:20 PM
in reply to: #2125366

User image

Elite
Texas
gran - 2009-05-02 9:04 AM April's totals: Run: 11h 07m 58s - 72.81 Mi Elliptical Training: 1h 40m Hiking: 5h 30m I am temporarily in Germany until next week, so I have no bike or pool, and it's too friggin cold to swim in a lake in the Alps. I'm SUPER STOKED about my run volume (70 miles was my random goal and my highest monthly mileage ever) - Due to my wrist surgery in December and being in a cast from then until 31 March, running was all I could do. I am cast-free now! I am monitoring my left knee from the tendonitis I had last year. I have occassional pain below my patella, which is not where I had problems last year. It's just a dull ache that comes on usually a few miles in to the run. I try and stretch well before and after, and so far I don't have any pain after my runs. When I get back I am going to see an ortho to have them check out my legs and see if inserts or something would help me out. I am definitely looking forward to getting back home next weekend and getting back on my bike and in the pool again. I am a complete novice when it comes to setting up a training plan. So far all I can think of is to import a plan from BT and tweak it as need be. I'll definitely be leaning on my fellow House of Pain residents for advice with regards to training plans. Question - in my 1st season should my training focus mainly on volume?

First season it's a good idea to focus on technique first, and volume second. Sort out the injury issues so they don't become major problems down the road. Learning transitions, pacing, nutrition strategy are all things you can start now too. Once you have a good foundation and a decent aerobic base, it's okay to move on toward training with a focus on more intensity.
2009-05-02 1:24 PM
in reply to: #2125579

User image

Elite
Texas
dixrp - 2009-05-02 12:33 PM Was going to ride today but was pouring rain so I decided to swim. Went to the community center to swim but pool was closed. They had closed it becuase of lightening. I have never heard of such it is an indoor pool. They close the pool for thirty minutes after first strike for then add 15 minutes for every other strike. Does your pool have the same rules? I ended up with an hour on treadmill. fun fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My indoor pool doesn't close. I wonder if it has to do the the whole "don't shower in an electrical storm" thing where water pipes can conduct a strike?

I'd rather stab myself than run on a treadmill for an hour! I've done it, but it's hard for me. Good mental toughness training I suppose. Nice work!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bill's House of Pain-No Vacancy Rss Feed  

of 26