BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bill's House of Pain-No Vacancy Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2009-04-12 11:47 AM

User image

Elite
Texas
Subject: Bill's House of Pain-No Vacancy

NAME: Bill/Bill
STORY: I started training for my first triathlon almost 5 years ago. I allowed myself to get out of shape and I couldn't stand the way I looked or the way I felt. Since then I've lost around 40 pounds. I have to be careful about my run training. I've had seven knee surgeries so every year I get to continue to race has a bow on it!  
FAMILY STATUS: Married with kids.
CURRENT TRAINING: I build my training plans using the template in the Triathlete's Training Bible. I enjoy the planning almost as much as I enjoy training.
THIS YEAR'S RACES: With two new kids and some injuries to heal, I took the 2008 season off. In 2007 I had a 35 minute PR at the Buffalo Springs Lake IM 70.3 and I placed 20th overall the the US Open Sprint Triathlon in Dallas.
2009 RACES:  My goal this year is to rebuild my base, race short course so I can ease back into running, and to place top 10 overall and top 5 in AG at the US Open. A major goal for me is to manage my training to avoid injury.
WEIGHTLOSS: I'm currently trying to sort out how to get the the lightest weight for my frame. I'm currently 190 lbs at 11-12% body fat. I'd like to get to 180. The body fat % is an afterthought for me, but 8% is probably where I need to be to get to that weight. I'm not a small guy, and I love to strength train... I try to compromise by lifting for strength and muscular endurance.
WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I have a lot of experience teaching, coaching, and mentoring trainees and subordinates as a sergeant in the army's 75th Ranger Regiment. That was my favorite part of my military career. I also have a love for this sport, and everything that comes with it. I believe there are SIX events in triathlon: Swim, Bike, Run, Nutrition, Recovery, and Planning. If you neglect any one of the six, your overall performance will suffer, you may get injured, and most importantly you won't enjoy the experience despite having invested at least some time and effort and possibly quite a bit of cash. This is a selfish pursuit. If you have a family, that can become clear within the very early stages of your first season of training. So it's important to manage your time very well. Some days I get up before 5:00 a.m. to train. It's also important to know you can't do it all. There are days when you will have to miss a workout. Knowing what workouts to make up and which ones you can get by without will help you avoid losing fitness and allow you to get the most out of the time you have available.

As far as specific advice goes, I'm not a subject matter expert per se. But at some point I've probably asked every question there is about training and nutrition. I may not even remember all of the answers off the top of my head. But I do (for the most part) remember where I found them. I joined BT in 2004 and I've met more than 100 BTers at races over the years. By and large they are the best people I know. So I want to give something back by helping some of the new BTers in much the same way I was helped when I started. I still call smarter BTers when I have a question...

Edited by Bill 2009-04-19 7:59 AM

2009-04-17 1:23 PM
in reply to: #2079373

User image

Elite
Texas
Subject: RE: Bill's Mentor Group-OPEN
Please write in a bio similar to mine above if you'd like to join the group...
2009-04-17 1:51 PM

User image

Great Lakes Illinois

Hey Bill,
   I actually like the thought of getting into your group since I am currently serving in the US Navy and you will have an understanding about "training confilicts". Here is a bio for you:

Name: Joshua

Story: I was riding my bike along the North Shore Bike Path and caught up to a guy on a Cervelo TT bike. I decided to talk a little "smack" to him and found out he was an E-7 Navy SEAL training for triathlon. We got along great and chatted for the next hour on the ride about training and what not so I thoght I would give it a try. I found this web site, and haven't stopped since.

Family Status: Married with 2 kids.

Current Training: 12 Sprint Program (Silver) ontop of P90X which I am currently waiting for in the mail.

This Years Races: No Tri's scheduled for this year, but I am really enjoying the training! Still contemplating the Harbor Lights Sprint in June.

Weight Loss: Currently I am 6'1" and I weigh in at 200lbs. I would like to get to 180 - 175lbs.

What Will Make Me A Good Mentor: Isn't that your job?

2009-04-17 2:07 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-04-17 2:27 PM
in reply to: #2092243

Elite
Texas
JeepFleeb - 2009-04-17 2:07 PM

Am I allowed to join even if I'm mentoring my own group?

I love me some Bill.

Absolutely. And it's absolutely mutual brother.
2009-04-17 2:31 PM
in reply to: #2092193

Elite
Texas
bluesman - 2009-04-17 1:51 PM

Hey Bill,
   I actually like the thought of getting into your group since I am currently serving in the US Navy and you will have an understanding about "training confilicts". Here is a bio for you:

Name: Joshua

Story: I was riding my bike along the North Shore Bike Path and caught up to a guy on a Cervelo TT bike. I decided to talk a little "smack" to him and found out he was an E-7 Navy SEAL training for triathlon. We got along great and chatted for the next hour on the ride about training and what not so I thoght I would give it a try. I found this web site, and haven't stopped since.

Family Status: Married with 2 kids.

Current Training: 12 Sprint Program (Silver) ontop of P90X which I am currently waiting for in the mail.

This Years Races: No Tri's scheduled for this year, but I am really enjoying the training! Still contemplating the Harbor Lights Sprint in June.

Weight Loss: Currently I am 6'1" and I weigh in at 200lbs. I would like to get to 180 - 175lbs.

What Will Make Me A Good Mentor: Isn't that your job?

Welcome to the group. Sounds like a good plan. I have the P90X as well. Love the strength workouts. I skip the cardio DVDs as I have that covered with S/B/R.

What sort of nutrition strategy do you have at this point?

2009-04-17 2:37 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by JeepFleeb 2009-04-17 2:38 PM
2009-04-17 3:19 PM

Woodbridge, VA
NAME: James P
STORY: I ran competitively in high school (4:39 miler, 9:45 3200m). Went to college and got fat and lazy. Started doing tris last year. Did three sprint distance events. I am currently in law school at nights (Univ. of Houston) and work at a patent law firm (Patterson&Sheridan) during the day. My wife doesn't understand the sport so I am ridding a used Road Bike that's a touch too small.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, no kids.

CURRENT TRAINING: What I can when I can

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I have a few ODTs planned to tune up for the US Open in Dallas. I am also considering Iron Star HIM in Nov. My first ODT is next weekend in Spicewood, TX.

WEIGHTLOSS: I am a bigger fella who is trying to get lighter. In HS I graduated at 6', 175lbs. Peaked at 222lbs trying to get back to at least 185. Right now sitting at 207lbs. Started trying to lose weight at the end of Dec 2008.

Bill-

May I join your group?

-James
2009-04-17 6:15 PM

Veteran
Can I play?

Name: Rob Screen name/dixrp

Family Status: Divorced with three kids, they live with their mom, I get them all the time.

Story: 42 yrs old. A divorce three years ago made me take long hard look at my life, one thing that I had done was let my physical condition go pot. I was 6’6” 300lb. I lost 75 lb because of depression (I did not eat) and exercise. 2006 I was running 6 times a week, did bunch of 5ks and 10ks and ½ mary. Injured my foot late 2006 stopped training. I bought a bike in late summer of 2007 and started training again. I had gained back 40 lbs. I did a sprint tri in fall of 2007 and had a blast. 2008 trained and did 5 sprint tris. The last one was in Oct and I have not trained since then. I have to get back on wagon before I hit 300 again.

2009 Races: I have five sprints on the calendar and one Oly and a century ride.
Cats Sprint June 7th
Mighty Mite July 18th
Rivercities Tri Aug 2nd
TriArk Oly Aug 15th
Degray Sprint Aug 16th
Big Dam Bridge Century Early Sept
Heber Springs Tri Oct 4th

I am thinking about signing up for the Longhorn ½ iron Oct 25th. I know I have six months to prepared but I am intimidated. I compete as a Clyde and would like to move from back of pack to the middle of the pack.

Weight loss: Now 270 lb. I would like to get back to 230-235. With exercise and watching what I put in mouth it should be easy to do. I just need to get off my butt. One thing I would like to incorporate is some weight training.

At the current time I have not been on any training plan or routine, just a run, swim or bike every now and then. Most like going to get on the 20 week Oly plan then move over to 1/2 plan or just build base and start 20 week 1/2 iron in couple months.

Edited by dixrp 2009-04-17 6:20 PM
2009-04-17 6:32 PM

Extreme Veteran
Name: etselec444/Melanie

Story: I did a year of tri's about three years ago and last race was a coplete flop due to an injury several weeks before it. Tri's have called me back and I started my taining back up in February.

Family Status: Single, no pets, I do have a roomate though who's into tri's as well.

Current Training: Really focusing on my swimming and biking since these are the two I have the least experience with. Getting some side help with the swim from a coach who is helping me with form as well.

This Year's Races: Tempe International May 17th (Yeah that close Yikes!) Olympic distance...I want to do a couple others and possibly a HIM in Novemeber SOMA.

2009 races: My overall goal is to train appropriately for the races I do enter. I don't want to feel like death during the run.

Weightloss: I do have some extra baggage that I am still working on dropping but have already shed about 12 of those pounds so only 13 more to go.
2009-04-17 6:51 PM
in reply to: #2092323

Elite
Texas
JeepFleeb - 2009-04-17 2:37 PM

NAME: JeepFleeb / Aaron

STORY:
I fell in love with the Ironman when I first saw the World Championship race on TV.  I was probably 6 or 7 at the time.  After getting fat in high school (280 lbs) a dare got me to start running with the cross country team my senior year.  A few years later a co-worker talked me into training for a marathon.

Doing nothing but running started to cause injuries so I bought a bike for the cardio benefits without the impact of running.  That led to a duathlon.  The du led to a sprint tri.  The sprint tri led to my first Ironman a year later.

Now I've finished 6 IM's (personal best of 10:48) and am focused on qualifying for the World Championships in Kona.  I also became a coach last year for my coach's company and am helping my athletes reach their own goals.

FAMILY STATUS:
 Single 

CURRENT TRAINING:
I've been working with my coach for about 2.5 years now.

LAST YEAR'S RACES:
 I had 3 Kona qualifiers last year: Ironman Arizona (both April and November) and the Buffalo Springs 70.3.  Plus all the other shorter races in between.

2009 RACES:

- Hawaii training camp
- Cowtown half marathon
- St. Patty's Day sprint tri
- California 70.3
- King Tut sprint tri
- Buffalo Spring training camp (coaching)
- Buffman & Squeaky olympic tri
- Eagleman 70.3
- Playtri olympic tri
- Louisville training camp
- Disco sprint tri
- Jack's Generic sprint tri
- Take on the Heat sprint tri
- ???
- Stonebridge Ranch olympic tri
- ???

WEIGHTLOSS:
Maintain.  Last year I really focused on my nutrition to get my bodyfat into the 6-8% range and measured 5.9% before IMAZ in November.

Aaron as familiar as I am with your story I never get tired of hearing it... And I'm still claiming the fame from being the first BTer you met at TriAmerica 2005.

2009-04-17 6:57 PM
in reply to: #2092522

Elite
Texas
jpohlman - 2009-04-17 3:19 PM NAME: James P STORY: I ran competitively in high school (4:39 miler, 9:45 3200m). Went to college and got fat and lazy. Started doing tris last year. Did three sprint distance events. I am currently in law school at nights (Univ. of Houston) and work at a patent law firm (Patterson&Sheridan) during the day. My wife doesn't understand the sport so I am ridding a used Road Bike that's a touch too small. FAMILY STATUS: Married, no kids. CURRENT TRAINING: What I can when I can THIS YEAR'S RACES: I have a few ODTs planned to tune up for the US Open in Dallas. I am also considering Iron Star HIM in Nov. My first ODT is next weekend in Spicewood, TX. WEIGHTLOSS: I am a bigger fella who is trying to get lighter. In HS I graduated at 6', 175lbs. Peaked at 222lbs trying to get back to at least 185. Right now sitting at 207lbs. Started trying to lose weight at the end of Dec 2008. Bill- May I join your group? -James

Hi James, welcome to the group. Sounds like you have a lot on your plate, so triathlon is the perfect sport for you.

Glad to hear your local (I'm in Beaumont). I'll be at the US Open as well, work permitting. Nothing wrong with a road bike. I did my first two tris on a Diamondback mountain bike in fact.

If you're planning on OLYs and a late season 1/2 IM a good training plan can not only prepare you for the race but give you tha confidence that comes from knowing you've done your homework. Puting in the right amount of time, dosing your effort, and recovering well will get you in a position to really enjoy your race experiences... Good luck.
2009-04-17 7:11 PM
in reply to: #2092891

Elite
Texas
dixrp - 2009-04-17 6:15 PM Can I play? Name: Rob Screen name/dixrp Family Status: Divorced with three kids, they live with their mom, I get them all the time. Story: 42 yrs old. A divorce three years ago made me take long hard look at my life, one thing that I had done was let my physical condition go pot. I was 6’6” 300lb. I lost 75 lb because of depression (I did not eat) and exercise. 2006 I was running 6 times a week, did bunch of 5ks and 10ks and ½ mary. Injured my foot late 2006 stopped training. I bought a bike in late summer of 2007 and started training again. I had gained back 40 lbs. I did a sprint tri in fall of 2007 and had a blast. 2008 trained and did 5 sprint tris. The last one was in Oct and I have not trained since then. I have to get back on wagon before I hit 300 again. 2009 Races: I have five sprints on the calendar and one Oly and a century ride. Cats Sprint June 7th Mighty Mite July 18th Rivercities Tri Aug 2nd TriArk Oly Aug 15th Degray Sprint Aug 16th Big Dam Bridge Century Early Sept Heber Springs Tri Oct 4th I am thinking about signing up for the Longhorn ½ iron Oct 25th. I know I have six months to prepared but I am intimidated. I compete as a Clyde and would like to move from back of pack to the middle of the pack. Weight loss: Now 270 lb. I would like to get back to 230-235. With exercise and watching what I put in mouth it should be easy to do. I just need to get off my butt. One thing I would like to incorporate is some weight training. At the current time I have not been on any training plan or routine, just a run, swim or bike every now and then. Most like going to get on the 20 week Oly plan then move over to 1/2 plan or just build base and start 20 week 1/2 iron in couple months.

Welcome Rob! Sounds like you're in a good position to build up to a half between now and Longhorn. I was scared to death when I did my first 70.3 (Buffalo Springs in 2006). I had several BTers there (including Jeepfleeb ^^^) to help me get my head on straight. I was underprepared and highly stressed out with "life" stuff at the time, but I survived. In fact I expected to be over 50 minutes on the swim and I was done in 33 and change.

A good, well execcuted 1/2 IM plan will help get the weight off. Aaron (Jeepfleeb) has done the Aquabike at Longhorn so we can pick his brain a little about the course...

As far as strength training goes, I propably incorporate more than I should into my routine. But I like it so I do it. With your weight loss goals my personal opinion is that ST has a role as long as you're careful about it. I don't want to sound like a commercial for it, but the best ST program I've done is P90X. If you have experience with strength training I really don't think you have to go out and pay for the DVDs. A 15 minute phone call could hit all of the high points and get you started.

I'm hoping to be at Longhorn for a relay team, work permitting. Good luck this season!

Edited by Bill 2009-04-17 7:12 PM
2009-04-17 7:22 PM
in reply to: #2092913

Elite
Texas
etselec444 - 2009-04-17 6:32 PM Name: etselec444/Melanie

Story: I did a year of tri's about three years ago and last race was a coplete flop due to an injury several weeks before it. Tri's have called me back and I started my taining back up in February.

Family Status: Single, no pets, I do have a roomate though who's into tri's as well.

Current Training: Really focusing on my swimming and biking since these are the two I have the least experience with. Getting some side help with the swim from a coach who is helping me with form as well.

This Year's Races: Tempe International May 17th (Yeah that close Yikes!) Olympic distance...I want to do a couple others and possibly a HIM in Novemeber SOMA.

2009 races: My overall goal is to train appropriately for the races I do enter. I don't want to feel like death during the run.

Weightloss: I do have some extra baggage that I am still working on dropping but have already shed about 12 of those pounds so only 13 more to go.

Hi Melanie. Welcome to the group.  I played football at NAU up in Flagstaff about 200 years ago...

I went and looked at your training log since your OLY is so close. I think you're fine. The thing about going up in distance is you have to look at your limiters a little more closely. The longer the race, the holes in your preparation will sort of exponentially become more apparent. For example, it's a lot easier to side stroke 800 yards at a sprint tri than 1600 meters at an OLY (trust me, I did both before I learned to swim!).

An early season race that's a "stretch" distance is perhaps best approached as a training day where you look at two events as a workout and one event as a race effort. For you, since you are new to the swim and bike I'd probably take those at a nice aerobic effort just to get the feel for those legs of the race and then run at what would be a race effort for you.

A November 1/2 is totally feasable. Plenty of time to get ready. Good luck!
2009-04-17 7:30 PM

Elite
Texas
Still room for 5 more in the BHOP. (Bill's House of Pain).

The name is a joke...

... sort of.
2009-04-17 7:39 PM

NAME: Michael/Mike
STORY: I'm 59 and pretty much out of shape, although I can stagger through 36 holes of golf in a day (with a cart). My weight is at the highest it has ever been -- two weeks ago it was 272 pounds on a 5-10 frame -- and my son has been after me to do something about it.

My 24-year-old son is a triathlete who will be doing his first Ironman Triathlon at the end of June in Nice, France. Last month I watched as he did a sprint (5k run, 15k bike, 150-meter swim) in Pasadena and I decided to work toward doing that same event a year from now.

CURRENT TRAINING: Nothing yet, other than golf. I have a sore ankle and I've had tendinitis in my left Achilles for about a year. I'm going to start out with 30 minutes on the treadmill.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Probably nothing. I need to get into shape and lose weight. My goal is for next March in Pasadena.

WEIGHT LOSS: I need to lose a lot. I've dropped about 10 pounds already, but I need to get down at least to 210 and hopefully under 200.

2009-04-17 8:10 PM

Elite
Texas
CaliforniaMike - 2009-04-17 7:39 PM NAME: Michael/Mike
STORY: I'm 59 and pretty much out of shape, although I can stagger through 36 holes of golf in a day (with a cart). My weight is at the highest it has ever been -- two weeks ago it was 272 pounds on a 5-10 frame -- and my son has been after me to do something about it.

My 24-year-old son is a triathlete who will be doing his first Ironman Triathlon at the end of June in Nice, France. Last month I watched as he did a sprint (5k run, 15k bike, 150-meter swim) in Pasadena and I decided to work toward doing that same event a year from now.

CURRENT TRAINING: Nothing yet, other than golf. I have a sore ankle and I've had tendinitis in my left Achilles for about a year. I'm going to start out with 30 minutes on the treadmill.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Probably nothing. I need to get into shape and lose weight. My goal is for next March in Pasadena.

WEIGHT LOSS: I need to lose a lot. I've dropped about 10 pounds already, but I need to get down at least to 210 and hopefully under 200.

Hi Mike. Welcome to the group, and welcome to BT! What race in Pasadena? Believe it or not I'm from Eagle Rock. I was born in Glendale, live in Eagle Rock until I was 18 and went off to college. Small world...

A conservative train up to a sprint is a great way to lose some weight and get into the sport. I'm sure your son will be a good source of information and inspiration!
2009-04-17 9:52 PM

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
NAME: justinfss/Justin
STORY: Never really been super athletic, hockey and snowboarding throughout High School is about it, a little Biathlon in the winter with the Royal Canadian Air Cadet Program. Gained about 60 lbs in University. Now I am 26 and Ultimately I would like to get in shape/Healthy and have a good time doing it, Started swimming and biking in the spring of 08 and signed up for the local Sprint ( Timmins, ON. Canada) but didn't really stick to any training plan and wussed out. Now I would like to try for a Sprint this summer (can't do the same one due to a scheduling conflict) also I have talked about doing a half marathon with a friend in Mid-August but I would rather get my first Tri under my belt if both aren't possible.
FAMILY STATUS: in a relationship
CURRENT TRAINING:No set training and just started really getting back into the Swim/Bike/Run this week (The snow is finally melting...)
THIS YEAR'S RACES: Hopefully a sprint or two and possibly a half marathon
2009 RACES: Get in a good training routine and stick too it!
WEIGHTLOSS: I weight 225-230 lbs and am 5'11, I would like to get below 200 this year and continue down. I could really use some help with nutrition.

Side note: I may possibly be transferring from Timmins to Toronto for upgrading in my career sometime in the near future. I work in Air Traffic Services. The training to become a controller in Toronto is very intensive due to the work load and complexity (Canada's busiest aiport/airspace). I find that After a good bike,run or swim I feel better and think better. I think the mental benefits to triathlon training will go along way to helping me achieve my career goals.

So thats my story in a nutshell guys, and if you'd have me Bill I would be glad to be a member of your group.

Thanks ,

Justin
2009-04-17 10:32 PM
in reply to: #2093249

Elite
Texas
justinfss - 2009-04-17 9:52 PM NAME: justinfss/Justin STORY: Never really been super athletic, hockey and snowboarding throughout High School is about it, a little Biathlon in the winter with the Royal Canadian Air Cadet Program. Gained about 60 lbs in University. Now I am 26 and Ultimately I would like to get in shape/Healthy and have a good time doing it, Started swimming and biking in the spring of 08 and signed up for the local Sprint ( Timmins, ON. Canada) but didn't really stick to any training plan and wussed out. Now I would like to try for a Sprint this summer (can't do the same one due to a scheduling conflict) also I have talked about doing a half marathon with a friend in Mid-August but I would rather get my first Tri under my belt if both aren't possible. FAMILY STATUS: in a relationship CURRENT TRAINING:No set training and just started really getting back into the Swim/Bike/Run this week (The snow is finally melting...) THIS YEAR'S RACES: Hopefully a sprint or two and possibly a half marathon 2009 RACES: Get in a good training routine and stick too it! WEIGHTLOSS: I weight 225-230 lbs and am 5'11, I would like to get below 200 this year and continue down. I could really use some help with nutrition. Side note: I may possibly be transferring from Timmins to Toronto for upgrading in my career sometime in the near future. I work in Air Traffic Services. The training to become a controller in Toronto is very intensive due to the work load and complexity (Canada's busiest aiport/airspace). I find that After a good bike,run or swim I feel better and think better. I think the mental benefits to triathlon training will go along way to helping me achieve my career goals. So thats my story in a nutshell guys, and if you'd have me Bill I would be glad to be a member of your group. Thanks , Justin

Hi Justin, and welcome. 5'11 and 230 is familiar territory...

I spent an awful lot of time learning the nutrition side of things, so I'd be happy to share what I've leaned and point you in the right direction. The Nutrition Forum here on BT is excellent for starters. Scroll through the pages to old topics and read as much as you feel may apply. If you need help navigating the forum let me know...

Plenty of time to get ready for some sprints and a late season 1/2 Mary. For now it's fair to just get in some light workouts with the swim, bike, run, and cross train with things that are familiar. After a few weeks of consistent training like that, starting a tri specific training plan will be easier because you will be in the habit of regular workouts. Good luck as you get started. Triathlon is full of people who started just where you are... lot's of us here on BT.
2009-04-17 11:02 PM

Elite
Texas

So here's a quick breakdown of my philosophy on triathlon.

1) "It's an avocation, not a vocation." For myself and people like me this is a hobby. That doesn't change unless someone decides to start paying us to be triathletes (or tri coaches, like our very own Aaron [Jeepfleeb]). I wish I could say I came up with that phrase. I didn't. Oddly enough it came from my friend Peggy who is an elite triathlete and Ironman World Champion in her Age group (Kona 2008, and hopefully defending as she goes back this year in 2009). When I train with her, she is having fun. Even as I am nearly in tears trying to keep up with her, she's having a good time. So remember even though it's good to be competitive, it's AWESOME to be in better shape than 99% of the population, and it's cool to be the weirdo at work who does "tri-ath-A-lons" (as the unindoctrinated refer to them)... it's most important to have fun.

2) There are not three events in triathlon. There are six, but "hexathlon" sounded creepy. The six events, not in order of importance are "swim, bike, run, recovery, planning, and nutrition". They are all equally important. Watch a duathlon world champ who's never been in the water take on the swim at St Anthony's. Or google Chris Legh's finish at Kona the year he didn't get his nutrition right. Try running ten hard miles on Saturday, and Sunday. There's a method to the madness. The better you understand how all of those SIX events play together, the better your experience will be and the better you will perform on race day.

3) There are three people with whom you need to train. You need to train with people who are a little faster than you are. They'll push you to get to where they are. You need to train with people at your level. Ability group rides are usually something you can find by asking around at your local bike shop. Finally, you need to train with people who have been where you started (some of you are new enough that this doesn't apply yet). If you're at the pool (like I was today) and you see the guy with a bike shop water bottle dog paddling, ask him if he's a triathlete...  And help him out, even if it's just to say "man you dogpaddle better than I do!" All of those people will make you better, keep you honest, and allow you to measure your progress in the sport.

A few housekeeping issues:

1) I'll post some guidelines for how I'd like to see things go in here in the next day or two, just to help us stay focused and so none of us (me in particular ) loses training time or family time glued to the computer.

2) I'll be posting a "Tip of the Day" in here as many days as I can. So be looking for that. I could just put a list, but I'd like each point to have the chance to be a topic of discussion. So they'll each get their due.

3) If you don't know how to use the "inspire" feature on the training logs let me know. It's a great way to encourage each other. Please add your fellow group members (teammates at this point as far as I'm concerned) to your friends list if you use on on your blog and inspire each other.

4) Start thinking about questions that you have relative to the SIX events, and about  raceweek. The week prior to the race and raceday together comprise the event. Not just packet pickup and the event. As the first of you has a race approach we can go through that week step by step each day and learn from your mistakes experience...   

5) If you run out of questions, I'll assign homework. I may anyway.

That's all for now. Gotta hit the sack so I can get in my bike early before work...

2009-04-18 12:36 AM

Regular
Jacksonville
Still got room for a US Marine??

NAME: Jeff
STORY: I volunteered to work at at triathlon in 2004 and wanted to do it. Then I spent the next few years mostly deployed. Finally got a road bike at the end of 2007. 2008 was supposed to be my "first" season, but I had tendonitis in my knee in Feb, then I tore my hamstring in June, so I didn't do anything. Had wrist surgery last December and started running again in Jan, cast and all. Haven't been on the bike or in the pool, but I'm cast free and ready to get it on.
FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 kids.
CURRENT TRAINING: Will likely choose a BT oly plan in May after I get back from Germany. I have the Bible, but since it's technically my first season I think a lot of that is above me. Probably mostly concerned with volume. Then again, I am almost OCD, so if anyone in this group can help me out with some serious planning, I'd love it.
LAST YEAR'S RACES: 2008 was a horrible year (see injury list above)
2009 RACES: My goal this year is to rebuild my base, a couple sprints in June/July, then an Oly in August. Also the odd 5/10K if there is somthing local. Not a huge tri community where I'm at, so most races I'd have to travel to, and that involves the General's (wife's) approval.
WEIGHTLOSS: I am down about 8 lbs since I started running consistenly in January. I'm about 198 and would love to be about 185 by the end of summer. I don't have a nutrition plan, but I probably need one.

I'm an active duty SSgt in the Marines, and obviously fitness is part of our culture. I'm sad I've let things slide but now I'm determined to get back on the pain train. So far I have a solid start again with running...swim and bike have been on hold since my wrist sugery and 15 weeks in a cast, but I'm ready to get that going again after May 9.

2009-04-18 6:27 AM
in reply to: #2093418

Elite
Texas
gran - 2009-04-18 12:36 AM Still got room for a US Marine?? NAME: Jeff STORY: I volunteered to work at at triathlon in 2004 and wanted to do it. Then I spent the next few years mostly deployed. Finally got a road bike at the end of 2007. 2008 was supposed to be my "first" season, but I had tendonitis in my knee in Feb, then I tore my hamstring in June, so I didn't do anything. Had wrist surgery last December and started running again in Jan, cast and all. Haven't been on the bike or in the pool, but I'm cast free and ready to get it on. FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 kids. CURRENT TRAINING: Will likely choose a BT oly plan in May after I get back from Germany. I have the Bible, but since it's technically my first season I think a lot of that is above me. Probably mostly concerned with volume. Then again, I am almost OCD, so if anyone in this group can help me out with some serious planning, I'd love it. LAST YEAR'S RACES: 2008 was a horrible year (see injury list above) 2009 RACES: My goal this year is to rebuild my base, a couple sprints in June/July, then an Oly in August. Also the odd 5/10K if there is somthing local. Not a huge tri community where I'm at, so most races I'd have to travel to, and that involves the General's (wife's) approval. WEIGHTLOSS: I am down about 8 lbs since I started running consistenly in January. I'm about 198 and would love to be about 185 by the end of summer. I don't have a nutrition plan, but I probably need one. I'm an active duty SSgt in the Marines, and obviously fitness is part of our culture. I'm sad I've let things slide but now I'm determined to get back on the pain train. So far I have a solid start again with running...swim and bike have been on hold since my wrist sugery and 15 weeks in a cast, but I'm ready to get that going again after May 9.

Absolutely... welcome to the group Jeff.

I've slept with the Training Bible on my night stand for 4 years. I've read it cover to cover at least 5 times. So I get it, but the cool thing is there's always something new to learn. A basic understanding of just a handful of concepts in the book can get you started. When I have some downtime today or tomorrow I'll post a little Tri Training Bible primer to help you out... As far as injuries go, I've had a number of them that have affected my training (most old, some new) so I know that part of it get's frustrating when in your head you want to GO. It's good to know what to push through and what sort of pain means "stop". I'm sure you have that ability as a Marine.

I always liked the Marines. We had a few Marine vets in the Ranger Battalion... they we're all top notch guys.

2009-04-18 8:08 AM

Elite
Texas
Our group so far:

Bill's Mentor Group
JoshuaBluesman
AaronJeepfleeb
Jamesjpohlman
Robdixrp
Melanieetselec
MikeCaliforniaMike
Justinjustinfss
Jeffgran

Still room for a few more. I won't count Aaron against the number. If I had multiple six time Ironman Finishers in this group, I'd count him.
2009-04-18 10:21 AM
in reply to: #2093418

Great Lakes Illinois
   Jeff I feel your pain. I tripped over my 2 year olds slide in our living room back in February and fractured my right radial head. I got back on the bike alot sooner then my doctor wanted me to, but then I don't trust doctors that don't do endurance sports. For the most part my arm is getting better, I still have some weakness when it comes to doing certain exercises; I can do push-ups, I can do push-up planks, I just can't do diamond push-up planks. Basically if it makes me cry, I hold off and try to move into that exercise a bit slower.
2009-04-18 4:13 PM

Veteran
Sarasota FL
If i can jump onboard-
Name: Steve/EvenOlder

Story/Status: Turned 36, realized 6'1'' shouldn't weigh 230lbs.  Busy with wife, 3yo and 5yo boys and owning my own business.  Started biking to lose weight, realized that triathlons were safe for my hands/joints so as not to jeopardize my career as a dentist.  11/08 did a super-sprint locally, 2/09 did another at my alma mater of UF.  Got my weight down to 207 last week=happy.

Training/Races this year: I will spend 30-45min a day on training, but that's it.  I'm recovering from Plantar Fascitiis in my right foot.  I will do sprints this year.  I will likely only ever do sprints.  My body likes to go fast, but not for very long.  I too enjoy planning my training out.
2009 Schedule:
2/1/2009 Trigator Gainesville FL  Placed AG:5th, 83/210 overall
6/14/2009 Honeymoon Island Sprint Dunedin FL
7/26/2009 Sebring FL Sprint
10/2009 Sarasota Sharks Sprint Sarasota FL
At least 2 others

Weightloss:  I'd like to get to 200lbs, but I lift 2x a week - so i'll never be light enough to be very competitive.  My triathlon goals are: go fast, look good, have fun with the sport.

Thanks if I can get in the group.
steve

Edited by EvenOlder 2009-04-18 4:13 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bill's House of Pain-No Vacancy Rss Feed  

of 26