Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2009-12-29 8:47 PM
in reply to: #2555870

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Experior's Group - CLOSED
OK, I'm in for the weight-loss challenge.  I'm going to be semi-aggressive about it while my training is still not super-intense.  (I find it is easier to lose weight when I'm not training an enormous amount -- a huge training load makes me want to eat all the time!)  So I'll put myself down for 1.5 lbs/week.  That'll get me half way to my race weight.

And since a secondary goal was mentioned, here's a slightly odd one that I'd like to get some accountability for:  at least 750m of kick drills per week.  I seem to be much too good at finding excuses for not doing kick drills when I swim ("my legs are tired from the run yesterday", "I think I feel some cramps coming on", "that stoplight outside is red", blah blah blah, whine whine whine).

2009-12-30 1:29 AM

User image

Expert
Salem
Received some snow this afternoon.  Tomorrow morning's run may have to wait until the evening once it all melts off.  I'll get up early and check it out.  5.5 miles on the agenda. 
2009-12-30 8:53 AM
in reply to: #2583137

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Experior - 2009-12-29 8:47 PM

And since a secondary goal was mentioned, here's a slightly odd one that I'd like to get some accountability for:  at least 750m of kick drills per week.  I seem to be much too good at finding excuses for not doing kick drills when I swim ("my legs are tired from the run yesterday", "I think I feel some cramps coming on", "that stoplight outside is red", blah blah blah, whine whine whine).

I guess that this shows that everyone has their own style.  When I swim, I barely kick at all.  In fact, I don't kick to try and propel myself.  I use my feet and kick only to help rotate side to side.  My thought is, and I remember reading this somewhere, that you should only kick a little bit in a triathlon to save your legs for the bike and run.  I guess for me, that advice stuck.  Earlier in the week was good validation of that.  The day that I ran to the Y and just did TI balance drills, most of which the only propulsion was kicking, my glutes were screaming at me in the pool.

Maybe I should kick a little more when swimming....perhaps I'll look into that a bit...I really would like to drop my 100 yard average time down from 1:50 to 1:35~130....

Scout
2009-12-30 12:14 PM

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL
I'll do the weight loss thing too. I haven't weighed myself since November, but getting out of the shower this morning I looked in the mirror and saw that whatever abs I had are fading away. I bet I've gained 10 pounds since my HIM. Holiday eating, working around the clock during the holidays (I'm a retailer) plus a nagging cold have killed my month as far as training goes. I'm starting to feel better today but still congested and coughing up nastiness.

I plan on going for a long ride on New Year's Day. There's an informal ride on New Year's called the Hangover Hundred and I'll probably do 60 or so with a buddy. At least I'll burn off some calories before that last big holiday meal.
2009-12-30 12:19 PM
in reply to: #2584243

User image

Expert
Salem
Spleen - 2009-12-30 10:14 AM I'll do the weight loss thing too. I haven't weighed myself since November, but getting out of the shower this morning I looked in the mirror and saw that whatever abs I had are fading away. I bet I've gained 10 pounds since my HIM. Holiday eating, working around the clock during the holidays (I'm a retailer) plus a nagging cold have killed my month as far as training goes. I'm starting to feel better today but still congested and coughing up nastiness.

I plan on going for a long ride on New Year's Day. There's an informal ride on New Year's called the Hangover Hundred and I'll probably do 60 or so with a buddy. At least I'll burn off some calories before that last big holiday meal.

Spleen....I haven't seen my Abs in over 25 years.  If I can get my weight down to where I was before I started Tri Training 190 or so I might be able to see them again given my routines I have established since last March.  My appetite has increased since I began training.
2009-12-30 12:41 PM
in reply to: #2584256

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
TriGuyBri - 2009-12-30 10:19 AM

Spleen - 2009-12-30 10:14 AM I'll do the weight loss thing too. I haven't weighed myself .

Spleen....I haven't seen my Abs in over 25 years.  If I can get my weight down to where I was before I started Tri Training 190 or so I might be able to see them again given my routines I have established since last March.  My appetite has increased since I began training.

that is my issue-i am hungry, i eat decently-there is always room for improvement. but i have plateaued on my weight. i know the basic formula-workout more and eat less should equal weight loss. but sometimes i can fast for three days and still gain 5 pounds. so for the past month or so i have stopped weighing myself out of frustration.
running has helped me lose 50 lbs, so i know to keep at it and possibly up the tempo and distance. have a great day everyone.

2009-12-30 12:42 PM
in reply to: #2584243

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Spleen - 2009-12-30 12:14 PM I'll do the weight loss thing too. I haven't weighed myself since November, but getting out of the shower this morning I looked in the mirror and saw that whatever abs I had are fading away. I bet I've gained 10 pounds since my HIM. Holiday eating, working around the clock during the holidays (I'm a retailer) plus a nagging cold have killed my month as far as training goes. I'm starting to feel better today but still congested and coughing up nastiness.

You get out of the shower and actually look in the mirror? That's awesome! Can't wait to do that. I finally feel good looking in the mirror with clothes on. LOL

AM swim. PM spinning class.
2009-12-30 3:05 PM
in reply to: #2583721

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
scout21 - 2009-12-30 9:53 AM
Experior - 2009-12-29 8:47 PM

I guess that this shows that everyone has their own style.  When I swim, I barely kick at all.  In fact, I don't kick to try and propel myself.  I use my feet and kick only to help rotate side to side.  My thought is, and I remember reading this somewhere, that you should only kick a little bit in a triathlon to save your legs for the bike and run.  I guess for me, that advice stuck.  Earlier in the week was good validation of that.  The day that I ran to the Y and just did TI balance drills, most of which the only propulsion was kicking, my glutes were screaming at me in the pool.

Maybe I should kick a little more when swimming....perhaps I'll look into that a bit...I really would like to drop my 100 yard average time down from 1:50 to 1:35~130....

Scout

OH, I agree with this 100%.  (Some very fast triathletes DO kick pretty hard in the swim, especially Olympic distance and below, but lots of them don't as well.  Even fast swimmers ease up the kicking at longer distances.  Have a look at Grant Hackett -- in this video he frequently eases up on the kick, presumably to save energy.)  I do a pretty easy 2-beat kick just to keep balanced and aid rotation.  I first started doing that after reading this:

http://badig.com/2009/06/the-two-beat-kick/

At the same time, I still think that you want that kick to be as efficient as possible, both in terms of correct form and physiologically (building up the efficiency of the kicking muscles).  And in my mind (well, really, I'm just repeating what my swim coach says to me) that means practicing the kick.

Having said that, yes, you can go faster if you kick harder (once you're kicking properly).  When I do all out 100m I'm kicking to beat the band, and that appears to be what fast swimmers (i.e., not me!) do as well.
2009-12-30 3:07 PM
in reply to: #2584310

User image

Expert
Salem
wplummer - 2009-12-30 10:41 AM
TriGuyBri - 2009-12-30 10:19 AM
Spleen - 2009-12-30 10:14 AM I'll do the weight loss thing too. I haven't weighed myself .

that is my issue-i am hungry, i eat decently-there is always room for improvement. but i have plateaued on my weight. i know the basic formula-workout more and eat less should equal weight loss. but sometimes i can fast for three days and still gain 5 pounds. so for the past month or so i have stopped weighing myself out of frustration. running has helped me lose 50 lbs, so i know to keep at it and possibly up the tempo and distance. have a great day everyone.

When I lost my 60 lbs. I did it strictly on eating differently, better and going to Weight Watchers.  I still go to meetings.  I wasn't ready to begin exercising and at the time exercise was just another goal area that I wasn't willing to risk failure at; losing the weight and sticking to that was enough.  I have since changed my tune and don't use the word exercise, but use the work train (for me it means my efforts are going toward some type of race that I have set a goal for).  For me it is working.  If I'd stop eating out so much I probably be doing much better on my weight. 
2009-12-30 5:41 PM

User image

Expert
Spleen-I'm intriqued by your screen name and photo...What's the story behind them, if you don't mind sharing.

I didn't feel up for a run today, with this respiratory stuff I've got going on. So, I hopped on the trainer for 40 minutes when I got home.

If I get a good night sleep, I'll head to the Y before work tomorrow, for a run.
2009-12-30 7:59 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
I'm definitely not very knowledgeable about weight control.  (Well, I know how to put it on...)  I will say this: one thing that motivates me to eat better was the connection between eating better and training/racing better.   There is an undeniable connection.  When I eat better, I'm able to trainer harder, recover faster, and race better.  As Brian said, actually establishing a goal race or two does wonders.  Suddenly it makes one care a lot more about training better, and that makes eating better easier.

So...let's hear it.  What are our race goals for this year?  I'll go first, and try to overcome my fear of announcing goals in advance....  I have two 'A' races for this coming year, a half-ironman in May, and another in October.  My major goal for May is to hit sub 5 hours.  (I always have two 'backup goals'.  My first backup goal for that race is to do the run in under 1:40.  My second is to have fun!)  I'm reserving judgment for goals for the second race until I see how things go in the first.

Anyone else care to share race-goals for this year?  We're all at different stages, here, so it can be anything from 'not crash on the bike' to 'complete my first triathlon' to 'qualify for Kona'!  Maybe, just maybe, saying it 'out loud' will make it more real, and help us all with our weight goals.

2009-12-30 8:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
I have 2 general and one specific...

I've only run one 1/2 mary.  My second will be in May.  My first was done in 1:58:35 on a VERY flat course (PDR).  I want to break 1:50 in May.  I'm running the 1/2 at the Delaware Marathon in Wilmington.

My first HIM will be in October.  I want to finish strong.  I don't have a time goal in mind - will probably be in the 6 hour range, which is okay.  I just don't want to be limping across the finish line.  I want to finish STRONG!

I want to SHATTER my 5K pr.  Officially it's 25:35, but only because they marked my last race short and it wound up being 2.9 instead of 3.1.  BUT I did do better than 8 minute miles for that race.  I want to break 23 by the end of 2010.

Scout
2009-12-30 8:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis

I agree with what has been stated so far. Losing weight does not motivate me. "Exercise" motivates me even less. Forgetting about weight loss and focusing on "training" has helped me go from 298 to 245 as of today. So, I will jump in with my modest goals for 2010.

St. Louis 1/2 marathon in April (Goal is to finish without walking)
2 Sprints (finishing under 2 hours)

I have not target, which sprints, because my son's volleyball tourney schedule is influx based on his team’s national seating. Once I get a handle on that, it’s signup time.

2009-12-30 9:01 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Awesome!  Those are great goals.  Keep 'em coming!
2009-12-30 9:03 PM
in reply to: #2585248

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Did those serious intervals today that Michael and Scout have been mentioning.  Wow... I am really sore tonight... I think in a good way, but we'll see tomorrow.  Did a hard 5K and then about 2 miles of intervals alternating 6:40/10:00 pace.  When I put the machine up to 9, I honestly didn't think I'd be able to do, let alone keep, that pace, but I found that I could... which shocked the heck out of me... but could not do any faster or farther (1/10mi).  Even now, I'm looking at that 6:40 and going no way.

Thanks to those who have sent the weight and other goals thus far... I was not happy with the scale at the gym today.  I'm hoping that it is a temporary fluctuation that will be down on the 1st, otherwise I will have to be more aggressive with my weight goal.  Thanks... it will be good to work on those together :-)

Not yet ready on the race goals.  My BIL left a list of 13 tris to consider doing with him... added to the 10 or so I was looking at.  A bit overwhelming.  Right now, all I want to do is get through Jan 17th without my training slipping or weight going up.  Definitely have a short-term, nose to the grindstone view of things for the moment.

Yes, do explain your name Spleen... and while we're at it, what's Experior?

Have a great evening/day everyone!
-Stu

2009-12-30 9:08 PM
in reply to: #2585361

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
juneapple - 2009-12-30 10:03 PM Did those serious intervals today that Michael and Scout have been mentioning.  Wow... I am really sore tonight... I think in a good way, but we'll see tomorrow.  Did a hard 5K and then about 2 miles of intervals alternating 6:40/10:00 pace.  When I put the machine up to 9, I honestly didn't think I'd be able to do, let alone keep, that pace, but I found that I could... which shocked the heck out of me... but could not do any faster or farther (1/10mi).  Even now, I'm looking at that 6:40 and going no way.

Oh, wow, that's is so awesome that I just literally laughed out loud.  That sounds like a true break-through workout to me.  Don't do it too often, though! Yes, you will feel it tomorrow.  Surprised

... and while we're at it, what's Experior?

Latin for 'to try'.  Nobody ever accused me of not being a geek....

2009-12-30 9:15 PM
in reply to: #2585377

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia

... and while we're at it, what's Experior?

Latin for 'to try'.  Nobody ever accused me of not being a geek....

LOVE IT!  (but note that I have a geek streak as well)
2009-12-30 9:58 PM

User image

Regular
Redlands, CA
My #1 goal for 2010 is to finish IMAZ, 16:59:59 would be just fine with me.  First I have to make it out of the water, I am  terrified to even jump into the "washing machine", after that it's just making all the cut-off times, I am seriously slow, but determined.  I'm home now, training starts tomorrow.  (Also very afraid to step on the scale, looking forward to undoing what I foolishly did during the holidays)
Melinda
2009-12-30 10:12 PM
in reply to: #2585501

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
grannygear - 2009-12-30 10:58 PM My #1 goal for 2010 is to finish IMAZ, 16:59:59 would be just fine with me.  First I have to make it out of the water, I am  terrified to even jump into the "washing machine", after that it's just making all the cut-off times, I am seriously slow, but determined.  I'm home now, training starts tomorrow.  (Also very afraid to step on the scale, looking forward to undoing what I foolishly did during the holidays)
Melinda

I think most of us are in the same boat.

I hope this makes you feel better:  When I signed up for IMKY I literally could not swim more than 200m without a break to gasp and splutter for a while.  At the race, I did not do the swim fast by anybody's definition, but I did come out of the water feeling good.  That was due to a lot a swimming in the meantime.  So get out there and do the swimming and you will get through it just fine!
2009-12-30 10:32 PM

User image

Expert
Great goals!
I have a few for 2010. I want to redo the 4 mile "Running of the Green" race in March, and get a better time than last year.
I want to repeat the Northern Columbia Tri, and break 2 hours. It's a long hard bike and a 4.5 mile run, so I think I'll follow an oly training plan to prepare for it.
For the past 2 years, I've done a "Home Tri" essentially, my husband and I did the first one when a race we had been planning for all that summer was cancelled due to a hurricane. So, we created a course at home, and raced each other. In 2009 I organized it as a "virtual tri" that coupled as a fund raiser for cancer research. I'd like to do a 3rd annual, and increase the fund raising factor.
I want to run my first 10k. Every time I get close to that distance, I injure my foot. I want 2010 to be the year I do it!
There are 3 other area races I'm considering, but they're all late in the season, so I have time to choose.
Non Tri related- I'm developing a running program for the local chapter of Girls Inc. We start in January, and by the end of the program, the girls will be ready to run a 5K. I want the program to be successful,, and for the girls involved to have a great time!
2009-12-31 8:42 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Good morning everyone.  How are we all doing?  Well, I know from your blogs and this thread that many of us are sick.  It's
basically a snot festival here at my house, and I'm leading the parade.  Fortunately, nothing worse.

I hope those who are a bit under the weather can pull out of it soon.

And have a great New Year's Eve everyone.  It's a blue moon tonight.  Do something unusual!

2009-12-31 10:32 AM
in reply to: #2585355

User image

Expert
Salem
Experior - 2009-12-30 7:01 PM Awesome!  Those are great goals.  Keep 'em coming!

Ok let's try this again.  I did this last night, but realized I somehow lost connection and tried to post and nothing went out. 

Goals:

1.  Participate in an Open Water Swim  (OWS) Only Event in May (2000 yds) just to experience the length, get a sense of what it takes to do this in length OWS, and do an OWS w/o having to worry about the bike and run as well.

2.  Compete in 3 Sprints (June, July and August);  June Sprint I want to decrease overall time and place in top half of my AG.  See decrease splits in Bike leg (36 min.) and Run leg - 5K (25 min).

3.  I may do a Sprint at the local university which is a pool swim to see where I am at and if I need to reevaluate my run and bike goals.

3.  July and August are the same race venue different races.  Hilly bike route.  44 min. bike leg minutes in last year's sprint.  Want to be at 38 min. or less.

4.  Participate in an Olympic Distance event in late Sept.  Goals are to finish, enjoy the day, experience the distance and evaluate my needs regarding this distance for 2011 tri season.  Most of my goals will be set towards preparation and training for this distance.

5.  Get to Race weight of 190.

6.  Read the Book I wrote about earlier Race Weight:  How to Get Lean for Peak Performance.

Happy New Year's everyone.
2009-12-31 11:53 AM

User image

Veteran
DC
Hey gang,

Well I'm happy to report that I had a 'breakthrough' of my own last night:  I stayed up past 9pm and even drank a beer!  I'm finally getting back on my feet.

I am easing back into training with some long walks this weekend and by midweek I'll probably hit the pool.  By late next week I'll be back into training again.  I can't wait...I feel like a marshmallow after 2 weeks of inactivity. 

Happy New Year to all, and enjoy the blue moon this evening!  That's a rare treat.  May 2010 bring everyone good health and personal success.

Here is my triathlon goal for 2010:
-->  Break 5 hours in the Racine 70.3

2009-12-31 12:44 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Great goals Brian.

Hurrah that Mike is on the mend!  Glad your back in the land of the living.
2009-12-31 12:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
Ok, here's my goals for 2010:

3 tri's, 2 sprints and Oly
2 du's
various 5k's and a 10k
century ride

Was supposed to start the year with a "hangover" 5k tomorrow but the weather's not cooperating. Wife bought tix for Avatar in IMAX instead.

Happy New Year everybody and stay safe!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 46