in reply to: #2657983

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Hugs - February Challenge
ashort33 - 2010-02-05 7:35 PM

ebshot - 2010-02-05 5:20 PM
ashort33 - 2010-02-05 6:01 PM

Four miles done...  Lunch was turkey and goat cheese on homemade foccacia with homemade olive relish, mustard, and sliced pepperoncinis....  A spinach salad with balsamic vinegar dressing (very light on oil), cherry tomatoes, and shredded carrots.  Oh yeah, and peach yogurt for dessert....

Bike run brick....

Share your foccacia recipe?

Sure....  2 3/4 cups water, 1/4 cup EV olive oil, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 1/2 tbsp yeast, 1 1/2 tbsp kosher salt  6 1/2 cups flour - mix the first 5 items together and then add the flour, stir or use dough hook to mix.  Set aside and let rise for 2 hours.  Cover well with a nearly airtight cover and refrigerate overnight and up to 10-12 days.

Remove from refrigerator, dust top of dough with flour.  Take approximately 1 - 1 1/2 lbs of dough (the batch usually makes three loaves for me) - form quickly into a ball by stretching the sides and tucking them under.  Form the ball into an oblong loaf and either hand press or roll it out to be about 1/2 thick (I usually have to let it rest once for a couple of minutes).  Put on a cookie sheet either on parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.  Brush top lightly with some EV olive oil.  I season it with a heavy pinch of kosher salt, several grinds of fresh ground black pepper, some granualted garlic and some of the store bought Italian seasoning.  (I have also used sauteed onions and fresh rosemary, but that is better for an app than a sandwich.) Let rest for 20 minutes.  Preheat oven to 425.  Put a metal baking dish on the bottom rack of the oven - it needs to be deep enough to hold 1 cup of water.  A 13 x 9 dish or would work.  Put the bread in the oven on a middle (or mid-top) rack, pour 1 cup of water into the bottom pan, close oven door.  Cook for 25 minutes.  I usually set the timer for 20 minutes and then check the browning.  It it is a good golden color, I will put a piece of foil over the top to stop the bread from browning more...  Try to not eat it all in sitting - but I warn you it is very tasty straight out of the oven....

BTW - the dough makes a great pizza dough as well...

I know what I am doing tomorrow!

2010-02-05 7:21 PM
in reply to: #2658048

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

ebshot - 2010-02-05 7:17 PM
ashort33 - 2010-02-05 7:35 PM

ebshot - 2010-02-05 5:20 PM
ashort33 - 2010-02-05 6:01 PM

Four miles done...  Lunch was turkey and goat cheese on homemade foccacia with homemade olive relish, mustard, and sliced pepperoncinis....  A spinach salad with balsamic vinegar dressing (very light on oil), cherry tomatoes, and shredded carrots.  Oh yeah, and peach yogurt for dessert....

Bike run brick....

Share your foccacia recipe?

Sure....  2 3/4 cups water, 1/4 cup EV olive oil, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 1/2 tbsp yeast, 1 1/2 tbsp kosher salt  6 1/2 cups flour - mix the first 5 items together and then add the flour, stir or use dough hook to mix.  Set aside and let rise for 2 hours.  Cover well with a nearly airtight cover and refrigerate overnight and up to 10-12 days.

Remove from refrigerator, dust top of dough with flour.  Take approximately 1 - 1 1/2 lbs of dough (the batch usually makes three loaves for me) - form quickly into a ball by stretching the sides and tucking them under.  Form the ball into an oblong loaf and either hand press or roll it out to be about 1/2 thick (I usually have to let it rest once for a couple of minutes).  Put on a cookie sheet either on parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.  Brush top lightly with some EV olive oil.  I season it with a heavy pinch of kosher salt, several grinds of fresh ground black pepper, some granualted garlic and some of the store bought Italian seasoning.  (I have also used sauteed onions and fresh rosemary, but that is better for an app than a sandwich.) Let rest for 20 minutes.  Preheat oven to 425.  Put a metal baking dish on the bottom rack of the oven - it needs to be deep enough to hold 1 cup of water.  A 13 x 9 dish or would work.  Put the bread in the oven on a middle (or mid-top) rack, pour 1 cup of water into the bottom pan, close oven door.  Cook for 25 minutes.  I usually set the timer for 20 minutes and then check the browning.  It it is a good golden color, I will put a piece of foil over the top to stop the bread from browning more...  Try to not eat it all in sitting - but I warn you it is very tasty straight out of the oven....

BTW - the dough makes a great pizza dough as well...

I know what I am doing tomorrow!

The great thing is you make the dough one day and then for 5-10 minutes of work each day, you get fresh bread on three days!  I loves me some fresh bread...

Edited by ashort33 2010-02-05 7:21 PM
2010-02-05 9:10 PM
in reply to: #2658052

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Dear Wine-oholics,

I just had *maybe* 2 oz of red wine. My face went numb. (I am such a lightweight. LOL)

On the other hand, I'm finding a lot of things *very* funny. Maybe I should drink more often.

At this rate, I could get drunk every night, and that bottle will STILL last for a month. :P

2010-02-05 9:29 PM
in reply to: #2658210

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
D001 - 2010-02-05 10:10 PM Dear Wine-oholics, I just had *maybe* 2 oz of red wine. My face went numb. (I am such a lightweight. LOL) On the other hand, I'm finding a lot of things *very* funny. Maybe I should drink more often. At this rate, I could get drunk every night, and that bottle will STILL last for a month. :P

Dee... you're a cheap date!!!
2010-02-05 10:29 PM
in reply to: #2644663

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Hi Hugs,

Man, I missed wine, bread, all kinds of good stuff! Took the day off today...woke up feeling...heavy...you know? Two days ago I swam and yoga'd and the yoga killed my legs (?!?). I knew I was going to run no matter what yesterday, and I did knock out about 6, but that's all I had in me for the next 24 hours!

Anyway, Bill, hope your wife feels better...was she taking Benadryl at all? If i take it more than twice I tend to get vertigo. I have just gotten over a sinus infection too, what a PITA!

Hope everyone who was having crummy days survived. I felt really hinky all day, and had to do a bunch of grocery shopping with the baby, and then the baby was a total crankpot all afternoon! So I was pretty bummed, but then, my Hubby and I had a great talk before he went to work (he's on nights right now, poor dear) and I am feeling much more optimistic about life. Funny how things can turn on a dime like that...well, anyway, my point is, hope everyone who is having a hard time gets a mental break like I did tonight!

Cheers,
hoping for a spin and a swim tomorrow, yay!
Q

2010-02-06 7:21 AM
in reply to: #2658210

User image

Elite
Connecticut
D001 - 2010-02-05 10:10 PM Dear Wine-oholics, I just had *maybe* 2 oz of red wine. My face went numb. (I am such a lightweight. LOL) On the other hand, I'm finding a lot of things *very* funny. Maybe I should drink more often. At this rate, I could get drunk every night, and that bottle will STILL last for a month. :P

Mmmmm, wine.  You will all find this shocking I'm sure but I haven't had wine in months!   I have been drinking different beers.  I miss wine.  I'll have to get some today.

2010-02-06 7:22 AM
in reply to: #2658290

User image

Elite
Connecticut
quincyf - 2010-02-05 11:29 PM Hi Hugs, Man, I missed wine, bread, all kinds of good stuff! Took the day off today...woke up feeling...heavy...you know? Two days ago I swam and yoga'd and the yoga killed my legs (?!?). I knew I was going to run no matter what yesterday, and I did knock out about 6, but that's all I had in me for the next 24 hours! Anyway, Bill, hope your wife feels better...was she taking Benadryl at all? If i take it more than twice I tend to get vertigo. I have just gotten over a sinus infection too, what a PITA! Hope everyone who was having crummy days survived. I felt really hinky all day, and had to do a bunch of grocery shopping with the baby, and then the baby was a total crankpot all afternoon! So I was pretty bummed, but then, my Hubby and I had a great talk before he went to work (he's on nights right now, poor dear) and I am feeling much more optimistic about life. Funny how things can turn on a dime like that...well, anyway, my point is, hope everyone who is having a hard time gets a mental break like I did tonight! Cheers, hoping for a spin and a swim tomorrow, yay! Q

That is NEVER good.  I remember those days when I had to take all three of my kids with me.  Cole would miss behave SO BADLY I would go home and cry.  It was horrible.  Even now (at 8,6,5) I don't take them all if I can help it. 
2010-02-06 7:24 AM

User image

Elite
Connecticut
I am either taking a rest day or running 3 miles.  I haven't decided yet.  I'm sure I'll SUIB and run, it's only three miles and tomorrow is a rest day for running.
2010-02-06 10:06 AM
in reply to: #2658290

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
quincyf - 2010-02-05 10:29 PM I felt really hinky all day, and had to do a bunch of grocery shopping with the baby, and then the baby was a total crankpot all afternoon!

Had to look up 'hinky' in the Urban Dictionary.  I must be getting old.
2010-02-06 10:09 AM
in reply to: #2658411

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
ebshot - 2010-02-06 7:24 AM I am either taking a rest day or running 3 miles.  I haven't decided yet.  I'm sure I'll SUIB and run, it's only three miles and tomorrow is a rest day for running.

I think I tried to ramp up my training too quickly (from coming off a VERY poor off-season).  Feeling intense pain in my knee from too many hard (hill) workouts on the bike.

I may need to adjust my bike and run goals.  I'll let you know after today. 
2010-02-06 2:08 PM
in reply to: #2658410

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
ebshot - 2010-02-06 7:22 AM

quincyf - 2010-02-05 11:29 PM Hi Hugs, Man, I missed wine, bread, all kinds of good stuff! Took the day off today...woke up feeling...heavy...you know? Two days ago I swam and yoga'd and the yoga killed my legs (?!?). I knew I was going to run no matter what yesterday, and I did knock out about 6, but that's all I had in me for the next 24 hours! Anyway, Bill, hope your wife feels better...was she taking Benadryl at all? If i take it more than twice I tend to get vertigo. I have just gotten over a sinus infection too, what a PITA! Hope everyone who was having crummy days survived. I felt really hinky all day, and had to do a bunch of grocery shopping with the baby, and then the baby was a total crankpot all afternoon! So I was pretty bummed, but then, my Hubby and I had a great talk before he went to work (he's on nights right now, poor dear) and I am feeling much more optimistic about life. Funny how things can turn on a dime like that...well, anyway, my point is, hope everyone who is having a hard time gets a mental break like I did tonight! Cheers, hoping for a spin and a swim tomorrow, yay! Q

That is NEVER good.  I remember those days when I had to take all three of my kids with me.  Cole would miss behave SO BADLY I would go home and cry.  It was horrible.  Even now (at 8,6,5) I don't take them all if I can help it. 

Haha...I actually told my husband I was never going to COSTCO again after a particularly bad visit. I certainly understand the screaming mommies in the grocery store now...it's worth it to run to the local grocery for an item or two to tide us over so I DON'T have to take the little sweethearts!

2010-02-06 2:13 PM
in reply to: #2658555

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
sparco - 2010-02-06 10:06 AM

quincyf - 2010-02-05 10:29 PM I felt really hinky all day, and had to do a bunch of grocery shopping with the baby, and then the baby was a total crankpot all afternoon!

Had to look up 'hinky' in the Urban Dictionary.  I must be getting old.

Whew, I just checked to make sure the UD didn't have the definition as something else (making me look like a bigger doofus than usual)...I trust you figured out crankpot?!? It's kind of self-explanatory I guess...

And I am 40...you look pretty good for being so much older and more decrepit than me!!! haha...
2010-02-06 2:15 PM
in reply to: #2658410

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
ebshot - 2010-02-06 7:22 AM

Erica, I just had to add that I could never take 3 kids grocery shopping...I am pretty sure I would lose one. I am in awe!
2010-02-06 2:28 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: Becoming a Cyclist
So, I got my spin and some core work in, but the swim was a bust...more in my log. S'ok, I am cool with it. The spin class was really good, and I feel like all the spinning is getting me ready for actual, you know, biking! My bike is all put together (my brother hooked me up with an old LeMond with nice campy parts). I just need to adjust it a bit and figure out clothing for cold weather and I'll be out for a spin, probably early next week.

Just a bit of background, I come from a family of MAJOR BIKE FREAKS. My father and uncle were on the pan american team (years ago) and everyone bikes hundreds of miles on all sorts of bikes. My cousin works in a LBS and my brother is car-free in Albuquerque. My uncle is like, 150 years old and wins all the bike races he enters (age group anyway) out in Cali.

I haven't had a road bike since I was a teenager and I gave up my crappy old MTB when I moved to Chicago in 2001. I was always afraid to ride around here. Stupid, I know, but I just wasn't into it. So anyway, I am the black sheep, disappointment to my bike freak family. So last year I went through a major midlife/job loss/post partum crisis and decided I wanted to do a triathlon.

I muddled through the swim and borrowed a girlfriends road bike for the bike portion. And had a major aha moment about how much fun it was. So I guess what I am trying to share with you is that ever since then, I have been working towards getting set up to ride and race because I loved it so much, but have been trying to do it on a budget and keeping in mind that I am a beginner and need to work my way up to super nice gear after I get some races under my belt. And I am so proud of my new bike and can't wait to ride it!

I need some kind of gloves (suggestions?) and bike pants (suggestions?) and I think I can figure the rest out.

Well, thanks for reading my rambling post...just had to share about my new biking life!!! Yay!!!

Q

(and yes, my family is happy to have me back in the fold)
2010-02-06 3:57 PM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Sounds like you have a lot of family support Q! How great.  I am sure you are going to have a great tri season in 2010.

I am just looking for a tribike this year.  I am riding my 10 yr old semi-road bike.  It will be fun to try riding on something a little faster....I just hope I AM faster!
2010-02-06 4:02 PM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
So today was a major HTFU workout for me.  I got in just over 12 miles in the 20 degree windy cold.  HAving some issues with spasm in my right glut.  It was wicked tight on Thursday after spin class.  I think we did a lot of glut stuff with the trainer on Tue and Thurs this week too.  It bothered me the entire run today.  Hoping to get it foam rolled or otherwise fixed this week.  I hate having issues.  I just like to go and not worry about things.....

2010-02-06 5:47 PM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach

I have been shopping all day with my teenage daughter.  I need to go for a 4-5 mile slow run, but I figured I would go when we got home later.  Now we are finally homeand I have some time to run before I need to help her get ready for her Winter Formal and it just started DUMPING rain.  What the heck?  It was nice all day.  To you tough athletes out there I know you run in rain, sleet, and snow.  However, I am a sun-worshiping So. Cal girl that doesn't see rain too often.  CRAP!  I don't think I would mind running in light rain but it is pouring.  What the heck am I supposed to wear out there?

Q-How exciting!  Thanks for sharing!!!

2010-02-06 5:48 PM
in reply to: #2658930

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
KOM - 2010-02-06 2:02 PM So today was a major HTFU workout for me.  I got in just over 12 miles in the 20 degree windy cold.  HAving some issues with spasm in my right glut.  It was wicked tight on Thursday after spin class.  I think we did a lot of glut stuff with the trainer on Tue and Thurs this week too.  It bothered me the entire run today.  Hoping to get it foam rolled or otherwise fixed this week.  I hate having issues.  I just like to go and not worry about things.....

Way to tough it out!  Good job!
2010-02-06 6:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Requesting to be removed from the challenge this month.  I have not been able to walk this past week.  I still have another week till my dr appt on friday the 13th.  so i will be effictvaly out for 2 of the 4 weeks this month and that is not fair for the team.  thanks guys.
2010-02-06 6:24 PM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Tough week, Kathy.  Great 12+ mile run with the sore glute.  Well done!

So, about today... We got 2 feet of snow, but it was too freaking cold to go out and play in the snow.  We tried, but the wind was blowing and we lasted all of about 10 minutes.  So the kids are literally BOUNCING OFF THE WALLS (and eachother).  Don't get me wrong, we had a fun day, but there was a serious outbreak of cabin fever.  So I took a chance and called the 13 year old girl that lives up the street... figured all her cheerleading, dance, soccer, etc. had to be cancelled for the day.  So she comes down and basically commandeers the kids for 2+ hours so my wife and I can cook, clean, work out, etc.  What a God-send.  We normally pay her 5 bucks an hour for being a "mother's helper".  I think I handed her $40 as she was walking out the door.  Best money I ever spent.   After that, the kids were worn out... 2 of them are asleep already and one is hanging on by a thread.  Have a great night, H.U.G.S.!!!

GO SAINTS!
2010-02-06 9:12 PM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
I did it!  Put a ziplock bag around my watch and my husband's poncho on and headed out.  Pretty darn fun!  By the time I had gone a mile the rain stopped and a HUGE rainbow decorated the sky.  So great! 

2010-02-06 9:22 PM
in reply to: #2659315

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
akrenik - 2010-02-06 10:12 PM I did it!  Put a ziplock bag around my watch and my husband's poncho on and headed out.  Pretty darn fun!  By the time I had gone a mile the rain stopped and a HUGE rainbow decorated the sky.  So great! 
Great work!!  Shopping with teenagers always takes longer than planned.  Nice work getting your run in!
2010-02-06 9:24 PM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Can someone explain to me in layman's terms how to upload a picture onto this site?!?!  I've tried so many times and every time I try, it says the file is too large.  So I went to the FAQ and it said to download something called IrfanView.net, which I did and did a bunch of "save as" stuff through this webpage (saving pictures in what I thought was "lo res".  So I went to upload one of these new "Lo Res" pictures and it said the file was too large.  WTF. 
2010-02-06 9:26 PM
in reply to: #2659099

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
billsorg - 2010-02-06 7:24 PM Tough week, Kathy.  Great 12+ mile run with the sore glute.  Well done!

So, about today... We got 2 feet of snow, but it was too freaking cold to go out and play in the snow.  We tried, but the wind was blowing and we lasted all of about 10 minutes.  So the kids are literally BOUNCING OFF THE WALLS (and eachother).  Don't get me wrong, we had a fun day, but there was a serious outbreak of cabin fever.  So I took a chance and called the 13 year old girl that lives up the street... figured all her cheerleading, dance, soccer, etc. had to be cancelled for the day.  So she comes down and basically commandeers the kids for 2+ hours so my wife and I can cook, clean, work out, etc.  What a God-send.  We normally pay her 5 bucks an hour for being a "mother's helper".  I think I handed her $40 as she was walking out the door.  Best money I ever spent.   After that, the kids were worn out... 2 of them are asleep already and one is hanging on by a thread.  Have a great night, H.U.G.S.!!!

GO SAINTS!

Very smart move with the wear them out strategy! We used to have a small climber/slide in our living room when we lived in Minnesota.  Kids need to move or they get nutsy!  Bet that 13 yo was grinning when she saw her pay for the day!!!
2010-02-06 11:02 PM
in reply to: #2659331

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
billsorg - 2010-02-06 7:24 PM Can someone explain to me in layman's terms how to upload a picture onto this site?!?!  I've tried so many times and every time I try, it says the file is too large.  So I went to the FAQ and it said to download something called IrfanView.net, which I did and did a bunch of "save as" stuff through this webpage (saving pictures in what I thought was "lo res".  So I went to upload one of these new "Lo Res" pictures and it said the file was too large.  WTF. 

I had to do it too.  I can't remember how I did, but I just followed the directions on the FAQ page.
New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » Hugs - February Challenge Rss Feed  

of 27