BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's Spring-into-action 2011 mentor group -- Full Up & Ready to go! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2011-02-09 6:53 PM
in reply to: #3344372

User image

Veteran
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: jsnowash's Spring-into-action 2011 mentor group -- Full Up & Ready to go!
jsnowash - 2011-02-08 6:07 AM

You can only do what you can do.... I actually really enjoy running outdoors when it's cold out. If you dress properly, it's not a problem. If you have access to some roads or sidewalks that are cleared enough of snow, try to get some outdoor running in if you can...

The best option would be to use "spinner" type bikes, and try to set up your position as closely as possible to your own bike set-up. This will give you the best simulated road riding.... The electronic lifestyle-type bikes you often find on gym floors don't match "real" bike geometry very well, so they won't give as much training benefit as the spinners, but if it's all you have access to, it's better than nothing! If you're pretty sure you're going to stick with triathlon, you could also consider investing in an indoor bike trainer like one of these, that way you can train indoors on your own bike!

When the high for the day is in the negatives and the windchill is hanging around -30 I tend to want to stay inside for my workouts and that is what the weather has been like around here since forever ago it seems.

I am really thinking that next winter I will get one of the indoor resistance trainers for my own bike.  All I have access to at my gym is the lifestyle bikes and the recumbent bikes and neither of these really matches my bike geometry very well.  I currently have a Trek 520 road bike that I will be using for my triathlons and I don't see myself upgrading very soon but we will see once I get race under my belt.

Marcus

2011-02-10 5:42 AM
in reply to: #3347869

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Subject: RE: jsnowash's Spring-into-action 2011 mentor group -- Full Up & Ready to go!
mn_av8or - 2011-02-09 7:53 PM

jsnowash - 2011-02-08 6:07 AM

You can only do what you can do.... I actually really enjoy running outdoors when it's cold out. If you dress properly, it's not a problem. If you have access to some roads or sidewalks that are cleared enough of snow, try to get some outdoor running in if you can...

The best option would be to use "spinner" type bikes, and try to set up your position as closely as possible to your own bike set-up. This will give you the best simulated road riding.... The electronic lifestyle-type bikes you often find on gym floors don't match "real" bike geometry very well, so they won't give as much training benefit as the spinners, but if it's all you have access to, it's better than nothing! If you're pretty sure you're going to stick with triathlon, you could also consider investing in an indoor bike trainer like one of these, that way you can train indoors on your own bike!

When the high for the day is in the negatives and the windchill is hanging around -30 I tend to want to stay inside for my workouts and that is what the weather has been like around here since forever ago it seems.

I am really thinking that next winter I will get one of the indoor resistance trainers for my own bike.  All I have access to at my gym is the lifestyle bikes and the recumbent bikes and neither of these really matches my bike geometry very well.  I currently have a Trek 520 road bike that I will be using for my triathlons and I don't see myself upgrading very soon but we will see once I get race under my belt.

Marcus

YIKES!!! Wow - That's COLD!! I'd be indoors, too!!! As far as your bike training, for now use the Lifestyle bikes. Set them for a resistance that feels natural (not so little that you can spin your legs really fast without much effort, not so much that you really need to mash the pedals to move them around), and just get on and ride by time. Don't pay any attention to anything the computer display shows you regarding distance or speed... the distances they display are simply based on rpms. In other words, the faster you spin the pedals, the more distance it will show you have covered. So you could get on with no resistance and spin at 100 rpm and it would show you went further faster than someone sitting on the bike next to you pushing a heavier resistance at 85 - 90 rpm, which isn't how it works on a real bike...
2011-02-10 5:50 AM
in reply to: #3347645

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
mikefogg - 2011-02-09 5:00 PM

Last night was my second pool workout - which was much better than my first last week.   After reading alot of your comments, I decided to do my whole 20 min workout (except the warmup and cooldown) with one of those pull bouys.  It looked like a dumbell made out of foam.  I figured that the bike and the run are so focuused on the legs and the swim mostly on the arms that this wouldn't hurt to always do it this way. What do you think?

After a few laps I started the bilateral breathing - which is really tough for me once I get tired.

I seriously felt my arms workin and I started to sweat!  It was a great feeling! I can remember the high school days when we did such incredible swim workouts that we would be sweating and sometimes puking while in cool water  a real trip!

Once I got out of the pool my biceps and a little of my triceps felt so much bigger and stronger.  Awesome!  Even today I still feel stronger but not weak.

Today I'm headin out for a 35 min bike.

Mike

Thanx for your awesome wisdom and advice!

Nice job, Mike!

A few thoughts on your swimming.... First, I'm glad you were able to try out the pull bouy. Just don't let it become a crutch for you! It's best if you can limit it's use to a few laps per workout. Using the pull bouy all the time can mask flaws you might have in your swim stroke - and the more you can improve your form, the better off you'll be in the long run! Second, I wouldn't worry about bilateral breathing... Unless you're moving pretty fast, bilateral breathing means you end up limiting how frequently you can breath - and you wouldn't do that when you run or bike, would you? I DO think it's good to get comfortable breathing to either side when you swim, but I prefer breathing every stroke. What I do to make sure I work breathing on both sides is to breathe to one side on the way down the pool, and to the other side on the way back.

How did that 35 mile bike go??
2011-02-10 7:27 AM
in reply to: #3269333

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

As long as we are on the subject of swimming.....

Jenny, you mentioned breathing every stroke.  Does that vary from person to person or is that more the norm for Tri swimming?  I usually do every 3rd (R,L,R, breath on L), and occasionally force myself to do bilateral, but haven't done it enough to make it feel natural/good.

When pool swimming, do you push off the wall at all?

I really haven't given much thought to the open water since my first (and only thus far) tri was a pool swim, so it's good (but scary) to read all the comments about that.

Trying to decide between a TM run and an outside run this morning.  It's 16 degrees outside, but I guess some of you would consider that balmy.  Not much wind...& I think/hope most of the ice is gone from the sidewalks. 

2011-02-10 7:59 AM

User image

Veteran
I'll throw my two cents in about breathing while swimming.  First of all, I can do bilateral breathing, but I don't like to.  I forced myself to learn so that in the event that I'm in a race where the chop/wind/whatever is coming from my usual side, I have an option other than doggie paddling.  From that perspective, I really like Jenny's idea of breathing to one side on the way down and the other on the way back.  I think I will try that once I wander back to the pool after this marathon is over.

When I am swimming normally (as opposed to trying to bilaterally breathe), I breathe what I call every stroke to the right (so stroke R, stroke L, breathe).  To me, what squirt described would be breathing every 2nd stroke which to me isn't enough air for a distance event. 

Keep up the good work everybody.
2011-02-10 8:40 AM
in reply to: #3348282

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
squirt - 2011-02-10 8:27 AM

As long as we are on the subject of swimming.....

Jenny, you mentioned breathing every stroke.  Does that vary from person to person or is that more the norm for Tri swimming?  I usually do every 3rd (R,L,R, breath on L), and occasionally force myself to do bilateral, but haven't done it enough to make it feel natural/good.

When pool swimming, do you push off the wall at all?

I really haven't given much thought to the open water since my first (and only thus far) tri was a pool swim, so it's good (but scary) to read all the comments about that.

Trying to decide between a TM run and an outside run this morning.  It's 16 degrees outside, but I guess some of you would consider that balmy.  Not much wind...& I think/hope most of the ice is gone from the sidewalks. 

I can't proclaim any kind of expert status on tri swimming.... of the three legs, it's probably the one I'm least knowledgeable about, so hopefully some of the folks with more swimming background will chime in here as well.

I really do think it is by and large a personal preference thing. As long as you are not getting to your next breath feeling like you're gasping for air, then you're probably fine doing what you're doing. For me, I feel like I need to breathe more often....

As far as pushing off the wall, you'll hear different opinions on this... some strongly support the use of flip turns in training, some say open turns are fine, some say it's okay to push off the wall, others prefer not to.... Personally, I don't think it matters all that much. In my own swim training I do open turns, with a bit of a push off at the wall. It hasn't seemed to hurt me any

Have a good run! I'll be heading out for a run myself in the next little bit....

Jenny

2011-02-10 8:44 AM
in reply to: #3348329

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
tribeagle - 2011-02-10 8:59 AM

I'll throw my two cents in about breathing while swimming.  First of all, I can do bilateral breathing, but I don't like to.  I forced myself to learn so that in the event that I'm in a race where the chop/wind/whatever is coming from my usual side, I have an option other than doggie paddling.  From that perspective, I really like Jenny's idea of breathing to one side on the way down and the other on the way back.  I think I will try that once I wander back to the pool after this marathon is over.

When I am swimming normally (as opposed to trying to bilaterally breathe), I breathe what I call every stroke to the right (so stroke R, stroke L, breathe).  To me, what squirt described would be breathing every 2nd stroke which to me isn't enough air for a distance event. 

Keep up the good work everybody.

Hah! You sound like me.... Only my marathon was just after Thanksgiving and I'm just now beginning to wander back to the pool!
2011-02-10 2:15 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Blah knew it would happen eventually.  I caught a cold with plenty of junk in my lungs, sore throat, lethergy sigh.  I blew off 3 workouts, got 14 hours of sleep lastnight and decided to be a bum and just hang at home today as I have nothing too important going on at work today.  Fortunately this is a recovery week, now in more ways than one.  I am probably going to drop everything except the runs and do them at a slower pace for the rest of the week, see how it goes. 

Hope others are avoiding the mid winter crud. 
2011-02-10 2:55 PM

User image

@Baowolf So sorry to hear about your dad and your cold. Hang in there! Make sure you give yourself the time you need to recover.
2011-02-11 10:07 AM
in reply to: #3349144

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Baowolf - 2011-02-10 3:15 PM

Blah knew it would happen eventually.  I caught a cold with plenty of junk in my lungs, sore throat, lethergy sigh.  I blew off 3 workouts, got 14 hours of sleep lastnight and decided to be a bum and just hang at home today as I have nothing too important going on at work today.  Fortunately this is a recovery week, now in more ways than one.  I am probably going to drop everything except the runs and do them at a slower pace for the rest of the week, see how it goes. 

Hope others are avoiding the mid winter crud. 

Hope you feel better soon! Rest up a bit and get yourself well!
2011-02-11 10:10 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
So how's everybody doing? Any exciting plans out there for Valentine's Day weekend?

My husband and I have very romantic plans this weekend...... we're going furniture shopping..... aren't you girls jealous ?

Honestly, though, my husband has been SWAMPED at work. We've been trying to buy furniture for 3 months. I've done a lot of looking and narrowed down the options, but he wants to see them before we buy. We literally had to schedule a date to go shopping together! Pretty sad - huh?

Rest day for me today. I teach a spin class tomorrow morning, and will probably do a short swim afterward. Long run on Sunday.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

2011-02-11 12:22 PM

User image

My hubby is in Miami for a conference and my daughter left this morning for Orlando for a Cheer competition, I will be running today and tomorrow swim and bike, after that I need to shop for my wetsuit!
Hubby and I will probably go out Monday for Valentines I bought him tickets to see Kiss as Valentines present, he will be happy!
Ana
2011-02-11 4:10 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Better judgment said u r sick, take it easy on the run today.  But it was my 6x800 race pace day so I did that instead average pace was 6:27 minutes per mile.  It is my barometer of what my actual mary race time could be.  Based on today's run and a perfect storm of fitness, effort and luck, that's a 3:14 mary.  Nap time now. 

Valentines Day is typically not a big deal, I may take my wife out for lunch or dinner or something.  I dislike the comercialization of the whole thing where $2 worth of roses go for $100 etc.  The concept that ya once a year or more often you ought to be nice to your sweety is, well not rocket science, but gouging folks over gilt about having not given enough time to each other during the year is not going to fix anything except the pockets of the industry.  Relationship > Romance.  Ok off my soap box on a female dominated support group.  Now if he chucks the roses and does the dishes for a week, gets a bottle of wine, sends the kids off to the sitters and you have some couple time watching a movie, that I can get behind. 
2011-02-11 9:49 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Yay first 1000 yard continuous swim (albeit slowly) for first time since I broke the collar bone.  And after the speedwork today I got to play with allowing the left foot crap and alternating calf cramps to let go of my muscles as I swam.  This is a much needed skill for long swims in cold water.  Oh well off to spend some time with the wife.
2011-02-12 12:45 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Great going on the swim Baowolf!  And interesting comments re: breathing.  I think I'll try the weak side breathing one way on each lap too.  I swim pretty slow/relaxed, so don't usually feel the need to breathe more frequently.  Perhaps if I'd push it a little more....  Not that I've been in the pool this week.  Just focusing on the runs leading up to 1/2 in 2 wks.  Ran 10 miles this morning with my friend, followed by crepes at a little french bakery in beautiful downtown Grapevine.  It's funny, we hit 10 EXACTLY when we got to the restaurant. 

As for the rest of the weekend, took my stepdad out for a birthday dinner last night, and tomorrow is church and then we're hosting dinner, wine and cards for a few friends in the evening.  Now, if only I can hold off the nap that wants to happen and get the errands done.?
2011-02-12 12:50 PM
in reply to: #3350696

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Ariasx2 - 2011-02-11 12:22 PM Hubby and I will probably go out Monday for Valentines I bought him tickets to see Kiss as Valentines present, he will be happy!
Ana

What a great valentine's day gift!  Bet your hubby will love it.

2011-02-13 3:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Tacoma, Washington
I know there are a couple of people in here from Minnesota and other cold places.  I am in the Twin Cities and wondering where do you go for your open water experience?  My first race is the beginning of June and I would really like to get experience under my belt before the race, plus an excuse to get a swimming wetsuit! Money mouth
2011-02-13 4:30 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

You only probably need a week or 2 max to get used to the open water.  Just get your swim solid now and then get used to swimming in wind chop before your race.  You don't need to cut holes in the ice to get in your open water swim this time of year.  I realy good alternative though is to go to the YMCA when there is only one swim lane open and the rest is family swim... or as I have done even when there is not a swim lane open.  You get the splashing, kids jumping on your head at the end of the pool and bouncing off you oblivious even if you are swimming 4000 yards in the same lane.... same kid gets run over 150 times.  It will also help with your sighting 8). 

2011-02-13 4:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut
FINALLY!!!  A good week training again.  Did a few 3,000 yard swims during the week, a sprint tri friday night and a 4,000 yard swim today!!!  Its about time!  It's amazing how much better you feel when things fall into pace.  Now to ramp up the run and bike a little this week.
2011-02-13 5:11 PM
in reply to: #3353030

User image

Veteran
Tacoma, Washington
Baowolf - 2011-02-13 4:30 PM

You get the splashing, kids jumping on your head at the end of the pool and bouncing off you oblivious even if you are swimming 4000 yards in the same lane.... same kid gets run over 150 times.  It will also help with your sighting 8). 

Haha yeah that is a good idea Baowolf.  The main goal for wanting to do some open water swimming was to get used to swimming in a swimming wetsuit and perhaps try a few out and buy what works for me.

Good to hear your training is going well after that tough week CobraTodd

Edited by mn_av8or 2011-02-13 5:12 PM
2011-02-13 7:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut
Some positive feedback on the YMCA Tri Swim Clinic, today we had a new coach.  Even though it was her first day coaching, it was a huge improvement over just swimming tons of laps.  The drills were a big help.  Although there were so many different ones, it kept the 1.5 hours from getting boring, plus it gave many new things to work on.  I find it amazing how much better a freestyle lap feels after you butcher a few drill laps.  Anyway, the three day-a-week group is turning out to be well worth it.  If you are swimming for an event, and you have a chance to get in with a group, clinic, or any type of peer/formal instructor, I'd highly recommend it.  You can swim 10,000's of yards and never know if you are improving or doing things correctly.  It's not a necessity but it is a huge help.

2011-02-13 7:31 PM
in reply to: #3352988

User image

Regular
Minnesota
mn_av8or - 2011-02-13 3:54 PM I know there are a couple of people in here from Minnesota and other cold places.  I am in the Twin Cities and wondering where do you go for your open water experience?  My first race is the beginning of June and I would really like to get experience under my belt before the race, plus an excuse to get a swimming wetsuit! Money mouth

I live in St Cloud and a bunch of us swim at Warner Lake in Clearwater, right off of 94. It's less than 1 hour from the Twin Cities. The Graniteman Triathlon is held there. Last summer, we swam on Friday mornings starting at 6 am--though some people are there even earlier. Usually the last group starts at 7 -7:30 am. Across and back is about 3/4 of a mile. Check out http://www.dutri.org/blog/around May and the start date for the group swims will be posted. And yes, be sure to wear a wetsuit!Sealed
2011-02-13 7:33 PM
in reply to: #3353203

User image

Regular
Minnesota
cobratodd - 2011-02-13 7:05 PM Some positive feedback on the YMCA Tri Swim Clinic, today we had a new coach.  Even though it was her first day coaching, it was a huge improvement over just swimming tons of laps.  The drills were a big help.  Although there were so many different ones, it kept the 1.5 hours from getting boring, plus it gave many new things to work on.  I find it amazing how much better a freestyle lap feels after you butcher a few drill laps.  Anyway, the three day-a-week group is turning out to be well worth it.  If you are swimming for an event, and you have a chance to get in with a group, clinic, or any type of peer/formal instructor, I'd highly recommend it.  You can swim 10,000's of yards and never know if you are improving or doing things correctly.  It's not a necessity but it is a huge help.

That sounds great. I love master swim, and I am not a great swimmer, but a much better one because of it. Lucky you, three days a week!!
2011-02-13 7:38 PM
in reply to: #3351459

User image

Regular
Minnesota
Baowolf - 2011-02-11 9:49 PM Yay first 1000 yard continuous swim (albeit slowly) for first time since I broke the collar bone.  And after the speedwork today I got to play with allowing the left foot crap and alternating calf cramps to let go of my muscles as I swam.  This is a much needed skill for long swims in cold water.  Oh well off to spend some time with the wife.

congratulations on the swim Baowolf!

2011-02-14 6:46 AM
in reply to: #3353088

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
mn_av8or - 2011-02-13 6:11 PM

Baowolf - 2011-02-13 4:30 PM

You get the splashing, kids jumping on your head at the end of the pool and bouncing off you oblivious even if you are swimming 4000 yards in the same lane.... same kid gets run over 150 times.  It will also help with your sighting 8). 

Haha yeah that is a good idea Baowolf.  The main goal for wanting to do some open water swimming was to get used to swimming in a swimming wetsuit and perhaps try a few out and buy what works for me.

Good to hear your training is going well after that tough week CobraTodd

If the main concern is swimming in a wetsuit, you can do that in a pool.... just make sure you rinse the suit well afterward. And if you're swimming in an indoor pool that's kept pretty warm, be prepared -- you may find yourself overheating a bit, especially if you try to push the pace any! There's a shop near us that allows a "try before you buy" approach for wetsuits - you can take a few and try them out in a pool and see which one you like best. Maybe you can find someplace that does that near you!

How's your weather been? Is it warming up any there in MN? We're having a bit of a warm spell here in PA - I suspect all the snow will be gone within a few days - then maybe I can start riding outside some again (I'm starting to miss it!!)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's Spring-into-action 2011 mentor group -- Full Up & Ready to go! Rss Feed  

of 23