BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2011-04-27 2:44 PM
in reply to: #3469552

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
Subject: RE: Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL

deliriousxix - 2011-04-27 1:15 PM Hi all, noobie writing again! Hahah. Just trying to keep up with yalls posts.. What is an "A sprint" a "B sprint" and a "C sprint"??Yesterday was my birthday and I got a new bike computer, hr monitor, and tri suit!! Woohooo! I feel a little more legit. I'm trying out the bike computer and hr monitor today on my bike ride i also got a little backpack that I can carry things in.. Do you guys bring these into the transition area?

Happy  Birthday!!!  Had I known, I would not have been late with my cake.

My understanding is the A, B, C relates to the importance to me.  A being a race I really want to perform well in and will build my specifric training towards.  B is somewhat important but one that I want to test myself in.  C is one that I'd ham it up for the crowd, do just for fun, or try something risky that could cause a DNF (did not finish).  Based on the $ to do most, I don't have C races  Money mouth

Sprint relates to the distance (Sprint, Olympic, Half Ironman, Ironman)

Edited by mackjenn 2011-04-27 2:45 PM

(Tinker Cake1.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Tinker Cake1.JPG (32KB - 5 downloads)

2011-04-27 6:57 PM

User image

Veteran
WTH? This isn't coral. It's corn!

deliriousxix - 2011-04-27 3:15 PM Hi all, noobie writing again! Hahah. Just trying to keep up with yalls posts.. What is an "A sprint" a "B sprint" and a "C sprint"??Yesterday was my birthday and I got a new bike computer, hr monitor, and tri suit!! Woohooo! I feel a little more legit. I'm trying out the bike computer and hr monitor today on my bike ride i also got a little backpack that I can carry things in.. Do you guys bring these into the transition area?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Smile Dang! girl, make sure to ask Santa for ZIPPs.  High probability you'll get them!   And yes, we bring those things to transition. There's a good thread that I saw a while back (and I can't remember where!) where Yanti talks about what to take in transition.  Hopefully, she can dig it up.

2011-04-27 6:59 PM
in reply to: #3434942

User image

Veteran

How are we supposed to keep in shape with you giving us so many cakes!?? LOL

2011-04-27 7:16 PM
in reply to: #3470092

User image

Veteran
Austin
trainforacure - 2011-04-27 6:57 PM

deliriousxix - 2011-04-27 3:15 PM Hi all, noobie writing again! Hahah. Just trying to keep up with yalls posts.. What is an "A sprint" a "B sprint" and a "C sprint"??Yesterday was my birthday and I got a new bike computer, hr monitor, and tri suit!! Woohooo! I feel a little more legit. I'm trying out the bike computer and hr monitor today on my bike ride i also got a little backpack that I can carry things in.. Do you guys bring these into the transition area?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Smile Dang! girl, make sure to ask Santa for ZIPPs.  High probability you'll get them!   And yes, we bring those things to transition. There's a good thread that I saw a while back (and I can't remember where!) where Yanti talks about what to take in transition.  Hopefully, she can dig it up.

Happy Birthday!!!!  

Does the transition thread include the picture of John's yoga mat?  Please say we can see it again!  I think the new Manatees would like to see what John needs money for.  

2011-04-28 8:19 AM
in reply to: #3470121

User image

Melon Presser
lounav - 2011-04-28 9:16 AM

Happy Birthday!!!!  

Does the transition thread include the picture of John's yoga mat?  Please say we can see it again!  I think the new Manatees would like to see what John needs money for.  

bottom left of the picture

Hey, he made that mat for a VEGAS tri, after all

TriAya - 2011-03-15 1:26 PM One of the AWESOME dudes in my mentor group (mackjenn) posted this pic of his transition mat: he writes in Sharpie on a yoga mat that he rolls out for his transition space.

does the bottom left of that mat say "shoes" or "$ hoes" ?  could mean two totally different things

(transitionmat.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
transitionmat.jpg (58KB - 8 downloads)
2011-04-28 8:24 AM

User image

Melon Presser

2011-04-28 9:50 AM

User image

Master

Ok, I'm not even close to the Panda or Tinkerbel talent, but here is the cake I made for Easter.

One a much healthier note, the storms are gone and we should have sunshine for the next few days.  YaY!  Planning on a 30 mile ride Saturday, but not sure what the rest of the weekend will hold since I have to work. 

Y'all have inspired me to find a race and sign up.  That will be my goal for next week!!!

2011-04-28 10:40 AM
in reply to: #3471022

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
crews - 2011-04-28 8:50 AM

Ok, I'm not even close to the Panda or Tinkerbel talent, but here is the cake I made for Easter.

One a much healthier note, the storms are gone and we should have sunshine for the next few days.  YaY!  Planning on a 30 mile ride Saturday, but not sure what the rest of the weekend will hold since I have to work. 

Y'all have inspired me to find a race and sign up.  That will be my goal for next week!!!

Nice Cake and very good I'm sure.

I'm considering riding on Saturday too, but our weather is supposed to be bad (rain, 47F).  Might be good opportunity to "practice" in some not so optimum weather (that is one thing that I can't control race day).  Maybe I'll do most of the ride inside on the drainer (watch a movie) and then head out for the last 30 min or so to "enjoy" the experience.

Let me help with the race sign-up:  http://trifind.com/re_34007/HeberSpringsTri.html 

2011-04-28 10:41 AM
in reply to: #3470783

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
TriAya - 2011-04-28 7:19 AM
lounav - 2011-04-28 9:16 AM

Happy Birthday!!!!  

bottom left of the picture

Hey, he made that mat for a VEGAS tri, after all

TriAya - 2011-03-15 1:26 PM One of the AWESOME dudes in my mentor group (mackjenn) posted this pic of his transition mat: he writes in Sharpie on a yoga mat that he rolls out for his transition space.

does the bottom left of that mat say "shoes" or "$ hoes" ?  could mean two totally different things

thanks for the memories  Tongue out

2011-04-28 11:33 AM
in reply to: #3471197

User image

Master
mackjenn - 2011-04-28 10:40 AM
crews - 2011-04-28 8:50 AM

Nice Cake and very good I'm sure.

I'm considering riding on Saturday too, but our weather is supposed to be bad (rain, 47F).  Might be good opportunity to "practice" in some not so optimum weather (that is one thing that I can't control race day).  Maybe I'll do most of the ride inside on the drainer (watch a movie) and then head out for the last 30 min or so to "enjoy" the experience.

Let me help with the race sign-up:  http://trifind.com/re_34007/HeberSpringsTri.html 

Oh, I love that race.  I've done it twice.  There is a climb on the bike that is killer!  The first year I couldn't make it and had to walk up.  My goal for the next year was to stay on the bike...all the way up.  I did it, but there were folks that were running up the hill with there bikes that passed me.  It's crazy.  On the way down, there are rescue people tied off to the guard rail to go rescue those that don't make the turn and go over the side of the road.  There is at least one person that does it each year.  Challenging...but fun.  Ok.  I'm inspired.  Payday is Sunday, so I will be signing up for a race next week!!

2011-04-28 11:44 AM

User image

Master
Vista, CA
deliriousxix - 2011-04-27 12:15 PM Hi all, noobie writing again! Hahah. Just trying to keep up with yalls posts.. What is an "A sprint" a "B sprint" and a "C sprint"??Yesterday was my birthday and I got a new bike computer, hr monitor, and tri suit!! Woohooo! I feel a little more legit. I'm trying out the bike computer and hr monitor today on my bike ride i also got a little backpack that I can carry things in.. Do you guys bring these into the transition area?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Which these are you referring to of what to bring to transition area? You (or at least I do) bring a lot. I'm sure we can get a good list going. I used the BT checklist for my first race. I felt like I was moving in! Ha!

And the A,B,C designations as I understand and have applied it are for the importance of the race. Also, you generally don't taper and build up to the B and C races. The B,C races help you build up to the A races so you can be at your peak for them. 

Gotta go do some hill repeats right now (on the bike) but I'll research that BT transition list and add in a few of my super secret items I always pack.

Have a great Thursday Manatees!!

2011-04-28 3:30 PM

LOL at that transition Mat. Actually not a bad idea. How much room do you actually get for transition? I saw the BT list. I think you do move in. With all that stuff it sounds like you have to camp the night before at the race site. Laughing

Love all the cakes, where do you find the time?????

Happy Birthday, you did get lucky. Lots of good stuff. That's how I got my new bike too. Love when birthdays line up with our needs. Total justification.Laughing

As always I need some butt kicking,  but reading all your posts about your weekend races is killing me. I am still trying to get my head around the triathlon in July. You are all making me so nervous. Should I be signing up for other races in between. I did pick up two flyers today for 5ks in the area that I could probably do. (baby steps)

Also signed up for swim lessons, (5 - private lessons at my gym). They were going to try to hook me up with an instructer who actually does tri's herself. Cant wait. So need them.

Crazy weather is making me too nervous to do my bike ride tonight. Do not want to get caught in the storms.

Have a great weekend y'all. I am heading to Hershey with my family tomorrow. Better bring my running shoes this could be as dangerous as all those SF places to eat.

Grainne

2011-04-28 3:51 PM
in reply to: #3472068

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
Grainne Wynne - 2011-04-28 2:30 PM

LOL at that transition Mat. Actually not a bad idea. How much room do you actually get for transition? I saw the BT list. I think you do move in. With all that stuff it sounds like you have to camp the night before at the race site. Laughing

Love all the cakes, where do you find the time?????

Happy Birthday, you did get lucky. Lots of good stuff. That's how I got my new bike too. Love when birthdays line up with our needs. Total justification.Laughing

As always I need some butt kicking,  but reading all your posts about your weekend races is killing me. I am still trying to get my head around the triathlon in July. You are all making me so nervous. Should I be signing up for other races in between. I did pick up two flyers today for 5ks in the area that I could probably do. (baby steps)

Also signed up for swim lessons, (5 - private lessons at my gym). They were going to try to hook me up with an instructer who actually does tri's herself. Cant wait. So need them.

Crazy weather is making me too nervous to do my bike ride tonight. Do not want to get caught in the storms.

Have a great weekend y'all. I am heading to Hershey with my family tomorrow. Better bring my running shoes this could be as dangerous as all those SF places to eat.

Grainne

The Tri I used my mat for did not have a set-up / formal transition rules, so I took the space I wanted (it was on a tennis court and although they had traditional racks, some of us (me included) just leaned our bike against the net).  Some tri's will DQ you for this - just check with the organizer.  Size does vary depending on the event.

Neat hint if needed:  get yourself a 5 gallon bucked from homedepot or something.  Then fill it with your transition stuff and use that to carry it from the car to the transition zone.  During T1 and T2 you can turn the bucked upside-down and use it as a seat.  I just plop on the ground, but have seen others do this and I thought it would be neat if something like that was desired.  May be good for times when the ground is soaked or muddy.

MAJOR RULE OF EDIQUITE: don't use more space than you are provided and don't ever touch someone elses stuff.  If there is an issue (ie - your neighbor is taking some of your spot) - get a race official involved if the racer is not there to talk to directly.  Don't take it upon yourself to "move it".

Hershey - love it.  Stayed at the Hershey hotel for vacation a few years ago when I lived in Ohio.  Take your running shoes and enjoy the run downtown while smelling choclate (I don't know if it is true, but heard they pipe that smell into the town).  I actually took my bike and did some training when I was there (back when I sucked at just 1 sport (cycling)instead of 3).  If you are not staying at the HH - stop by and at least walk around the grounds and the hotel - quite nice.  HAVE FUN!!!

2011-04-28 10:19 PM

Question for the group-

If Olympic length is 1.5/40/6.2 then why do I find so many "olympic length" races with hugely varying distances?  And why does it end with a 5.6 run so often?

2011-04-29 12:04 AM
in reply to: #3472615

User image

Melon Presser
GraceVanOwen - 2011-04-29 12:19 PM

Question for the group-

If Olympic length is 1.5/40/6.2 then why do I find so many "olympic length" races with hugely varying distances?  And why does it end with a 5.6 run so often?

It's only a standard distance in the Olympics and in ITU (International Triathlon Union) racing. Otherwise, you can consider "olympic" or "international" length races as an approximation, just like "sprint" really only means "not long enough to even fake being olympic."

It's usually the logistics of the race venue more than anything that dictate the actual length of the courses.

2011-04-29 8:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
Hmmm...  Forcast for Sunday is 32 - 44F with snow.  Should I get up at 5:30am and drive the 2 hours to my open water swim or call it good?

2011-04-29 9:33 AM
in reply to: #3472988

User image

Melon Presser

mackjenn - 2011-04-29 10:39 PM Hmmm...  Forcast for Sunday is 32 - 44F with snow.  Should I get up at 5:30am and drive the 2 hours to my open water swim or call it good?

Personally, I like you warm and juicy ... not Popsicled.

Admittedly, I am the world's biggest cold weenie, but anything below 50, even with a wetsuit and squid lid and gloves and booties is a total no-no for me. Unless you're, say, Lynne Cox (Swimming to Antarctica) ... yeah ... no.

That's still perfectly decent cycling or speedwalking weather, though.

2011-04-29 11:22 AM

User image

Veteran

I expect lots of congratulations from my manatee family as I am now a princess.  Oh! frikkin' ay! Wrong lifetime. Surprised

I'm feeling kind of meh. ?I go see the doctor on Monday to see if I have some sort of asthma or breathing issue or allergy going on.  Difficulty breating continues (although it come and goes) for second week.  I had to move in my Mom with me 3 months ago to be her caregiver.  Although we have isolated the AC duct system and I installed a high end filtration system, I think her smoking is affecting me.  .  I plan to continue training for volume but my speeds will be slow as molasses 'cause that's when I get winded when I try to crank it up.  This sucks. 

Whining done.  <<<<INSERT 'HTFU SLAP' IN THE FACE>>>>>

On fantastical, THANK-YOU-GOD-I'M-REALLY-GRATEFUL, news my Mom has lost 35 pounds in her whole medical ordeal (anesthesia shut down her appetite) which is fantastic to help her diabetes and high blood pressure and she's doing really well with her brand new bionic knee.  She looks and acts like 10 yrs younger (she's 71.)  I begged her MD to give me some of that anesthesia but he said to first shell out 60k LOL.  

?I hope everyone has a good weekend of training and racing! Smile

2011-04-29 11:56 AM
in reply to: #3473427

User image

Melon Presser
trainforacure - 2011-04-30 1:22 AM

I expect lots of congratulations from my manatee family as I am now a princess.  Oh! frikkin' ay! Wrong lifetime. Surprised

I'm feeling kind of meh. ?I go see the doctor on Monday to see if I have some sort of asthma or breathing issue or allergy going on.  Difficulty breating continues (although it come and goes) for second week.  I had to move in my Mom with me 3 months ago to be her caregiver.  Although we have isolated the AC duct system and I installed a high end filtration system, I think her smoking is affecting me.  .  I plan to continue training for volume but my speeds will be slow as molasses 'cause that's when I get winded when I try to crank it up.  This sucks. 

Whining done.  <<<>>>>

On fantastical, THANK-YOU-GOD-I'M-REALLY-GRATEFUL, news my Mom has lost 35 pounds in her whole medical ordeal (anesthesia shut down her appetite) which is fantastic to help her diabetes and high blood pressure and she's doing really well with her brand new bionic knee.  She looks and acts like 10 yrs younger (she's 71.)  I begged her MD to give me some of that anesthesia but he said to first shell out 60k LOL.  

?I hope everyone has a good weekend of training and racing! Smile

CONGRATULATIONS!!! You are a Manatee Princess to us, and after all, we're the ones that matter

Every time you post, it makes me revel in life and laughter more. What a gift.

Great job persevering in challenging times of health/life/family. It's all intertwined; I know.

I also understand that "caregiver" is a nice-sounding term for "500 jobs-in-one combined with button-pushing only the near and dear can really sock to you plus seriously considering different kinds of 'cide (suicide, filicide, otherpeoplewhoaresupposedtobehelpfulbutarebloodyannoying-cide, etc.)

All the best for sorting your own health issues out. I say you slap a nico patch on your mom, break out some balloons, music, and cake, with a "CONGRATULATIONS! YOU JUST QUIT!" banner.

I do love fantasy; after all, it's free and so fulfilling.

Here in Indonesia EVERYBODY smokes EVERYWHERE. Literally, all my closest friends smoke. There is no way to shield myself from it and I think it's considerably aggravated my own breathing/allergy/overall health issues. Even ensconced in my house, Balinese houses are open, and neighbours and people on the street smoke, so it's always around.

2011-04-29 12:40 PM

User image

Dallas, TX
I would love some input on my (lack of ) training schedule. I am not really following one! I don't have a race scheduled so I think that is part of the problem. I am also traveling like crazy so that makes anything buy running challenging. Race wise something in June might be an option, but July/august is more realistic. But 100 degree weather does not sound that fun. So I might find something the end of sept/beginning of oct when it is not quite so scorching. So if my next race is 5 months off, I am not sure what kind of training plan I should be following. The other wrinkle is I am going to do my first (and possible only) HM in Dec (Las Vegas Rock and Roll, on the strip, in the evening, what could be better!) I am planning to do a 20 week HM training plan so that will start in mid august. So that seems like that will conflict with whatever training plan I am trying to do fora sept/oct tri. Any suggestions?
2011-04-29 12:57 PM
in reply to: #3473609

User image

Master
Vista, CA
kussmaul - 2011-04-29 10:40 AM I would love some input on my (lack of ) training schedule. I am not really following one! I don't have a race scheduled so I think that is part of the problem. I am also traveling like crazy so that makes anything buy running challenging. Race wise something in June might be an option, but July/august is more realistic. But 100 degree weather does not sound that fun. So I might find something the end of sept/beginning of oct when it is not quite so scorching. So if my next race is 5 months off, I am not sure what kind of training plan I should be following. The other wrinkle is I am going to do my first (and possible only) HM in Dec (Las Vegas Rock and Roll, on the strip, in the evening, what could be better!) I am planning to do a 20 week HM training plan so that will start in mid august. So that seems like that will conflict with whatever training plan I am trying to do fora sept/oct tri. Any suggestions?

I totally understand you may feel like you are drifting and don't want to lose your fitness mojo. I think it's tough. If you can't find something in June (it's not that far off), then I'd schedule something for early July. And, if it's just too hot there, maybe you can "create" a tri for yourself. Set a date that this will be your triathlon and get a BT plan to train for it. Act "as if." It may give you a date and goal to reach toward and then use that as a stepping stone toward your official tris coming up and then your HM.

One thing I read a lot of on BT is that people think they have to give up swimming and biking when they're training for a run event, like a HM or a full. I can't say enough how swimming and biking when I'm training for a longer running event has helped me. You certainly have more of a run focus, but sneaking in those cycling and swims is really helpful. There is myriad research on how that kind of cross training and recovery activity is helpful and actually makes you stronger. Okay...off my soapbox.

2011-04-29 1:00 PM
in reply to: #3472988

User image

Master
Vista, CA
mackjenn - 2011-04-29 6:39 AM Hmmm...  Forcast for Sunday is 32 - 44F with snow.  Should I get up at 5:30am and drive the 2 hours to my open water swim or call it good?

John -- IMHO if you're swimming OW just to swim in open water I think you can skip it. If you're swimming to practice sighting, just practice at the pool with the clock or something on the side, etc. I don't think I'd drive 2 hours to practice OWS when it's a sprint tri. You'll want to get in the open water more leading up to Alcatraz. Sorry you can't get some spring weather there.
2011-04-29 1:06 PM
in reply to: #3473655

User image

Dallas, TX
Thanks. Maybe I need to look for something in June. I forgot that July is pretty much out - two vacations - San Juan and Colorado - yea!! My concern with June is I'll be lucky if I get one ride in per week between now and then. Infuses for a sprint that is not really a problem. The same applies to swimming which is more of an issue My other think with the training plans is they don't really fit what I am doing now. If I do a 12 week spring plan it has me doing shorter distances than I have been doing. So when I look at those I feel like I would be going backwards.

Edited by kussmaul 2011-04-29 1:08 PM
2011-04-29 1:12 PM
in reply to: #3473665

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO

lmscozz - 2011-04-29 12:00 PM
mackjenn - 2011-04-29 6:39 AM Hmmm...  Forcast for Sunday is 32 - 44F with snow.  Should I get up at 5:30am and drive the 2 hours to my open water swim or call it good?

John -- IMHO if you're swimming OW just to swim in open water I think you can skip it. If you're swimming to practice sighting, just practice at the pool with the clock or something on the side, etc. I don't think I'd drive 2 hours to practice OWS when it's a sprint tri. You'll want to get in the open water more leading up to Alcatraz. Sorry you can't get some spring weather there.

Thanks Lynn and Yanti - both have great points.  I just don't like getting rained on when swimming.Cool 

I think my schedule will just have me in the water this weekend regardless of the weather.  They say the water temp is 58 - 61, which is close to the SF bay, so good time to check if I need better insulation (thickher cap at least).  I manage a full mile and a half and can function after getting out, questons answered.  Hard to believe the Alcatraz is a scant 5 weeks away.

We have spring weather - just comes and goes.  80 today, snow 2 days ago and again this weekend.  Colorado - don't like the weather, wait a few minutes. 

2011-04-29 1:14 PM
in reply to: #3473677

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO

kussmaul - 2011-04-29 12:06 PM Thanks. Maybe I need to look for something in June. I forgot that July is pretty much out - two vacations - San Juan and Colorado - yea!! My concern with June is I'll be lucky if I get one ride in per week between now and then. Infuses for a sprint that is not really a problem. The same applies to swimming which is more of an issue My other think with the training plans is they don't really fit what I am doing now. If I do a 12 week spring plan it has me doing shorter distances than I have been doing. So when I look at those I feel like I would be going backwards.

Colorado?!?  If driving, bring your bike and I bet you will be able to find a tri to do.  Where you planning on going and what are you going to do? Couple of manatees might be able to provide some recommendations.

On the sprint plan - what if you went to the shorter distances and ramped up the intensity?  Others would have to comment on that (Lynn / Yanti), but it is somehthing I've done before when limited by time.

Edited by mackjenn 2011-04-29 1:16 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL Rss Feed  

of 43