BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigDH - Checking Off the Boxes - Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2011-05-07 10:22 AM
in reply to: #3435962

User image

Regular
Royal Oak
Subject: RE: BigDH - Checking Off the Boxes - Mentor Group - CLOSED

Darren feel better!

My 5k this morning went great, my un-official time from my watch is 25 minutes 54 seconds, so I set a nice pace.  I'll put up a race report later after I get the official time and see how I did in my age group/overall.  I don't feel like I started too fast and did a good job adding a little speed as I went further.  I love passing people at the end of the race who went by me in the 1st mile.

Trying to debate wether to put my swim today?  I might try to brick my swim and bike tomorrow just to see how that feels, all though I'm guessing much easier than the bike and run bricks.

Hope everyone has a nice weekend!

2011-05-07 11:02 AM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida

Still here, just been a LONG week!  

My race last week went as well as I could have expected.  Was shooting for 2:40 and finished in 2:39:46.  Not bad for my first OLY.  Took most of the week as a chance to recover.  I've been in some form of training for almost a year straight.  Just needed a rest.  Didn't run, bike or swim once all week for the first time in a long while.  

Today, my whole family participated in a race.  This was the first time we have done that.  I ran with my 9 year old son in the 5k race and my wife ran with our 6 year old in the 1 mile race.  Both boys did great.  the youngest was 3rd in the mile, the oldest struggled a little with a chest cold but still finished strong.  I challenged him at the 2 mile mark to see how many people we could pass in the last mile.  We ran down 10 people.  He was more excited about that than anything else.

Monday starts the next round of training.  Next Saturday I am racing in the same race that started my tri season last year.  I am hoping to do as well or better, last year I was 2nd in the Under 39 Clydesdale by 16 seconds.  Hopefully the time off has recharged the batteries and not killed the fitness.

2011-05-07 12:00 PM
in reply to: #3486565

User image

Regular
Libertyville, IL

Darren - Hope you feel better soon! 

Nick - Way to go in your 5k! 

Chris - How cool that you were able to do a race with the whole family!  It sounds like you had a blast!  

As far as my half marathon this morning:  It was awesome!  The temperature was perfect - 49 degrees f.  I was able to increase my pace throughout the race and I didn't die at the end.  I finished faster than my goal time of 2 hours in 1:56:32 (unofficial watch time).  Oh yeah, about that, the only negative was that my Garmin crapped out on me before the race and wouldn't turn on.  So, luckily I had my timex ironman watch with me and I used that to get all my mile splits.  I actually think I liked racing with that better than the Garmin.  I wasn't as glued to the watch the entire race like I usually am and I was able to hold my pace perfectly anyway.  I was able to negative split the race and the entire race I just felt great!  Overall, I'm crazy happy about the way I did this morning.  

2011-05-07 1:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Nice job Ryan, it must feel good to be under that 2hr mark.
2011-05-07 1:33 PM
in reply to: #3486090

User image

Regular
Libertyville, IL
benjaminjacobso - 2011-05-06 5:45 PM

Rode past the 20 mile mark - great route out in the country - even did a road called Devil Road!

Feeling great - that pause thing on the Garmin worked great.  My cadence magnet slipped again - this time about 3/4's of the way into the ride.  You folks who have the Garmin 305 - any suggestions on better securing that magnet to the crank?

I don't have a Garmin 305, but I secured the magnet for my cadence sensor with gaffers tape.  It seems to work great.  Haven't had any issues.  

2011-05-07 4:58 PM

User image

Regular
Royal Oak

Here is a link to my race report, still waiting for the official timing and will update it when it's posted:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=251213

Edited by nick_318is 2011-05-07 4:59 PM

2011-05-08 8:06 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
so, what did I learn this week. I learned:

1. Um, no you can't add 5 hours of biking to your marathon program, get all your workouts in and still manage to do Mother's Day right.

2. So, I got sick (not sure if this is from 10 hours of working out in 4 days), so I couldn't run Friday or Saturday (well I probably coulda gone Saturday but figured the risk of getting sicker was not worth it).

3. That you can take 3 days off and the world is not going to end, really, it just feels like it is.

What is on tap this week.

110 k week running (18k vo2max, 32k long, 16k recovery, 10k, recovery, 23k midlong, 11k with some strides)
biking to and from work a couple times (yep, I guess I really didn't learn my lesson)

Last week until 2 week taper so figure, go hard or go home.
2011-05-09 6:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Southern Saratoga County, NY

Got a short fast-ish run in on Saturday.  Easy 3.5 mile hike for Mom's day SundayH

Highlight:  FedEx man handed me my first ever Wetsuit while I was doing yard work Saturday.  I went with the Xterra medium/large and I think it fits OK.  Sleeveless - mostly because of ease of getting it on and off. 

I hope to get someone to check the size this week at the pool.

Darren- hope you feel better soon!

2011-05-09 8:23 AM
in reply to: #3488294

User image

Regular

Morning guys!  So, I got all my training in over the weekend.  Yesterday, I wondered if I should stay home with the kids rather then run, but I'm glad I went out.  It doesn't intrude too much into our family life when I go in the mornings.  Besides, it's supposed to be my day.    It worked out perfectly.  The kids made me cards while I was gone and wouldn't let me in the house until I checked the mailbox.  My husband had a hot tea ready (it was cool and drizzly out there) and some strawberries, rasberries and grapefruit prepared.  Then we went to the pool in the afternoon as a family and had fun.  Low key day, but still really nice.

So, what I learned this week: Adding the bike to my training is taking more out of me.  I'm glad I dropped my running volume as much as I did, even if I didn't drop it all the way.  My swims are the workout that almost always happens in the evening and I feel like I'm losing form more often because I'm tired.  I'm going to make a point of not always doubling up on the swim days for a couple weeks to see if it helps.  Then I can hopefully keep some quality swims in.  It means running and biking on the same days more, but I think it will be fine.  It may also just take me a bit more time to get used to the full training.

2011-05-09 8:32 AM
in reply to: #3486622

User image

Regular

Nick, nice job on the 5k!

Chris, sounds like the race was great fun with the kids.  I can't wait until both of mine are old enough to start doing some races.

Ryan, great job on the half marathon!  Getting under 2 hours is a far away dream of mine. 

Did you get your garmin to work later? My garmin refused to turn on this week and I called customer support.  They told me to hold down the mode and lap button (at the same time) for about 10 seconds, then try turning it on again.  It worked for mine.

Darren, sorry you got sick this week.  Are you feeling better now?

Ben, I ordered an xterra wetsuit too.  A lot of people rent around here, but I just can't get over the idea of sharing a clothing item that most people pee in...

2011-05-09 11:45 AM
in reply to: #3488854

_Deb_ - 2011-05-09 2:23 PM

I'm going to make a point of not always doubling up on the swim days for a couple weeks to see if it helps.  Then I can hopefully keep some quality swims in.  It means running and biking on the same days more, but I think it will be fine.  It may also just take me a bit more time to get used to the full training.

Hello,

I have been swimming and running and I feel really tired the next day.  Not fitness wise, just tired!!  Which is likely to be just me doing to much to soon.  But it wont take me long to get through that phase.

?I have read from a few places about running and then cycling, as it puts less strain on your tired legs, so you are less likely to injure yourself.  I will find links if you want to read them.  Most would be under the begineers or training articles on this site though.

I havent added cycling in yet, as I have done reasonable amounts over the last couple of years, so will pick up the cycling fitness reasonably quickly.  About 18 months ago now, I was doing between 150-170miles on the bike with running and circuit training too.

Hope it goes ok.  All the best.

2011-05-09 12:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

I hate renting stuff, you never know what you are going to get so its always a big surprise and not something that I would want to deal with at a race. I bought a new profile designs / aquaman suit off of ebay for about $100, new! I was a little concerned as I wasnt able to try it on before but it seems to fit well. Now all I have to do is work up the courage to get into it and actually swim in the still freezing cold water with it!

re: run/bike combos. My plan has a bike then a 15min run every week. So far it has helped me in getting used to the transition. I have also biked after a run which is much much easier.

Training has been a disaster lately and I just havent been getting out. Not sure why I just havent. I biked to work today and am going to the pool after work. Tomorrow is a question mark, I have an interview in the AM, have to pick up some (rented LOL!)Kayaks for a trip then work in the PM, I might squeeze in a run somewhere. Wednesday I might do a heavy day of running and Biking. Thursday to Sunday I am on a kayak trip, No biking, hopefully not a lot of walking (ie portaging) and I pray for no swimming!!!

Edited by DaveL 2011-05-09 12:18 PM
2011-05-09 2:26 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Hey guys,

Regarding Garmin, I have had 3, a 205 that was stolen, a 305 that lasted about 2 years and my current 205.

The 305 I had would frequently fail to start. I had to to the enter/lap/power or whatever trick to get it to start many time. Eventually it just crapped out. My current one seems okay. I think they are made to take a bit of abuse but it does add up over time.

If you can get a new or used wetsuit I think that is definitely the way to go. I probably spent about 100 bucks renting went suits for triathlons before I had to buy one because i was going to do a triathlon in the middle of a 2 week trip. A lot of triathlon shops sell their used ones at the end of season so that is an idea too.

It is very hard to juggle all the workouts. I think it is a bit of a fallacy that bike/run (brick) workouts somehow teach you to run better off the bike. Okay, not a fallacy, I mean this is an important skill, but it is only part of the puzzle. What you want to train most importantly is being able to get off the bike without having tired legs. That is the goal. Running after biking does not train this. More biking trains this. Running after biking, if you are in fact fatigued, really only teaches you to run with tired legs which is not what you want to be doing. You should try to get your key run workouts (or all of your workouts) as fresh as you can be so you can properly tax your running muscles to stimulate improvement.

One big problem with running off the bike is core or abdominal issues. 9 times out of 10 if your form is falling apart on the run it is not because your quads and hammies and calves are giving out, it is your abs and your hips and groan and muscles in your feet. You can get some benefit from starting an ab program, you know, just throw that in to the rest of your workouts lol.

It is tough, just don't sweat the brick. It takes a bunch out of you for arguably little return, except for confidence.
2011-05-09 11:47 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Man I feel tired for a Monday.
2011-05-10 10:48 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
So how is everyone's flat changing skills?

I ask because I have a bike (shocker) and it was a beast, I rode it on old tires and old tubes for 2 years with nary a problem, no flats, didn't even carry tire changing stuff.

Anyways, last year sometime it developed a flat spot, which I rode on for months because I am a damn fool. Turned out a spoke was broke, yeah, I didn't notice. Anyways, now I got a flat spot on my darn tire. I spent like 400 bucks tuning this bike up last year and they only resulted in screwing up. They put a new chain on it so now half my friggin gears dont work. Anyways, back to the tire. So yeah, got a flat last week, took it to the fixit place and fixed it. Then yesterday I get another flat, Grrrrrrrr. Had my bike changing stuff so changed it, first time ever I changed on commuter ride.

The fool at the bike shop gave me 700 /x 25-29c tubes or something crazy like that and my tire is a 700 X 35c tube. I think the problem is the tube is not wide enough.

Anyways, sick of flats. My hands are still full of grease, just can't get that stuff out.
2011-05-10 11:03 AM
in reply to: #3488882

User image

Regular
Libertyville, IL

_Deb_ - 2011-05-09 8:32 AM

Did you get your garmin to work later? My garmin refused to turn on this week and I called customer support.  They told me to hold down the mode and lap button (at the same time) for about 10 seconds, then try turning it on again.  It worked for mine.

I did get it to work later after charging it.  I don't think the battery was dead though.  Next time I will try the mode/lap trick and see if that works.  Although, hopefully there won't be a next time. 

BigDH - 2011-05-10 10:48 AM

Not good.  I haven't even practiced changing a flat once yet.  I will have to get on that. 

As far as everything else is concerned - I'm tired too!  Still a little wore out from my half marathon.  I did a bike and a swim yesterday.  I plan on doing an EZ 5 mile run today.  I'm transitioning into my BT olympic training plan with 3 runs/3 bikes/2 swims per week.  Need to make sure I get enough sleep and eat right. 

2011-05-10 11:21 AM
in reply to: #3491481

User image

Veteran
Southern Saratoga County, NY
BigDH - 2011-05-10 10:48 AM

I've done patches and tube changes in the comfort of my home.  On training rides, I carry my clunky BlackBerry phone and have called my support team for a rescue in the past. I now have a spare tube for both bikes, and a pump on each.
2011-05-10 11:26 AM
in reply to: #3491446

"Anyways, sick of flats. My hands are still full of grease, just can't get that stuff out."

Hand wash your kit, the washing powder will get rid of all the grease under your fingernails etc.

I use the slime filled tubes, but I have a commuter bike.  So I dont know if you can get the tube sizes for a racer??  They work well though.   Sometimes, when change you think they are a waste until you see the slime has sealed quite a few holes.  I carry a couple of spare just incase though.

Normally changed and back on the road in a few minutes.  Its just confidence after doing a few.

All the best.

Mark

2011-05-10 2:56 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
So yesterday I rode my bike for about 2.5 hours and run for about 1.5 hours. I ate pretty good all day, had a decent breakfast and lunch and some snacks so I wasn't starving on my ride home, which sometimes happened. I had a huge dinner, 2 burgers a bowl of soup 5 slices of bread probably a litre of milk.

Man, I get up at 3 a.m. and can't sleep, I am starving, I have to go downstairs and raid the fridge.

Any buddy else get frequent or infrequent mid night munchies?
2011-05-10 4:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

flat tires - I have always mountain biked so I have changed many many of them. 

1. Dont bother with a patch kit, carry a tube and put in the new tube. Its faster and you know it will work. Still carry a stick on patch just in case you get a second but generally patch a tube at home when you have a chance.

2. Check the inside of the tire - if a thorn, glass shard or something else caused the flat and you didnt get it out of the tire you are going to have another flat really really soon. Also check the rim tape to be sure a spoke isnt poking through.

3. dont wait until a race to practice how to change a flat. practice at home and use the fancy new CO2 inflator you bought so you know how to use it.

4. when you put in a new tube put some baby powder on it so that it wont stick to the tire. Also blow alittle bit of air into the tube so it has a little shape and will help it from being pinched between the tire and the rim.

5. kit - tube, 2 tire levers, co2 inflator with 1 or 2 cartridges a self adhesive patch or 2.

My last flat took me about 5 minutes to fix, shouldnt take any longer.

Edited by DaveL 2011-05-11 1:09 PM
2011-05-10 9:02 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida

Vacation is over, well not a real vacation, but my week of not training is over.  Had a short teaching day, so headed out to the beach for a run in the sand and an OWS.  My race this Saturday was just recently changed from a sidewalk/road run course to an entire beach run.  Figured I should get in some practice since I haven't run in the sand for a while.  My swim was the best OWS I have ever had!  Swam the entire time with my face in the water, sighted the swim area bouys and did OK, and actually got into a rhythm during the middle part of the swim.  Now I have to carry that feeling into my next race.

As for flats, check out my thread from last week.  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=250130&posts=16&mid=3474065&highlight=&highlightmode=1&action=search#M3474065

For training I carry 2 tubes, 2 CO2 canisters, a refill valve, a tire tube and a small multi tool in my bento box.  In my stem bag I carry my phone, wallet, keys, ibuprofen and sample size Chamois Butter.

On race day, I lose the stem bag and go with 1 tube, 1 CO2, the refill valve, tire tool, multi tool, Chamois Butter and ibuprofen in the bento box.

As for the actual changing goes, I used to service the rental bikes for a beach service company so I have changed A LOT of flats in my life.  Its something that you only get good at with practice.  I do agree with new tubes on a ride and patch at home.  Then to get more practice, swap out the patched tube for the new one.

2011-05-11 9:21 AM

User image

Regular

Hey all!  I started a post yesterday, but got interrupted before I could finish it.

As for flat changing, I'm okay.  I took a basic bike maintenance course at the beginning of April.  Since then, I've changed my tire a couple times to go back and forth between the trainer tire and road tire.  (I know I could have used my bike on the trainer with the regular tire, but I figured the practice was good.)

I'm pretty confident I can change a flat if need be, though I'm still hoping it doesn't happen in a race.  For training, I actually picked up a decent frame pump.  For races, I'm debating CO2 or that stuff that you can put in that is supposed to seal it and inflate at the same time.  Anyone have experience with that?

2011-05-11 9:31 AM

User image

Regular
Royal Oak

I always change my flats at home.  I usually carry my phone and call someone to come and get me since I never get too far from home.  When I change them I always check the rim to make sure none of the spokes are broken or poking through.  I'm pretty good at it but occasionally I put the tire on backwards so I get a little extra practice.

Flats always seem to happen in bunches, the last time I got them I had 2 within 3 rides and haven't had one since.  My tires are getting pretty worn so I think I'll buy some gator skins or something else tough to try and prevent them.

This will probably be my last post for about 10 days since i'm going on vacation, see you all on the flip side.

2011-05-11 1:14 PM
in reply to: #3493266

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

_Deb_ - 2011-05-11 9:21 AMFor races, I'm debating CO2 or that stuff that you can put in that is supposed to seal it and inflate at the same time.  Anyone have experience with that?

I was really happy with my C02 inflator, super fast and easy to use. Never used the slime stuff, though

2011-05-12 11:30 AM

User image

Regular

Hey all!  So, I got my wetsuit in the mail yesterday.  It was an adventure putting it on, but I think it will work!  My last blog post is about it.  If anyone is interested, the link is in my signature.

I also had a good ride yesterday with a friend.  I'm a stronger cyclist then her, but she just was pulling one kid, and I had both, so I think it helped even it out some.

And my swim last night was great!  The pool has been so busy lately.  I shared the lane for a little bit, then had it to myself most of the time.  It was a total zen swim.  I did a few drills, but mostly just focused on form and "swimming pretty".  I felt totally relaxed in the water.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigDH - Checking Off the Boxes - Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 21