BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 Mentor Group 2011 Part 2 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 237

2011-04-25 7:53 AM
in reply to: #3463796

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 Mentor Group 2011 Part 2 - CLOSED
kaburns1214 - 2011-04-25 4:03 AM
No regular water. 

I never drink plain water in training or a race.  The reason for this is that two fold: (1) water does not contain any electrolytes and your body looses lots of electrolytes when training and racing.  Taking in water without electrolytes slows absorbsion of the liquid, causes bloating/sloshing and doesn't allow for electrolyte replacement (which can lead to hyponatremia) ; and (2) In racing, particularly in longer distance your body needs lots of calories, so everything you take in should help replace calories.  Taking water alone does nothing from a calorie perspective. Essentially if you're going to put something in your mouth make sure it brings some benefit.

I know people doing long course racing who did not use sports drink at all and just increased the number of gel/bar calories, however, they used Nuun in their water to address the electrolyte issue.

I alternate between drinking sport drinks and water with gels and sometimes just water if I feel a little tired of sport drinks. There really is no physiological proof to say that drinking water adversely effects your bodies avbility to absorb electrolytes and is no more likey to cause bloating or a sloshy stomach with all due respect to Cait Snow. Yes, your body needs to replace calories and electrolytes, but there are limitations to how much of either we can absorb and process, especially during pyshical activity. Hyponatremia is very uncommon. I have said in many threads, long course triathlon nutrition and hydration isn't as hard as the sports nutrition companies, magazine articles, and athletes make it out to be. We often do more harm then good making our nutrition plans excessively complicated. K.I.S.S.

2011-04-25 8:14 AM
in reply to: #3463946

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
bryancd - 2011-04-25 8:53 AM
kaburns1214 - 2011-04-25 4:03 AM No regular water. 

I never drink plain water in training or a race.  The reason for this is that two fold: (1) water does not contain any electrolytes and your body looses lots of electrolytes when training and racing.  Taking in water without electrolytes slows absorbsion of the liquid, causes bloating/sloshing and doesn't allow for electrolyte replacement (which can lead to hyponatremia) ; and (2) In racing, particularly in longer distance your body needs lots of calories, so everything you take in should help replace calories.  Taking water alone does nothing from a calorie perspective. Essentially if you're going to put something in your mouth make sure it brings some benefit.

I know people doing long course racing who did not use sports drink at all and just increased the number of gel/bar calories, however, they used Nuun in their water to address the electrolyte issue.

I alternate between drinking sport drinks and water with gels and sometimes just water if I feel a little tired of sport drinks. There really is no physiological proof to say that drinking water adversely effects your bodies avbility to absorb electrolytes and is no more likey to cause bloating or a sloshy stomach with all due respect to Cait Snow. Yes, your body needs to replace calories and electrolytes, but there are limitations to how much of either we can absorb and process, especially during pyshical activity. Hyponatremia is very uncommon. I have said in many threads, long course triathlon nutrition and hydration isn't as hard as the sports nutrition companies, magazine articles, and athletes make it out to be. We often do more harm then good making our nutrition plans excessively complicated. K.I.S.S.

I'm glad you chimed in -- I thought you would have a different opinion.

Do you "practice" with the nutrition that's on the course pre-race?

2011-04-25 8:32 AM
in reply to: #3463991

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
kaburns1214 - 2011-04-25 7:14 AM
I'm glad you chimed in -- I thought you would have a different opinion.

Whew, I'm glad you take my comments in the spirit in which they are intended which is simply to provide an alternate view. I am a very firm believer in there are many ways to train and with few exceptions, they all are effective. I also am a firm believer in not becoming too dogmatic about a specific training protocol simply because it works for me.

I am 100% a "live of the land" nutrition athlete. When I first started in the sport, I made the decision to try and simply use what would be available during the race in all of my training. I tolerated it just fine and have never looked back. It makes my training and racing very easy in so far as I don't use any specialty drinks or nutrition supplements. Gels, course provided sport drink, water, a few Cliff Bars for Ironman on the bike, and that's it. My Mom used to race Kona in the '80's with water and Fig Newtons and set AG world records. It's really not that hard.

Edited by bryancd 2011-04-25 8:35 AM
2011-04-25 8:32 AM
in reply to: #3436066

User image

Master
Albuquerque
Man there is NO WAY I could prepare or race anything without drinking water. I have no idea how you do it. 
2011-04-25 8:37 AM
in reply to: #3464043

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
abqtj - 2011-04-25 7:32 AM

Man there is NO WAY I could prepare or race anything without drinking water. I have no idea how you do it. 

Yeah, I find having water alleviates the feelings of being thirsty more then sport drinks. I find it refreshing. Want to know my trick to keep my mouth from getting dry and parched feeling on the bike? Gum. I keep some Eclipse gum in my Fuel Box.
2011-04-25 8:47 AM

User image

Master
Albuquerque
For Saturday's sprint, I think I had 3 bottles (pints) of water before the start, maybe 1.75 more during the race.

2011-04-25 10:40 AM

User image

Expert

Finally, it is light out before 6:00 am!!! Sunrise is now 5:55 (today, and getting earlier every day). Although, it was actually light out earlier than that, even with cloudy skies this morning.  So I got out, only for a 50 minute ride, since I had to be back for the wife to leave for work, me to get ready for work, and to get kids off to school.  I can't wait for it to be light at 5:15 am!! 

So I only got in 14 miles and only averaged 16.75 mph today. Good news was my average HR was only 139. My legs felt super tired for some reason.  I think I had over done it yesterday with CANDY.  Damn Easter Bunny.  My diet has been so good all winter, but yesterday, the damn sugar bug attacked me!!!

2011-04-25 11:09 AM
in reply to: #3464383

User image

Extreme Veteran
rizer22 - 2011-04-25 11:40 AM

Finally, it is light out before 6:00 am!!! Sunrise is now 5:55 (today, and getting earlier every day). Although, it was actually light out earlier than that, even with cloudy skies this morning.  So I got out, only for a 50 minute ride, since I had to be back for the wife to leave for work, me to get ready for work, and to get kids off to school.  I can't wait for it to be light at 5:15 am!! 

So I only got in 14 miles and only averaged 16.75 mph today. Good news was my average HR was only 139. My legs felt super tired for some reason.  I think I had over done it yesterday with CANDY.  Damn Easter Bunny.  My diet has been so good all winter, but yesterday, the damn sugar bug attacked me!!!

I felt the same way this morning.  I think I ate 400 calories of jelly beans and malted milk balls yesterday.  Bah!  My kids don't even like jelly beans that much, so I'm picking them out of their candy bins and tossing them in the trash.  Can't have them around

2011-04-25 11:22 AM
in reply to: #3464042

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
bryancd - 2011-04-25 9:32 AM
kaburns1214 - 2011-04-25 7:14 AM I'm glad you chimed in -- I thought you would have a different opinion.

Whew, I'm glad you take my comments in the spirit in which they are intended which is simply to provide an alternate view. I am a very firm believer in there are many ways to train and with few exceptions, they all are effective. I also am a firm believer in not becoming too dogmatic about a specific training protocol simply because it works for me. I am 100% a "live of the land" nutrition athlete. When I first started in the sport, I made the decision to try and simply use what would be available during the race in all of my training. I tolerated it just fine and have never looked back. It makes my training and racing very easy in so far as I don't use any specialty drinks or nutrition supplements. Gels, course provided sport drink, water, a few Cliff Bars for Ironman on the bike, and that's it. My Mom used to race Kona in the '80's with water and Fig Newtons and set AG world records. It's really not that hard.

kinda hard to argue the point of view of a multiple Kq'ing ironman, and probably one of the nicest people on this site.

It is nice to see the variety of different ways to fuel the body on a long distance race, as their are as many ways to do it as there are racers. I like that gum trick idea, i find i breath through my mouth and somtimes, especially in Crits or bike races where the pace does not ever really let up, i find it difficult to get a swallow in just to wet my mouth. I will have to try that. For me, when i do a sprint or shorter race, all my nutrition/hydration is done prior to that races start, i do not even carry a water bottle in a sprint. Any water i get on the course is to dump on my head/cool me off or rinse out cotton mouth. In my lone Half i premixed my Gu into my fluid bottles, i find it much easier to consume while biking, than trying to rip one open. I have the benefit of an iron stomach, i can pretty much eat/drink anything with no consequences, whick certainly has benefits. I probably over thought my nutrition in the half i did as i carried way to much stuff, but i am sure as you get used to doing the diffrent distances, you find out what works for your body.

2011-04-25 11:34 AM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL

BTW, computer at home not working, so no weekend posts.

Well, weekend running did not go well.  I felt good enought to some strength training on Friday.  Fine.  Then I rode my bike 10 miles for a easy brick on Saturday. Ran 4 miles.  Felt pain almost all the way through, but not horrible.  Tried for running again last night and did all I could get to 3.5 miles in.  There was pain, which was bearable, but what most concerning is that it is as though my hip went numb and I couldn't control the communication to my body for my stride, so I felt like I didn't have control over my stride and food placement . . . so stopped.

Time to call the doctor?  I think I should get frequent flyer miles or points for visits . . .

2011-04-25 2:24 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia

I find the whole nutrition / hydration discussion very interesting.  This is an area I really struggle with.  I always thought I had a stomach of steel, but as I started doing the longer distances my stomach revolted with pretty much everything.  I typically end up with a sloshy stomach.  Hearing that it's ok to wait to drink until you're thirsty is kind of encouraging.  I'm always trying to drink drink drink, so I don't get dehydrated, but I think I need to back off some and let what I do drink actually absorb.  There must be a happy medium in there somewhere.

I'm also a very heavy salty sweater.  I have not done a sweat test (probably should) but that's another reason I'm always drinking.  I hope to do better during training this year.  Last year I had a "nutrition plan" each weekend, but never really stuck to it.  Maybe I'll try to set my watch to remind me...

2011-04-25 2:48 PM
in reply to: #3464936

User image

New Haven, CT

My nutrition plan is hippo eclair and beer oriented.

There was a great story in Comeptitor Magazine about Bob Babbit racing once of the early 80s Konas (back when doing any ironman meant doing it at Kona), using jelly sandwiches as his "nutrition".  The picture of him was great too: long hippy beard, circa-1965 "english racer"... for most of we over complicate things because that is what we are told to do. 

As kelly has often said, do whatever works in practice. 

2011-04-25 2:54 PM
in reply to: #3463799

User image

New Haven, CT
CubeFarmGopher - 2011-04-25 6:24 AM
kaburns1214 - 2011-04-25 6:03 AM

abqtj - 2011-04-24 7:51 PM Kelly, is regular water not factored in to those kind of plans? I assume you also get regular water to drink as well, right?

No regular water. 

Kel stole this from my reprimand by Cait Snow at the FL training camp.

Historically, I would double and triple up the concentration in my bottles and alternate between a swig of water and drink of my formula.  I was discussing it with the team before our first ride and Cait dropped what she doing and yelled at me.  I told her that drinking nothing but flavored beverage makes my mouth dry over the course of a race and, sometimes, I just want a drink of water.

She told me that the reason my mouth gets dry is that the concentration of my drink was not accurate based on my sweat rate and electrolyte requirements.  She said if I wanted to rinse out my mouth, taking a mouthful of water, swishing it around, and spitting it out was fine as long as I kept to my regular intake program.

That was where she dropped the 'if you're going to put something in your mouth, make sure it benefits you' comment.  (granted, I didn't think about it at the time but now I can't say it without laughing)

Did Cait Snow actually yell at you for drinking water?

2011-04-25 5:37 PM
in reply to: #3464936

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
karen26.2 - 2011-04-25 1:24 PM
I'm also a very heavy salty sweater.  I have not done a sweat test (probably should) but that's another reason I'm always drinking. 

Yeah, I would be careful with that. You are purely speculating likely based on anecdotal evidence of salt stains on your clothes, but that has no bearing on your actual sodium depletion. White on your clothes doesn't equal you need to supplement more with salt.
2011-04-25 7:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Price, UT
I too have been following the hydration discussion. I have always run with just water and not too much at that. I live in a very dry climate. I did use a little sport drink provided on this duathlon,but did not see much difference either way. I do a lot of hiking and river running and MT biking in 100+ heat about 3-5% humidity. I have taken several wilderness first reponder and first aid classes that spend time dealing with dehydration issues. I am not going to make any big changes to how I hydrate as I actually feel pretty good doing mostly water and a little electrolytes. But then i just do sprints so probably not a big deal.
2011-04-25 7:34 PM
in reply to: #3465539

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Yep, super dry here in Arizona as well and water works.

2011-04-25 7:58 PM
in reply to: #3465539

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

I am not going to make any big changes to how I hydrate as I actually feel pretty good doing mostly water and a little electrolytes. But then i just do sprints so probably not a big deal.

I think this is a good point.  Most people have enough CHO and water in their systems to support them without anything else for a sprint.  It gets trickier the longer you go. I think the major take away, especially at the half and full distance is to practice what you plan on using on race day: (1) so you'll have an idea of how much you need of what or what you need to pick up on the course; and (2) for people like me with a history of GI issues, you'll train your gut to take in what you'll need.  Also remember trying new things on race day isn't always the best idea (I'm looking at you Jeff-y).

I gotta say, I really like the idea of fig newtons and water as a fueling plan, but while it might work on the bike, I think I would be paying for it on the run. 

2011-04-25 8:00 PM
in reply to: #3465028

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

She didn't exactly yell at him, but more did a "you can do what you want but . . ." in a very stern way.  It probably didn't help that Shaun has a crush on Cait (and Tim). 

2011-04-25 8:07 PM
in reply to: #3464499

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
carrie639 - 2011-04-25 12:34 PM

BTW, computer at home not working, so no weekend posts.

Well, weekend running did not go well.  I felt good enought to some strength training on Friday.  Fine.  Then I rode my bike 10 miles for a easy brick on Saturday. Ran 4 miles.  Felt pain almost all the way through, but not horrible.  Tried for running again last night and did all I could get to 3.5 miles in.  There was pain, which was bearable, but what most concerning is that it is as though my hip went numb and I couldn't control the communication to my body for my stride, so I felt like I didn't have control over my stride and food placement . . . so stopped.

Time to call the doctor?  I think I should get frequent flyer miles or points for visits . . .

Unfortunately I think a doctor's visit is in order.  I know, its wicked tough to be injured and now be able to fix it.

Let us know how it goes.

2011-04-26 4:11 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

Good morning everyone.  Heading out as soon as its light out for a 2 hour bike and a T run.  Then tonight -- massage!

Legs are still pretty shelled from last week hoping everything starts feeling like normal again by the weekend.

2011-04-26 7:09 AM

User image

Master
Albuquerque
I'm either swimming or running this afternoon after work...first day back after the event Saturday. My legs (calves) are still sore as heck! I've been rolling them the last two days, but they are still tight and sore.

2011-04-26 7:39 AM
in reply to: #3466039

User image

New Haven, CT

HAppy Tuesday.  Started the morning with some intervals on the drainer .  Then some intervals on the dreadmill at lunch.

Kelly- you dont think my hippo eclair and cherry coke fueling plan is the way to go?  Seriously, I just checked the Rev3 site and could not find what sports drink is being served, but you said gatorade endurance and as your mentee I have total and complete trust in you and shall use that as my sports drink on rides and runs.  I'll also have my cherry-lime roctane which is fine as well as a couple power bars for the bike.  I figure a bottle of sports drink and a power bar per hour is about 600 calories on the bike and a GU every 30 minutes on teh run.  Practice practice.

2011-04-26 7:57 AM
in reply to: #3465660

User image

New Haven, CT
kaburns1214 - 2011-04-25 9:00 PM

She didn't exactly yell at him, but more did a "you can do what you want but . . ." in a very stern way.  It probably didn't help that Shaun has a crush on Cait (and Tim). 

Its funny.  I went to many football camps where there were pros as teachers in HS and college.  Lawrence Taylor was my idol and I went to his football camp, I got work with him a bit.  But the reality is he couldnt teach becase his ability was so beyond that of anyone else, let alone a D3 college player.  The reality is that the pro universe is entirely different.  When you have marvelous talent coupled with your "day job" as your sport, it makes for a very insular life.  While I believe AGers can learn from the pros, our lives are SO different there is really little overlap except at perhaps the most elite levels of AGers.

Thus, I come back to what you (kelly) have said: pick a plan practice it, if it doesnt work do something different.  Use the world around you for experimentation but dont believe that because a pro does it it will work for you.   Or just go with my plan: have no plan and see what happens.

2011-04-26 8:37 AM
in reply to: #3466093

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
jsklarz - 2011-04-26 8:39 AM

HAppy Tuesday.  Started the morning with some intervals on the drainer .  Then some intervals on the dreadmill at lunch.

Kelly- you dont think my hippo eclair and cherry coke fueling plan is the way to go?  Seriously, I just checked the Rev3 site and could not find what sports drink is being served, but you said gatorade endurance and as your mentee I have total and complete trust in you and shall use that as my sports drink on rides and runs.  I'll also have my cherry-lime roctane which is fine as well as a couple power bars for the bike.  I figure a bottle of sports drink and a power bar per hour is about 600 calories on the bike and a GU every 30 minutes on teh run.  Practice practice.

Gatorade endurance -- I promise.

2011-04-26 8:48 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Sorry, been away from my CPU for a few days or at least the one that doesn't  have work filters on it that don't let BT through.  On the hydration debate, I've lived most of my years in very humid climates (Miami and Houston) and have LIVED off sports drinks.  As a youth I cramped very easy, of course I also played select baseball and would catch both ends of a double header in 100 degree plus weather so to be expected.  Anyway sports drinks have been my life blood forever so I train, race, etc with them.  I can race on water alone, but don't prefer to.  I find hydration means a personal preference thing.  I think an athlete in tune with their body can take a hydration plan and tweak it to fit their personal needs. 

Now if that disjointed thought process made any sense, this week is just another in my push to Austin in October.  Today was drainer/dreadmill brick day.  I'm really looking forward to IMTX this year.  One of my few tri friends is racing.  I'm really trying to find a way to get out there and spectate if not volunteer.  She's suffered a separated shoulder mid way through her 16 week plan and will need all the cheerleaders she can get.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 Mentor Group 2011 Part 2 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 237