Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 84

2011-05-10 7:50 AM
in reply to: #3488884

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group - CLOSED
dangremond - 2011-05-09 8:34 AM

A week ago Sunday during a 10 mile run I experienced sharp pain in my right knee when pushing off.  It was immediately following a downhill portion.  I stopped running and walked a tenth of a mile (no pain when walking).  Pain felt like it was just south of the patela.  I was able to begin running again and finished the run (four more miles at that point).

I ran some last week but experienced pain every once in a while so I started to wear a soft brace that I think helped a bit.  It seems like the pain is very apparent when putting lateral force on the knee.  Other times it presents like when carrying a basket of clean clothes up the stairs.  The pain is definitely intermittent and has not presenetd itself but 2 or 3 times a day.

I have iced it a bit and taken some ibuprofen - both of which seem to help.  I decided yesterday morning to skip my 12 mile planned run due to thinking the rest would be better than any fitness gains from that one long run.

My question is what I should do going forward.  I am one month out from a half marathon so I am hoping to not take a week off.  If anyone has any experience ith similar pain any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks.

UPDATE - So I took this morning off as well.  My training plan called for a 5 mile easy run.  My knee hasn't had any sharp pain at odd times for the last day and just a bit of general soreness later last evening.  I was thinking of testing it tonight with a easy run?  I don't mind discomfort or even some pain but am trying to find the balance between continuing to train and washing out the rest of my season with a more srious injury.

Edited by dangremond 2011-05-10 7:52 AM

2011-05-10 10:14 AM
in reply to: #3491034

User image

Master
Dallas
dangremond - 2011-05-10 7:50 AM
dangremond - 2011-05-09 8:34 AM

A week ago Sunday during a 10 mile run I experienced sharp pain in my right knee when pushing off.  It was immediately following a downhill portion.  I stopped running and walked a tenth of a mile (no pain when walking).  Pain felt like it was just south of the patela.  I was able to begin running again and finished the run (four more miles at that point).

I ran some last week but experienced pain every once in a while so I started to wear a soft brace that I think helped a bit.  It seems like the pain is very apparent when putting lateral force on the knee.  Other times it presents like when carrying a basket of clean clothes up the stairs.  The pain is definitely intermittent and has not presenetd itself but 2 or 3 times a day.

I have iced it a bit and taken some ibuprofen - both of which seem to help.  I decided yesterday morning to skip my 12 mile planned run due to thinking the rest would be better than any fitness gains from that one long run.

My question is what I should do going forward.  I am one month out from a half marathon so I am hoping to not take a week off.  If anyone has any experience ith similar pain any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks.

UPDATE - So I took this morning off as well.  My training plan called for a 5 mile easy run.  My knee hasn't had any sharp pain at odd times for the last day and just a bit of general soreness later last evening.  I was thinking of testing it tonight with a easy run?  I don't mind discomfort or even some pain but am trying to find the balance between continuing to train and washing out the rest of my season with a more srious injury.

Make sure the first couple of miles are super easy and stop immediately if ANY pain arises.
2011-05-10 11:35 AM
in reply to: #3487721

User image

Expert
Guatemala
older2533 - 2011-05-08 9:37 AM

Hey all.  Did my warmup 5k.  Ran it as a real race.  21:12 to run 3.14 miles according to my Garmin.  Running 5k (3.11 miles) at 21:12 is a pace of 6:49, which is pretty much the pace I was pushing for (6:50).  

Splits were 6:46, 6:53, 6:42 and last little part at a 5:51 pace.   The 6:46 pace for the first mile is where I add 5 seconds to my Garmin's 6:41 due to an autopause (next time turn it off!).   

Beautiful day.  Huge number of people.  

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/84273270

Congratulations Chris that is a really good time for your 5K, keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Gabriel

2011-05-10 11:45 AM
in reply to: #3490708

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
You all can find me also.  Jennie Putnam  [email protected]
2011-05-10 3:25 PM
in reply to: #3436601

User image

Houston, Texas

Ernesto, I'm sure you'll come out of your slump (if one could even call it that) and do well at IM Texas.  Just remember the vast majority of people who couldn't even attempt such a feat.  In the opinion of one who's never done such a race, there's no such thing as finishing an IM poorly.

I'm traveling this week, so training is spotty.  I'm in Georgia and while the pool is inadequate for any reasonable training, I think I'll still be able to get a run in tomorrow.  Trying to decide between a treadmill (exact but boring) and an outdoor trail (unpaved but interesting).  I did finally get my HRM working with my Garmin, but of course I didn't bring it on this trip (doh!).

One last thing, is this group geared more toward experiened athletes?  I've noticed the folks you respond to are mostly doing Oly/HIM/IM level events.  Everyone seems to have a plan in place and are tweaking it with your guidance.  Though I've done four sprints, I'm still looking for a training plan to help me get to the next level.  There is so much that I don't know, perhaps my questions are too broad or open ended for this forum?  That's perfectly understandable, I would just like to know so I don't take up your time, and perhaps can find a group to help a non-athlete like myself get to where most of you are (or seem to be).

Thanks

Mike

2011-05-10 3:40 PM
in reply to: #3492163

User image

Master

Mike:

I think the group has a wide range of experience levels.  I've done a handul of sprints and half-marathons.  I'm still grappling with the swim and getting comfortable enough to want to do an olympic or longer.  I don't think any questions are too basic and I believe that we wouldn't have joined a mentor group if (1) we all needed help from time to time and (2) we all wanted to help from time to time.

So...ask away!

-Mitch

2011-05-10 5:39 PM

User image

Master
Dallas
mikjamlec - 2011-05-10 3:25 PM

Ernesto, I'm sure you'll come out of your slump (if one could even call it that) and do well at IM Texas.  Just remember the vast majority of people who couldn't even attempt such a feat.  In the opinion of one who's never done such a race, there's no such thing as finishing an IM poorly.

I'm traveling this week, so training is spotty.  I'm in Georgia and while the pool is inadequate for any reasonable training, I think I'll still be able to get a run in tomorrow.  Trying to decide between a treadmill (exact but boring) and an outdoor trail (unpaved but interesting).  I did finally get my HRM working with my Garmin, but of course I didn't bring it on this trip (doh!).

One last thing, is this group geared more toward experiened athletes?  I've noticed the folks you respond to are mostly doing Oly/HIM/IM level events.  Everyone seems to have a plan in place and are tweaking it with your guidance.  Though I've done four sprints, I'm still looking for a training plan to help me get to the next level.  There is so much that I don't know, perhaps my questions are too broad or open ended for this forum?  That's perfectly understandable, I would just like to know so I don't take up your time, and perhaps can find a group to help a non-athlete like myself get to where most of you are (or seem to be).

Thanks

Mike

Please by no means think that this group is ONLY for experienced athletes, there's certainly all levels here and that is the whole point. The group feeds on the energy and eagerness of the "newbies" and less experienced athletes get feedback from people that has already been down the path a little more.

Please ask any questions, no such thing as a ridiculous one. I wish I had chances to ask when I started, it would have save me some trouble...

2011-05-10 5:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

Same here Mike...  I have completed two Sprints at this point.  I have my training plan together for the next race but only thanks to my husband putting it together.  This forum has such a mix it's great.  I read everyones posts to get tips and ideas.  It also helps me formulate my own questions.  I get motivation for those more seasoned.  We are one big loving forum here!!!!!  I think we can all benefit from each other by our common goal and passion to be better in out sport and cross that finish line!

Jen

2011-05-10 5:49 PM

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
mikjamlec - 2011-05-10 3:25 PM

Thanks

Mike

Mike,

I started training in December of last year and have done ONE sprint tri.  I'm training to do an OLY in Oct, so I am still a beginner.  If you want to see beginner questions, go read the archived thread for this group.  All I did was hammer Ernesto and Mark with "newbie" questions.  At times they even said they appreciated my enthusiasm (you don't know any better when you're new).

My thought is you are "new" for at least one year Smile and no one can accuse you of asking stupid questions because you can't possibly know any better because you're new!  I've still got until December.

That's what makes the group so cool is that we can all benefit from each other.  Ask away so we can all learn.

2011-05-10 8:34 PM

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Gabriel,

Thanks for the encouragement.

Mike,

I agree with everyone else. This is for people at all stages. I've done exactly one triathlon, a sprint, last August. My first running race was in 2008 (at age 45), and then I didn't do another running race until last October.

Chris
2011-05-10 9:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Mike,

Just as everyone else said, this is a very diverse group in terms of experience. I'm coming from a running background and have been training but have yet to do my first triathlon. My first will be June 26, a sprint and then Aug 28th. (Chicago Tri, Olympic) I'm trying to get the hang of all of this too. For example today was the highest cadence I've ever averaged on the bike.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/84857664

Edited by baurryman 2011-05-10 9:05 PM

2011-05-10 11:07 PM

User image

Regular

Ernesto, updated the logs with bike rides since weekend.  Can you give some input whenever you get a chance? This is 3x more than I have ever done in a single week before. Still feeling pretty good on the legs. Smile Looks spinning entire winter is paying off.

Although avg speed rounds to be near same ball-park on every ride but the ride itself has a lot of spikes (on speed). It seems that I spike-up the speed and then fall down really low to recover. Although these spikes don't really feel taxing on the legs however they do slow me down drastically after every spike. Should I control the speed next time and try to contain in the same speed zone? I am trying to go for endurance... long, flat terrain.

Sudden drops are traffic-lights/intersections/crossings etc. Rest times are not included (stopped timer during break). Garmin connect links are on each bike ride record.

Should I try to record data with split times rather than 1 single record? Also, any tips on what fields should I monitoring on the device for optimal performance (device - FR305).

Thanks for the help!

2011-05-10 11:20 PM
in reply to: #3492606

User image

Master
Dallas
baurryman - 2011-05-10 9:01 PM

Mike,

Just as everyone else said, this is a very diverse group in terms of experience. I'm coming from a running background and have been training but have yet to do my first triathlon. My first will be June 26, a sprint and then Aug 28th. (Chicago Tri, Olympic) I'm trying to get the hang of all of this too. For example today was the highest cadence I've ever averaged on the bike.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/84857664

Great workout Barry! when I look at a session I look for EXECUTION and you did that pretty well. HR is even and good and that is the average cadence that you should always ride with. At the beginning it will be dificult but over time it will be second nature.

People thinks that to be a good cyclist you need strong legs only. WRONG!, if that was true, all the gigantic dudes squatting 800lbs would be great cyclists. The truth is that a pair of legs that "fire" constantly at 90RPM or more win competitions. Strength gains are important too but much easier to attain, but still don't even come close to the gains from neuro-muscular training that you will get from the high turnover.

2011-05-10 11:37 PM
in reply to: #3492737

User image

Master
Dallas
ironbaby - 2011-05-10 11:07 PM

Ernesto, updated the logs with bike rides since weekend.  Can you give some input whenever you get a chance? This is 3x more than I have ever done in a single week before. Still feeling pretty good on the legs. Smile Looks spinning entire winter is paying off.

Although avg speed rounds to be near same ball-park on every ride but the ride itself has a lot of spikes (on speed). It seems that I spike-up the speed and then fall down really low to recover. Although these spikes don't really feel taxing on the legs however they do slow me down drastically after every spike. Should I control the speed next time and try to contain in the same speed zone? I am trying to go for endurance... long, flat terrain.

Sudden drops are traffic-lights/intersections/crossings etc. Rest times are not included (stopped timer during break). Garmin connect links are on each bike ride record.

Should I try to record data with split times rather than 1 single record? Also, any tips on what fields should I monitoring on the device for optimal performance (device - FR305).

Thanks for the help!

Ironbaby,

Number 1 and most important, training volume increments should be done in no more than 10 or 15% a week. Try to break the rule and it's spelled I-N-J-U-R-Y. Trust me here, your body needs time to adjust to the biomechanical changes of higher volume (curiously, speedwork is rarely the cause of injuries if you warm up properly).

You should not look for speed averages when riding because conditions change. If you are pedaling against 20mph sustained winds and uphill 7 degrees it would be crazy to ask yourself to hold 15mph, on the other hand, tailwind and downhill you could probably hit splits of 35mph at very low efforts.

So, my solution to you is set a heart rate (preferrably 180 minus your age) and try to maintain that number no matter what the conditions are (+/- 5BPM). This will expand your aerobic capacity and make you fast(er).

Now, on the other hand I see that your bike is good but your run is not quite up to par with your cycling. I think it could be a weight issue. I don't know your BMI but I know that the weight on the bike is very relative but running (being a weight bearing activity) makes the weight factor more obvious.

I suggest you read Maffetone's "Big book of Endurance Training and Racing" for some tips on training and weight management. You'll be surprised to know how easy it is to drop excess weight (without suffering starvation) and increase endurance.

Edited by evillarroel 2011-05-10 11:38 PM
2011-05-11 2:11 AM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.

I thought I would share this, because it represents a serious commitment... I got the ink done today, the last part of the 'Ironman thing'.

2011-05-11 6:31 AM

User image

South Jersey
Mike ~ Your not alone... I'm here and won't do my first Tri until June 11th!  Us newbie's need the wisdom of those who have gone through it already.  I read all the questions and glean what I can from the post.  It's also nice to have a place to "talk" about Tri's, I suspect my family and friends get tired of it so I try to tone it down....lol.

2011-05-11 7:01 AM

User image

South Jersey
Subject: Swim Sighting advice
Anyone have any tips/tricks on sighting?  I did my first couple OW swims, each time is slightly better.  I have a hard time figuring out where I am by looking to the sides (shoreline) I have to pick up my head an look for the buoy.  My legs drop and I struggle to get back in alignment.  Feels like I waste a lot of energy. 
2011-05-11 7:37 AM
in reply to: #3492755

User image

Regular
evillarroel - 2011-05-11 12:37 AMIronbaby,

Number 1 and most important, training volume increments should be done in no more than 10 or 15% a week. Try to break the rule and it's spelled I-N-J-U-R-Y. Trust me here, your body needs time to adjust to the biomechanical changes of higher volume (curiously, speedwork is rarely the cause of injuries if you warm up properly).

You should not look for speed averages when riding because conditions change. If you are pedaling against 20mph sustained winds and uphill 7 degrees it would be crazy to ask yourself to hold 15mph, on the other hand, tailwind and downhill you could probably hit splits of 35mph at very low efforts.

So, my solution to you is set a heart rate (preferrably 180 minus your age) and try to maintain that number no matter what the conditions are (+/- 5BPM). This will expand your aerobic capacity and make you fast(er).

Now, on the other hand I see that your bike is good but your run is not quite up to par with your cycling. I think it could be a weight issue. I don't know your BMI but I know that the weight on the bike is very relative but running (being a weight bearing activity) makes the weight factor more obvious.

I suggest you read Maffetone's "Big book of Endurance Training and Racing" for some tips on training and weight management. You'll be surprised to know how easy it is to drop excess weight (without suffering starvation) and increase endurance.

Not to rebuttal but just a clarification, the total of entire week is high because I rode 3x this week. Volume on individual rides was no more 15% increase though. Just trying to enjoy the nice weather since I was feeling properly rested. Should I reduce on number of rides/week? Over-training/injuries are as far as it gets away from my goal.

My warm-up is stretching for couple if mins and easy riding for initial mile or so. Same with running... quick stretch+walk for 5-6 mins before starting the run. Too less? Good enough?

Book ordered last week. Currently in shipping. Smile

2011-05-11 9:53 AM
in reply to: #3492794

User image

Expert
markz - 2011-05-11 2:11 AM

I thought I would share this, because it represents a serious commitment... I got the ink done today, the last part of the 'Ironman thing'.

Ouch!  Me thinks the ink is worse than the event.  Looks good on you though Wink

2011-05-11 9:55 AM
in reply to: #3492914

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Subject: RE: Swim Sighting advice
I struggle with sighting as well.  I've watched a lot of videos on you tube (goswim) but putting it into practice is so much different.  My Tri is this Sat so I hope after this one I can work it into training and get a handle on it.
2011-05-11 11:24 AM
in reply to: #3493357

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
jdiis - 2011-05-11 9:53 AM
markz - 2011-05-11 2:11 AM

Ouch!  Me thinks the ink is worse than the event.  Looks good on you though Wink

This is the first time in my life  I did ink and I thought the same, but turned out to be quite painless... Like being scratched superficially (Ok, maybe a bit worse than that).

2011-05-11 11:43 AM
in reply to: #3493605

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

Love your ink!!!

Jen

2011-05-11 11:49 AM
in reply to: #3492914

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Subject: RE: Swim Sighting advice

JulDee - 2011-05-11 7:01 AM Anyone have any tips/tricks on sighting?  I did my first couple OW swims, each time is slightly better.  I have a hard time figuring out where I am by looking to the sides (shoreline) I have to pick up my head an look for the buoy.  My legs drop and I struggle to get back in alignment.  Feels like I waste a lot of energy. 

It just gets better with practice. It also helps if you learn to swim straight without sighting. Close your eyes and find out which way you tend to turn, then learn to compensate. When you do sight, do it briefly, without interrupting your rhytm, do not take a breath when you do it or you will drink water and tilt your head too much. Practice, practice, practice.

2011-05-11 11:50 AM
in reply to: #3493643

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
jenputnam - 2011-05-11 11:43 AM

Love your ink!!!

Jen

Thanks Jen!

2011-05-11 12:45 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Garmin Issues and MAF Test

Finished the Two-Week Test.  Lost about 5 pounds.  Must have made a difference because everyone is commenting that I look great (Funny, I didn't even know that I looked not great).

Did a MAF Test before and after.  I saw improvement of over a minute per mile (still walk/run due to HR).

My Garmin still has issues.  For Mike and anyone else, Garmin support is terrific.  They are shipping me a new hard strap.  I have tried all the troubleshooting steps including aloe vera gel.  The HR is still flaky.  I have read that there is a known problem with their HR straps.  Don't hesitate to call or email them.  They are very responsive and the unit is great when working properly.  I can literally see the results on the graphs.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 84