BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ChrisM's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2011-05-23 10:33 PM
in reply to: #3441467

User image

Subject: RE: ChrisM's Mentor Group - CLOSED

Pauline,

There are many online videos about transition and as you do more, you get a system that is faster each time.  The key is to practice your transitiona and try nothing new on race day. 

Hills...I rode 42 miles fast with a friend who just qualified for the duathlon world race in Spain.  He is a really strong rider and I always struggle to stay with him but that is how you get stronger I guess.  Push yourself fast to get fast.  We completed the 42 miles in less than two hours with about a 10 mile an hour wind in our face or cross most of the time.  I ran trails yesterday and rode hills tonight.

When riding hills, what all do you guys do?  I would start at the bottom of the hill and push a much higher gear than normal for about 5-6 reps trying to work on strength at only about 50 cacence, spin down the hill.  Then I would work on spinning up the hills (95-100 cadense) for 5-6 reps then I did 5-6 reps in my normal hills pace of around 80-90. 

2011-05-24 9:23 AM
in reply to: #3513903

User image

Expert
This morning I was riding on the shore of Lake Ontario into a REALLY strong wind. This guy turns onto the road I am on from a secondary road just ahead of me. He is all decked out in his LIvestrong gear on an expen$ive Cervelo.  Well, I had to drop the hammer and try to catch him. He knows I am coming for him and doesn't want to get dusted by a fatty on a Giant OCR  (with baggy mt bike gear on!), so he turns off the lake road before the next intersection and smirks over his shoulder at me.  P U N K !
2011-05-24 9:27 AM

User image

Payson, AZ

Ha.  Love it. 

2011-05-24 10:50 AM

User image

Expert
Boston

I love the thrill of catching up with another rider!  Its like the hunt.

On another note:  YIKES!  42 miles in 2 hours?  Thats fast.  I thought I was doing good with 42 in 2:30. I guess that goes to show ya there is ALWAYs someone younger stronger and faster out there...just spurring me on to be my best!

2011-05-24 2:03 PM

I got sick on Sunday, and haven't really been able to train. Have sore throat, headache, fatigue but no fever. I wanted to ask you guys if you stop training whenever you get sick to rest up, decrease your training but still do some workouts, or just keep on going . My triathlon is in less than 3 weeks so I'm worried that if I take close to a week off due to sickness I'll 'lose' all the fitness I've gained these past few months. Thanks for sharing!
-Jennifer
2011-05-24 2:38 PM
in reply to: #3516411

User image

Payson, AZ

irony416 - 2011-05-24 12:03 PM I got sick on Sunday, and haven't really been able to train. Have sore throat, headache, fatigue but no fever. I wanted to ask you guys if you stop training whenever you get sick to rest up, decrease your training but still do some workouts, or just keep on going . My triathlon is in less than 3 weeks so I'm worried that if I take close to a week off due to sickness I'll 'lose' all the fitness I've gained these past few months. Thanks for sharing! -Jennifer

For me it depends on just what is sick.  From what you described I would likely still workout but with no intensity at all.  I find if I can move it makes me feel better.  It kind of would depend on the level of fatigue though.  At some point your body might just be saying "hey, enough already, time for some time off".  I'd probably never take close to a week though unless I was injured or had a fever (or there was that week of food poisoning.  ugh).  Mostly cause I'd go completely insane.

2011-05-24 8:02 PM
in reply to: #3516455

Lol. I see, thanks for your response. It makes sense. I think I'm going to get back into working out tomorrow; moving around definitely should help since sitting around feeling bad isn't really that fun
2011-05-25 6:29 AM
in reply to: #3516982

User image

Expert
It could be an allergy thing too. Up here  in the NE with all the rain we have had, there is pollen on the cars like a light snow fall every day.  I have noticed it affects my breathing and throat too.
2011-05-26 7:05 AM
in reply to: #3517351

User image

Veteran
Maryland

Got a nice run in this morning. Just a quick three miler.

Hope everyone has a great day!

2011-05-26 12:19 PM

User image

Hey guys ---  Sorry been sort in and out, work is crazy, gone last weekend and next etc etc etc.  Getting in workouts where I can fit them, not really following a plan.  But the running is coming along nicely, seem to be able to increase volume and pace so far (knock wood) without injury.....

So.  What's your next race and waht is your goal?

I am doing the Redondo Tri.  It's a .5 mile swim, 6 mile bike, 2 mile run, so weird distances but difficult as you are ON for an hour or so.  I haven't raced it for 3 years, been volunteering.  I race it as a Clydesdale.  In '06 I was :10 off third place, :40 or so off first.  The next year I improved about 2 minutes or so,,,,, and dropped to 7th!    I would have destroyed the AG the year prior with that time

It's a good lesson in it's about doing the best you can, and you can't control who else shows up.

So my goal is to drop another couple minutes and see if I can get on the podium.  My cycling has been sucky lately, but it's only 6 miles 

You?

2011-05-26 4:56 PM
in reply to: #3520145

User image

Expert
I don't think I am racing until July. I have not been able to swim due to my ear issues   But I have been riding,running, and lifting weights in great anticipation.....

2011-05-26 7:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Maryland
ChrisM - 2011-05-26 1:19 PM

Hey guys ---  Sorry been sort in and out, work is crazy, gone last weekend and next etc etc etc.  Getting in workouts where I can fit them, not really following a plan.  But the running is coming along nicely, seem to be able to increase volume and pace so far (knock wood) without injury.....

I am doing the Redondo Tri.  It's a .5 mile swim, 6 mile bike, 2 mile run, so weird distances but difficult as you are ON for an hour or so.  I haven't raced it for 3 years, been volunteering.  I race it as a Clydesdale.  In '06 I was :10 off third place, :40 or so off first.  The next year I improved about 2 minutes or so,,,,, and dropped to 7th!    I would have destroyed the AG the year prior with that time

It's a good lesson in it's about doing the best you can, and you can't control who else shows up.

So my goal is to drop another couple minutes and see if I can get on the podium.  My cycling has been sucky lately, but it's only 6 miles 

You?

Good luck!

2011-05-26 8:42 PM

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO

I just learned that falling behind on logging your workouts is not a great thing.  I think I got all the bike workouts logged, but am missing one run, and a couple swims.  Basically, anything in the Garmin I had, everything else I thought I would remember is now gone.

Headed to AZ for the weekend, so I should be able to get some swimming and running in, but am not bringing my bike.  Do I substitute additional swimming and/or running for not hitting my biking miles for the week?

2011-05-26 8:53 PM
in reply to: #3521042

User image

Payson, AZ
hoots - 2011-05-26 6:42 PM

I just learned that falling behind on logging your workouts is not a great thing.  I think I got all the bike workouts logged, but am missing one run, and a couple swims.  Basically, anything in the Garmin I had, everything else I thought I would remember is now gone.

Headed to AZ for the weekend, so I should be able to get some swimming and running in, but am not bringing my bike.  Do I substitute additional swimming and/or running for not hitting my biking miles for the week?

Welcome to my neck of the woods.  Ironically a storm is coming through here and your not going to want to bike anyways.  No rain, but the wind should get pretty wicked, depending on where you are going.  If it were me I'd split the difference.  Some extra swimming, a little extra running.  You don't want to really jump up the running

2011-05-26 8:58 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
No races for me until the HIM in Sept.  The HIM is not on an easy course so I am having a hard time determining a goal.  It looks somewhat similar to my last one, and in the same kind of environment (high desert) so I am thinking I can get under 6:30 if I don't blow the run, maybe 6 if I have a really awesome day.  As usual I am throwing a move and a major vacation in the training just to really up the challenge.  Sigh...  I am toying with throwing a sprint on the schedule (July) but I really hate pool swim tri's.  Kind of an issue in Tucson.  Not sure why they don't do more DU's here.
2011-05-27 12:14 AM

User image

Yeah, I wouldn't increase running too much, but maybe adding a day?  Or a  swim run brick?  I find those as hard as bike run bricks...

Kim - where is the Elephant Man tri?

2011-05-27 6:50 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
Elephant Man is in southern New Mexico, in a place called Elephant Butte, about halfway between Albuquerque and the border of Mexico.  Basically in the middle of no where. 
2011-05-27 7:32 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
Tucson has it's first 100 of the season in the forecast for today.  Only problem with that is it then starts to make it too warm to run the dogs in the morning as it never really cools off.  For now they are moving to shortened duties. I'll get them out for a mile or two and then drop them off at the house while I finish my run.  Kind of a pain but oh well.  There's no real chance to walk them during the day as the pavement just gets to hot for their paws and of course it never cools off at night.  Was still 85 when I went to bed last night. 
2011-05-27 8:45 PM
in reply to: #3521058

User image

Veteran
Maryland

bzgl40 - 2011-05-26 9:58 PM No races for me until the HIM in Sept.  The HIM is not on an easy course so I am having a hard time determining a goal.  It looks somewhat similar to my last one, and in the same kind of environment (high desert) so I am thinking I can get under 6:30 if I don't blow the run, maybe 6 if I have a really awesome day.  As usual I am throwing a move and a major vacation in the training just to really up the challenge.  Sigh...  I am toying with throwing a sprint on the schedule (July) but I really hate pool swim tri's.  Kind of an issue in Tucson.  Not sure why they don't do more DU's here.

You go girl!

2011-05-28 9:56 AM

User image

Expert
Boston
ChrisM - 2011-05-26 1:19 PM

You?

First race this season is June 18th - uphill bike race on Whiteface Mtn in NY.  I am definitely getting nervous!  8 miles of 8% grade. My goal is to finish under the clock - I think its 2 hours.  If this one goes well I will register for the Mt. Washington race in July.  8 miles at 12% - 21% at the summit!  I have hiked, rock and ice climbed, rappeled, camped, summited at midnight, wandered around in a white out on this mountain.  I still need to snowboard Tuckerman's Ravine do this bike race and someday do the foot race! 

I am spending these past 2 days resting.  I seemed to have caught the husbands chest cold...UGH!  Tomorrow is my long run.  I am hoping to make that workout!  I love running!

Edited by Seren 2011-05-28 9:58 AM
2011-05-30 11:52 AM
in reply to: #3522881

User image

Expert
Don't Want to make it any worse for you Seren, but blackflies are going to be terrible on Whiteface. Pack your skin so soft lotion! Its the only thing that keeps them from biting....

2011-05-30 3:29 PM
in reply to: #3521053

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
bzgl40 - 2011-05-26 7:53 PMIronically a storm is coming through here and your not going to want to bike anyways.  No rain, but the wind should get pretty wicked, depending on where you are going.

Thanks the the front dropout the temperature, I was able to get outside and run this morning! It was in the high 70's when I started, a surprise for this time of year.
2011-05-30 6:49 PM

User image

Los Angeles

Back to my program after taking a week off....

My race schedule is:  

Goleta Beach Triathlon  7/31,  Amica 19.3 Las Vegas 8/28,  LA Triathlon 9/25, Day at the Beach 10/9, Amica 19.3 Phoenix 11-5.   My ultimate goal is the Californa 70.3, 3/31/12.  

2011-05-31 7:09 AM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Hey gang, hope your Memorial Day weekend was good, mine was. I think I set a sleeping record! yesterday had a 2 hour nap, followed by a 6 hour nap, and then a 6 hour night of sleep!

Had a 5k yesterday and did OK for me. I need to be more consistent with the running. I had a good swim this week, but need to add another. Have not been on my bike at all.

Rejoining the Tri-2-One team for June, see if I can open water swim with them. I'm such a chicken-sh#&t. I can get in a couple bike rides too.

Hang tough everybody, it's getting hot and humid here in Miami... overnight low? what's that?
2011-05-31 12:07 PM

User image

Hey all, back from New Orleans.  A few dollars poorer, a few pounds heavier.  MAN, I don't know how people in the south train in that weather.  It was 90 + 90 pretty much every day, brought my shoes etc. but no way I was going to run in that.  I am used to 75 here, with a heat wave at 85.

Anyway, I bought Macca's book before we left and read it over the weekend.  It's a pretty good read, he has the bona fides but I do get a little sick of the "I'm the only triathlete that's ever thought of 'X,' I am so unconventional...."  At any rate, I got some good stuff out of the book, like

-During a race, you know it's going to hurt.  Everyone hurts.  It's what you do with it.  Do you embrace it?  Or do you try to avoid it?  What's the difference in outcome when you do those two things?

-Stopping the negative thoughts is crucial.  "I don't do well in heat,"  "I'm too big for that race," "That guy always beats me," etc. etc.  The answer isn't oh well, deal with those, it's how do you address those so that when those thoughts come up in a race you know how to deal with them?  Those thoughts are almost automatically self-defeating.

There's a couple others, I need to skim through the book again, but I think it's a pretty good read.  Eve for those of us that aren't racing IMs.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ChrisM's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 20