BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ChrisM's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2011-04-11 11:48 PM

User image

Subject: ChrisM's Mentor Group - CLOSED

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Now

NAME: ChrisM... ummmm...  Chris

STORY: 44 year old clyde living and training in Torrance, California.  Was a water polo player in college but never really swam.  Never ran.  Biked occasionally. Doing tris for me is playing against type for sure.

Started tris in 2005 with  sprint, next year Olys, next year HIMs, then IM in 2008.  Bunches of sprints, a few Olys, 5 HIMs and 1 IM, as well as an IM DNF.  Since 2009 I've had to deal with a couple medical issues that I thought would keep me out of tris, but I've muddled through and plan on coming back for 2011.  Or have, as I just did Calif. 70.3 last weekend.  So I am on my way, starting back from "scratch".  I train and race to have a good time, not only to have a good time, if you know what I mean.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to a very supportive wife, have a 19 year old cat that still chases down birds.

CURRENT TRAINING: Depends on the upcoming races, right now all short stuff but would like to make 2011 the year I learn how to run.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  HIM in 2011 completed 4/2/11.  Not sure about the rest of the year.  Definitely a couple sprints and at least one Oly.   A couple OW swims.  Potentially Alcatraz Challenge and perhaps SOS

WEIGHTLOSS: Was 275 before I started tris, lost that when I began swimming more.  Since doing tris I've fluctuated 225-240. Would love to be 210.....

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I've been on BT a loooong time.  Since September 2004 I think, so this year will be 7 years.  I've learned a lot in that time. And gone through a lot.   I am not a coach.  I know a little about power.  I am not a very fast runner.  In  other words, I won't be able to answer most all technical questions.  I just enjoy training with my friends and then going out and racing.  I have a little bit of a different perspective because I thought tris were taken away from me for a while, so just getting to the start line and participating right now is enough for me.   Although I do like to do the best I can every race, sometimes I just want to enjoy the day. 

The swim is my strength so I think I have something concrete to offer there.

I think I have something to offer new and not so new BTers, and I also think they have something to offer to me.  I am on BT way too much   a lot plenty.  BT has given me a lot.  I think being a mentor will help my training and get me "out of myself" by giving something back

That's my story, and I am sticking to it.

Welcome

Edited by ChrisM 2011-05-02 3:14 PM

2011-04-25 5:47 PM
in reply to: #3441467

User image

Los Angeles
Subject: RE: ChrisM's Mentor Group - OPEN

From the LA area too!!!   I do have a couple of things going in the next few weeks,  Police Unity Tour Ride- NJ to DC in first week of May and Fargo 1/2 marathon , when I get back from DC.  After that I am full go....looking to do about 5 sprint tris then summer in Clydes Catagory.   Done 2 this year, Race at the Base and Pasadena Tri.  Finished in 3rd in Clyde division at the Pasadena Tri.   So If you accept me, I am in!!

2011-04-25 5:48 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-04-26 12:22 PM
in reply to: #3465394

Welcome Brent!  Congrats on the podium in Pasadena?

What races are you looking to do?  I am currently signed up for Redondo, Breath of Life Oly, and will be registering for Playa del Rey in Oct. 

2011-04-26 9:07 PM

Los Angeles
I hope to do 4-5 tris this summer.  I am thinking of starting off the summer with Strawberry Fields, July 17th.  Dont know yet for sure what other ones I will be doing, I am trying to set my schedule with family vacations etc....  I should know here pretty quick.  I am think of also do the LA Triathlon, Sept 25th.    Thank you for the welcome and looking forward to this group and your mentorship.  
2011-04-27 7:50 AM

Expert
Boston

Hey Chris.  I wasn't gonna join a group this spring until I saw your group.  I've been stalking following you around BT for a couple of years and I even stole one of your sayings.  

SO...about me: 45 years old. Always the athletic type startiing with high school swim team, gymnastics, horse shows, bodybuilding, mountaineering and now triathlons.  This will be my third season.  I injured myself running on the beach in my first season and have been trying to "outrun" them ever since.  I am hoping to do San Juan 70.3 next year and CHallange Wanaka in NZ in 2013.  So this year I hired a coach to help me with the running portion.  As a result I am really not racing triathlons seriously this year but I am helping the hubby get into them.  We are doing a duathlon together May 28 and doing an off road sprint as a relay with him in AUgust.  But what is really jazzing me this year is racing up the auto roads on several mountains with the bike.  Whiteface Mtn (8% grade for 7.5 miles) in NY is first on June 18 and then depending on how that goes, Mt. washington in NH (12-18% grade for 8 miles with 22% thrown in at the summit)

Seren

Edited by Seren 2011-04-27 7:54 AM

2011-04-27 2:34 PM

Expert
Boston
You know I'm kidding about the stalking. Just trying to be humorous
2011-04-27 5:41 PM

Los Angeles

LOL  pretty sure Chris has a good sense of humor!!!

My weak point is the swim...I hope to maybe get some tips....not a great swimmer technique wise.  

We are all around the same age...am 45 yrs old too!!

2011-04-27 5:51 PM
in reply to: #3469616

Seren - 2011-04-27 12:34 PM You know I'm kidding about the stalking. Just trying to be humorous

Darn.  I was kinda hoping to get my first...     Welecome Serenity...  Brent, Serenity and I are facebook friends.  I thought I was stalking her....

S - Interesting that you are getting Mike into tris.  My wife did one a couple years back, but I don't think they are for her.  It was fun seeing her try!

Yes, I jus moved up to the 45-49 AG.  Thankfully, I started late so i've only been in 40-44 and now 45-49.  All the old fast guys   

Brent - where do you swim?

Edited by ChrisM 2011-04-27 5:55 PM
2011-04-28 10:48 AM

Expert
Boston

Rode hills this morning. We have a great hill - 0.85 mile long - 8% grade with a little 12% in placees. Did 4 intervals this morning. Then came home, caught a quick bite and went back out for a run/bike brick with hubby.  Working on keeping my hips underneath me when I run and keep the chest open. 

My husband is a retired State Trooper.  Had to retire from a closed head trauma.  I started doing triathlons while helping him heal - physically and emotionally.   Last Xmas he was finally ready to make it to the gym for weight lifting and now he is ready to become an endurance athlete - which is completely new for him.  I really don't know if he is gonna like it or not.  He has never been one for competing.

I really hate the pool and can not wait til the weather gets just a wee bit warmer.  Then I will start my swims across Walden Pond.

Edited by Seren 2011-04-28 10:49 AM
2011-04-28 2:06 PM

New user

Hey everyone! I'm pretty far away - Brazil - but willing to enjoy the group too!   I'm preety much a starter on almost every level, quit smoking 1 year ago and would like to do at least one (and 1st) fast until the end of the year to celebrate it!

I really hope I can count with your help to reach that goal!

2011-04-28 6:05 PM

Welcome Helena!  I have a couple Brazilian friends here, and know people that did IM Brazil last year.   May even sneak down there for the WC in a couple years  

Do you have any races scheduled?  I can tell you the best way to start is to find one a few months away, and just sign up!  I know you are going into fall/winter, but wonder of they do them year round down there?

2011-04-28 6:07 PM

Serenity, I didn't know that about your husband.  Sounds like a tough road but you guys are making the best of it.  It's mike on FB, right?  You guys have a lot of expedition and adventure pics.  Is he still able to do that?
2011-04-28 10:47 PM
in reply to: #3470010

Los Angeles

I have been swimming at Rose Bowl Aquatic Center.  Will start doing more in my city at the local pool.  Would love to get a lesson or two.  

Seren- I am also in that line of work.  23 yrs.  So i know what its like.  This is my stress relieve. 

2011-04-29 6:22 AM
in reply to: #3472332

Expert
Boston

ChrisM - 2011-04-28 7:07 PM Serenity, I didn't know that about your husband.  Sounds like a tough road but you guys are making the best of it.  It's mike on FB, right?  You guys have a lot of expedition and adventure pics.  Is he still able to do that?

He gets tired easy so we have to work back up to spending all day in the mountains.  Hoping to go for a small day hike tomorrow.

2011-04-29 9:54 AM

Payson, AZ
Hey Chris, got room for more?  Swim is my weak point so this group is of special interest.  Well, technically they are all my weakness but especially the swim.

2011-04-29 11:50 AM

Gang,

I was hesitant to join but I am turning 45 in a month and everyone seems to be in the same age/boat.  I have always been an athlete and started tris after doing p90x a few years ago and trying to fight off affects of age.  Did NY marathon last year and several oly/ sprint tri. 

Swim is my weakness but forcing myself to get better as I am a sinker who tries to muscle the water (doesn't work)!

Happily married with four boys so training time is hard to get in sufficient quantities.

I hope to learn and contribute.

2011-04-29 12:01 PM

Welcome Kim and Brent.  Plenty of room.  And don't be shy. 

Rose Bowl Aquatics, I am jealous as I've heard good things about that place!  Also jealous of swimming in Walden......

For those that are local (which I guess is just Brent)  on Sunday mornings at 11 am there is a beginner ocean swim "clinic" at Redondo Pier.  It's run by LA tri but it's really an open thing.  Basically a quick jog down the beach and about an 800 yard swim back.  Sometimes repeated if people are up for it.  Good way to get in some ocean experience. 

Edited by ChrisM 2011-04-29 12:02 PM
2011-04-29 2:09 PM

Payson, AZ

OK, I'll start with the questions.   First a bit of background on my athletic "career".  I've done a few marathon's, various other road races, some centuries (one double), a fair amount of duathlon's (racing the national championship tomorrow actually) and about 2 years ago picked up swimming and started doing tri's.  I've done a few tri's in the sprint level distance with the swim length from very short (tri-it) to a long 1000yrd one, plus 1 HIM.  I do "ok" on the swim but am still stuck at 2:00/100yrds on a good day. 

I am quite comfortable in the water, I grew up playing in the water and I can dog paddle with the best of them.  I've had a few lessons and am for sure ready for more but one thing I seem to be having problem with is balance.  I actually feel like I have fairly good balance until I turn to breath.  I bi-lateral breath by the way.  I don't really notice it until I do drills.  For example, kicking with no kick board.  When I turn to breath I feel my whole body sink (making it hard to breath).  This sinking is messing up my stroke as I find I start my pull to early cause my arm (along with my whole body) starts to sink.

Any thoughts as to what might be causing me to sink, but typically only on the turn to breath?  I thought maybe I was lifting my head (and still haven't really ruled that out) but I have been really trying to concentrate on that.

2011-04-29 4:23 PM

Kim, I am no swim coach, but I am visualizing what you are saying.

First off, I HATE kicking with a passion.  So I don't do it much.  So I don't get better at it.  So I HATE it.  Vicious circle.

That said, when I do it, I think that kicking without a board is really best for balance drills.  Ie., I don't see much point in kicking on my stomach or back sans board, really going from side to side.  But I bet when you are turning to breathe your body position changes, probably your back arches a little, you slow down, and you start to sink.  This is what happens to me. 

I'd suggest getting a pair of zoomers to do those balance drills with.  You're really trying to learn balance, not increase kick, so I don't think you're losing anything with the zoomers.  Plus, they will help keep your speed up, and prevent the arched back, allowing you to turn to breathe without losing the proper position.

2011-04-29 4:25 PM

I'd encourage everyone (if you're not already) to use the BT logs.  Partly so when you ask a question we can take a look at the logs and get a better understanding of where you are.  Part of it is very cool to llok back and see how far you've come after using them for a while (or, alternatively, to get depressed at what good a shape you used to be in ).  Partly cuz they're dang cool.

2011-04-29 4:36 PM

Regular
Indiana

Hello everyone. My name is Mike and I have been doing everything I can to complete 4 sprint tris. this year. I am a newbie and just finished my first sprint 2 weeks ago and at least finshed the race. This group interests me because it seems like it could offer a lot for my lack of talent in the swim portion of these events.

I am also fairly new to BT and can't wait to work with everyone during this upcoming season.

Thank you and I hope you still have room for one more in this group.

Mike

2011-04-29 5:04 PM

Hi Chris and co. I am here in hot humid Houston Texas and getting ready for my 1st tri.A sprint tri in late June. I have run @ 6 marathons, started riding a road bike a few months back and just realized swimming is a lot harder than I thought! I am hoping to be able To swim 300m without stopping. I am also hoping that with The support and accountability that comes with being part of a group, I Can get to the start line. I am 44 and a mother of 2 great kids!Cheers!Lisa
2011-04-29 5:50 PM

Welcome Mike and Lisa!

I am stoked that we have so many (don't take the word the wrong way) newbies!   You guys are what is keeping th sport alive, some of us get jaded  

2011-04-29 5:56 PM

So far we have

1. Chris
2. Bret
3. Serenity
4. Brent
5.  Kim
6. Helena
7.  Mike
8.  Lisa

....  that everyone? 

I'd like to keep the group around 10, so a couple more before we close.  But don't be shy about posting questions here in the meantime, getting to know eachother....  Also, I'd highly recommend everyone adding everyone in the group to your Friends List here on BT, that way we can harass check up on you

I know people have already posted some of this, but how about everyone answer the following:

NAME:

STORY:

FAMILY STATUS:

CURRENT TRAINING:

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 

"A" RACE: 

GENERAL GOAL FOR THE YEAR:

WEIGHTLOSS ISSUES IF ANY:

WHAT AM I LOOKING TO GET OUT OF A MENTOR GROUP, AND WHAT WILL YOU BRING TO THE GROUP :

Edited by ChrisM 2011-04-29 5:58 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ChrisM's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 20