Other Resources Challenge Me! » June Battle of the Triathlon Sports Challenge Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2011-06-16 6:15 PM
in reply to: #3525836

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: June Battle of the Triathlon Sports Challenge
I did and easy ride in my neighborhood tonight.......skies were threatening rain so I kept it short and easy.

2011-06-16 6:15 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast

Happy Friday everyone! I am excited for the weekend but at a bit of a loose end trying to decide what workouts to do - this never happens! I have reffing tomorrow as usual but was going to go on a group ride in the morning. 2 weeks into this group ride thing and I am already over it. I don't want to go so I think I may just not go - I keep telling myself thats ok! So maybe a lie in tomorrow then a spin class and reffing and a long-ish solo ride on Sunday...No idea what I am doing tonight, hmmm, maybe I should actually swim!

Anyone racing this weekend?

2011-06-16 7:13 PM
in reply to: #3553266

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
rh8463 - 2011-06-16 4:15 PM

I'll be doing a race, just not sure which one.  My original plan was to drive up to Oregon and do a XTERRA.  But, I'm really not too excited about the drive, about 11 hours.  So, if I stay home, I need to decide between a couple of options.  I could do an olympic tri on Saturday.  Or, I could do an 8 hour mountain bike race on Saturday and then do a super sprint tri on Sunday.

Hmmm... decisions, decisions.  I only wish the mountain bike race and the olympic tris were on seperate days.

2011-06-16 7:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary

OK: Life is BACK TO NORMAL! Smile

I am finally over that nasty cold; I got my property levelled and sodded, put down a walk-way, and planted a few trees and cut in and planted a flowerbed (still one flowerbed to cut in and plant, then some patio stones to lay, but then I'm done!); the parents have gone home; and my week-long course with the RCMP finished today (and I passed, lol) ...

I look forward to normal.

I have been swimming every morning. But that's about all I've been doing. No running, no biking, no yoga - I have a 5K on Sunday and a sprint tri in 3 weeks, and I'm terribly underprepared. Oh well. I can only do so much. Undecided

OH - I don't think I updated you all - did I? Can't remember ... but re: that job I applied and interviewed for that I wanted so bad - THEY CANCELLED THE JOB POSTING! ... grrrrrr ... HR screwed up on the wording of the posting in the list of competencies or some such thing - so as a result they had some people apply that shouldn't have (or something like that, HR was pretty cagey when they called) and the union didn't like it. So they had to pull the posting ...
They did re-post, and I did re-apply - but it's starting from scratch.
It's painful, as I know I was short-listed after the interview. And it's different people handling the posting this time around ...

Grrrrrrrr....

Speaking of the union - we narrowly avoided a strike vote today! At the last minute the City and our union agreed on a new contract (we've been without since January) ... what drama. I don't believe strikes are good for anyone, and was totally against it, but unfortunately I was in the minority in that belief. So thankfully it was averted. Like I said - back to normal. :-)

What's everyone doing for the weekend? It's Monsoon June here so lots of rain, so my plan is just to eat properly (no good food in the RCMP cafeteria) and drink lots of water and get lots of rest and do easy workouts, to get myself hydrated and fueled and ready to get back into the swint of things for Monday. And take a few days off swimming, I can smell the chlorine on myself so you know it's bad. Laughing

2011-06-16 7:41 PM
in reply to: #3547463

User image

Veteran
Calgary
Emmanem - 2011-06-13 7:56 PM

Standings:

Swim Team: 29.76%

Bike Team: 29.36%

Run Team: 37.81%

I would just like to point out that the swim team is winning ... Laughing

2011-06-16 8:40 PM
in reply to: #3553318

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
bodhi_girl - 2011-06-17 12:16 PM

OH - I don't think I updated you all - did I? Can't remember ... but re: that job I applied and interviewed for that I wanted so bad - THEY CANCELLED THE JOB POSTING! ... grrrrrr ... HR screwed up on the wording of the posting in the list of competencies or some such thing - so as a result they had some people apply that shouldn't have (or something like that, HR was pretty cagey when they called) and the union didn't like it. So they had to pull the posting ...
It's painful, as I know I was short-listed after the interview. And it's different people handling the posting this time around ...

Grrrrrrrr....

We should start a Recruiters Beware group.  I feel for you.

I originally applied for the role I'm currently after in February.  The role was then put on hold for 3 months, interviewed for the role on the 26 May, did really well and then got told at the end they would have a decision by the end of the next week.

I hear nothing until a fortnight later: "It's between you and another person, your both so close.  Would you mind doing a psych test?"  Even though I know that allowing a psych test to determine the final candidate is illegal, I still agree to do it.

2 weeks later, and I'm still without an answer.  The worse part of this is the role is in HR and is involved with making alot of changes within the organisation.  Even if the role comes through for me now, I'm not sure I will have the decisive management support required to do the job properly.

Why did I even consider going back to the public service?

2011-06-16 8:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne

No racing this weekend.

I'm doing the Dad thing with the kids tonight and tomorrow night so the wife can go out with her friends.  I'm guessing that means Saturday and Sunday morning will be good long bike rides, or long trainer sessions in the shed if the weather is not good.

2011-06-16 8:58 PM

User image

Master
Albany, NY

No racing this weekend for me...  but supposedly "racing" next weekend.  I put that in quotes since I am horribly underprepared.  But I love the shirts from this race!

This weekend involves both sets of parents staying at my house, dance dress rehearsal Fri night, recital Sat afternoon, the guys are going fishing on Sat morning and we'll probably do a Fathers Day breakfast on Sunday before I kick the inlaws out the parents have to go home.  I'll also be trying to balance on top of my Dad's ladder in my staircase trying to paint WAY up high without killing myself at some point this weekend.  Oh, I should probably get some exercise in too at some point.

2011-06-16 9:13 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

no races for me either

I did email someone about the ocean 1 miler to find out if there's race day reg.  he hasn't replied yet.

2011-06-16 9:21 PM
in reply to: #3553314

User image

Master
Gold Coast
brick94513 - 2011-06-17 10:13 AM

I'll be doing a race, just not sure which one.  My original plan was to drive up to Oregon and do a XTERRA.  But, I'm really not too excited about the drive, about 11 hours.  So, if I stay home, I need to decide between a couple of options.  I could do an olympic tri on Saturday.  Or, I could do an 8 hour mountain bike race on Saturday and then do a super sprint tri on Sunday.

Hmmm... decisions, decisions.  I only wish the mountain bike race and the olympic tris were on seperate days.

I vote for mtb and super sprint - 2 races are always better than one!

2011-06-16 9:24 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast
bodhi_girl - 2011-06-17 10:16 AM

I am finally over that nasty cold; I got my property levelled and sodded, put down a walk-way, and planted a few trees and cut in and planted a flowerbed (still one flowerbed to cut in and plant, then some patio stones to lay, but then I'm done!); the parents have gone home; and my week-long course with the RCMP finished today (and I passed, lol) ...

I have been swimming every morning. But that's about all I've been doing. No running, no biking, no yoga - I have a 5K on Sunday and a sprint tri in 3 weeks, and I'm terribly underprepared. Oh well. I can only do so much. Undecided

Grrrrrrrr....

Speaking of the union - we narrowly avoided a strike vote today! At the last minute the City and our union agreed on a new contract (we've been without since January) ... what drama. I don't believe strikes are good for anyone, and was totally against it, but unfortunately I was in the minority in that belief. So thankfully it was averted. Like I said - back to normal. :-)

What's everyone doing for the weekend? It's Monsoon June here so lots of rain, so my plan is just to eat properly (no good food in the RCMP cafeteria) and drink lots of water and get lots of rest and do easy workouts, to get myself hydrated and fueled and ready to get back into the swint of things for Monday. And take a few days off swimming, I can smell the chlorine on myself so you know it's bad. Laughing

How frustrating! I'm sure you will fly through this time too - my fingers are crossed for you!

2011-06-16 11:35 PM

User image

Master
I have decided to drop out of the challenge... long story short I have a lot of stuff going on in my life right now that need my attention and I've reevaluated my goals for the year and I think a triathlon is out until I can get the job and house situation figured out.  I may be home for a week and a half and not even have access to a pool anymore so it just makes sense for me to drop out of the challenge.  I'll still be around to chat and give standing updates... Good luck everyone!!
2011-06-17 5:31 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
rh8463 - 2011-06-16 7:15 PM

Happy Friday everyone! I am excited for the weekend but at a bit of a loose end trying to decide what workouts to do - this never happens! I have reffing tomorrow as usual but was going to go on a group ride in the morning. 2 weeks into this group ride thing and I am already over it. I don't want to go so I think I may just not go - I keep telling myself thats ok! So maybe a lie in tomorrow then a spin class and reffing and a long-ish solo ride on Sunday...No idea what I am doing tonight, hmmm, maybe I should actually swim!

TGIF!! I think I earned it this week!!

Racing the Toronto Spartan Race on Sunday!! Paintballing on Saturday.

2011-06-17 5:33 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
bodhi_girl - 2011-06-16 8:16 PM

Grrrrrrrr....

That sucks!! (The job re-posting) just think of that as attempt one and go WOW them on round two. Well, wow them even more I mean!

2011-06-17 5:35 AM
in reply to: #3553574

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada

Emmanem - 2011-06-17 12:35 AM I have decided to drop out of the challenge... long story short I have a lot of stuff going on in my life right now that need my attention and I've reevaluated my goals for the year and I think a triathlon is out until I can get the job and house situation figured out.  I may be home for a week and a half and not even have access to a pool anymore so it just makes sense for me to drop out of the challenge.  I'll still be around to chat and give standing updates... Good luck everyone!!

Sorry to hear that! Hopefully everything comes together for you.

2011-06-17 8:11 AM
in reply to: #3553314

User image

Elite
far northern CA
brick94513 - 2011-06-16 5:13 PM

I'm racing too!  Well, I'll be running.  Not sure if I'll "race" it!  It's a 6.1 mile hilly run.  I've done pretty good on it in the past.  My running is just not going very well right now.  Each workout has been hit or miss.  Some of them are great and then the following one is dreadful.  Ugh!

Tim....where in OR?  Good luck with whatever race you decide on doing! 

2011-06-17 8:17 AM
in reply to: #3553349

User image

Elite
far northern CA
bodhi_girl - 2011-06-16 5:41 PM

Standings:

Is there some new math going on around here????  The run team is in first place, the swim team is in second place and the bike team is in third place.  Come on bike team!  Let's get going!!!! 
2011-06-17 9:17 AM
in reply to: #3553809

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA

owl_girl - 2011-06-17 6:11 AM

Tim....where in OR?  Good luck with whatever race you decide on doing! 

The race was in La Grande (Northeast, OR).  Unfortunately, those plans fell apart.  I was going to take my oldest som with me for company and a little camping trip at the same time.  But, out of the blue, my wife decided to take the kids down to the Grandparents.  I was less than enthused to make the drive alone.

So, it looks ike I will get to go to either Seattle or Denver next month instead.

Good luck with the run!

2011-06-17 9:22 AM
in reply to: #3553822

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
owl_girl - 2011-06-17 6:17 AM

Standings:

Is there some new math going on around here????  The run team is in first place, the swim team is in second place and the bike team is in third place.  Come on bike team!  Let's get going!!!! 

I think its that new math they teach in our public schools.  Be careful though, you can't actually tell someone their wrong, you might hurt their self-esteem....

As for swimming, I'm just a swim session from hitting my goal.  I'll probably up my goal for the month since I was swimming a lot more in the beginnning of the month.

Come on swimmers, get in that water!

2011-06-17 9:25 AM
in reply to: #3553822

User image

Veteran
Calgary
owl_girl - 2011-06-17 7:17 AM

Standings:

Above are clearly  not the UPDATED totals - I've mentioned before and I'll say again that I'm lazy in a spreadsheeting kind of way. The updated totals are below, and clearly the swim team is way ahead:

Swim Team: 62%

Bike Team: 50%

Run Team: 36%

2011-06-17 9:40 AM
in reply to: #3553964

User image

Elite
far northern CA
bodhi_girl - 2011-06-17 7:25 AM
owl_girl - 2011-06-17 7:17 AM

Standings:

Above are clearly  not the UPDATED totals - I've mentioned before and I'll say again that I'm lazy in a spreadsheeting kind of way. The updated totals are below, and clearly the swim team is way ahead:

Ah ha!!!  Much better!  How did the run team drop percentage?  Someone must have added to their goal. 

2011-06-17 4:00 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA
A fantastic swimmer friend of mine helped me with flip turns today.  I was so very grateful for her help.  It was comedy at it's finest!  She said I was doing something that she has never seen before and she needed to do some research.  It was something having to do with a weird little twist I was doing.  Regardless, I did some 50's and practiced my "flip turn" during each one.  Even with my comical/hideous flip, my 50's are the same time as my 50's with an open turn.  When I get these things mastered, my times are going to improve dramatically!  She also worked on my swim form a little.  Nothing major, though.
2011-06-17 5:11 PM
in reply to: #3554830

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA

owl_girl - 2011-06-17 2:00 PM A fantastic swimmer friend of mine helped me with flip turns today.  I was so very grateful for her help.  It was comedy at it's finest!  She said I was doing something that she has never seen before and she needed to do some research.  It was something having to do with a weird little twist I was doing.  Regardless, I did some 50's and practiced my "flip turn" during each one.  Even with my comical/hideous flip, my 50's are the same time as my 50's with an open turn.  When I get these things mastered, my times are going to improve dramatically!  She also worked on my swim form a little.  Nothing major, though.

Hahahaha... too bad you won't be flip turning in the lake.

2011-06-17 5:17 PM
in reply to: #3553964

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA

bodhi_girl - 2011-06-17 7:25 AM

The updated totals are below, and clearly the swim team is way ahead:

Swim Team: 68.85%

I just updated my totals.

2011-06-17 11:50 PM
in reply to: #3554906

User image

Elite
far northern CA
brick94513 - 2011-06-17 3:11 PM

owl_girl - 2011-06-17 2:00 PM A fantastic swimmer friend of mine helped me with flip turns today.  I was so very grateful for her help.  It was comedy at it's finest!  She said I was doing something that she has never seen before and she needed to do some research.  It was something having to do with a weird little twist I was doing.  Regardless, I did some 50's and practiced my "flip turn" during each one.  Even with my comical/hideous flip, my 50's are the same time as my 50's with an open turn.  When I get these things mastered, my times are going to improve dramatically!  She also worked on my swim form a little.  Nothing major, though.

Hahahaha... too bad you won't be flip turning in the lake.

No kidding! Tongue out

Just wait until you see my swim time in the tri in July!  Downstream in the Deschutes River!  Yeah baby! 
New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » June Battle of the Triathlon Sports Challenge Rss Feed  

of 18