BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 61

2011-12-30 9:33 AM
in reply to: #3961687

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!!
Ah, I wish I could help Michelle, but I've never imported one... I'm sure someone else will be able to help.... I usually just keep a paper copy and enter it as I go, haven't tried to actually upload one... hope you get it worked out!!!

2011-12-30 10:14 AM
in reply to: #3961655

User image

New user
KY
hildekq - 2011-12-30 8:33 AM

Erin, if you can't see someone's logs, THEY have to add YOU as a friend... who's logs are still blocked and I'll tell them to add you...

If you are reading this and haven't added ALL the MMMers, please do!!

I guess that is what I am asking- how to add MMMers.  Sorry, just a little clueless here.  And I can't remember whose log I couldn't view but I will try and figure it out

2011-12-30 12:00 PM
in reply to: #3961921

User image

Expert
Falls Church
erinrockrun - 2011-12-30 10:14 AM
hildekq - 2011-12-30 8:33 AM

Erin, if you can't see someone's logs, THEY have to add YOU as a friend... who's logs are still blocked and I'll tell them to add you...

If you are reading this and haven't added ALL the MMMers, please do!!

I guess that is what I am asking- how to add MMMers.  Sorry, just a little clueless here.  And I can't remember whose log I couldn't view but I will try and figure it out

Go to Settings (upper part of BT)...then select Training Blog Customization...then select Friends.

2011-12-30 2:04 PM
in reply to: #3942391

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

That is so awesome that you scored a bike, Jen!! 

It's interesting that some of you have brought up the aero thing helping with cyclist's palsy...  I had some crazy nerve issues in my left forearm, wrist and thumb with my pregnancies, most likely carpal tunnel caused by swelling.  It has resolved for the most part except I notice that when I ride my hybrid and the spin bikes at the gym, my left wrist acts up again.  I think I did some long-term damage to that nerve and now it's turning into something like cyclist's palsy when I ride?  But only when I'm holding onto the handlebars.  I bet that the aero position would make it much more comfortable for my wrist!  Gives me some more to think about when it comes to bike buying time...

2011-12-30 5:16 PM
in reply to: #3962398

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kristen, a bit more about cyclist's palsy: when I got it, a couple of sessions of ART cured me. If I remember correctly, that stands for active release therapy. I got it from a chiropractor who is also an Ironman. It was pretty straightforward, and not terribly painful or expensive. A friend of mine had been struggling with a hip flexor injury for months when he got ART, and he was also curednin a couple sessions. I highly recommend it!
2011-12-30 5:33 PM
in reply to: #3962398

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
kpringle - 2011-12-30 3:04 PM

That is so awesome that you scored a bike, Jen!! 

It's interesting that some of you have brought up the aero thing helping with cyclist's palsy...  I had some crazy nerve issues in my left forearm, wrist and thumb with my pregnancies, most likely carpal tunnel caused by swelling.  It has resolved for the most part except I notice that when I ride my hybrid and the spin bikes at the gym, my left wrist acts up again.  I think I did some long-term damage to that nerve and now it's turning into something like cyclist's palsy when I ride?  But only when I'm holding onto the handlebars.  I bet that the aero position would make it much more comfortable for my wrist!  Gives me some more to think about when it comes to bike buying time...

This might sound obvious to some but it wasn't to me. Road bikes can typically be ridden for long distances without incident if you use the handlebars properly. The grip with your thumb and forefinger leading the way (like when you are holding the brakes or down in the horns) actually opens up the area for the nerve. If you have a straight bar, like many hybrids, or if you ride upright with your palms facing down and away from you (like a chinup) then you are likely going to have issues over a long distance because you are cutting off the nerve. I learned that lesson the hard way, myself.

2011-12-30 5:35 PM
in reply to: #3962184

User image

New user
KY

Go to Settings (upper part of BT)...then select Training Blog Customization...then select Friends.

Thank you, Melanie!  I will do that

2011-12-30 5:36 PM

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
Also, I am a bad teammate and haven't added the new folks as friends so you can see my empty training log yet. Please don't take it personally, I have just been really busy but will try to take care of it this weekend.
2011-12-30 5:56 PM
in reply to: #3961606

Extreme Veteran

sounds like a great clothing collection melanie

Hilde - So is it a good idea to do a few full/ extra distance bricks before the race?

2011-12-30 6:07 PM
in reply to: #3961686

Extreme Veteran

Hilde - That's sort of what I was looking at for my mini-sprint last year (which never happened due to illness ) This year I'm looking at doing the build up stuff C25k & Beginner Exercise Program then an actual plan - would it help to do a beginner OLY plan to build on that?

Oh and I love the IM - seek medical help stuff - are there even plans out there for ultra tri's? (insert scared smiley,lol)

2011-12-30 6:10 PM
in reply to: #3961520

User image

Veteran
peggyf - 2011-12-30 7:16 AM
TTucker - 2011-12-29 7:59 PM

I have my Felt Fit for women F95 Roadie and I love it. Yes, I would also LOVVVVVE to have a new, more fabulous Tri back but like several others mentioned - money is an issue. My husband squeeeks when he walks if that gives you any indication of how careful I have to be when asking for anything NEW and possibly EXPENSIVE.

The newly installed aerobars are going to be a Godsend and as someone else mentioned, and I just said to my husband today - All the new gear in the world won't make one ANY faster w/o lots of (ie PRACTICE!)

New gear wish list: Tri Bike (Quintana Roo CDO1 preferably!)

New bike gloves

New  bike shoes! (Toes were PI$$ED off today!!

For those of you looking to upgrade: DEFINITELY shop around!!

The aerobars today were a real treat! I tend to go down into the 'drops' going up hills and today rather than doing that I hung out in the aero position....It's new for me but I can tell - I will LOVE IT.....

I'm thinking maybe I'd like the aero bars.  I always thought I'd just go with clip on aeros instead of a tri bike.  But the bike trainer was on my Christmas list this year.  Sounds like many of you think the aero position is best for really long distances.  If I'm gonna do a HIM maybe I should consider the purchase this year.  If there's one thing you can say for us tri people its that we're all "gear heads" -- love buying "stuff" don't we!  Can't believe how much I've spent on this sport!  It's partially what keeps me at it -- have to get my money's worth, right? Laughing

Peggy, I've always wanted the aerobars and now that the HIM and an Oly is on my TO DO list for the next season I am sooooo glad my santa was nice enough to buy them for me!! LOL  I've seen the way our illustrious mistress and task master (aka Hilde) POWERS up hills using them so I am ready to get started putting them to good use! :-)

I am a "gear head" in the tri world and in my daily life. I like to have gear that makes my life as easy as possible. From the double oven in my kitchen, my 'smart' phone in my pocket and the ipad and nook at my table and laptop....well, on my LAP....To the garmin on my wrist, heart rate monitor around my middle and aerobars on my bike... :-))

2011-12-30 6:15 PM
in reply to: #3961687

User image

Veteran
arquillo - 2011-12-30 8:47 AM

HELP! I have spent all morning attempting to import my training plan for the next 11 weeks. I used the Import Template AND saved it in csv format, and I still can't seem to get this to work. Any thoughts or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated -  my computer is about to grow wings Yell

Thanks!
Michelle 

Hi Michelle!

I had the same issue. Followed the steps one by one and still nada. Wound up just printing the doggone thing out and posting it on my calendar for easy reference. I also post it in my blog ahead of time in an attempt to keep my honest. If you figure it out......SHARE PLEASE!! :-O

2011-12-30 6:51 PM
in reply to: #3962751

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
suzielea - 2011-12-30 5:56 PM

sounds like a great clothing collection melanie

Hilde - So is it a good idea to do a few full/ extra distance bricks before the race?

I don't think you have to do a full distance brick... I think if you come close to the bike distance and do a short run after that should be enough, just to get used to the feeling of crazy legs.  Of course if you want to be sure you CAN complete the distances, go for it.  Not so bad for a sprint, but I wouldn't want to go do a HIM or IM distance brick, ha ha!  Some people don't believe in bricks at all, and only do them on race day.  I never worry too much about swim to bike, but I do try to work on bike/run bricks occasionally. 

2011-12-30 9:42 PM
in reply to: #3954427

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
arquillo - 2011-12-26 7:59 PM

Holy lots of posts Batman! This group is awesome!!! I think my last mentor group might have had this many posts total for the whole season. Took me forever to catch up on just the forum posts from the last week. Hope to return some of the "inspires" soon. Sorry for the non-responses.... after reading through the forum, I realized I too was ignorant of how that worked Embarassed

Glad to hear everyone had a wonderful Christmas. Santa spoiled me rotten this year (although because I'm a tri newbie and can't afford much gear own my own, it's pretty much all I asked for this year).

• Garmin 305 - Took advantage of the rare beautiful December weather today to play with it. What a SUPER cool gadget  
  • Bontrager cycling shoes
  • iPod nano (Yeah for no arm band!)
  • running tights
  • tri top
  • and cash (to purchase a Cycleops Fluid 2 trainer)
  • cycling gloves
  • mini-presta pump

Happy training this week (for those of you aren't waiting until next week)! My jeans have begun protesting, so I decided not to wait. Tongue out

~Michelle

Double $hit...I am so far behind on the forum...I gotta get myself back to a normal schedule...the kiddo stuff is killing me..haha....Michelle - I have the little iPod shuffle....and you're right, no arm band or anything is such a relief...I love the little shuffle...just clips onto my shirt or whatever and stays there!!!  And the battery last a long time.

2011-12-30 9:46 PM
in reply to: #3954923

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
hildekq - 2011-12-27 9:30 AM

Dang, I must be sleeping or something when you guys get to gabbing over here!!

Vanessa... once you hit the reply button on an inspire, a box will pop up and usually the other person's blog... if you can't see the inspire box, it's probably UNDER their blog page, so close out their page and you should see it.  Don't worry, once you do it once you'll know what to do!

Man, you guys got some super swag for Xmas... trainers, clothing, a Garmin 305 (my one HAVE TO HAVE it item!), whoo hoo!!!!  Yep, we have a multitude of bikes out there too... and Alex actually has TWO new bikes, a roadie AND a tri bike, but she's a serious overachiever, ha ha!!  All great bikes, I know we have Cervelo, Kuota, Felt, Look in our possession... all depends on how your body is built, how it fits, and your BUDGET of course!!  And how hot it looks too....

Tammy, you are rockin' the bikini and I like the race wheel too!  People, and by that I mean, ladies!!  Don't be afraid to call out Wilson... he's a man, he can take it!! 

So I didn't get a lot of swag for Christmas, but I did have a great holiday... our trip to San Antonio was a huge hit!!  Unfiortunately it was really dank and chilly and rainy on and off.  We had an uneventful drive down, checked into the hotel and changed for dinner, then walked along the Riverwalk just as they were turning on the lights!!  I guess they've switched to all LED lights, and where they used to have lights hanging down over the river, now they just have tons of trees wrapped.  We went to Fogo de Chao (Brazilian Steak House) for dinner, we'd been to one in Austin.... mmmmmmm, truly a feast for meat lovers if you've never been to one, and feast for the eyes seeing all the waiters in their gaucho pants!  Very spensy though!!  But it was Christmas so we splurged.  We had gone down to ride the boat cruise that winds all around the Riverwalk, and as luck would have it, the boats weren't running, guessing it was the rain... damn!  And we had tickets that were part of our hotel package... but we could see all the lights just walking, so it wasn't a total waste.  Lots of stuff was closed, but a lot was also open.  We went back to the hotel to change back in to jeans, then hit an Irish Pub, (Durty Nelly's) that had a rockin' piano player who just did song after song, all singalong stuff.  I was drinking O'Douls, Reade and Ron were drinking Guiness and Kylie had Bud Light or something.... let's just say that when we left, I was the only sober one, and the only one who knew how to get back to the hotel!!  Reade was too funny, singing all the words to all the songs (who knew?) and fist pumping guys with his stump, wtf??  People just love him!  It was good to get away even just for the overnight....

dsf

About 5 pm, the lights were just starting to turn on... walking to the restaurant...

sd

This was from street level, the actual Riverwalk (and the base of the trees) is one story down...

sdf

This was from the river level... the arch is a bridge that crosses the river.  It's really hard to see, but these are all colored lights, just gorgeous!!

ads

This was on the walk back to the hotel (after about 10 Guiness')... this is at the Hyatt hotel, this "river" runs through the lowest level of the hotel, into a large pool of water and eventually right out into the real river.  Reade is in the background deciding if he should jump across the gap, Ron is wading across the "river" in his cowboy boots,  stupid drunks!

sdsa

Taken from a bridge that crosses the river... our hotel is on the left, but breakfast was being served in the hotel on the right.  Note the homeless person on the bench, and it was chilly!

Nice pics Hilde - I love San Antonio.....You don't need to give everyone advice how to handle me...haha..they will figure it out...haha

2011-12-30 9:48 PM
in reply to: #3955052

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana

hildekq - 2011-12-27 10:32 AM Vanessa, your birthday is TOMORROW, Dec. 28th???  That's MINE too!!  I turn 54 in real years but will move up to AG 55-59 in tri years...

Happy belated B-Days for Vaness and Hilde....Just so you know...you are both much much older than I am..haha....I'm just a spring chick....Hilde.....a new age bracket......that's gonna be sweet!!!!  

2011-12-30 10:04 PM
in reply to: #3955413

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
Turtle who Tris - 2011-12-27 12:44 PM

OMG, I'm so far behind!!  This group is super hardcore, so I have a lot of catching up to do. My last group wasn't this active all last year.  Here's my info (told you I was slow!):

Story: I'm 42 years old, and this is my second year of tri.  In my prior life I was a 40 year old workaholic that was seriously overweight and unhealthy and one day decided to get off my a$$ and do something about it.  I lost 80 lbs and started running in 2009.  After countless 5Ks, a few 10Ks and two HM, I felt that I needed a change (and so did my nerve damaged feet), so in 2011, I mixed it up and became a triathlete.

Family Status:I've been married for 13 years to a supportive husband who runs really fast, but could care less about biking and hates to swim.  We have two furry and catnip drugged kids named Snoopy and Corduroy. 

Current Training:  This is part of my problem.  I took a break from training since I was in line for a promotion at work (which I finally got two weeks ago, yay!!), and now I'm trying to get back into it.  Previously, I was training at least 4 days a week, typically 5 days, mixing it up between swim, bike and run.  Now that 's it's getting cold in NY, the bike trainer will be making an appearance, swim training will be at the local Y, but I'll still be running outside all winter, running asthma and all. 

The problem with training for me is that I have a very demanding job that requires me to work up to 70 hours a week at times, with travel, or going to clients with a 5 hour daily commute.  This leaves me little time for training sometimes, and mental exhaustion to the point where I sometimes fell like vegging out in front of the TV to watch a marathon of Chopped on Food Network rather than move around at all. No week is ever the same.

2011 Races:  Countless 5Ks (probably 20+), two 10Ks, Long Island HM, Mini Mightly Man Pool Tri (April), Gold Coast Sprint Tri (June), Smith Point Sprint Tri (August), and Trislip (September).

Planned 2012 Races: Carl Hart Duathlon (May), Long Island HM (May), Great South Bay Sprint (June), NJ State Oly-my first! (July), Smith Point Sprint (August), Dirty Sock Run-10K (August), Hamptons HM (September), a tri to be named later (August/September), Carl Hart Fall Duathlon (October).  That's the plan so far.  I'm registering for the NYC Marathon, but I'm sure I won't get in, so that may change the above schedule.

Weight Issues:  I'm so bummed that I've gained 30lbs of my 80lb loss back, so I need to get in gear and get into fighting shape by May (stop snacking!!).  Looking forward to some accountability and camaraderie to get motivated and keep moving! 

Now as you can see, I'm a serious turtle; slow at everything.  My mantra is:  "I may be slow, but at least I'm moving forward", so I look forward to moving forward with you all.  Thanks!

-Kelly

Kelly, great Bio...I think this group can easily help motivate you to lose the 30 and get into fighting shape again.  You have a very nice story and resume....looking forward to the inspires and watching you journey towards the first Oly!!!!

2011-12-30 10:06 PM
in reply to: #3955927

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
hildekq - 2011-12-27 3:22 PM

sdf

You can't see my hands in this photo....WHY????  Cuz they are BUSY!! LMAO...Nice group photo!!!

2011-12-30 10:16 PM
in reply to: #3956457

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
kpringle - 2011-12-27 7:41 PM

Hilde and Vanessa - Hope you both have a very Happy Birthday tomorrow!! 

Congratulations on your promotion, Kelly!!

Hilde, glad you had a nice time in San Antonio.  The river walk looks beautiful!!  Glad you stayed out of trouble...

You guys are all great with the inspires, keep 'em comin'!!    It feels so great to log into BT and see them pop up on the screen, very motivating!! 

So, I have a specific question for the group...  What are you all riding for bikes??  I rode a Trek hybrid last tri season.  Love the bike, but I did feel like it was super heavy.  I'm looking to purchase either a road or tri bike for next season, but was curious to see what people have and what they recommend.  I realize that it's a personal decision and really depends on body type and how the bike/brand fits.  Just wanted to throw that question out there!  Thanks!!

Kristen...I have a roadie....a Giant OCR 1 that I rode the first two seasons...and some before the Tri craze.  I loved the bike...Aluminum frame, Shimano gear...very nice ride.  I promised myself if I lost the first 60lbs and could ride 20+ mph in a race that I would allow myself to buy a Tri bike.....I lost the first 60 in about 6 months....the 20+ mph didn't happen till the end of this year...So in September...i believe...I bought my Tri bike....a Look 576 - all carbon.....I love it....had to find the right seat to make it all come together..but now my Adamo Road sit fits my A$$ and other junk great...comfy in Aero and ready to hit 22+ mph......that's my next goal...which means I need to lose more weight so I have a better power:weight!!!  So...Giant and a Look for me....

2011-12-30 10:25 PM
in reply to: #3956585

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
kpringle - 2011-12-27 9:10 PM

Thanks for your responses, Shawn and Louise!  So far I have only done sprint tris, but hope to do an Oly this season.  I also have the pipe dream of doing an HIM in 2013 or 2014...

My budget is $2K but would really be happier with $1500.  (And so would my husband!)

Not a pipe dream.....Just proper preparation.....I never ever thought I could run 3 miles even tho it had been a lifetime goal to run in a 5k...I never told anyone that.....This group will help make that HIM happen.....I cannot believe I'm training for one...seriously....and this group and the support I've gotten from these crazy FU$#@%@#$%ING people has sent me over the edge...and I won't be able to do it without the MMMers!!!  

Back to the bike...I bought my Giant on craigslist for $800 bucks....Just know what size you need and shop around...i also looked at craigs list of nearby cities...so I had more choices...but I found mine locally in Indianapolis....If you are willing to have a used bike...which many of them are new since people buy them and don't ride them...especially the entry level stuff.....you can get way under your budget!!!  The the guy threw in pedals and his helmet with my deal too....

2011-12-30 10:32 PM
in reply to: #3956677

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
wrkinprogress - 2011-12-27 9:54 PM

Happy Day After Boxing Day, everyone! So cool to come back, update my logs, and catch up on the chat here!

Like some of you, I got some fun tri gear for Xmas:

--Phantom, my fabulous Cervelo P2 (OK, so this was a present to myself...still counts!)-- so Wilson, I think I count twice on the "recent bike purchase" front: got Katana, my roadie, back in July, and Phantom in December! Love them both, even if I may have few savings to speak of for a while...

--some books on nutrition, recovery, and one-hour workouts

--a little Iron Man 2 action figure (for inspiration, I'm told!)

--a copy of my horoscope from the fateful day I came up with the realization that I could actually *do* an IM (I blame that horoscope and Don Fink, I really do!)

--lots of videos to watch during the long trainer rides that will be my fate this winter

Spent time with my family, ate WAY too much food, managed to get some exercise in...it's all been most excellent, I have to say. Glad to hear all of you have had a wonderful holiday-- hope everyone continues to do so for as long as possible!

Alex, you are mental (horoscope reading....with your intelligence..LMAO)......haha....you crashed your bike so you could get a Tri bike - don't lie.....you needed a good excuse to get rid of the P2...haha...  and we know you LOVE PORN.....(bike porn...I think)hah

2011-12-30 10:42 PM
in reply to: #3957186

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana

jcarmody - 2011-12-28 9:36 AM Hilde / Vera happy Birthday.  Mine is 12/30!

Janet...Happy Birthday...you spring chick!! haha...

Melanie...very nice photos....do we have another photog in the group?

2011-12-30 10:45 PM
in reply to: #3962809

Extreme Veteran

Thanks Hilde - I need to work on the OWS stuff too but the swim to bike stuff seems ok - I've done it a couple of times when I wanted to go swimming while dad wasn't home (I don't have a licence and usually get him to drive me) and I've done a couple bike/run bricks which seemed ok but boy was I slow on the run,lol - I'll probably look at it when I get closer to the event anyway. I'm sort of frankenplanning from a few different sources, so will probably end up doing more biking/swimming than my current plans say to

2011-12-30 10:54 PM

Extreme Veteran

Wilson - great catch up.

Ok I've sort of worked out a possible plan.

Conservative c25k (7 months - redoing week 2 again next week) in conjunction with the Beginner Exercise Program (8 months since I'm restarting week 1 again since the 30 min bike ride was so tough) which leaves me with 12 weeks to the actual race so I'm looking at either the intemediate sprint or sprint to Oly bridge that goes for that long to get in the endurance and some speed work once I've built a base with the first 2 programs - does that sound good or am I still dreaming?

2011-12-30 10:54 PM

Extreme Veteran

Wilson - great catch up.

Ok I've sort of worked out a possible plan.

Conservative c25k (7 months - redoing week 2 again next week) in conjunction with the Beginner Exercise Program (8 months since I'm restarting week 1 again since the 30 min bike ride was so tough) which leaves me with 12 weeks to the actual race so I'm looking at either the intemediate sprint or sprint to Oly bridge that goes for that long to get in the endurance and some speed work once I've built a base with the first 2 programs - does that sound good or am I still dreaming?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!! Rss Feed  

of 61