BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 61

2011-12-17 5:57 PM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: HILDEBEAST'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!!

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: I can start now!

NAME: hildekq / Hilde

STORY:  Hi all, I'm Hilde and I LOVE the sport of triathlon.  This next season will be my 4th season, and I have been a mentor for a couple of seasons now.  We go by the "MMMer's" for short.  I am an older athlete and will move up to the Female 55-59 age group this year.  Don't let my age fool you though, I am no feeble athlete, I can hold my own and usually place in the top 5 in my age group.  I am a swimmer first, I do fairly well at the bike, and I have really worked on my run, to where I do not embarrass myself out on the race course!  I mainly do Sprint distances, although I do want to work towards an Olympic this next year.  I have a very active mentor group, many of which will be returning.  We are crazy, but extremely motivational to each other.  If you want a fun group, who will check on your training logs and give you a kick in the you know where if you start slacking off, then this is the group for you.  We have both male and female athletes in the group, all ages and racers of all distances, from Sprint to Ironman.  I may not know everything about this sport, but I will do my best to find you the answers you need to train and race.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 28 years, 2 grown children.  I am an elementary music teacher.  I live in Texas.

CURRENT TRAINING: During this off season I have been concentrating on my run, and just completed a personal best half marathon.  I have another half marathon coming up the end of February and then will be looking at my tri season, probably starting with a local duathlon.  My goal is to complete an Olympic level tri this year, and perhaps (no promises!), a half Ironman in 2013.  My New Year's resolution is to get back to all three sports consistently, which means doing two workouts a day most days.  But that is me, I'm a true overachiever, you can easily train for a sprint distance race doing less than I do, and we have many members that do more!

THIS YEAR'S RACES: My 2011 races included six sprint tris, one longer sprint tri where I did the swim leg of a relay, two half marathons, one duathlon, two 10K races, and three 5K races.  I placed 1st or 2nd in my age group in the majority of those.

2012 RACES:  I don't have my whole season mapped out just yet, but it will be very similar to last years.  My goals are to continue to work on my run and to focus on the bike this season.  I would like to be averaging 18 mph in training and over 20 in races if possible, but it's gonna take some work on my part!

WEIGHTLOSS: 2012 is the year to get down to race weight... need to eat healthier and be smart about my fueling.  My goal is to lose approximately 20 pounds.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I will be a good mentor because I will be checking on you DAILY!  You train, I inspire you, you have a great race or a great workout, I am your biggest fan.  You slack off and I can be your worst nightmare!  Not really, but I will get on your case and hope to get you back on track.  I try to keep you motivated with lots of humor, and personal attention.  But with me you get the added bonus of the MMMers that have been with me for awhile, they motivate ME and they will motivate you too! 

So come join us!  Become one of the few, the proud, the incredibly diverse!  Become an MMMer!

Edited by Hildebeast 2012-10-31 4:39 AM

2011-12-19 1:59 PM
in reply to: #3942391

Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - OPEN
I would like to join your group if you will have me. I am ashamed to say that I am basically coming off the couch. My name is Vanessa. I will be 43 in a few days. I have 4 awesome kids and I have been happily married for 19 years. I would like to do an Olympic triathlon this summer. I have my eye on the one at Quassy Amusement Park which is reasonably close to me. I am very excited about the whole idea. 
2011-12-19 2:10 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Story: I was a casual exerciser until December 2004.  One night just before all the holiday festivities started I realized I would need to go get jeans in the next size up. So that night, I signed up for a marathon.  I’ve been running ever since and did my first triathlon in 2010.  I weighed 20 pounds more in 2004 than I do now.  I have fallen in love with this sport.  It combines so many different elements.  I turned 50 this year and have really discovered my inner athlete!  Set PR’s in 10 mile and 10K!  Tri times dropped too this year.

Family Status: I've been married for 26 years to pretty supportive guy, we have 20 year-old and 15 year-old daughters, and an old, deaf dog. 

Current Training:  I usually bike 5 times/week to work.  Run 2-3 times/week.  Swim 2 times/week.  I’m now doing strength training in place of swimming.  Have cut back running to maybe 1-2 times until January.

2011 Races:  10 mile trail race in March, 50K HAT Run (trail), Cherry Blossom 10 miler, Washington DC Olympic, Iron Girl Columbia Sprint, Nation’s Tri Olympic, Dogfish Dash 10K, 2 Backyard Burn 5 mile trail races.

Planned 2012 Races: “A” races = Eagleman 70.3 in June and Nation’s Tri in September.  Other races  tentatively planned = Rumpass in Bumpass Olympic, Kinetic Spring, Wash DC ½ marathon, Dogfish Dash 10K, Giant Acorn Olympic, and some spring & fall 5 mile trail races.

Weight Maintenance:  My goal is to get back to about 134 lbs by Eagleman.  I’ve put on about 6 since last trail race in November.  So after January1st, no snacks in the house.  (I can go through a whole box of Cheez-its in one sitting).

Looking forward to an active group that can keep me motivated without overdoing it or obsessing.  My primary goal is to balance family life, triathlons, and work in a way that keeps me and my family happy.

2011-12-19 3:13 PM

User image

Veteran

I'd like to join this group.  I've completed one Sprint and several 5Ks.  I'm working on my weight as it is a major limiting factor for me.  I'm a slow runner, slow biker on a hybrid and good swimmer.  I plan to do at least one indoor tri this winter.  They motivate me to keep training.  I'd also like to do a local 7 mile road race.  I'm not quite there yet endurance-wise, but I'm hoping to ramp up to be able to complete it in June.  I'd like to do 2 or 3 sprint tris this summer.

~Andrea, aged 41, married with one 6yr old son.

2011-12-19 3:27 PM

User image

Expert

Hi (again!) everyone!

NAME: Alex (short for Alexandra)

STORY: This will be my third full season of triathlons, after starting out at the very end of the 2009 season. I *love* this sport-- did my first tri (the Danskin sprint) at the last minute to give me something to work towards when my ex and I broke up, and I ended up loving every minute of it. I joined the MMMers a couple of years ago, and they/we really are the craziest and most supportive bunch of diverse folk anyone could ever want to meet!

FAMILY STATUS: I see my entire family once or twice a year (living as an expat will do that), but also get to see my fabulous sis whenever business brings her to town and/or shenanigans of some sort get planned!

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm one of the crazier MMMers this year, as I've signed up to do my first marathon (in May) and my first IM (in September). So with the fall spent getting back into shape after a year of injuries, I'm about to rev up for these-- any encouragement and/or behind-kicking will therefore be welcome...

2011 RACES: None, alas, due to friggin' injuries (first set from overtraining, second set from a very dramatic and not recommended bike accident). Is it any wonder, then, that I'm ALL about audacious goals for next year?

2012 RACES: These will include the Ottawa Marathon at the end of May and the Esprit Montreal Triathlon (Iron-distance) in early September... but I'm sure there'll be a few shorter races sprinkled in there as well-- stay tuned!

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm actually doing pretty well on this front-- I'm only a few pounds heavier than my racing weight, so will work on getting rid of anything extraneous as the training ramps up. I know all too well what it's like to be a beginner in the weight-loss process, though, so I'm more than happy to lend a sympathetic ear and cheer people on!

This is a FANTASTIC group, guys-- Hilde's a WONDERFUL mentor, we don't take ourselves too seriously, we laugh at each other and ourselves on a regular basis, and we cheer each other on unreservedly while working toward our individual goals. Come on in, the water's fine!

2011-12-19 3:29 PM
in reply to: #3944465

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Welcome Vanessa, Melanie and Andrea!  We are glad to have you join our group!!  I will be putting up a list that you can cut and paste as soon as I close down the group....

Here is a bio from our resident Ironman, Joe...

Name: Joe  (joes)

Story: I am 56 years old. I started running about 30 years ago and I've been enjoying ever since. I have been competing off and on for the last 25 years  I completed my first 1/2 IM 2010 (Door County,WI)  and loved it! Sept 2011 competed in and finished the IMWI.

Family Status: Married, wife Angela, son and 1 dog who . 

Current Training: In a maintenance mode right now-and enjoying just that!

Races: Lake Monona 20k run & Syttende Mai (20mile) run and maybe just maybe a 1/2 IM in Wisconsin Dells

Weight Loss: Weight is pretty good and is not a big focus nor factor, I know I will start to loose when March training starts run training starts. I enjoy running outside all winter long as it can be a challenge in WI. Biking outside will start in March and can not wait to ride again. 

I look forward to meeting new people and having you as a mentor (AGAIN) Hilde!

2011-12-19 3:36 PM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
And welcome back Alex!  You must have been posting at the same time!! 
2011-12-19 4:05 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

I'd like to join your group if there's still room.  I'll put up a bio in a little bit (gotta finish some work firstUndecided). 

2011-12-19 4:20 PM
in reply to: #3944674

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Welcome Soccermom too!  Another Janet!  It does get confusing at times with the same names, but we'll come up with a nickname for you... the other Janet is crazy about marathons!  And we have Tammy Tucker and Tammy Turtle...
2011-12-19 4:33 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

NAME: Janet

STORY: I was never much of an athlete – I didn’t play any sports after the 6th grade (not seriously anyway).  Started running a little over 5 years ago because I wanted to attempt a local triathlon and figured I had to start somewhere.  I could swim enough to not drown and still remembered how to ride a bike so I started with the one thing I couldn’t do – running.  It took a couple of years before I actually did my first sprint tri (May 2009), but I loved it.  I’ve done a couple more since but not as many as I would have liked. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married 21 years, 2 kids.  One son in college and one daughter who will be starting college next fall.  We also currently have 12 cats in the house although “only” 5 of them belong to us.  Our daughter is involved with a local humane society and one of the cats we were fostering had kittens.  Anyone looking for a kitten for ChristmasLaughing?

CURRENT TRAINING: Mostly running.  I dropped my gym membership a couple months ago so no longer have easy access to a pool and my bike training has always been minimal.  Now that it’s getting colder/darker it’s pretty much non-existent (maybe 30 min a week).  I’m getting a trainer for Christmas though so hopefully I can increase that over the next couple of months.

2011 RACES: no triathlonsFrown.  I did have one planned, but the weather that morning was so bad – thunder/lightning/wind – that I just stayed in bed.  I did do some running races – 5k’s, 10k’s and 1 HM.  I also recently started trail running and did my first trail race in November.  Loved it!  

2012 RACES: As of right now I have plans for 2-5k’s, a 10k, a 10k trail race and a sprint tri.  That’s up until the beginning of June.  After that will depend on how training goes.  I’d like to do another sprint in the fall and some other running races.

WEIGHTLOSS: This really has never been an issue for me.  My weight isn’t bad but I need to start eating better.  We don’t eat a lot of junk, but I’m usually short on the fruits & veggies. 

OTHER: I’m not a long distance athlete.  Half marathons are hard for me and I will probably never do a HIM or IM.  I enjoy the shorter distances.  I would like to get up to Olympic distance but my swimming and biking need a lot of work before I’ll feel comfortable doing that. 

2011-12-19 5:40 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

Hi, I would love to be a part of this mentor group if there's room available!

NAME: Kristen

STORY: I'm a 37 year old stay-at-home mom living outside of Boston, whose first tri season was last year.  I've either been pregnant or had a baby the last six years of my life, so I've been working on returning to my pre-kid fitness level. Overall, I'm a fairly active person - played sports my whole life - tennis and soccer. 

The coolest thing from my first tri season is to discover that I actually enjoy running.  I'm not very fast, but I really love it!  I also enjoy swimming - that's my strongest leg in tris - and am hoping to really improve my cycling this season (my weakest leg).  The first step this season in improving my cycling is upgrading to a lighter/fast bike.  I rode a hybrid bike w/hybrid wheels last year and it was so depressing how many people passed me!

I've had type 1 diabetes for 28 years (diagnosed at age 9) and wear an insulin pump.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 8 years, 3 children - ages 5, 3 and 2 years old.

CURRENT TRAINING: Have continued going to weekly masters swim practice, started incorporating some strength training (this was lacking in my training last season!), spin classes, running.

2011 RACES: My first tri season - 2 sprint tris, my first 5K (ended up doing 4 total last year), my first 10K and my first 1/2 marathon.

2012 RACES: 3-4 sprint tris, possibly an oly?, 1/2 marathon in March and October, a few 5Ks

WEIGHTLOSS:  Last season I focused a lot on regaining my fitness level after having babies.  This season I really hope to get to an ideal race weight for me, which means losing an additional 10 lbs.

OTHER: I would love to join this mentor group b/c I need to keep up the motivation to train during these cold winter months in New England!! 

2011-12-19 5:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH

Count me in! 
~Michelle

PS - will post a bio soon!  

2011-12-19 6:08 PM

Extreme Veteran

Can I join? I've looked at most of the available mentors and you seem to be the best match for me so far.

I'll post my bio later if you accept me.

2011-12-19 7:31 PM

User image

New user
KY
Hi!  This looks like a seriously fun, inspiring and neat group and I would love to join if there is still room.  I will work on the bio now Smile  Erin
2011-12-19 7:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Avondale
Might I join this group?
2011-12-19 7:49 PM

User image

New user
KY

NAME: Erin

STORY: I'm a 33 year old, recently married (2010), native Minnesotan-turned Kentuckian.  I rode racehorses throughout the country for 13 years and recently "retired" from that career to become a full-time massage therapy student.  My husband and I both partied a little too much through our 20s and quit drinking June 1, 2008.  Several months later, we began running.  We fell in love with it.  After doing pretty well in road races, my husband got involved with triathlons.  I soon followed, even though I didn't know the first thing about swimming.  I did two sprint tri's last summer, dog-paddling and panicking through the pool swim.  However, I am still hooked and hoping for a huge improvement in 2012!  Can't wait!

FAMILY STATUS: Married since 2010 to fellow runner/triathlete.  One dog- JessieTongue out

CURRENT TRAINING: Due to a tibial stress fracture, I have not been able to run since Nov 6.  This has been a blessing in disguise, as I have been in the pool about 5 hours a week and am now swimming 1000-2000 yards at a time, which has been a HUGE step for me.  I still am not completely comfortable and sometimes struggle with breathing, but I feel more confident.  The cycling will gear up after the New Year, and I am within a week or so of running again.

2011 RACES: Big run year.  Ran the Boston Marathon for the first time, but injured ITB and was off for 6 weeks.  Did first sprint tri (pool swim=dog paddle) finished 3rd in AG (got lucky!).  Did another sprint tri with an even worse swim and finished 2nd in AG.  Completed first duathlon, finishing third overall female.  PR'd in half marathon- 1:33:11.  Then DNF'd my third marathon about mile 15 with injury (stress fracture).

2012 RACES: Really hoping to do a half ironman in September, depending on how my swimming goes.  Other than that, two half marathons in the spring, a winter series of sprint triathlons and we'll see from there!

WEIGHTLOSS:  The only goal in this category is to drastically cut down on the sweets!  It won't be easy

OTHER: I'm hoping to help motivate and be motivated by participating in this group.  When it comes to training, great groups are priceless.  And getting some encouragement, tips and advice about swimming will be a huge plus!

2011-12-19 7:57 PM
in reply to: #3944800

User image

Veteran
Austin

NAME: Louise

STORY: I'm a stay at home mom with an almost 7y/o daughter and a 2 1/2 y/o son.  A little over a year ago I had a friend mention she was interested in training for another triathlon if she could find someone to train with her.  So I went for it, not really knowing what I was getting myself into.  I had never really done any biking, swimming, or running, but went for it.  I've never been an athlete in school or anything, but over the last year I have stubbornly put in the training time and am loving it.  I still don't enjoy racing very much (I get too anxious), but I love training.  My  husband is now starting to train for his first tri and my daughter just did her first Kid K a week ago!

FAMILY STATUS: married with 2 kiddos, live outside of Austin, Tx.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm training for my first half-marathon in January and am getting eaten alive by my training plan!

2011 RACES: My first sprint tri was in June and my second was in Oct.

2012 RACES: Half-marathon Jan, Sprints - June/Oct.  Not really sure.

WEIGHTLOSS:  I've dropped a good amount of weight over the last few years and am mostly trying to stay at my current weight, but wouldn't mind dropping a few pounds.

OTHER: I started BT-stocking Hilde before my first tri (after reading one of her race reports from a previous year).  She has been looking out for me ever since and I am thrilled to officially join her group.  I've been a part of a mentor group the last two sessions and have enjoyed it, and am hoping this group will be even more helpful!

2011-12-19 8:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

NAME: Tammy, aka Turtle

I've been an MMMer for a couple of seasons now. We are all a little nutty, but mostly in a good way J

I'm a 44 year old mom, wife, and pilot, living in Phoenix, AZ. I was never an athlete- more of an overweight bookworm growing up. I started running in my 20s and lost a lot of weight, but in recent years, injuries kept me from running more than once/week. I stumbled into triathlon in 2010 as a way to cross-train, and I'm hooked! I finished up my first season with Nation's Tri in D.C. (with Team in Training), went on to do a HIM this past spring, and finished my first marathon this October. Next up: the Flying Pig marathon in May, then Ironman Arizona in November! I'm more about distance than speed, as shown by my nickname: turtle.

My current training is in high gear, as winter is prime training weather here in the desert. I'm using a BT plan for a HIM in April, and will probably use the BT Ironman plan after that.

The MMMers have been a great support in all the ups and downs of two seasons. We have everyone from Ironmen to lapsed sprinters; sometimes our bikes collect dust for weeks at a time (ahem… Hilde?), but we keep coming back for more. We're good about leaving Inspires for each other, and we even had a meetup in Indy last summer, but that's all I can say about that, 'cuz what happens in Indy stays in Indy!

Welcome, noobs- post frequently, inspire often, and enjoy the ride!

2011-12-19 8:11 PM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED !!!

Whew, we got a lot of action over here the past couple of hours, had to close us down!!!  I still have some of my regulars who will be checking in, but a huge welcome to our brand new MMMers!!!

Vanessa (Vera), Melani (Hoffsquared), Andrea (rustymom), Louise (lounav), Janet (soccermom15), Kristen (kpringle), Michelle (arquillo), Suzie? (suzielea), Erin (erinrockrun), Mike? (Mikeylee).... we should have one more newbie I've invited to join our group also, Jen (JenMcConnell).  So it's looking like we have a total of 11 new MMMers!!  According to my count of returning MMMers that will give us a group of about 20, maybe a few more.  That is a large group, but the more the merrier I say!!  Move love to go around....

It's looking like we have a good mix of newbies and experienced triathletes, as well as those that are wanting to do Sprints/Olys vs. HIM's and IM's.  I'll give us a few more days for the original MMMers to check in before I make our list that you can cut and paste and put on your dashboard... this will link you to everyone's training log.  I will be by sometime tomorrow to check in on you all!!  And please check in on my log too, I need motivation as much as the rest of you!  I've been really shamming on the bike as my friend Tammy Turtle busted me out on, ha ha! 

Edited by hildekq 2011-12-19 8:24 PM
2011-12-19 8:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!!

Hope I make the cut - I could use a good swift kick in the rear every now and again! 

Name: Michelle (37 years young)

Story: Looking forward to my second season as a triathlete this coming year. I started training for my first triathlon after being inspired by all the triathletes at my gym. What started as a way to motivate myself to stick to a fitness and nutrition plan, turned into a total devotion to the sport – I was hooked after my first race! I competed in sprints only this year and did very well - looking to up my distance to Olympic in 2012.

Family Status: Just me and my pooch for now. Hope to add my uber-supportive boyfriend of 2 ½ years to the list of residents in my home soon. 

Current Training: *Sigh* Not much sadly. My “off” season has truly become just that… off. I have fought a couple of rather nasty, seeming endless colds over the past few months. Every time I get back on track, I seem to get sick again. I have been dealing with aLOT of stress and it has definitely taken a toll. I have also been struggling with a wicked case of Plantar Fasciitis in my left foot. Looking to really ramp things up in early January.

2011 Races: Completed three Sprints this year. I placed second, fourth and third in my age group. They were fairly small, local races but I was thrilled with my results despite that fact.

2012 Races: Currently, my only planned race is my “A” race, the Vermilion Harbor Olympic Triathlon (August). Will likely do a warm-up Sprint sometime in July, see how the Oly race in August goes, and take it from there.

Weightloss: Looking to drop 20 pounds before the beginning of the race season (July, here on the frigid shores ofLake Erie). It will be so much easier to pedal and run up those hills without the extra baggage J My focus over the next few months, in addition to building endurance for the increased distances, is nutrition, nutrition, nutrition.

Other: Running is by far my limiter. I could easily swim and bike Olympic distances now, but those 6 miles on foot would kill me!  Go ahead and smirk all you marathoners ;P

2011-12-19 10:16 PM

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for accepting me. Here's my bio:

Name/age/location: Suzanne Lowe (27 years old) - I'm in Melbourne, Australia

Story: I had a heart transplant at age 11 (16 years ago as of the start of November), didn't really do much on the fitness side and then found myself 100+kg's (currently 114) so started going to the gym til it cloesed down. Then started going to another one after finishing school (HS at least - I'm essentially a permanent student) but it was boring, 2nd I felt like I'd already worked out by the time I walked there and 3rd the goals they set weren't really attainable for me.

Started walking during my time at the 3rd place (October 09) and then run/walking in an effort to make the cut off for my goal race (Melbourne Marathon - cut off time 7 hrs = 16 mm.) I've had quite a few sidelinings through the years (various reasons usually cold affecting my asthma or lack of motivation) and am currently coming back from one (add a new job and lack of energy afterwards.)  

Family Status: Live with brother and Dad but it's basically just a "3 adults living together" type arrangement. 

Current Training: Conservative c25k for running (tweaked month 1 so I can build up some running time and doing it BF both to work on form and because my feet sweat way too much in summer) and the beginner exercise program for biking and swimming (on week 2 of c25k and 1 of BEP) plus I'm adding in ST (mostly push ups - modified sinci I can do like 1 properly - squats - just introduced a squat/walk routine (explained in my log) yesterday and some pull up prep (mainly dead hangs))and just started my yoga again today - and boy have I lost flexibility,lol.

2011 Races: 4k mother's day classic (walking race) in May

2012 Races: 4k mother's day classic (would like to run it this year), Run Melbourne 5k in July, Melbourne Marathon 10k in October (may be a 5 depending how it works in with tri-training) XOSixe tri-series Race 1 in November (sprint distance) to celebrate my transplant anniversary

Weightloss: Anything's good right now. I'd like to be under 100kg by the end of the year though and 10x by May.

Other: I suck at biking - my top speed (and that was with spin intervals) is 6.45 mph - so that's probably my worst followed by swimming - I got up to 200m before the latest sidelining but am only at 3:xx per 100m. As for the running I'm starting slow because I think the last program I did (agressive c25k then swapping to traditional at the end of month 2 - didn't get beyond week 2 of that) was too fast for me. Oh and I'm looking to piggyback one of the sprint training programs on the back of the above programs to get up to some decent times for the tri in November.   

2011-12-20 6:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI

Hi everyone I'm Janet (not a soccer mom)  I've been with the MMM'ers for a while so I know what I'm in for!

Background - I'm 52 (53 in tri years) and have been running for 11 years.  I've completed 8 marathons, and many other races at the usual distances (5k,10k,25k, 8 mile, 10 mile, 1/2 marathon).  I've run some trail runs as well.   Two years ago I decided on branching into triathlons and have completed 4 sprints.  I guess it's a bit of a love-hate relationship.  As they say, it's complicated. 

2012 Goals - Train more consistantly and put marathon number 9 in the books.  I also plan on signing up for at least 1 triathlon in 2012, maybe I'll suprise everyone and go for more!  You never know.  I'm also working on converting my husband into a runner which would be too cool for words.  We're just at the talking stage right now. 

Weight Loss - I'm a lifetime WeightWatcher member who is about 13 pounds over goal weight.  I'm attending weekly meetings now and know I will get there before too long!

Personal - Ted and I have been married for 27 years.  We have 2 coon hound / lab mix dogs who are my best friends and family.  We live in South East Michigan.

2011-12-20 7:18 AM

User image

Veteran

Thought I'd provide a bit more of a bio.

Name/age/location: Andrea 41 (42 in Jan) in New England

Story:  Swim team ages 7-21, other sports (mostly soccer) through High School graduation.  After high school my activity dropped off majorly (even with college swim team) and the weight started to pile on.  My deskjob that started soon after just added to it.  I battled my weight with Weightwatchers when I was around 30 and lost 60lbs.  Next was the quest for a child.  That had a happy ending with my now 6yr old son, but didn't help the weight or activity level. 

Around my 40th birthday I decided to get active and purchased a treadmill with the intension of walking.  I walked daily then started playing with the incline and speed.  Eventually I tried jogging.  Internet searches helped me find C25K and the John Bingham "Penguin" books.  I ran/walked until Feb 2011 (I think) when with encuragement from my previous Mentor group I dropped the walk segments.  I am still a really slow runner and biker.

Family Status: married, 6 yr old son, 1 old dog

Current Training: I've dabbled a bit with the 3-2-1 running recommended from time to time around here, but I'm having trouble with scheduling currently.  I need to sit down and figure it out.  I have a bike trainer with my hybrid attached, and need to get back to it.  I did part of Jorge's winter training (only 2 days pre week).  Swimming needs the least work and time for me.

2011 Races: 2 indoor tris for training/motivation, 5(?) 5Ks with a PR of 39:52.  1 Sprint Tri 800, 12mile, 5K trail in 2:10.

2012 Races: I have some ideas, but so far only registered for indoor tri 1/15 (10min swim/30min bike/20min run).

Weightloss: Yes, please!!!! LOL!  I've lost 30lbs in the past 2 years.  I'm doing OK today, but some days its a battle with junk food cravings. 

2011-12-20 7:28 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church
I am definitely excited about being in this group!  Already got 'inspired'!  What a nice way to start the morning.  Smile
2011-12-20 8:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
Hilde, are you going to provide us with a list of the members so we can paste it on our training page?  I'm sure I could figure it out myself, but you are so GOOD at it!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!! Rss Feed  

of 61