BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (third season) - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 122

2011-12-26 11:09 AM
in reply to: #3953923

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group (third season) - CLOSED
GAUG3 - 2011-12-26 11:41 AM
JoePetto - 2011-12-26 8:20 AM

Hey Guys:

If you go to my log, I gathered everyone's name  and links (except for Lynn - need to open access or friend everyone) to their respective logs and posted them to the top of my page.  You should be able to copy and paste them if you want into your log.  Let me know if I missed anyone.  

Let's get those inspires going.

Joe

Can you fix mine?  It's Cason...not CaRson.  Cool

Done.Laughing

2011-12-26 11:50 AM
in reply to: #3953963

User image

South Jersey
JoePetto - 2011-12-26 12:09 PM

Hey Guys:

If you go to my log, I gathered everyone's name  and links (except for Lynn - need to open access or friend everyone) to their respective logs and posted them to the top of my page.  You should be able to copy and paste them if you want into your log.  Let me know if I missed anyone.  

Joe

Great idea Joe!  Can you add my name?  JulDee/Joyce
2011-12-26 11:52 AM
in reply to: #3942748

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Ok Ernesto. I've been peeking at your logs to see what your heart rate is on your runs. Do you target it for most runs and then run fast for some, or do you just run? Because on a good amount of your runs, you are well above 180-age. (Of course, you are running pretty fast to do that.)

I ask because I've been doing this myself lately. Today I ran 15 miles at an 8:49 pace with an average heart rate of 142. That's 10 above 180-age for me. I will be starting my 18 week marathon training soon and I am trying to figure out what my heart rate should be for my "normal" (not tempo, not speed work, not "long run") runs. For my tempo runs, I will run at 7:50 regardless of heart rate. Speed intervals will be at 5k pace (around 6:40) and long runs will be at 8:50. For other runs, I'm curious whether I've "earned" the right to add something to the 180-age formula.
2011-12-26 11:55 AM

User image

South Jersey

Garmin technical question: 

I used the Garmin for the first time today.  Trying to upload the data, it's showing a link that states "Lap data"  not the typical "http://connect.garmin.com/activity....." I see in other logs.  Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

2011-12-26 11:58 AM
in reply to: #3954029

User image

Maple Grove, MN
JulDee - 2011-12-26 11:55 AM

I used the Garmin for the first time today.  Trying to upload the data, it's showing a link that states "Lap data"  not the typical "http://connect.garmin.com/activity....." I see in other logs.  Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

It's not clear you are doing anything wrong. Check out my training log and see if it looks any different from yours. The beginnertriathlete site doesn't put up as much data as garmin connect. That is why I paste my garmin connect link for that workout into the comments.

Chris
2011-12-26 12:00 PM

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Hey all the new members: Fill in your race reports! (Well, only if you want to.)

2011-12-26 12:19 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
hey everyone, hope everyone had a great holiday this weekend! went to the pool today and did a 3,000yrd swim workout from my girlfriends masters swim teamLongest swim to date and it felt good! I had a question about the swim though. I noticed that towards the end of the swim, I felt a very minor pain in my lower back and where the top of my foot meets my ankle. Do you think this is a form problem or an endurance issue (longest previous swim was 1800).
2011-12-26 12:22 PM
in reply to: #3954037

User image

South Jersey
chris2533 - 2011-12-26 12:58 PM
JulDee - 2011-12-26 11:55 AM

It's not clear you are doing anything wrong. Check out my training log and see if it looks any different from yours. The beginnertriathlete site doesn't put up as much data as garmin connect. That is why I paste my garmin connect link for that workout into the comments. Chris

I thought maybe it was a pasted link...that helps.  Thank you!

2011-12-26 12:51 PM
in reply to: #3952113

User image

Expert
Guatemala

I've been looking at your log Gabe, certainly impressed with the volume you're putting in despite the Holidays.

The other thing that doesn't cease to amaze me is your constant progress, I believe you're right on track for a wonderful race in Ironman Texas. Plus you look focused and enthusiastic. If you want to relax next week, do it! This might be your last chance until mid May to cut back and enjoy. Knowing you though, I believe you'll be running on Christmas day with a hangover from the sangria...

Ernesto, I'm excited about the goal of completing IM Texas and looking forward to delivering a good performance!  I must say that a significant portion of my progress has been the result of your great coaching along with the on-going encouragement from our awesome group!  

So Ernesto, in appreciation to your great coaching and support, I have a bottle of Guatemalan Zacapa Centenario Rum waiting for you (it has been voted 5 years in a row as the best premium rum in the world and its now in the hall of fame, so it is gooood!)

I hope everyone here had a great Christmas in company of family and friends!

2011-12-26 1:27 PM
in reply to: #3954019

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
JulDee - 2011-12-26 12:50 PM
JoePetto - 2011-12-26 12:09 PM

Hey Guys:

Joe

Great idea Joe!  Can you add my name?  JulDee/Joyce

DONE!

Edited by JoePetto 2011-12-26 1:28 PM
2011-12-26 1:54 PM
in reply to: #3954102

User image

Master
Dallas
sirgab - 2011-12-26 12:51 PM

I've been looking at your log Gabe, certainly impressed with the volume you're putting in despite the Holidays.

The other thing that doesn't cease to amaze me is your constant progress, I believe you're right on track for a wonderful race in Ironman Texas. Plus you look focused and enthusiastic. If you want to relax next week, do it! This might be your last chance until mid May to cut back and enjoy. Knowing you though, I believe you'll be running on Christmas day with a hangover from the sangria...

Ernesto, I'm excited about the goal of completing IM Texas and looking forward to delivering a good performance!  I must say that a significant portion of my progress has been the result of your great coaching along with the on-going encouragement from our awesome group!  

So Ernesto, in appreciation to your great coaching and support, I have a bottle of Guatemalan Zacapa Centenario Rum waiting for you (it has been voted 5 years in a row as the best premium rum in the world and its now in the hall of fame, so it is gooood!)

I hope everyone here had a great Christmas in company of family and friends!

Woohooo! I love good rum! thanks Gabe, can't wait. Actually, mojitos got me in a lot of trouble in my younger years, now it's only red wine... But no problem, I'll get in trouble again if necessary, hehe Laughing

2011-12-26 4:00 PM
in reply to: #3948955

Regular
Sheboygan, WI
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group (third season) - OPEN
Sorry for the delayed response. I will have to get into the habit of posting workouts (and meals?) on BT. I have not used BT much other than for lurking on the forums. Thanks Ernesto for letting me be mentored by you.

What would you like me to include / post for the best results?

Happy Holidays,
Tim

PS: If anyone needs any dental opinions, I will help any way possible.
2011-12-26 4:43 PM
in reply to: #3954262

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group (third season) - OPEN

tkaufmann60 - 2011-12-26 4:00 PM Sorry for the delayed response. I will have to get into the habit of posting workouts (and meals?) on BT. I have not used BT much other than for lurking on the forums. Thanks Ernesto for letting me be mentored by you. What would you like me to include / post for the best results? Happy Holidays, Tim PS: If anyone needs any dental opinions, I will help any way possible.

Tim,

I don't know of many that log their meals. Your workouts however, are crucial. I need a base to give you feedback and it will also help you chart your progress, usually what I do (and many others) is use some sort of GPS tracking device (such as a Timex Ironman Global Trainer, Garmin forerunner 305, etc.) and copy the link to the workout to their training logs. Take a look at my log or Chris' or Gabe's, we are pretty good at logging.

If you see mine pretty empty for this month it is actually due to work, look at November if you want and you'll get a good idea.

2011-12-26 4:46 PM

User image

Master
Dallas

Hey Gang, how was the weekend? Any funny Christmas stories to share? Any epic workouts?

I'm pretty excited with mine, I was able to put two runs and two long rides, today's ride was epic btw riding with a friend that is not that fast so he stayed right behind me the whole time geting my sllipstream. So, I pulled into the cold wind for 43 miles...Smile

2011-12-26 6:56 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.

Ernesto, as always, you are an inspiration. 43 miles into the (cold) wind is painful. Hopefully the way back was better. Looks like you were not celebrating too much during the weekend...

A bit different story here, managed a 15k run in the morning, then things went downhill. Lots of family members and aquardiente... Hopefully this week will bring some more running miles.

Oh, I got to drive a 1966 VW bug through Bogota at night - wow... it will be a while before I forget that experience.

2011-12-26 7:05 PM

User image

Maple Grove, MN
No epic-ness for me, but still a good weekend. Unseasonably warm right now. 19 degrees at 8 am on Saturday for a 10 mile run, and a whopping 30 degrees this morning for a 15 mile run. No workout yesterday, but skated with two of my children after shoveling off a section of the lake. Mostly they skated while my wife and I took two Adirondack chairs and put them on the edge of the ice. The chairs were ostensibly to allow us to put our skates on and off without walking off the ice, but mostly they were so my wife and I could sit and soak up the sun for a while.

2011-12-26 7:12 PM

Regular
Fishers, IN
Christmas involved a healthy amount of cookies and good times. I did train on the 23rd, and today, so i didn't really fall off the wagon.
2011-12-26 7:15 PM
in reply to: #3954446

Regular
Fishers, IN
Swimming Question: Right now, my training has consisted of trying to increase the number of 50s I do in a session. My max right now is 10, but the sets after 6 i'm pretty gassed and feel my RPE is pretty high. I feel this would be more anaerobic training

Would there be benefits to taking extra rest between sets (for some swim days) to keep my RPE in the lower end?

I've tried to swim slower, but can't seem to.
2011-12-26 8:20 PM
in reply to: #3954023

User image

Master
Dallas

chris2533 - 2011-12-26 11:52 AM Ok Ernesto. I've been peeking at your logs to see what your heart rate is on your runs. Do you target it for most runs and then run fast for some, or do you just run? Because on a good amount of your runs, you are well above 180-age. (Of course, you are running pretty fast to do that.) I ask because I've been doing this myself lately. Today I ran 15 miles at an 8:49 pace with an average heart rate of 142. That's 10 above 180-age for me. I will be starting my 18 week marathon training soon and I am trying to figure out what my heart rate should be for my "normal" (not tempo, not speed work, not "long run") runs. For my tempo runs, I will run at 7:50 regardless of heart rate. Speed intervals will be at 5k pace (around 6:40) and long runs will be at 8:50. For other runs, I'm curious whether I've "earned" the right to add something to the 180-age formula.
Chris, good observations. If you go all the way back to pre Ironman Texas training, pretty much all of my workouts are 180-age or plus five BPM. During this time of the year I go anaerobic on purpose, the time to go long is the spring and the time to get fast is now. Reason #2, when you are time crunched (like I am now) the best way to retain your fitness is to go hard, not long. You get more benefit from two quick 30' runs than from one hour long one (when it comes to retaining, not increasing). Keep in mind though that your goals at this point are different than mine, you're going to run a Mary pretty soon, and your limiter is the weather. You are timing it just fine, focusing on short spin classes at high intensity and lots of running, some swim in there too.

My goal is to retain fitness, not gain any more weight than what I've put on already, and soon to start swimming steady again.

All that babbling and still no answer, YES, go anaerobic, your base is already there and your cardiovascular fitness is superb. You should only look at HR closely when putting long runs to avoid bonking, everything else is run by feel and of course, by the plan. Are you using Higdon's again?

Sorry I didn't reply before, I didn't scroll up the pages.

2011-12-26 8:22 PM
in reply to: #3954452

User image

Master
Dallas

harmonjh - 2011-12-26 7:15 PM Swimming Question: Right now, my training has consisted of trying to increase the number of 50s I do in a session. My max right now is 10, but the sets after 6 i'm pretty gassed and feel my RPE is pretty high. I feel this would be more anaerobic training Would there be benefits to taking extra rest between sets (for some swim days) to keep my RPE in the lower end? I've tried to swim slower, but can't seem to.

Yes, increasing rest periods between sets will help avoid exhaustion but if 6X50s are getting you gassed up, you're trying too hard. Slow down and focus on your form.

Edited by ernestov 2011-12-26 8:47 PM
2011-12-26 8:24 PM

User image

Master
Dallas

Hey, get a laugh!

http://youtu.be/Cw5MHsO-JI8

2011-12-26 8:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

Quick Question:

Starting hill training on Wed as Scott and I start our train for the 10k in Charleston (our first A race).  Where should my heart rate be.  Scott suggested I stay in a aerobic zone but that means I'm going to have to walk the hill and I don't see any benefit there.  All runs since August have been aerobic for me and I'm worried that I have lost all speed and reponse from fast twice muscles,  Last year I ran this race in 56minutes(it was my second time running it ever).  This year I want under 53 but if my ability is there I want to run it under 50.  The race is The Cooper River Bridge Run at at mile 1 it start a painful uphill mile.  All suggestions helpful.  Thanks

2011-12-26 8:49 PM
in reply to: #3954437

User image

Master
Dallas
chris2533 - 2011-12-26 7:05 PM No epic-ness for me, but still a good weekend. Unseasonably warm right now. 19 degrees at 8 am on Saturday for a 10 mile run, and a whopping 30 degrees this morning for a 15 mile run. No workout yesterday, but skated with two of my children after shoveling off a section of the lake. Mostly they skated while my wife and I took two Adirondack chairs and put them on the edge of the ice. The chairs were ostensibly to allow us to put our skates on and off without walking off the ice, but mostly they were so my wife and I could sit and soak up the sun for a while.
I saw the pics on facebook, pretty cool. One of your daughters was skating without a jacket, what kind of hot blooded mammals are you?
2011-12-26 8:58 PM
in reply to: #3953595

User image

Expert

Jim,
As far as how to indoor cycle qithout slitting your wrists, there is more than one way to skin a cat.  For the last few years, I've been using Spinervals DVDs, and Jennie now uses them with me in our basement.  I like them because on the bike I think I benefit from a coach yelling at me to speed up and stop slacking.  I've been running long enough to not have that issue with running.  I did most of my training for my last Half IM using the Spinervals DVDs and the bike leg worked out decent for me.  The run wasn't so good because it was so hot and humid that a fellow runner told me he was calling it the Disney Death March (long story).  Ernesto has suggested another DVD set called Sufferfest which uses a lot of real bike race video footage but I've only looked at them online and haven't gotten around to getting any yet.  But the nice thing about indoor cycling is, if you do it right, there is no wasted time and you can focus your workout on what you need to work on.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas!  I was supposed to run today but bailed on that due to getting up so early.  I decided a nap on the couch was more prudent today. 

-----
Scott

Scott

Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into both CD's. I am putting a TV in our basement, so I bike CD might just help. I am getting sick of the songs on my I pod and my daughters cat as my only source of mental stimulation while on the trainer.

Jim

2011-12-26 9:22 PM
in reply to: #3954548

User image

Master
JBacarella - 2011-12-26 8:58 PM

Jim,
As far as how to indoor cycle qithout slitting your wrists, there is more than one way to skin a cat.  For the last few years, I've been using Spinervals DVDs, and Jennie now uses them with me in our basement.  I like them because on the bike I think I benefit from a coach yelling at me to speed up and stop slacking.  I've been running long enough to not have that issue with running.  I did most of my training for my last Half IM using the Spinervals DVDs and the bike leg worked out decent for me.  The run wasn't so good because it was so hot and humid that a fellow runner told me he was calling it the Disney Death March (long story).  Ernesto has suggested another DVD set called Sufferfest which uses a lot of real bike race video footage but I've only looked at them online and haven't gotten around to getting any yet.  But the nice thing about indoor cycling is, if you do it right, there is no wasted time and you can focus your workout on what you need to work on.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas!  I was supposed to run today but bailed on that due to getting up so early.  I decided a nap on the couch was more prudent today. 

-----
Scott

Scott

Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into both CD's. I am putting a TV in our basement, so I bike CD might just help. I am getting sick of the songs on my I pod and my daughters cat as my only source of mental stimulation while on the trainer.

Jim

x2 on the sufferfest videos - once i'm done with the winter cycling plan I will utilize the suffefest videos as my go to rides on weekdays.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (third season) - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 122