BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun mentor group 6 years running closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 191

2012-04-06 8:40 AM
in reply to: #4123816

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Subject: RE: swbkrun mentor group 6 years running OPEN
I'm probably the last person to have discovered this but I'll take a chance and share it anyway.  Last night in the pool I was doing kick drills.  I routinely do 1 length on my stomach then flip over and do the returning length on my back.  Last night there was a very cool thing going on in a lane next to me that I wanted to watch so I did a side kick drill.  Oh my goodness!  That was just like walking on the stair stepper!   Personally I thought this was great b/c I can't run or use the climber right now so it was an impact free way of using the same muscles.  I thought it was cool.  You are all free to laugh at my naivety now.

2012-04-06 8:44 AM
in reply to: #4133130

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
JustWood - 2012-04-05 6:13 PM

Shopping question...

I am looking for a Quarq (SRAM 172.5) power crank for a 'reasonable' price.  I have found them for $1575, but I had read/heard/ or simply made up the fact that they are available for $1200ish.  I currently use a PowerTap, but I am changing to the Zipp disc (so I can catch fatty) and will lose the power feature while racing.  I have googled it, but many times others know a non-published lil' place that offers a good deal.

tanks-a-million 

So cheap PT for sale then? Shipping from Texas to Calgary?

2012-04-06 8:45 AM
in reply to: #4133558

User image

Master
Maryland
SSMinnow - 2012-04-06 7:35 AM

This probably requires a more scientific study to satisfy Fatty, but I thought this was interesting enough to share with the group.  I definitely see this in myself.  I can start out midfoot, but resort to heel strike on the right side as races progress.

FINDINGS ON FOOTSTRIKE

For the past couple years, running form, footstrike and other bio-mechanical matters have been endlessly debated. What's often been missing from the discussion is real data from the real world. A new study by a credible source provides some.

Pete Larson--trained as an evolutionary biologist, moonlighting as a minimalist shoe advocate at runblogger.com--took a video camera to the 2009 Manchester City Marathon to see how people were running at different stages of the race. Of 286 marathoners studied, at the 10K mark just under 89 percent were rearfoot strikers, and just under 6 percent had an asymmetrical footstrike (e.g., one foot landing at rear, the other midfoot). At the 20-mile mark, more than 90 percent of the marathoners were rearfoot striking, and the number who demonstrated asymmetry declined. In sum, by the late miles of the marathon, almost everyone Larson filmed was rearfoot striking with both feet, even though some were landing differently 10K into the race.

It's safe to say that some degree of muscular fatigue contributed to the change in footstrike pattern. So if you're among the runners who've been inspired to change your running form the last few years, don't assume your new form will hold once you tire. In terms of training, the findings could be argued to lend strength to doing a good amount of marathon-pace running. Running at race pace at the end of long runs and concentrating on maintaining good form--whatever that means for you--should help to stem the deterioration Larson's findings point to.

I can feel the shift in my foot strike as I start to fatiuge. Interesting that most everyone else does too.

2012-04-06 9:10 AM
in reply to: #4133323

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: swbkrun mentor group 6 years running!
_Deb_ - 2012-04-05 9:21 PM
jfought - 2012-04-05 8:13 PM 

Andre, I'm trying to picture the small arm warmers on your arms.  Can you post another picture? Innocent

Agreed.  Make sure you flex your biceps so that we can get a true visual of your size in comparison to the arm warmers.

Haha I'll see what I can do after this 10K tomorrow, if I wear them and I dont pass out from lack of circulation Embarassed

2012-04-06 9:11 AM

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!

Pup in the road...yep that was me... Fatty was there and did shoot video. Our friend Houstonrider, that recently passed away was there too. That was a good day!

Thanks for checking on the price, I will patiently wait for the info... 

Trevor I 'would' sell it very cheap, BUT...my wife has laid claim to it already.  It looks like I will have a SRAM S80 front wheel with maybe 200-250 racing miles on it...mint condition, might be going on the market soon. I will post if that pans out, she may lay claim to that as well. HA!  What's hers is hers, and what's mine is hers!

2012-04-06 9:24 AM

User image

Veteran
SSMinnow - 2012-04-06 6:35 AM

This probably requires a more scientific study to satisfy Fatty, but I thought this was interesting enough to share with the group.  I definitely see this in myself.  I can start out midfoot, but resort to heel strike on the right side as races progress.

FINDINGS ON FOOTSTRIKE

For the past couple years, running form, footstrike and other bio-mechanical matters have been endlessly debated. What's often been missing from the discussion is real data from the real world. A new study by a credible source provides some.

Pete Larson--trained as an evolutionary biologist, moonlighting as a minimalist shoe advocate at runblogger.com--took a video camera to the 2009 Manchester City Marathon to see how people were running at different stages of the race. Of 286 marathoners studied, at the 10K mark just under 89 percent were rearfoot strikers, and just under 6 percent had an asymmetrical footstrike (e.g., one foot landing at rear, the other midfoot). At the 20-mile mark, more than 90 percent of the marathoners were rearfoot striking, and the number who demonstrated asymmetry declined. In sum, by the late miles of the marathon, almost everyone Larson filmed was rearfoot striking with both feet, even though some were landing differently 10K into the race.

It's safe to say that some degree of muscular fatigue contributed to the change in footstrike pattern. So if you're among the runners who've been inspired to change your running form the last few years, don't assume your new form will hold once you tire. In terms of training, the findings could be argued to lend strength to doing a good amount of marathon-pace running. Running at race pace at the end of long runs and concentrating on maintaining good form--whatever that means for you--should help to stem the deterioration Larson's findings point to.

I am the exact same way! For me it had alot to do with my shoes (nikes) as they did not provide enough forefoot cushioning and being a  bigger runner my right forefoot would start to hurt so I guess I would switch to heel striking to relieve the pain. Now I have what I feel are the best forefoot cushioned shoes (Saucony Hurricane 14 and Mirage 2s) for midfoot strikers (needing stability) and I find my self doing it less and less now

2012-04-06 9:27 AM
in reply to: #4133732

User image

Veteran

tahrens - 2012-04-06 8:40 AM I'm probably the last person to have discovered this but I'll take a chance and share it anyway.  Last night in the pool I was doing kick drills.  I routinely do 1 length on my stomach then flip over and do the returning length on my back.  Last night there was a very cool thing going on in a lane next to me that I wanted to watch so I did a side kick drill.  Oh my goodness!  That was just like walking on the stair stepper!   Personally I thought this was great b/c I can't run or use the climber right now so it was an impact free way of using the same muscles.  I thought it was cool.  You are all free to laugh at my naivety now.

I love this drill and I now try to start all my workouts with this drill (with fins) I am going to start modifying it and doing 6-1-6 so that I can work on over exaggerating my rotation because I am realizing that i don't rotate enough, which wastes a lot of energy, speed, and causes me to have a dull pain underneath my shoulder blade for days after when I am done.

2012-04-06 10:25 AM

User image

Champion
marietta

for those not familiar with the dog story, here's the original post from a few years ago.

a note at the other end of the spectrum, justin mentioned a good friend of ours passed away earlier this week, his name was justin also.  all of you guys that raced lone star met him, there's pictures somewhere of suzy, tony and i think trev with him... he was Houstonrider here on BT.  cancer took him before he could age up to 40-44.  he posted in the link above, i hear his voice when i read his posts.   sucks.   

2012-04-06 10:34 AM
in reply to: #4133970

User image

Master
Maryland
fattyfatfat - 2012-04-06 11:25 AM

for those not familiar with the dog story, here's the original post from a few years ago.

a note at the other end of the spectrum, justin mentioned a good friend of ours passed away earlier this week, his name was justin also.  all of you guys that raced lone star met him, there's pictures somewhere of suzy, tony and i think trev with him... he was Houstonrider here on BT.  cancer took him before he could age up to 40-44.  he posted in the link above, i hear his voice when i read his posts.   sucks.   

I am so sorry about Houstonrider.

Thanks John for the reminder of the good people here on BT, that was an uplifting video and story. I remember how happy I was when I first saw it!

2012-04-06 10:40 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
fattyfatfat - 2012-04-06 10:25 AM

Can you find the picture? And yes, Cancer Sucks. 

2012-04-06 11:03 AM

Master
Charlotte, NC

I read about him in COJ.  I am sorry you lost a friend.

2012-04-06 11:08 AM

Master
Charlotte, NC
I did my long run this morning since I will be at the ILs this weekend and 20 miles is hard to get in there.  I was alone and slow but so proud of myself.  It has been so long since I have put in these miles.  Yay!!
2012-04-06 11:42 AM
in reply to: #4134059

User image

tricrazy - 2012-04-06 11:08 AM I did my long run this morning since I will be at the ILs this weekend and 20 miles is hard to get in there.  I was alone and slow but so proud of myself.  It has been so long since I have put in these miles.  Yay!!

20 miler!  Rock On!  hoping/planning on a 15 miler this weekend.  I have never ran longer than 15 on my own... training for marathons or IM's.   I know I should, but I just never pull it off.

Way to get them miles in!

2012-04-06 11:43 AM

User image

Thanks Bro'!  ha!   That's what memories are made of!

BTW, incase ya hadn't figured it out... I changed my username from then... used to be Trin2bfast...  got tired of 'trying to be fast', too much work...so changed my un.  

Edited by JustWood 2012-04-06 11:46 AM
2012-04-06 12:13 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
SSMinnow - 2012-04-06 4:35 AM

FINDINGS ON FOOTSTRIKE

I agree with the "more miles at race pace".  New pain and injuries would show up later in my marathons that I never had during training.  Long tempo runs and MP during the long runs I believe help in the later miles.  Interesting artcle.

2012-04-06 12:13 PM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

OMG!! You guys are great.  I haven't laughed that hard since I watched the drunk Canadian singing Bohemian Rhapsody.  "20 miles b!tch!!"  LOL  I had to watch it 3 times just to hear Fatty laughing. 

Sorry for the loss of your friend.  Cancer sucks.  Just buried a friend this week who was only 46.  Sad stuff.

2012-04-06 12:19 PM

User image

Expert
metro west, MA

Love, love that! The story, the video, the adorable puppy!  You are good people.

So sorry to hear about your friend and fellow BTer.  Cancer sucks.

2012-04-06 12:53 PM
in reply to: #4134003

User image

Champion
marietta
SSMinnow - 2012-04-06 11:40 AM

justin is to your right.     SAMMY!!!!

2012-04-06 12:57 PM

User image

Champion
marietta

here's a better pic of him from that day... maybe you recognize him. 5:25 at his first 70.3!!!

2012-04-06 1:08 PM
in reply to: #4134295

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
fattyfatfat - 2012-04-06 1:53 PM
SSMinnow - 2012-04-06 11:40 AM

justin is to your right.     SAMMY!!!!

I'm wearing that exact shirt right now.

2012-04-06 3:33 PM
in reply to: #4134212

User image

jfought - 2012-04-06 12:13 PM

OMG!! You guys are great.  I haven't laughed that hard since I watched the drunk Canadian singing Bohemian Rhapsody.  "20 miles b!tch!!"  LOL  I had to watch it 3 times just to hear Fatty laughing. 

Sorry for the loss of your friend.  Cancer sucks.  Just buried a friend this week who was only 46.  Sad stuff.

Yes indeed, the best part of the video is fatty's dam laugh!  ha!

That's a great pic of John & Justin! 

2012-04-06 4:02 PM
in reply to: #4134301

User image

Master
fattyfatfat - 2012-04-06 10:57 AM

here's a better pic of him from that day... maybe you recognize him. 5:25 at his first 70.3!!!

Ugh. So f'ing sad. Great photo. Thanks for sharing a bit about Justin, guys. This stuff just breaks my heart. Cancer bites my hiney.

2012-04-06 5:10 PM
in reply to: #4134605

User image

Master

TGIF'inF!!!!!!

It's now officially Spring Break here in our school district in Washington, and we go to Maui on Tuesday... Gonna find us some warm sunshine, dammit. Really psyched for the kiddos to sleep in a few days and just decompress. Yeah, the kids need it, too.

2012-04-06 5:49 PM
in reply to: #4134704

User image

Master

Three in a row -- wheeee!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is what I think it should be like comparing my running to my husband's. Alas, it's not. (And really, for that, I am glad.) Fun video!!!

2012-04-06 6:28 PM
in reply to: #4134539

User image

Elite
san francisco
JustWood - 2012-04-06 1:33 PM
jfought - 2012-04-06 12:13 PM

Yes indeed, the best part of the video is fatty's dam laugh!  ha!

That's a great pic of John & Justin! 

Very sorry for your loss, Justin and John.

I loved that video when he first posted it a few years back and I agree, the best part of the video is John's high pitched laugh...imagine my glee when I got to talk to him the first time on the telephone!  Same laugh, same frantic crazy guy!

My dad's 77th birthday is today and I feel so lucky to be going out tonight to celebrate with him.  We've had our share of health scares over the past few years.  Happy weekend to all!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun mentor group 6 years running closed Rss Feed  

of 191