BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Second Wind Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2012-06-15 10:41 AM
in reply to: #4133662

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
Subject: RE: The Second Wind Group - CLOSED

Hey guys,

I hope everyone's having a great week.  I have to fly to Hawaii on Sunday (yes Father's Day) for work.  Then the week is going to be so much running around to different meetings and site assessments. 

I'm going to try to keep swimming and running.  Drop me a prayer that I don't get eaten by a shark.  Even though I'm sure the statistics show far more people attacked in Florida, I'm just far more nervous being in the Pacific...

I'll actually be staying at the King K in Kona Tues-Thursday.  I'll get my swim at the Ironman Course and maybe a run along Ali'i Drive. 

Prayin for you Otter, Dp, anyone else have injuries/ailments/races?  I'll just pray the Lord's protection on everyone. I hope you guys have a good weekend and Happy Father's Day!

2012-06-15 12:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh

GomesBolt....Hawaiii, that is awesome.  If you take any pictures from the Ironman swim start and Ali'Drive, please share them.  That would be so cool to see.  Safe travels!

Everyone who is racing this weekend, I pray that you all will do well.  Remember, you have put in the training and you are ready.  Looking forward to hear about everyone's experiences.

No racing for me this weekend.  Hope to get in a ride on Saturday and Sunday at sunrise each day.  My daughter has a long course swim meet in the afternoon on both Saturday and Sunday.  Looking forward to watching her compete.

2012-06-16 9:18 PM
in reply to: #4263557

User image

Veteran
Shawnee

Hey everyone, here's my race report if you're interested.  It was kind of the worst case scenario for me: as storm was rolling in and the organizers scrapped the long course swim and bike.  So my strength (swim) was negated some and but my biggest weakness (run) was there in full.  Overall, it was tough, but fun.  I'll be icing my legs for the next several days.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=446106

2012-06-19 8:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Ok, I think most everyone on here is through their first wave of races.  What races are your training for now?
2012-06-19 8:40 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus

Olympic #2 for the season on Sunday.  (I hate taper week.  I'm jumping out of my skin!)

2012-06-19 9:14 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Bay

Talked to the Dr today, definitely think I have an issue with Parathyroid, so they are doing surgery.  I will be scheduling it tomorrow for late July / Early August.

Running on the track again tomorrow, and looking to run a 5K on 4th of July.

2012-06-20 1:30 PM

Norman, OK
My training for my HIM coming up in september has been hit and miss so far, so i'm glad my race is still 10 weeks away.  I've been traveling a bunch for work, so its been hard to train consistantly.  My knee has also been sore, making my running suffer significantly.  I'm planning on getting in the pool tonight for the first time in a couple weeks, so hopefully that will get me back on the right track.
2012-06-20 1:36 PM
in reply to: #4270561

User image

Veteran
Raleigh
Robin, good luck in your Olympic this weekend.  I bet it is hard to contain the excitement.
2012-06-20 1:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh

I hope everyone is doing well.  The 90's and humidity are here in the NC.  It is tough out there.

Getting close to the 5K I have been training folks on here.  Next Saturday (6/30) is the race.  Looking forward to it.

I have also signed up for a 4th of July bike ride.  I am doing a 100K ride.  Normally there is close to a 1,000 cyclists in this each year.  Right now it is just over 300 signed up.  It should be a lot of fun.

Last week I also found out some disappointing news on the race front.  The HIM I was going to do in Myrtle Beach in October was cancelled due to low registration numbers at this point.  Kind of stinks because I was entering that event plus a half marathon the following weekend as part of their race week festival.  If you were to complete both events (HIM on 10/13 and the half on 10/21) you would get a special endurance award.  They had a $25 discount for the HIM registration after you signed up for the half marathon.  So I signed up for the half marathon, then contacted them for the discount code.  A few weeks later we hear the HIM is cancelled. 

I contacted them to see if I can get refunded for the half marathon as I only signed up first to get the discount.  Of course you know the answer was the entry fee is non-refundable.  Oh well.  At least the finisher medal in the half is one of the best.  I ran this half 2 years ago.  It is a huge surf board.  

2012-06-20 4:29 PM
in reply to: #4271938

User image

Expert
C-bus
cup06champs - 2012-06-20 2:46 PM

I hope everyone is doing well.  The 90's and humidity are here in the NC.  It is tough out there.

Getting close to the 5K I have been training folks on here.  Next Saturday (6/30) is the race.  Looking forward to it.

I have also signed up for a 4th of July bike ride.  I am doing a 100K ride.  Normally there is close to a 1,000 cyclists in this each year.  Right now it is just over 300 signed up.  It should be a lot of fun.

Last week I also found out some disappointing news on the race front.  The HIM I was going to do in Myrtle Beach in October was cancelled due to low registration numbers at this point.  Kind of stinks because I was entering that event plus a half marathon the following weekend as part of their race week festival.  If you were to complete both events (HIM on 10/13 and the half on 10/21) you would get a special endurance award.  They had a $25 discount for the HIM registration after you signed up for the half marathon.  So I signed up for the half marathon, then contacted them for the discount code.  A few weeks later we hear the HIM is cancelled. 

I contacted them to see if I can get refunded for the half marathon as I only signed up first to get the discount.  Of course you know the answer was the entry fee is non-refundable.  Oh well.  At least the finisher medal in the half is one of the best.  I ran this half 2 years ago.  It is a huge surf board.  

You never know.  My very first race was cancelled--the race company folded.  We did get our money back.  It stinks no matter what, though.  Sorry.

2012-06-20 4:32 PM
in reply to: #4271926

User image

Expert
C-bus

cup06champs - 2012-06-20 2:36 PM Robin, good luck in your Olympic this weekend.  I bet it is hard to contain the excitement.

Not so much the excitement (I've been painting this week, husband is on travel all week, and I had a child sick with heat exhaustion (couldn't go to daycamp today).)  It's the resting I have a problem with.  I just want to go and go and build endurance and speed, but taper week is just "hold back" and "rest up".  I don't do that very well...  I feel like a caged animal! 

2012-06-22 7:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh

Morning everyone!  Today I logged my 500th workout via Dailymile. Pretty cool to see that, but it was not cool on the run this morning. The temp was 73 with humidity at 90% at 4:30 am when I started. I am glad I brought my fuel belt to have some water.  I normally do not wear it for my morning runs but figured it would be brutal out and I would need it.  I am glad I had it.  Covered 5 miles this morning. 

Speaking of Dailymile, anyone else use it?  If so, send a friend request to me.  A great way to motivate and encourage others.

Tomorrow I am going for a 25 mile ride at sunrise with a couple of friends.  Then at 8am we have our last Saturday training run with the Second Wind before the 5K next weekend.

Good luck to those racing this weekend. 

2012-06-23 9:52 PM

Hey everyone!

Sorry I haven't been around much. I started grad school and oh my it has been intense. I'm still keeping my focus on my workouts which is definately much needed.

This morning was a club triathlon (practice tri). 1/3 mile lake swim, 10 mile bike and 2 mile run. The swim was my longest in a lake so far and went pretty well. The bike also was good- I averaged 18 miles per hour for most of the ride. The run was tough for the first mile. I had this great idea last week to start lifting weights and my legs were suffering, lol.

Tomorrow I'm going for my first 30 mile bike ride. I can't wait!

Dprocket- good for you doing the Team in Training. I got a flyer about that a while back but didn't know  how it worked. How does it work?

stegaman - I go to every race myself, but usually know some of the ladies in the races. I belong to a huge women's tri club that just reached 500. What an amazing group of ladies I am so proud to be a part of. I wouldn't doubt it's the largest womens group there is.

otter - praying for you! Hope you get your surgery scheduled quickly and feel better. I'm sure it's not easy having your thyroid out of whack.

sungirl - good luck at your tri this weekend. I have just started thinking about the possibility an Olympic tri!

cup06 - 500th workout - what an accomplishment! Kudos!

Can't wait to hear about everyone's weekend!

2012-06-25 9:20 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus
2012-06-27 1:37 PM
in reply to: #4280171

User image

Veteran
Shawnee

Sungirl - awesome job.  You're really fast!  I really hope to keep learning from you (and others on here more experienced than I).  I kind of feel that this year is just a "finish" year and next year and in future years I'll be at a state where I'm trying to get fast.

<i>Dprocket- good for you doing the Team in Training. I got a flyer about that a while back but didn't know  how it worked. How does it work?</i>

I'm neck deep into this right now.  They have coaches, a training program, and a team.  So, they have some tools available and I did my first "team" training last Sat. (a short 15 mile bike).  It seems like a great program for newbies, although there are people of all ages and skills involved.  They main thing with Team In Training (TNT) is that I'm officially on the hook to raise $3500 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.  So, I'm doing different activities (on top of training) to raise money for LLS.  It's a really good cause so it's kind of fun.  But there is some pressure (self inflicted) to raise the funds that I've committed to.  In return, they are going to pay my way to the Nations Triathlon in Washington DC and I'll be representing TNT at that race.  It's pretty cool.  If you have more specific questions, feel free to PM me.

I'm still battling an Achilles injury, but with lots of attention and rest, it's getting manageable.   I've been getting quite a bit of treatment plus lots of ice.  Since my first OLY is officially behind me, I have some time to devote to "re-training".

Currently, I've just started heart rate monitor training on my runs.  I'm following the Mark Allen approach of ignoring pace and running to my HR.  This forces me to calm down on my runs and I think will help me prevent injury in the long run.  THis is easier training on my body and with the time that I have before my next race hopefully will help me build that cardio "engine" to get faster, eventually, without getting hurt.

Has anyone else taken that approach? 

2012-06-27 8:05 PM

User image

Hey guys. Sorry I've been off for a bit. I had my trip to Hawaii and the flu on top of it. I still got 2 good workouts. One was a nice bike workout in Maui at the hotel. Gym overlooking the pacific. The other a 5.5 mi run on Ali'i Drive (finish for the Ironman) followed immediately by a 1.3 mi swim on the ironman course.

This week so far it's been all swims to get ready for this weekend's 5K swim. I'm going to the track tomorrow and riding Friday AM.

Dprocket, did you read Iron War? It talks about Mark Allen's heart rate usage. Pretty interesting. I was trying that on the bike. On the run I blow it right away.

Anyway, gotta run. Be back tomorrow. Night folks.

2012-06-27 9:10 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Bay

First off surgery is July 25. 

Second another fun night on the track, but I pulled something in my leg.  I am sure it will be fine.

I tried HR running, but after 5 steps I end up in zone 5, so I either walk or have a real hard time staying below zone 5.  I killed my 2rd HRM, so I am getting another one but have not put out the money for one yet.

I am running a 5K on July 4th, anyone else racing?

2012-06-28 7:57 AM
in reply to: #4283930

User image

Veteran
Shawnee

Gomes - I'm reading Iron War right now.  (I think at your recommendation, not sure).  The funny thing is, I know little about triathlon history so I have no idea who wins.  It's riveting stuff!  Over the past few days, I'm finding myself trying to avoid accidently coming across anything about Allen or Dave Scott so I don't find out the winner.

I read an article a few months ago by Mark Allen on heart rate running.  At the time, I thought it was interesting but didn't do anything with it.  I had no idea who Mark Allen was and at the time was just super focused on getting to a distance.  

Since I'm reading Iron War and reading about Mark Allen/Maffetone, I've decided to give it a try.  It is very hard, because I'm slow anyway and I really have to focus on running slow, but I can already feel that my body is less stressed.  I did a 6.5M run last night and felt good.  The Achilles is not inflamed.  My times are slower, but I know I can go faster once I build a base.

2012-06-28 8:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh
I have not read that book, I need to check that out.

Robin, great job on the Olympic. You are a speedster!

This Saturday is the 5K I have been training folks for with The Second Wind. Pray for all of us. Extremely high temps forecasted here in Raleigh the next few days. Saturday is forecasted to reach 105. By race time the temp will be in the low 80's. Hydration is going to be key. We have a pasta dinner tonight, so looking forward to it.

I am also looking forward to July 4. I have a 100K (62 miles) bike ride here locally. It is the 20th Firecracker Ride. Normally close to 1,000 cyclists take to the roads. They have a 50K and 100K distance. Should be a blast.

Have a great day everyone and stay cool!
2012-06-28 6:43 PM

User image

Dp, I did the same thing. It made the book. Both Dave Scott and Mark Allen are very interesting. Good book. Some on BT said they wouldn't read it because Mark and Dave didn't like it but their complaint was that the writer was too accurate.

Otter, my good buddy is going under the knife for a hernia next week. I'll pray for you both to have successful procedures and Speedy and effective recoveries.
2012-07-01 10:18 PM
in reply to: #4285813

User image

Veteran
Shawnee

Hey all, I hope you had a great weekend of training/racing.  

I attended my 2nd group workout with my Team in Training.  For the 2nd week in a row, I was late.  I was "on call" all week and had several all-nighters due to work.  I set my alarm for 5Am on Saturday morning to get to my workout and somehow slept right through it (that never happens to me!).  I showed up about 10 minutes late and the team was gone.  I tried to catch them on the bike, but since I was by myself I took the wrong route and turned my 10 mile bike into a 15 mile bike.  

Oh well, at least I still got the workout in.  Today was a rest day to recover from yesterday's all-day adventure at the waterpark with the family.  We've had multiple 100+ degree days here.

On another note, please pray for my uncle.  I found out on Friday night that he has a large lump in his throat that has been diagnosed as Lymphoma.  It's really sad.  We all need to be thankful each day for the grace that allows us to live and train like we all do on here (not forgetting about you otter).  It's times like this that I am reminded how important this Team in Training project really is.  It's really not about the sport at all, but rather about making an impact in people's lives.

2012-07-02 8:33 AM

Norman, OK

hey everyone, sorry i haven't been around much recently, i've been crazy busy with work recently.  Its made my training kind of hit and miss recently, but last week was my best training week in a while.  saturday, I set a personal best by going on a 45 mile bike ride.  the biggest thing that I learned from my long ride was that solid food is not my friend in the middle of a ride.  My course was a 15 mile loop that I did 3 times.  I stopped for a couple minutes back at my house at mile 30 to eat a peanut butter sandwich and refill my gatorade.  The sandwich didn't sit well with me for the rest of the ride.  I think i might have to stick with gel.  I also discovered that I consume liquid at a faster rate the longer I ride.  1 bottle per lap had been a good rate for me on 15 and 30 mile rides, but I was wishing I had some water on that last lap to go along with my gatorade.  Overall, a successful day, but it took me about a day and a half to recover.

To celebrate completing my long ride, I finally signed up for more races.  I now have a sprint on 7/21, and a HIM on 9/8.  That gives me 10 weeks to prepare.  I think i'll be ready.

2012-07-02 8:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh

Good Monday morning everyone.  I am ready for a break from this heat.  The past 3 days or so of 100 + degrees is crazy! 

This past Saturday was the 5K for The Second Wind group.  Over the past 12-weeks I have been leading them through training to get ready.  It was a great event.  By race time the temp was in the mid-80's.  It was really hot, but worth it as we had several first time 5K finishers.  In total we had 24 participating from the group.  We had about 30 in attendance supporting everyone.

I ran in the 1-mile fun run with my 3-year old daughter.  That was fun.  Then I ran the 5K and paced my friend Jon through 1.6 miles to see if he could set a PR.  The course was an out and back, so at the 1.6 miles I saw my wife coming the other direction.  I peeled off and then walked with her so she would not be alone.  Then she told me to run with my 8-year old daughter, so I peeled off to be with her.  At the end, my wife, 8-year old and me crossed the finish line together.  If you were wondering where the 3-year old was during this race one of the youth from the church watched her for us.  In looking at the results, I finished last for my age group.  I ended up running 3.7 miles in the race.  Oh well, it was great to be with them. 

I have attached a couple of pictures.  One is the entire Second Wind group that was there and the other is me with my 3-year old as we approached the finish line.

Also, here is a link to a news story about the race.  You can see us in the video.

http://triangle.news14.com/content/top_stories/660142/raleigh-runners-raise-money-for-families-of-fallen-first-responders

(5k 1.JPG)

(5k 2.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
5k 1.JPG (75KB - 4 downloads)
5k 2.JPG (60KB - 5 downloads)
2012-07-02 3:21 PM
in reply to: #4290050

User image

DP- I'll pray for your uncle.  Some direct, personal motivation for your training right there.  It always seems that the rough nights fall right when you want to get a good workout in don't they.  Either one of the kids is sick or you just can't sleep.  I guess that's one good thing about working out alone, you're never letting anyone down by having a day that you just get a few extra z's or something.  It's only good if you're self-motivated though...

Stegaman- I think the protein in the peanut butter sucks a lot of water out of your stomach that is short on blood because your legs and glutes are using the blood.  I've done whole wheat bread with regular clover honey on it.  They make a pre-packaged version in the honey-stingers, but I think my technique is just as good. 

I did my 5K swim last weekend.  Haven't done a race report, but there's an article on the race at the bottom and I believe I'm in both pictures in the article, but then again, all of the 5K swimmers were wearing red caps so all of us are in the pictures...

It was for a great cause: Aaron Vaughn was a SEAL with Team 6 in Afghanistan on his 6th deployment, Helicopter went down killing all on board (16 SEALS and 14 others) last August. This race and a tough mudder to help raise some money for his kids. When they build-up a safe nest-egg, they'll push it into a fund to help all fallen SEAL's families.  His family are all christians and have such an inspirational outlook on his life and his sacrifice.  They all said he knew from age 7 that he wanted to be a SEAL and that he was doing what he loved for the country he loved until he died.  His wife and kids were there.  It made it more than just a big swim race.  The firefighters strung-up a huge flag between two ladder-trucks that made a very good marker for the end of the swim. 

I finished right on my target time of 1:40.  The race timer said 1:42, but my watch says 1:40:15 and I started it as the guy said "15 seconds!" 

This morning, I did a brick to kick-off my Loggerhead Sprint Tri training (August 4).  Let's just say I have some speed to find on the bike...

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2012/jul/01/swimming-for-a-worthy-cause/

2012-07-02 3:28 PM

User image

Forgot, 3 more things:

1) Chick, congrats on the 5K.  Cool pic with your little girl too.

2) Anyone watching the Tour de France?  Pretty exciting time of year...TdF, Olympic Track Trials, Olympic Swimming Trials.  It's awesome!

3) Great workout song if you're looking for one: NEEDTOBREATHE "Keep your eyes open."  I know they're a Christian band, but this song seems like they were intent on keeping it secular.  Only 2 or 3 phrases could be traced to scripture.  But it is a great workout song.  Good for riding on a trainer.  They sound a lot like Kings of Leon.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Second Wind Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 13