UltraMax
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 07m 25s
Overall Rank = 96/164
Age Group = 3539
Age Group Rank = 10/15
Pre-race routine:

The family and I drove to Topeka the night before and stayed in a motel. We were going to meet my friend Josh and his family but they showed up very late.
We met at 6:30am in the hotel for breakfast. I was not hungry at all but knew I needed food. I ate 2/3 of a bagel with peanut butter and some fruit.
We got to the race site and were very rushed. There was a storm approaching the area and the guy on the mic system was urging all participants to finish up setting up their transition and head to the water. I would have strongly preferred to have more time to relax and situate everything exactly how I want it.
Event warmup:

I did not have time to do any warmup. The organizers rushed everyone to the starting point indicating they were going to start early, but when everyone arrived they said that they actually weren't allowed to start early. They did announce that the race course was going to be shortened due to impending weather. They eliminated the long course swim and bike and everyone did the short course. The run course remained the same.

Worst case scenario for me as I preferred a longer swim and bike.
Swim
  • 08m 7s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 02s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was very disappointed in my swim. I expected to be strong in this area and while ultimately I did OK (4th in my age group) I did not reach my potential. Because of the shortened course, the wave swelled to include all men 30-40 for both the short and the long course. This is my first attempt entering from the shore in a wave. I knew about the crowd and the congestion, but I hadn't experienced it and it showed. I never could get comfortable: I was constantly running into people, getting kicked and never got into any kind of pattern of breathing. I was breathing heavily only 100 yards into the course. Because of the short course the mob never thinned and so I battled the entire way. This was probably the most disappointing part of my day. At one point I swam completely over the top of some guy in the previous wave who was backstroking...awkward.
What would you do differently?:

Read up on swim strategies. I can swim fast, but I've got to figure out a better approach to the mob.
Transition 1
  • 02m 57s
Comments:

I thought my transition went ok. I was breathing heavily on the swim exit. I tried to take my time drying off my feet and putting my socks on. I can't move very quickly with my Look cleats. My mount went ok and I avoided any embarrassing falls.

I thought it went ok for my first ever transition but I'm sure there is room to improve.

set up better and think through the entire transition better.
Bike
  • 42m 23s
  • 13 miles
  • 18.40 mile/hr
Comments:

I thought the bike went pretty well but in hindsight I didn't hammer it nearly hard enough. I was passing lots of people and I was only getting passed by $5K tri bikes and areo helmets so I figured I was doing ok. I was also trying to save my legs for the run.

I almost never had to get out of the saddle and the hills was quite small.

Go harder. I could have increased my average speed I'm certain. I think I got too comfortable passing slower people and did not reach my potential.
Transition 2
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

I had never contemplated taking my feet out of my shoes while riding in order to speed the transition.

The transition went ok...I felt it was somewhat smooth but not incredible.

see above. Just refine and practice.
Run
  • 1h 12m 20s
  • 7.5 miles
  • 09m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Not even 1 mile in and I started walking up a few hills. I didn't want to walk at all but I was feeling it already and wanted to last the entire race. At this point I wasn't sure if I was still on the long course or if the race officials had changed everyone to short course. I got going and passed a ton of people that must of been short-coursers. After the short course turned around the field really opened up. At that point, I was starting to get passed by faster runners. For a long time I was running by myself (it seemed). I had a hard time on miles 3-4 and caught a little more life toward the end. I started catching a few people at the end. On the final half mile I tried to push it but I didn't have much in the tank.

train, try not to get injured.

The run is the most difficult part for me. I plan to step back on my training and start running short distances and building up into the 8-10 miles range. I went too far too quickly and I think my body has not always handled it well.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Injuries slowed my training. It had been about 1.5 weeks since my previous run as I was trying to save my Achilles. It helped me stay healthy.

I need to prepare for the swim better, push myself on the bike more, and get better conditioned for the run.

Event comments:

This was a good race. I was disappointed that the course was shortened but it was done for the athlete's safety in mind. Overall, it was a great experience for a first-time.

Last updated: 2012-04-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:07 | 400 meters | 02m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/15
Overall: 0/164
Performance: Bad
Suit: tri suit
Course:
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:57
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:42:23 | 13 miles | 18.40 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/15
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:41
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:12:20 | 07.5 miles | 09m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/15
Course: The first part of the course was pretty tough with a few hills. Overall, it was pretty flat with a few decent hills here and there. The course circled the lake. Hydration stations were every 1.5 miles or so and served Gatorade and Water (in Hammer Nutrition cups). The distance of the course changed several times: for a long time it was listed as 7.5M and a week before the race showed 7M. I'm convinced it was closer to 7.5M.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes