General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2012-10-18 4:35 PM
in reply to: #4458724

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread

I should add - the water / IM Perform are additional take ones, over and above the 2 * 24oz Acceleraid R4 (protein+Carb) mix that i take.  One of which i start wiht on my bike - the other i collect from the special needs bag half way round....    My problem was that i was just going with the IM perform and making me sick...    combo of that and water starts to work after i retched quite badly just aftre the turn round at A Forks.....    85mile in....    

I miss Placid...    Think i`ll book a weekend snowboarding

2012-10-19 7:02 PM
in reply to: #4459731

Regular
I bet itis really beautiful up there with the trees right now...Been doing light running as of late, more for basic maintenance. Getting a Powertap installed right now. That way I will be able to measure my lack of being in shape very precisely!How is everyone else doing?
2012-10-19 8:55 PM
in reply to: #4341496

Regular
Brighton MA
Just set up the trainer in my pain cave. starting to get cold in boston, rainy to...start officially training in november. Also installed my SRM powermeter got my gait analayzed and joined a master prog. Heres to placid, and training hard. Good luck to everyone!
2012-10-21 8:45 AM
in reply to: #4458378

User image

East Syracuse, New York
runninirish - 2012-10-17 9:06 PM

erincs - 2012-10-17 2:00 PM Agree, the IM Perform is nasty stuff!  I plan to carry what I can and have a refill waiting in bike special needs.

I've been using it religiously in training for the past month.  I like Accelerade better...but would really like simplicity of living off the course.  I've been tinkering with intake, but hope to have it dialed in to a "T" come July.

I cant deal with any sport drink like perform for more than an hour, so i trained with water and some "off brand" electrolyte/salt pills. Worked well for me...hydration/electolytes/nothing sweet that might upset stomach after hrs and hrs of abuse. I trained with peanut butter on whole wheat sandwiches to keep cost down and ate them on the bike. By the time I started the run I couldnt eat another 1/2 sandwich if you paid me, my stomach felt fine but i just didnt feel like eating anything that heavy. I lived off the course eating small packets of gu-gels and bonk breakers, and mixing water and perform 50/50 for calories.

2012-10-22 7:57 AM
in reply to: #4461340

User image

Extreme Veteran

jsenc2002 - 2012-10-19 8:02 PM I bet itis really beautiful up there with the trees right now...Been doing light running as of late, more for basic maintenance. Getting a Powertap installed right now. That way I will be able to measure my lack of being in shape very precisely!How is everyone else doing?

Yes it is!

2012-10-22 7:26 PM

User image

Bel Air

Hey Everyone!

This will be my first Ironman.  It's a dream 5 years in the making.  I started out running 5 years ago and it took me 3 years to get the courage to start doing triathlon.  I did my first triathlon in 2011 (an Olympic distance) and did my first Half Ironman this year (Eagleman).  My goal at EMan was 6 hours and finished in 5:22, which gave me the courage to sign up for an IM.  My only goal is to get there healthy, finish, and to truly enjoy the beauty of the course.  I've been looking at plans and came across one from trifuel.com (http://www.trifuel.com/triathlon/ironman-workouts/).  It's a 32 wee plan that would begin Nov. 5.  Has anyone heard or done this one and if so, any advice?  If not, I may look at the Fink plan everyone has talked about.  Any and all advice would be great! i'm so excited, yet so scared/anxious, for this race.

2012-10-23 8:20 AM
in reply to: #4464410

User image

Extreme Veteran
adamjbosley - 2012-10-22 8:26 PM

Hey Everyone!

This will be my first Ironman.  It's a dream 5 years in the making.  I started out running 5 years ago and it took me 3 years to get the courage to start doing triathlon.  I did my first triathlon in 2011 (an Olympic distance) and did my first Half Ironman this year (Eagleman).  My goal at EMan was 6 hours and finished in 5:22, which gave me the courage to sign up for an IM.  My only goal is to get there healthy, finish, and to truly enjoy the beauty of the course.  I've been looking at plans and came across one from trifuel.com (http://www.trifuel.com/triathlon/ironman-workouts/).  It's a 32 wee plan that would begin Nov. 5.  Has anyone heard or done this one and if so, any advice?  If not, I may look at the Fink plan everyone has talked about.  Any and all advice would be great! i'm so excited, yet so scared/anxious, for this race.

u are a gold member, so why you don't use any of the BT training plans?

2012-10-25 7:11 PM
in reply to: #4463060

Regular
camaleon - 2012-10-22 8:57 AM

jsenc2002 - 2012-10-19 8:02 PM I bet itis really beautiful up there with the trees right now...Been doing light running as of late, more for basic maintenance. Getting a Powertap installed right now. That way I will be able to measure my lack of being in shape very precisely!How is everyone else doing?

Yes it is!

Fantastic!

2012-10-25 7:14 PM
in reply to: #4464913

Regular
camaleon - 2012-10-23 9:20 AM

Hey Everyone!

I am going to use the Fink plan; a 32 week plan would seem really hard to stick to, at least for me.  Have you used plans that long in the past?  I find the first 8-12 weeks to be easy, and then when the ramping up really starts, life gets in the way...  my personal challenge with a plan that long would be when I miss some workouts, getting back on the plan without getting hurt.  In any case, welcome, and congrats on living the dream!  Committing (in every sense of the word!) is the first step!

2012-10-25 10:30 PM
in reply to: #4469788

User image

Bel Air
Thanks for that info.  I'm going with the 8 week winter maintenance bike focus then going to transition into the fink plan.  Just signed up for Quassy as my HIM race June 2.
2012-10-26 6:35 AM
in reply to: #4469788

User image

Extreme Veteran
jsenc2002 - 2012-10-25 8:14 PM
camaleon - 2012-10-23 9:20 AM

Hey Everyone!

I am going to use the Fink plan; a 32 week plan would seem really hard to stick to, at least for me.  Have you used plans that long in the past?  I find the first 8-12 weeks to be easy, and then when the ramping up really starts, life gets in the way...  my personal challenge with a plan that long would be when I miss some workouts, getting back on the plan without getting hurt.  In any case, welcome, and congrats on living the dream!  Committing (in every sense of the word!) is the first step!

I used the fink plan for my first IM and I really like it so I'm probably going to use it again for LP. I missed a couple of work outs as well but I made sure I hit the long bike/runs work outs (basically Sat/Sun WO).

Gluck!

2012-10-27 11:46 AM

User image

5,000 miles from home
Hi everyone, just checking in. Enjoyed reading everyone's posts, 12 pages to catch up on already and it's only October! I Fink I've got my plan together for IMLP Version 3.0 with a little Rev3 Quassy in the mix. Looking forward to starting training soon, mostly biking and running right now. I tried out a new nutrition product today called UCan before my run. Anyone else tried this? It worked really well for me, absolutely no energy or stomach issues whatsoever. I may experiment a little bit with this in training and possibly use it on the course, as I cannot tolerate the taste of Perform at all.
2012-11-02 6:45 AM
in reply to: #4471707

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont

Keaulani - 2012-10-27 12:46 PM Hi everyone, just checking in. Enjoyed reading everyone's posts, 12 pages to catch up on already and it's only October! I Fink I've got my plan together for IMLP Version 3.0 with a little Rev3 Quassy in the mix. Looking forward to starting training soon, mostly biking and running right now. I tried out a new nutrition product today called UCan before my run. Anyone else tried this? It worked really well for me, absolutely no energy or stomach issues whatsoever. I may experiment a little bit with this in training and possibly use it on the course, as I cannot tolerate the taste of Perform at all.

One of my running friends mentioned UCan a few weeks ago and indicated that her son, who normally has a pretty touchy stomach, handled it really well. I'm really doing well with Hammer right now, but I was told that UCan offers a similar profile. I haven't looked to see if that's the case or not ... just offering you another positive (albeit through a third person) review.

2012-11-04 7:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY

We are 38 weeks away folks! Hardcore, dedicated training starts today for me.

Heading up to LP this weekend to do 1.25 loops!

2012-11-04 7:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut
I officially start my QT2 training program tomorrow. 38 weeks away doesn't seem like much! Especially when you mix in about 18 weeks of New England winter.
2012-11-04 2:47 PM

Regular
Brighton MA
just got my training plan from my coach yesterday and I start tomorrow. Very excited to begin this journey to my first ironman! good luck everyone!

2012-11-04 3:50 PM

User image

Pro
tasr - 2012-08-01 1:50 PM Hi All,

This will be the 3rd IMLP for me.  I love this course and have trained here a few times.  In 2013 my goal is to improve my overall time from 2010, the last time I raced this course.

I have a few years of experience with Triathlons, so any questions I will try to answer. 

So questions for the group.

1. Is this your first IM?
2. Have you done LP before?
3. What are your goals for the 2013 race?
4. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about LP (the race, training etc&hellip

1. Yes.

2. See 1. No. But I have swam/ran/biked there as a volunteer.

3. Finish. Sub-13 is my goal, knowing that I'd accept anything sub-17 for my first.

4. Just this:

I have not trained for two months due to a bike crash and PT. Just got cleared to start again last week, am really afraid to see how much fitness I lost. I will be doing Boston in April, which should be excellent for getting my running form back. The big concern is biking, it's now going to require a lot more training to get back from this accident, and IMLP is a tough course.

Is everyone hiring a coach? I would prefer not to, but because of injury and the marathon I;m not sure anything but a custom plan would work well for me.

Thoughts?

2012-11-04 4:08 PM
in reply to: #4482949

User image

Bel Air

My training starts tomorrow!! I'm doing an 8 week maintenance plan with bike focus and then transitioning into the Fink plan with custom workouts from BT.  I'm not going to hire a coach because I can't afford it, but I'm sure a custom plan would be fine.  That's what i did for EMan.

For those who have raced Quassy and LP, what is the Quassy course like compared to LP.  I heard some people say Quassy is more difficult?

2012-11-05 3:50 AM
in reply to: #4482968

User image

Extreme Veteran

u guys are starting early!

2012-11-05 6:07 AM
in reply to: #4482968

User image

East Syracuse, New York
adamjbosley - 2012-11-04 4:08 PM

My training starts tomorrow!! I'm doing an 8 week maintenance plan with bike focus and then transitioning into the Fink plan with custom workouts from BT.  I'm not going to hire a coach because I can't afford it, but I'm sure a custom plan would be fine.  That's what i did for EMan.

For those who have raced Quassy and LP, what is the Quassy course like compared to LP.  I heard some people say Quassy is more difficult?

Ive never done Quassy but pretty sure I remember hearing the same thing. The thing with LP is is the last 20mi of each loop is a loooong slooow (mostly) uphill grind. If you ride anywhere with hills theres nothing at LP that will scare you....theres 1 decent hill, and then its just a long slow grind that will slowly take its toll. But completely doable for most if you dont burn yourself out on the 1st loop.

2012-11-06 1:28 PM
in reply to: #4483630

User image

Elite
TheCuse - 2012-11-05 7:07 AM
adamjbosley - 2012-11-04 4:08 PM

Ive never done Quassy but pretty sure I remember hearing the same thing. The thing with LP is is the last 20mi of each loop is a loooong slooow (mostly) uphill grind. If you ride anywhere with hills theres nothing at LP that will scare you....theres 1 decent hill, and then its just a long slow grind that will slowly take its toll. But completely doable for most if you dont burn yourself out on the 1st loop.

I have heard this for a while now and you cannot answer me but I wish someone that lives on Long island can compare this percent grade with something down here.....I realize we do not have a 20 mile long hill but just so I can conceptualize the incline compared to something I have ridden before

2012-11-07 4:04 AM
in reply to: #4486413

User image

Veteran

Nice to see some of you guys are starting your training.
I did IMLP last year and up until now Im still on IM withdrawal.  Im not doing anything triathlon related next year because 1) My wife is pregnant and due in Jan and 2) I only like the long distance ie half and full IM.  I miss being here and I miss training for IMLP.  Not a single day that I dont watch youtube Ironman clips and still gets goosebumps.

For first timers, enjoy everything this distance has to offer.  You will have your highs and lows during race day BUT remain positive all the time!  I finished in 16hrs last year. Long story short, I lost all my nutrition and liquid after the Keene descent.  I was dehydrated before I got to the next aid station.  So if possible, learn from my mistake, practice on what the venue has to offer!

AND, THIS IS NOT THE ONLY IRONMAN YOU WILL DO

2012-11-07 12:21 PM
in reply to: #4458378

User image

New user
runninirish - 2012-10-17 9:06 PM

erincs - 2012-10-17 2:00 PM Agree, the IM Perform is nasty stuff!  I plan to carry what I can and have a refill waiting in bike special needs.

I've been using it religiously in training for the past month.  I like Accelerade better...but would really like simplicity of living off the course.  I've been tinkering with intake, but hope to have it dialed in to a "T" come July.

I trained with Perform once I found out that's what was offered at IMFL.  It stained my water bottle like nothing else I've ever used.  I don't like the stuff but it is so much easier to use what the aid station offers.  I had a problem at IMFL with my bottle cage and was only limited to one functional holder.  The aid station bottle swap saved me.  I wind up swapping bottles at every station for the 2nd half of the bike.

Same with the run aid station.  May as well get use to the Perform during training.  I saw more than a few people ditching their fuel belt during the run.

Good luck with training everyone.

2012-11-07 4:30 PM
in reply to: #4458283

User image

New user
Finished IMFL this weekend.  Just ordered a trainer tire and booked the hotel for IMLP 2013.  Did the Don Fink intermediate plan for my first Ironman.  It worked out pretty well.  I suffered on the bike most with a 7:30 bike split on a flat and little wind day.  I am hoping to get stronger on the bike over the winter.  Won't do the 30 week plan anymore.  Maybe a 15 to 20 week this time around.  So it's off season until spring for me.  Will be trolling this forum going forward.
2012-11-08 9:45 AM
in reply to: #4482547

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
Cornick, what exactly does 1.25 loops get you in LP. What ride the course once, do Keene hill again and then ride back??? Whatever you do, stay safe, you deserve a better experience this year.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 59