BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2013-01-03 5:04 AM
in reply to: #4542655

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees
Subject: RE: kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED

Thanks to meulen, omahabritt and ken for advice on swimming.  I think I will try to do the whole exercise and see how long it takes - and hopefully I will speed up. I take the advice about not doing too long on riding or running though. I've never had any troubles with over training ha ha.

I have just been out on a little run after doing 50 odd mins on the bike trainer. Its only wet in the uk this year. Has been snowy and icy for the last two years at this  time so we're doing well.

And - in totally unrelated to tri news..I'm coming to America!. To New york in Novemberfor a friends birthday - it'll be all 'sex and the city' (hopefully). I'm very excited.  Cool

Jennifer

2013-01-03 8:21 AM
in reply to: #4559319

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
jennifer65 - 2013-01-03 6:04 AM

Thanks to meulen, omahabritt and ken for advice on swimming.  I think I will try to do the whole exercise and see how long it takes - and hopefully I will speed up. I take the advice about not doing too long on riding or running though. I've never had any troubles with over training ha ha.

I have just been out on a little run after doing 50 odd mins on the bike trainer. Its only wet in the uk this year. Has been snowy and icy for the last two years at this  time so we're doing well.

And - in totally unrelated to tri news..I'm coming to America!. To New york in Novemberfor a friends birthday - it'll be all 'sex and the city' (hopefully). I'm very excited.  Cool

Jennifer

Sounds like a great time Jennifer!

2013-01-03 8:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY

Boy I really hate the treadmill. Last night was my first TM run in a while. I've been running outside as I don't mind the cold. With the recent snow I've just been riding inside, since I hate the TM worse than the trainer, but finally decided to give it a go. Too much ice on the sidewalks, so I'll wait for that to clear up.

Couple of things though:

- My HR was through the roof at a slower "pace" according to the TM. For example, I'm typically between 150-155 BPM (my target) for hour long runs at about a 8:15-8:30 pace (which has been continually improving. A couple months ago I was about 9:15-9:30 pace) Last night I could barely maintain a 9:40 pace keeping my HR around 165. 

- I frequently get blisters on my toes (I've tried many different shoes with the same issues) on 10+ mile runs. Well, I felt them flaring up about 25min in.

- The TM is just plain boring and sucks. 

I know people have addressed the last issue in the past couple days. Thoughts on the first two?

2013-01-03 8:34 AM
in reply to: #4559307

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
kenj - 2013-01-03 5:45 AM
RunningJoke - 2013-01-03 3:33 AM

As I structure my training cycles (a la Friel)  I am trying to figure out how to identify an A race, because I am doing this point series where I essentially have an important race every 2 weeks for 8 weeks (Oly, Oly, sprint, and then oly or sprint for the last one).  Then I have a midseason break, followed by 1-2 longer races in the fall.  How would you all approach this?  Thanks!  Jaime

P.S. CyborgQueen you should definitely do the Moab Skinny Tire Festival! 

Doing a series like that would offer a challenge to training, but I think how you look at the series will help determine your goals.  Are these races you want to perform at your best or are they a lead into the second half of the year?  I would suggest if you are looking to perform well in the series that the first race is where you want to reach the end of the cycle then a series of recovery/taper efforts for the 8 weeks.  Then a good recovery before building again for the longer races in the fall. 

If anyone else has any thoughts on this, I am not that experienced in racing that often. 

I am with Ken in that you should finish your heavy build-type training before the series starts. Maybe train with volume that would be more appropriate for a longer distance so you can piggyback off of that base while you race/recover. I am shooting in the dark here, but I think it is good that you are working on tailoring your own plan. I dont think there's a canned plan out there that is geared towards maximizing results from multiple efforts without too much down time. It seems more like a pro or national team type schedule would be the way, with a killer preseason leading up to race season.

I have an old book feom an Olympic cycling coach that i will try to dig up. Its kind of dated but its the only thing I've read that isn't geared toward weekend warriors.

I do race quite often and will race more in 2013. At least 2 races a month from April to October. But I pick a few that are important to me, train for them, and "train through" the rest. For instance, first A race is May 5th. I will probably do 2 duathlons in April but wont alter training for them. Its not that I won't give them a full effort once i show up, but wont taper, etc. And do everything to maximize the results from each. But I don't think thats what you are looking to accomplish, so get that training base up early...

2013-01-03 8:42 AM
in reply to: #4559515

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
zee744 - 2013-01-03 9:26 AM

Boy I really hate the treadmill. Last night was my first TM run in a while. I've been running outside as I don't mind the cold. With the recent snow I've just been riding inside, since I hate the TM worse than the trainer, but finally decided to give it a go. Too much ice on the sidewalks, so I'll wait for that to clear up.

Couple of things though:

- My HR was through the roof at a slower "pace" according to the TM. For example, I'm typically between 150-155 BPM (my target) for hour long runs at about a 8:15-8:30 pace (which has been continually improving. A couple months ago I was about 9:15-9:30 pace) Last night I could barely maintain a 9:40 pace keeping my HR around 165. 

- I frequently get blisters on my toes (I've tried many different shoes with the same issues) on 10+ mile runs. Well, I felt them flaring up about 25min in.

I know people have addressed the last issue in the past couple days. Thoughts on the first two?

Thoughts on first issue - not all treadmills are accurate. The one in my basement shows me about 20% slower than any of the new ones at the gym. I just cover up the numbers and run by HR on the rare occasion that i have to use it. Also, are you using a strong fan while on that thing? You really need to keep the air moving while inside.

For blisters-i dont know. My folks passed down terrible eyesight, but sturdy feet (if i dont treat them too rough).

2013-01-03 8:43 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Couple of things though:

I have the opposite problem on the TM with my HR being way lower at a faster pace unless I jack up the incline some.  The only other thing that impacts that some is if I am in a hotel and the air is warm.  At home and at work I have fans I use to get the air moving some.  At the end of the day, there isn't a strong correlation to TM pace and outdoor pace.  The real measurement is training stress, which is best measured with HR on the treadmill.

I would either get to a running store, I think there is a Fleet Feet on Wolf Road, that can video tape your gait and recommend a shoe that doesn't allow your toes to slide around in.  Even if you buy them online instead of from them, you will know.  You could also try different socks or putting body glide on your toes, but that is just short term.  Is this something new or have you always battled it?  Depending on your foot strike, the TM will make any over stride that much worse which could also be a part of the blister problem. 

2013-01-03 8:49 AM
in reply to: #4559552

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
bdenehy - 2013-01-03 9:42 AM

Couple of things though:

Thoughts on first issue - not all treadmills are accurate. The one in my basement shows me about 20% slower than any of the new ones at the gym. I just cover up the numbers and run by HR on the rare occasion that i have to use it. Also, are you using a strong fan while on that thing? You really need to keep the air moving while inside.

For blisters-i dont know. My folks passed down terrible eyesight, but sturdy feet (if i dont treat them too rough).

Thanks. I'm just at the Y and there isn't much for air flow. I know that's one problem as I "overheat" pretty easily. 

2013-01-03 8:56 AM
in reply to: #4559557

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
kenj - 2013-01-03 9:43 AM

Couple of things though:

I have the opposite problem on the TM with my HR being way lower at a faster pace unless I jack up the incline some.  The only other thing that impacts that some is if I am in a hotel and the air is warm.  At home and at work I have fans I use to get the air moving some.  At the end of the day, there isn't a strong correlation to TM pace and outdoor pace.  The real measurement is training stress, which is best measured with HR on the treadmill.

I would either get to a running store, I think there is a Fleet Feet on Wolf Road, that can video tape your gait and recommend a shoe that doesn't allow your toes to slide around in.  Even if you buy them online instead of from them, you will know.  You could also try different socks or putting body glide on your toes, but that is just short term.  Is this something new or have you always battled it?  Depending on your foot strike, the TM will make any over stride that much worse which could also be a part of the blister problem. 

I know I should just focus on HR and time because like I said, its way off. All my outdoor running is tracked by GPS which is pretty accurate, the TM is just so frustrating. I think I'll just go around and buy a bag of salt to spread on all the sidewalks...or hire the guy from Home Alone.

It's not a new thing. First happened during my first 1/2 mary in 2009. I've bought all my running shoes from Fleet Feet and told them about all my problems. They said my shoes were too big initially, then the toe box was too low. Now they're fairly snug with a higher toe box. I use the thinnest socks I can find, maybe I'll try thicker? I use body glide on the longer runs, guess I should try it for all runs. 

2013-01-03 9:02 AM
in reply to: #4554693

User image

New user
Subject: RE: kenj mentor group - back for another great season! OPEN
zee744 - 2012-12-31 8:52 AM

January Goals:

- WAKE UP! I want to workout before work, but that requires a 5:30 wake up and I'm not a morning person...at all. Taking volunteers for my AM wake up call. Seriously.

- Continue to work with coach and follow my plan. 

- Use VO2 Max and other testing to get more specific HR zones.

- Order all necessary bike parts. i.e. don't need Zipps for the trainer.

- Continue to lose weight.

- Work more on strength and core. 

Nate--How are you doing with your "wake up" goal? I am failing miserably this week! I have not been able to motivate myself out of bed to exercise before work. I know all the tricks--lay clothes out the night before, don't give yourself an out, just do it, etc., etc. But I haven't made them work this week! How about you?

Also, to the group, I really have no excuse at all after reading your dreadmill and snow/ice horror stories--I'm in Florida, so even the "cold" weather here isn't that bad! Maybe that's what I'll think about tomorrow morning when the alarm goes off at 5am--it will be 70 degrees today but 32 in the morning--still no excuse for not running because at least there won't be snow!
2013-01-03 9:17 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
My toes are all jacked up too.  I get blisters on them all the time.  The worst is when I get them between the toes! Sealed.  I kinda got to know my limits.  For me, I know I won't get any problems until I hit about 8+ miles.  After that, I spray some tri-slide between my toes along with some other lubing rituals I must adhere too!
2013-01-03 9:40 AM
in reply to: #4559606

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
rquinn23 - 2013-01-03 10:02 AM
zee744 - 2012-12-31 8:52 AM

January Goals:

- WAKE UP! I want to workout before work, but that requires a 5:30 wake up and I'm not a morning person...at all. Taking volunteers for my AM wake up call. Seriously.

- Continue to work with coach and follow my plan. 

- Use VO2 Max and other testing to get more specific HR zones.

- Order all necessary bike parts. i.e. don't need Zipps for the trainer.

- Continue to lose weight.

- Work more on strength and core. 

Nate--How are you doing with your "wake up" goal? I am failing miserably this week! I have not been able to motivate myself out of bed to exercise before work. I know all the tricks--lay clothes out the night before, don't give yourself an out, just do it, etc., etc. But I haven't made them work this week! How about you? Also, to the group, I really have no excuse at all after reading your dreadmill and snow/ice horror stories--I'm in Florida, so even the "cold" weather here isn't that bad! Maybe that's what I'll think about tomorrow morning when the alarm goes off at 5am--it will be 70 degrees today but 32 in the morning--still no excuse for not running because at least there won't be snow!

HAHA you're funny. Wake up. Yea right! Ugh, I wish I could. I got to bed late last night and it was -8 when my alarm went off at 5:30. No thanks. Soon...I hope! If I was in your weather it would be much easier!

2013-01-03 9:46 AM
in reply to: #4559641

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY

Meulen - 2013-01-03 10:17 AM My toes are all jacked up too.  I get blisters on them all the time.  The worst is when I get them between the toes! Sealed.  I kinda got to know my limits.  For me, I know I won't get any problems until I hit about 8+ miles.  After that, I spray some tri-slide between my toes along with some other lubing rituals I must adhere too!

*WARNING THIS IS GROSS* 

I get blisters on both feet under my second and third toenails. I typically lose the toenails after HIM or IM. Prior to that I get lovely blisters that make it feel like the nails are being ripped off every time my foot hits the ground when running.

*DON'T SAY I DIDN'T WARN YOU* Laughing

I use the body glide stick, but how does the spray work? I could use something easier. 

2013-01-03 10:07 AM
in reply to: #4559706

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
zee744 - 2013-01-03 9:46 AM

Meulen - 2013-01-03 10:17 AM My toes are all jacked up too.  I get blisters on them all the time.  The worst is when I get them between the toes! Sealed.  I kinda got to know my limits.  For me, I know I won't get any problems until I hit about 8+ miles.  After that, I spray some tri-slide between my toes along with some other lubing rituals I must adhere too!

*WARNING THIS IS GROSS* 

I get blisters on both feet under my second and third toenails. I typically lose the toenails after HIM or IM. Prior to that I get lovely blisters that make it feel like the nails are being ripped off every time my foot hits the ground when running.

*DON'T SAY I DIDN'T WARN YOU* Laughing

I use the body glide stick, but how does the spray work? I could use something easier. 

I like the spray because it gets between the toes easier, works good for me.  But it sounds like you may need some shoes with a higher toe box if you are rubbing toenails on the top of the shoe?  Or maybe a half size larger?

2013-01-03 11:44 AM
in reply to: #4559586

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
zee744 - 2013-01-03 8:56 AM
kenj - 2013-01-03 9:43 AM

Couple of things though:

I know I should just focus on HR and time because like I said, its way off. All my outdoor running is tracked by GPS which is pretty accurate, the TM is just so frustrating. I think I'll just go around and buy a bag of salt to spread on all the sidewalks...or hire the guy from Home Alone.

It's not a new thing. First happened during my first 1/2 mary in 2009. I've bought all my running shoes from Fleet Feet and told them about all my problems. They said my shoes were too big initially, then the toe box was too low. Now they're fairly snug with a higher toe box. I use the thinnest socks I can find, maybe I'll try thicker? I use body glide on the longer runs, guess I should try it for all runs. 

IF you decide to change professions - we could use you up here in Alaska!  They just closed all the xcountry ski trails due to "hazardous conditions and ice on parking lots and trails". I just have to hang tight - snow is in the forecast for Sunday.

2013-01-03 11:46 AM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
I have no suggestions for the blisters - just that I have started to get them on the balls of my feet.  Changed shoes after my PF bout - I think I will take blisters over PF (for now).  Good luck!
2013-01-03 11:56 AM

User image

You guys with the blisters have you tried tape? I know someone who has to get a combination of the right socks, which are usually thicker and tape and it seems to help.  Also folks I know use aquaphor which seems to be better than body glide.

2013-01-03 12:35 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
The only other suggestion besides what has been offered is to try and shorten up your stride a little.  I am not talking about heel or toe striking, but making sure your foot strikes the ground underneath you, not out in front.  I thought you were getting blisters on the bottom of your toes, if they are your toe nails, it is because your toes are sliding forward when the shoe contacts the ground.  I get them on long runs too, but I think it is mostly due to form breaking down and over striding a bit.  I may not be right about this, but from your comment about it being worse on the treadmill I believe I may be since the tread going backwards against the shoe would exaggerate the over striding.
2013-01-03 12:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA

As far as blisters on the toes go, I have some of the Injinji socks.  At first they felt really weird, but after having them on for a few minutes, you don't even notice the toes.  But, they keep my feet and toes happy, and I never get blisters when I wear them.  It might be worth a try.

I am still cranky and unhappy with my cold.  Normally, I can continue to work out through a cold, but my asthma is really aggravated this time, and I find it hard to breath just walking, let alone working out.  However, I also signed up for the Pittsburgh Marathon in May.  It will be my first full marathon, so I better be able to get back to training soon!

Karen

2013-01-03 12:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
zee744 - 2013-01-03 8:26 AM

Couple of things though:

When I run on the TM (which is rarely because I HATE IT SO MUCH), it's always harder & slower. Not an an answer to your problem, but I feel your pain. Sometimes to break it up I'll do strength circuits -2 miles on the TM, set of 3 different weight sets 3x, 2 miles on the TM, another weight set, 2 miles on TM, & a final weight set.

That being said, my gym has a track, which when I'm forced to run inside, I almost always run on (one of the reasons I picked that gym). They also have a treading class (like spin class but on a treadmill), which is the ONLY time I don't mind running on the TM.

As for blisters, maybe different socks? My favorite are Balga. They have some that are nice & cushy. Also Wright socks for running. They have 2 layers that are supposed to prevent blisters. I like them but not as much as my Balgas. Oh, & Smartwool running socks if its cold or wet.
2013-01-03 12:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY

Wow, lots of good advice. Now I'm going to take it all and do it all! Haha. I'll do some experimenting and see what helps. Regardless, the treadmill is going to suck. 

I currently have some balega socks that I love because my feet get really hot when running and they're really thin and help keep cool. I almost feel like my shoes are too big and have too much movement, even though they are rather snug. I don't know. I'm due for a new pair of shoes soon, so it will be off to fleet feet I go again. Most all of my "problems" have been foot/shoe related, so this is a really frustrating process. 

Thanks again!

2013-01-03 1:15 PM
in reply to: #4556514

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
robingray_260 - 2013-01-01 3:11 PM  

Hey Karen - I feel your pain with the plantar fasciitis!  This time last year I was in a walking boot to try and get over it.  Had it for about 5 months severely - still can occasionally feel it.  Let me know if you have any questions on treatment - I tried everything except accupuncture and surgery. - Robin

Hi Robin -

First, let me ask how your PF is feeling?  You will give me incredible hope if you tell me it is better!!  I feel like I have tried everything.  Shots.  Night splint (still wearing this).  Ice.  Rolling with a tennis ball, golf ball, frozen water bottle, specific foot roller, and Stick.  Insoles.  Heel cups.  Different running shoes.  Birkenstocks.  Not running.  Running less.  Galloway running (still doing this).  And now PT for the last 2 months.  I just started running on the treadmill at PT and it still hurts!  When I started, the PT told me he didn't want me to run until I could run totally pain free, but I think he has given up on that too!  I have probably done other things, those are just what I can think of off the top of my head!  How did you keep from just being so frustrated?  Any other suggestions you can think of?  Did you change running shoes?  I didn't like the change and went back to my regular shoes.  My mother in law just told me she heard to wrap my foot in a cloth soaked in warmed flaxseed oil!!  I am getting desperate, I might just try it!!!

Karen

2013-01-03 1:24 PM
in reply to: #4560207

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
gadgetlaw - 2013-01-03 1:15 PM
robingray_260 - 2013-01-01 3:11 PM  

Hey Karen - I feel your pain with the plantar fasciitis!  This time last year I was in a walking boot to try and get over it.  Had it for about 5 months severely - still can occasionally feel it.  Let me know if you have any questions on treatment - I tried everything except accupuncture and surgery. - Robin

Hi Robin -

First, let me ask how your PF is feeling?  You will give me incredible hope if you tell me it is better!!  I feel like I have tried everything.  Shots.  Night splint (still wearing this).  Ice.  Rolling with a tennis ball, golf ball, frozen water bottle, specific foot roller, and Stick.  Insoles.  Heel cups.  Different running shoes.  Birkenstocks.  Not running.  Running less.  Galloway running (still doing this).  And now PT for the last 2 months.  I just started running on the treadmill at PT and it still hurts!  When I started, the PT told me he didn't want me to run until I could run totally pain free, but I think he has given up on that too!  I have probably done other things, those are just what I can think of off the top of my head!  How did you keep from just being so frustrated?  Any other suggestions you can think of?  Did you change running shoes?  I didn't like the change and went back to my regular shoes.  My mother in law just told me she heard to wrap my foot in a cloth soaked in warmed flaxseed oil!!  I am getting desperate, I might just try it!!!

Karen

Hey Karen!  good to see your still at this!

I've been dealing with PF about 6 months now.  I've tried everything you've listed!  It's frustrating, there's no getting around.  Just keep at it and listen to your PT.  It's a frustrating injury.  Tough healing time because of the lack of blood flow to the area.  Mine is just now starting to feel better, but I still feel it.  My coach has me taking the month off of running right now.  I'm only going to be pool running, and just keep going on the ball/sock/ice/foam roller/stretching/etc.  It's gotta go away........right?

Edited by Meulen 2013-01-03 1:24 PM
2013-01-03 2:58 PM
in reply to: #4551960

User image

rquinn23 - 2012-12-28 1:49 PM I would like to join this mentor group! I have not been a member of a mentor group before--in fact, I have not really used Beginner Triathlete much for anything other than articles, so using the training log will be new for me, too (I use TheDailyMile.com to log my training now). I guess I will use the format that others in this group have for my bio. NAME: Becky Quinn STORY: I am a 37 year-old, weekend warrior type. Married, no children, and though I am not new to triathlon, I have signed up for my first Ironman distance race for 2013 (more on that later). I think I started triathlons with some sprint distance races in 1998 at the urging of a friend who was doing them. At the time I had just started running 5K races, was definitely a mid-packer, used a cheap mountain bike, then a cheap road bike, for the triathlons, and swam laps at the gym with no real idea of what I was doing. I love the event aspect of the triathlon--there is so much planning, preparation and then execution of the plan that I think of as fun. After a few years I stopped doing triathlons for no particular reason, but got more into running and in 2001 completed my first marathon. I have now completed a total of 9 marathons, and a couple of years ago finally broke the elusive 4 hour time goal. This year (March of 2012) I tried to qualify for Boston (which I think requires a 3:40 for my age group), and came up way short because of a bad race. I still broke 4 hours, though, so I was happy with that. In 2008 I discovered cycling as an endurance sport rather than just part of a triathlon, became involved in a local cycling group, and found that I am quite good at it, for a weekend warrior, that is. And although I had been participating in various cycling and running events each year, by the end of 2010 I was the heaviest I had been in a while and made up my mind to get serious about training for something. It turns out that I really need to have a goal, an event, something to aim for with training, or else I let the excuses for NOT exercising take control. I started CrossFit in January of 2011, and absolutely LOVE it. I am a huge CrossFit fan, particularly because I saw how it positively impacted my running and cycling. I decided 2011 would be the year for triathlons, completed a few sprints and an olympic distance, then did my first half-ironman at Amelia Island, FL in October of 2011. I was very fit by that time, but had let my training falter in the last few weeks leading up to the event, so I did not do as well as I could have, but was still happy with my result. After that race was the first time I ever considered a full ironman. After thinking about it for a year, I signed up for Ironman Louisville which is in August of 2013. CURRENT TRAINING: You'll notice I have mentioned cycling and running quite a bit, but not swimming. My swim is terrible, which has to be due to technique since I have strength and endurance. And because it is so terrible, I have neglected it in the past because I don't enjoy it as much as the other disciplines. I will be focusing on swimming 3-4 days per week starting in January. Because of an insanely heavy work schedule this year (I work for an elections office--enough said!), I am really out of shape at the moment, but have been back to CrossFit for 3 weeks, have started running again, but will likely only bike once a week, and maybe once more on a trainer, for the next couple of months as I focus on swimming, running and core work. PAST RACES: As I mentioned, 2011 was my big triathlon year, and this year I ran a half marathon PR in February, a marathon in March, then not much more other than some 5K races (my times are noticeably slower this year than they were last year when I was in much better shape). 2013 RACES: My A race will be Ironman Louisville in August. Leading up to that I hope to fit in a local half-ironman in April, an Olympic distance and a few sprints, as well as a half marathon in February that I run every year (Gasparilla in Tampa, FL--an awesome race if you're able to make it). WEIGHT LOSS: I have about 10 pounds of fat to lose, and my goal is to become the fittest I have ever been this year. Often times in the past I have let my nutrition and training lapse because I know I can still complete a race if I'm not 100% focused. I know this will not be the case with an ironman, so I need to remain focused and work on my dedication to nutrition and my training plan. WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I am a big fan of supporting others and learning about what works and doesn't work for others in training and nutrition. I like to see people accomplish their goals, especially if they come from a place where they have not had confidence in themselves in the past, but discover that confidence and strength through an active lifestyle. I hope I can also offer something to the group...I am a master at transitions in a triathlon, both T1 and T2! So I've got that going for me. I'm looking forward to this group! Thanks for having me.

Becky, how do you incorporate Crossfit into your tri training? Its very intensive so I am wondering how you structure your training as to get proper recovery and get in enough run/bike/swim?

2013-01-03 3:28 PM
in reply to: #4560518

User image

New user
Mission2be - 2013-01-03 3:58 PM

rquinn23 - 2012-12-28 1:49 PM I started CrossFit in January of 2011, and absolutely LOVE it. I am a huge CrossFit fan, particularly because I saw how it positively impacted my running and cycling. I decided 2011 would be the year for triathlons, completed a few sprints and an olympic distance, then did my first half-ironman at Amelia Island, FL in October of 2011.

Becky, how do you incorporate Crossfit into your tri training? Its very intensive so I am wondering how you structure your training as to get proper recovery and get in enough run/bike/swim?

Michelle, I was able to fit in 3-4 Crossfit sessions per week, but definitely let the swim workouts slide, so I did not stick to the plan 100%. That was when training for a HIM but completing shorter races during the training period. I would make sure that in the week leading up to a race that I did not do any heavy XFit workouts from Tuesday on, and none ever the day before the race, but I would still complete lighter workouts that week just to keep the training going. I would do one of my short runs just before XFit class, and on other XFit days would do a S, B or R in the morning or evening opposite my XFit (the classes were sometimes 6am sometimes 6pm depending on the day).

My plan this year training for my first IM will be different, though. I looked into CrossFit Endurance, which is more specific for endurance athletes, and the suggestion is to allow a minimum of 3-4 hours between a Crossfit workout and any S, B or R workout. I will do Crossfit only 2-3 times per week, and will not pair it with any other workout back-to-back. I know most of the triathlon plans indicate that strength training is not necessary once you're full-on into the tri training plan, but I have seen the benefits of a strong core translated directly onto the bike and run. Though both biking and running use core muscles for stabilization and efficiency, neither actually strengthen those muscles. Through XFit (and therefore a strengthened core), the hip and piriformis pain which I used to have while running completely went away, and the pain and fatigue I used to get between my shoulder blades while cycling went away.

This year, however, this is all contingent on my XFit gym owner giving me a discount, because I cannot afford gym membership (for the pool) and XFit at the same time, so we'll see!

The other XFit advice I have is to start now if you're considering it, because the first month is BRUTAL! Lots and lots of soreness that will certainly derail some planned S, B, R workouts, so you don't want to start it while already well into your triathlon training. After the first month, there will certainly still be soreness after workouts (some more than others), but it won't be quite as debilitating.

Good luck! Let me know if you try it.

2013-01-03 5:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

* Blisters - I made a conscious decision long ago to go with USAT socks.  I think they are DeFeet.  I figured if USAT was backing them if they'd had problems with blisters over time someone would have told them.  I think I've had one blister in 4 years.   No kidding.

* I love the treadmill.  The workouts are efficient and intense.  Short time, great strides.  I do speed work and hill repeats on them.  I try to get outside for the long run because 90 minutes on a treadmill is a long time for me to focus.  But I will if I have to.  

* Strength exercises especially this time of year are great.  I have been working with a kettlebell coach for a year. Awesome improvement in strength.  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64