BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2012-12-28 4:36 PM
in reply to: #4552215

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed
snarky - 2012-12-28 2:34 PM

Thor: Come to Napa!! Cynthia and I are going to have a party, but I hear we will be imbibing wine. As a local, I can help you find the beer though.

DH: wow, 100 km... just wow. Inspirational.

Kim: Congrats on making it to the pool and good luck with your long run tomorrow.

Jared: Looks like a great year ahead.

I thought I would be able to make it to the pool this week by going to the community pool in the next town over, but they are closed too. It won't be until January 2nd that I will be able to get back at it. In the mean time, back on the bike. My hip flexor muscle is still sore so running is a week or so off - I miss it.

Have a great afternoon everyone!

Looking at my schedule, I just get back from Tampa(family holiday)on the 9th of April...may be a stretch to turn around and head to Napa...but ya never know!

2012-12-28 4:39 PM
in reply to: #4551983

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
jlangene - 2012-12-28 11:59 AM

I won't weigh in on the oversleeping issue, as I am still on vacation and have essentially been laying around all morning.  But, while sitting here on the laptop watching tv, I decided I better at least put together my goals for the year, so here goes:

1. Be the best Dad/Father possible
  2. Drop weight to 180 by mid June
  3. Complete the Bataan Memorial Death March in 7 hours - March 17, 2013
  4. Complete the Milkman Sprint Triathlon - June 1?, 2013
  5. Complete the City of Lakes Sprint Triathlon - July 13, 2013
  6. Run the Quay County 5k - October 2013
  7. Complete the Master of the Mountain adventure race - October 2013
  8. Avoid injury, especially  @*#%$! shin splints
  9. Ride my bike 100 miles in one ride by December 2013 (have it mapped out just need to train and do it)
  10. Log 1,500 miles on bike
  11. Log 750 miles jogging
  12. Surf in the Pacific Ocean
  13. Identify 400 bird species
  14. Try 50 new beers
  15. Go ziplining
  16. Shoot under 85 on Tucumcari Golf Course
  17. Take the family camping at least twice

Ok so it is a pretty big list and not all pertains to tri, but I think that sounds like some pretty good goals for the new year.  Now that I have that done, I can get out and do my long run for the week!  

Red=add to my list!Smile

Looks great!

2012-12-28 4:43 PM
in reply to: #4552261

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

BigDH - 2012-12-28 2:59 PM sawed off 30k this afternoon, another 70 to go.

Shorts and a muscle shirt for the run today?? Must have felt like a heatwave today!

2012-12-28 6:59 PM
in reply to: #4550784

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
kevinbe - 2012-12-27 8:30 PM

2 days of training back under my belt and my bro in laws are taking me fishing tomorrow.  It's all these legs can stand.     I went to the store tonight to p/u a 6 pk, and the 22's were on sale at rediculously low prices.  I had to support the local grocer.  I bought 8 22's (All different IPA's and 1 Barleywine) that I wouldn't normaly buy, and 2 6pk's plus a 1/5 of Jim.  I'm a little impulsive,     but figure what doesn't get drank for by myself and 3 bro in laws can be my bevi's for next month.

Hoping to catch a few limits of rainbow's tomorrow.

Happy training all.

Kevin

My husband loves the barelywine I bring back in a growler from Stone in San Diego!

2012-12-28 11:18 PM
in reply to: #4552291

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
BigDH - 2012-12-28 2:18 PM
Qua17 - 2012-12-28 6:30 AM

Morning!  So I've been working for the last month on creating a set of goals and a plan for 2013.  2012 was great but I wasn't thrilled with my times and I always felt like I was battling some injury.  So, below you will find my plan for the year.  I hope you will take a close look at it to make sure that my plan aligns with my goals and that the races I have chosen will help me accomplish my goals.

Here's the plan:

Goals:

1. Continue exercising so I can be happy and healthy
  2. Increase my speed in the Swim Bike Run by 10%
  3. Challenge myself
  4. Avoid injury

2013 Races

Jan. - Nothin
Feb.- Hyannis
Mar. - Nothing
April 14 - Wrentham Du
May 18 - Season Opener
June 15 - Patriot Half or the Ashland Olympic or Marlborough Sprint (June
July
Aug 25 Rev 3 Maine
Sept.
Oct . 6 - Smuttynose Half
Nov. 11- Chilly Half, gobblewobble
Dec. Enjoy the off season

As you can see, I want this year to be run-focused.  As a former CC and track guy in hs, a 9 minute mile just doesn't cut it.  Also, with the goal of being challenged, I've chosen the HM as the race where I want to gauge the progress (I will also be doing 5K time trials each month to see if I'm getting faster as well).  I've also tried to incorporate downtime in the schedule with the hope of recovering for the 2 big HIM in June and Aug but also with the goal of avoiding injury.  One big concern I do have is that there is only 5 weeks between the two HM at the end, but with all the running I plan on doing, I think I can recover enough to see improvement during the last two races.

Please be critical and let me know your thoughts.  

Many thanks,

DQ

I gotta say I have no idea how you pulled a 2:12 at a HM in November based on your lack of run training all year and, specifically, your injury and inability to train for said HM. I don't get it. If I ran as much as you I would be lucky to get a 2:30. Clearly, being a former CC and Track Guy has given you some sort of wild historical fitness that you can draw down on. However, I refuse to believe that this super power you have cultivated will protect you at all from injury. And weren't you injured, and weren't you unable to run? I think your goals are results orientated when they should be process orientated. Take your totals from last year and increase them by 20 percent, then saw off some of your excess bike training and put it onto your run training. Hit those mileage goals and then you will be making progress. Is Hyannis the HM you are thinking, because that is in 2 months. Sure run it, but don't plan to kill it by any means. Also, hammering out a 5km time trail once a month will hamper your training for about 8 days around that time trial, if you want it to be an accurate gauge, so keep that in mind. I don't have a problem with the races, frankly I think you need lots of races to keep you going so good on you for finding them and signing up, and I know you will complete them. My major concern is that you keep talking about results as being your measuring stick for progress. Perhaps I missed it, but what is making this coming year run focused. Is it the races you are choosing or are you going to plan to run 3 times as much as you bike (as you did manage to bike 3 times as much as you ran this year). You can go as fast as you can and avoid injury. You can go as far as you can and avoid injury. But you can't do both. Sorry for the preachy bit, you didn't ask for that.
This^^  Good questions.
2012-12-28 11:21 PM
in reply to: #4552314

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
SportzVision - 2012-12-28 2:34 PM

Strength training on Monday night and Rockin body with Shawn T last night...sore today but back to the gym tonight!  Work is sucking the life outta me!!!!!!

+

Good on you for getting the workouts in.  Keep it up Cynthia!  You Rock.

2012-12-28 11:26 PM
in reply to: #4543109

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

I'm inspire BDAS.

Here's my 2013:

May Bloomsday 12 K 50:00 or bust.

May 19th Windermere Marathon 3:20:00 or bust.

September 15th Grand Columbian HIM distance Tri, 6:00:00 or bust on a difficult hilly course.

2014 goals:

May Troika HIM, 5:00:00 or bust

Couer D'Alene IM, or Challenge Penticton IM distance race.  12:00:00 or bust.

2012-12-29 9:29 AM
in reply to: #4552658

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
kevinbe - 2012-12-28 10:26 PM

I'm inspire BDAS.

Here's my 2013:

September 15th Grand Columbian HIM distance Tri, 6:00:00 or bust on a difficult hilly course.

2014 goals:

You should throw an oly or sprint in there. How was the fishin'?
2012-12-29 10:08 AM
in reply to: #4552261

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
BigDH - 2012-12-27 4:59 PM

sawed off 30k this afternoon, another 70 to go.

You are my new hero man! Kill those last klicks!!!!
2012-12-29 10:18 AM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Still working on my training plan, it's pretty fun getting ino the nuts and bolts of it all. I did get out for a run last night and it was glorious! I felt fast, the trees where covered in frost and , beautiful to look at! Also it was one of those days that dragged on, I didn't feel great or much like running after work, and then as you are running your spirit starts to lift, you get home and you feel like a million bucks! Really goes to show how important exercise is.
2012-12-29 10:23 AM

User image

New user

Good morning, all -I'm inspired to read all of the success stories and goal setting going on. I am still developing my goals for the year, and being a newbie I want to put a little more thought into it before posting. I've been a casual athlete all my life, and recently started running again, starting with the C25k in August. Since that time I've built up to 6 miles three times weekly, and decided to start training for a tri. I decided to set a goal for the New England Trifest held here in Vermont in June, which offers both Olympic and half distances. I set a goal to do the Olympic, figuring 6 months was enough to train. I entered my data into a gold training plan that has three runs, three bikes, and two swims weekly. When looking at the three runs (S, M, L) I saw that the distances were only a mile or so for the first few months, and that I wouldn't really be challenged until April or even May. With that in mind, I re-entered my training data as if I were doing a HIM, and the training seemed a little more a propos to what I am capable right now. I figure I can set my goals to do a HIM, and decide to back off and do the Olympic distance if that seems wiser. Sort an under-promise and over-deliver deal. So, my long winded question is this: my training now calls for distances of 1, or maybe 2 miles of running and I am capable of much more. As I start into full tri training should I keep trying for distances of, say, 3 miles (short), 4.5 miles (medium), and 6 miles (long) while adding the swimming and biking, or should I play it safe and do the much shorter mileage suggested by the program in the interest of avoiding over-training?Dan

2012-12-29 10:54 AM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Oh right beer! Almost forgot, I had a 1 litre can on Faxe! It says it was a Danish lager. It was something we have had around for a long time and it wasn't the best beer I had ever had, but there sure was enough of it!
2012-12-29 11:15 AM
in reply to: #4544845

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open

jlangene - 2012-12-21 11:04 PM Thanks! Unfortunately, the closest pool is 85 miles away.  I tried contacting the local hotels to see if they allowed people to use their pools, but none were willing to do so.  I am sure once April gets here, I will be able to get in lots of practice at the lake, and believe me I need it.  Went out of town this last weekend and realized I need lots of swim practice.  Thanks again for letting me join!

(noticed this while checking out some other Mentor Groups)

Sometimes pools are closer than you think; have you tried US Masters Swimming?  http://www.usms.org/placswim/ They keep a pretty good database of pools.  I use them when traveling to find a pool.  However they're not perfect, I just looked up Clovis, NM, where I had found a nice indoor pool last year.  But it isn't showing up on the the site.

2012-12-29 11:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

I think I found why my workouts are all over the place.  By this I mean days skipped, erratic times of the day, and just plain confusion.  I need a concrete plan and stop flying by the seat of my pants. Which of the sprint plans to choose? 

Thanks,

Alex

2012-12-29 12:51 PM
in reply to: #4552950

User image

Veteran
New Mexico
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open
tcj103 - 2012-12-29 10:15 AM

jlangene - 2012-12-21 11:04 PM Thanks! Unfortunately, the closest pool is 85 miles away.  I tried contacting the local hotels to see if they allowed people to use their pools, but none were willing to do so.  I am sure once April gets here, I will be able to get in lots of practice at the lake, and believe me I need it.  Went out of town this last weekend and realized I need lots of swim practice.  Thanks again for letting me join!

(noticed this while checking out some other Mentor Groups)

Sometimes pools are closer than you think; have you tried US Masters Swimming?  http://www.usms.org/placswim/ They keep a pretty good database of pools.  I use them when traveling to find a pool.  However they're not perfect, I just looked up Clovis, NM, where I had found a nice indoor pool last year.  But it isn't showing up on the the site.

Thanks, 

The facility in Clovis is the one that is closest at 85 miles away.  Unfortunately with our schedules, it is nearly impossible to work in a trip to Clovis on a regular basis.  I know I will get some swimming in when the weather warms up at the lake, which will probably be better anyway as all of my sprints are open water.  Thanks for the link though!

2012-12-29 1:14 PM
in reply to: #4552911

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
DBrew99 - 2012-12-29 9:23 AMGood morning, all -I'm inspired to read all of the success stories and goal setting going on. I am still developing my goals for the year, and being a newbie I want to put a little more thought into it before posting. I've been a casual athlete all my life, and recently started running again, starting with the C25k in August. Since that time I've built up to 6 miles three times weekly, and decided to start training for a tri. I decided to set a goal for the New England Trifest held here in Vermont in June, which offers both Olympic and half distances. I set a goal to do the Olympic, figuring 6 months was enough to train. I entered my data into a gold training plan that has three runs, three bikes, and two swims weekly. When looking at the three runs (S, M, L) I saw that the distances were only a mile or so for the first few months, and that I wouldn't really be challenged until April or even May. With that in mind, I re-entered my training data as if I were doing a HIM, and the training seemed a little more a propos to what I am capable right now. I figure I can set my goals to do a HIM, and decide to back off and do the Olympic distance if that seems wiser. Sort an under-promise and over-deliver deal. So, my long winded question is this: my training now calls for distances of 1, or maybe 2 miles of running and I am capable of much more. As I start into full tri training should I keep trying for distances of, say, 3 miles (short), 4.5 miles (medium), and 6 miles (long) while adding the swimming and biking, or should I play it safe and do the much shorter mileage suggested by the program in the interest of avoiding over-training?Dan
I would just advance you run to the week in the training schedule. eg. Week 12. Keep the s/b as is. Repeat if necessary. How is you swimming? You may want schedule a sprint or try a tri earlier in the season to work out some of the bugs.Also schedule a reward beer for those long runs!

2012-12-29 1:16 PM
in reply to: #4552930

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
justinfss - 2012-12-29 9:54 AMOh right beer! Almost forgot, I had a 1 litre can on Faxe! It says it was a Danish lager. It was something we have had around for a long time and it wasn't the best beer I had ever had, but there sure was enough of it!
I tend to stay away from European can beers. They tend to sit on the shelf a lonnnng time. Well other than Guinness of course. :-)
2012-12-29 1:19 PM
in reply to: #4552960

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Burd - 2012-12-29 10:27 AM

I think I found why my workouts are all over the place.  By this I mean days skipped, erratic times of the day, and just plain confusion.  I need a concrete plan and stop flying by the seat of my pants. Which of the sprint plans to choose? 

Thanks,

Alex

Whatever your weakest event is, have that as your focus. With family you will need to flexible with your workouts. It doesn't work if someone is unhappy. I try schedule my workouts early morning when kids are in bed. Or lunch at work.
2012-12-29 1:37 PM
in reply to: #4552859

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
thor67 - 2012-12-29 7:29 AM
kevinbe - 2012-12-28 10:26 PM

I'm inspire BDAS.

Here's my 2013:

2014 goals:

You should throw an oly or sprint in there. How was the fishin'?

Nah, HIM or greater for me.  $$  starts to add up. 

Fishing was worthless, the only thing I caught was a killer buzz and headache, and a little heat for the above buzz and headache when I got home.  I got outfished and outdrank by brother in laws, but the times were great.

Proceed to party.

2012-12-29 2:47 PM
in reply to: #4553064

User image

Regular
Bearspaw, Alberta
thor67 - 2012-12-29 12:19 PM

Thanks,

Alex

Whatever your weakest event is, have that as your focus. With family you will need to flexible with your workouts. It doesn't work if someone is unhappy. I try schedule my workouts early morning when kids are in bed. Or lunch at work.

I totally agree!  My workout times are a bit erratic as well but I usually try to go at night after the kids are in bed.  On the weekend, I do my long run in the late morning/early afternoon and I try to swim in the afternoon as well.  I mainly do it because for a long run, I want to be fresher than running at night allows me to be.  Plus, I play mental games with myself and tell myself I'm getting the night off.  

2012-12-29 2:53 PM

User image

Regular
Bearspaw, Alberta

I sit here typing with my celebratory beer because I RAN FOR MORE THAN AN HOUR FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER!!!!  I am all sorts of impressed with myself right now.  To think, less than a year ago I couldn't make it through week 1 of the C25K and today, 6 miles!  (I switched the treadmill into miles because I wanted to run less things and 6 miles seemed better than 10 K)  I feel like calling everyone I know to tell them.  I'll settle for Facebook though.  

I actually pulled a lot of motivation from something I read on BigDH's training blog about working out being homework and you didn't have to like it, you just had to do it.

<<<<<happy dance>>>>>

2012-12-29 3:11 PM
in reply to: #4553142

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Wiff - 2012-12-29 3:53 PM

I sit here typing with my celebratory beer because I RAN FOR MORE THAN AN HOUR FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER!!!!  I am all sorts of impressed with myself right now.  To think, less than a year ago I couldn't make it through week 1 of the C25K and today, 6 miles!  (I switched the treadmill into miles because I wanted to run less things and 6 miles seemed better than 10 K)  I feel like calling everyone I know to tell them.  I'll settle for Facebook though.  

I actually pulled a lot of motivation from something I read on BigDH's training blog about working out being homework and you didn't have to like it, you just had to do it.

<<<<>>>>

What a great thing to hear!!  

2012-12-29 3:12 PM
in reply to: #4553137

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Wiff - 2012-12-29 3:47 PM

Thanks,

Alex

I totally agree!  My workout times are a bit erratic as well but I usually try to go at night after the kids are in bed.  On the weekend, I do my long run in the late morning/early afternoon and I try to swim in the afternoon as well.  I mainly do it because for a long run, I want to be fresher than running at night allows me to be.  Plus, I play mental games with myself and tell myself I'm getting the night off.  

I guess with my son being out of school he is up later and here all day so it's kind of hard to get out while trying to entertain a 7 year old.

2012-12-29 5:29 PM
in reply to: #4553156

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Burd - 2012-12-29 2:12 PM
Wiff - 2012-12-29 3:47 PM

Thanks,

Alex

I guess with my son being out of school he is up later and here all day so it's kind of hard to get out while trying to entertain a 7 year old.

You know what, your son is only 7 once so enjoy any time you can....I am! My kids are home and so am I!!!When he is back in school in jan. plan your workouts, state them on here and execute.PS:I will be down around Sarasota end of march/beginning April so maybe we can meet up for a run/bike/run...unless you hear of a tri around there for the last weekend of march or first weekend of April,

Edited by thor67 2012-12-29 5:33 PM
2012-12-29 5:29 PM
in reply to: #4553156

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

That came out wrong Tongue out ...I don't mind it at all just saying it's time consuming....lol

I wouldn't wish it any other way

Edited by Burd 2012-12-29 5:31 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  

of 97