BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tony's Xterra & Short Course Tri Group - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2013-02-06 6:04 PM
in reply to: #4543641

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Subject: RE: Tony's Xterra & Short Course Tri Group - OPEN

Hey Sebastian! Welcome! Good group here. 

Had a 5 mile "tempo" run. I just do these at a fast pace as part of a speed workout. 5 miles in 33 min. Not bad. Tomorrow 11-13 med-long run. Hopefully the weather makes that possible.

I think this weekend is the one for my new bike. I think I'm going to buy a used fluid trainer. They're only $10-$20 more expensive than a wind/air resistance trainer.

Happy training!

- Joel

2013-02-06 9:16 PM
in reply to: #4611868

User image

New user

Just finished a nice little technique spin set, good times. Work both jobs tomorrow so it'll be a no training day, then back at it with an aerobic endurance run and strength training on friday.
2013-02-07 7:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
1-3 inches of snow turned into 8 inches so my 12 mile run had to get thrown out. I decided to try 3. It was such a nice night that I decided to go for awhile longer. Stayed out for a little over 5 miles. Had no concern for pace and just kept running. It was a very fun night to be out running!
2013-02-08 8:14 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il

Nice work guys!  Darn jobs always get in the way!! Sealed 

Had an interesting time last night.  Went to masters class for crossfit/swim.  It was pretty intense.  A great workout!  I did a hill repeat and weight training before class thinking....how bad could it be!? LOL  I was pretty drained after class.  It was fun though.  I guess this masters swim does it every first thursday of every month.  TGIRD!  (Thank God its rest day!)

2013-02-08 9:35 AM
in reply to: #4614058

User image

New user

We have about 5ft of snow on the ground here but its been warmer so some snowy runs are coming I spent lunch at the pool yesterday, my technique is seeing improvements, still looking to perfect my breathing and I need to learn to pace. I push to hard and always get tired after 50m, lol. Need to learn to go slow for distance.

Running tonight, not sure if I will do indoor or outdoor, we shall see. Gonna do 5miles at an aerobic exertion level. Still building that base. Tomorrow is a group spin class on my new bike! Woohoo! Tomorrows plan is a 1h40m spin at an aerobic level. I am in week 2 of base 1 training, things are going good but I really wish the weather would improve so my motivation doesnt keep creeping lower!

Well happy weekend everyone! Stay safe!

Sebastian 

2013-02-08 9:42 AM
in reply to: #4614259

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
seb_w - 2013-02-08 9:35 AM

We have about 5ft of snow on the ground here but its been warmer so some snowy runs are coming I spent lunch at the pool yesterday, my technique is seeing improvements, still looking to perfect my breathing and I need to learn to pace. I push to hard and always get tired after 50m, lol. Need to learn to go slow for distance.

Running tonight, not sure if I will do indoor or outdoor, we shall see. Gonna do 5miles at an aerobic exertion level. Still building that base. Tomorrow is a group spin class on my new bike! Woohoo! Tomorrows plan is a 1h40m spin at an aerobic level. I am in week 2 of base 1 training, things are going good but I really wish the weather would improve so my motivation doesnt keep creeping lower!

Well happy weekend everyone! Stay safe!

Sebastian 

pics or didn't happen!!!

put together the Rock and Roll last night before masters class in between sets while I was weight training.  This thing is pretty cool!  Can't wait for this weekend to try it out on some longer trainer rides and see if helps comfortability some!

2013-02-08 7:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Let us know what you think Brian! Hows everyone's weekend looking? Hoping it warms up a bit to actually get some outdoor riding in!
2013-02-08 8:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL

Today - 2600m in the pool. Was a good swim. Made me feel more confident.

Tomorrow - Gonna try that 18 miler outside again. 

Sunday - 40 min. spin and 30 min swim recovery. The swim usually ends up being longer.

The week's weather looks promising for training. Also...this weekend might be my weekend to get my new road bike. Been using a borrowed 80's Schwinn Traveler and looking to get a new bike. I'm keeping my eyes open for a used trainer on eBay and here so that I can get some A.M. biking in. 

Happy training!

2013-02-09 2:51 AM

User image

Master

Hey, guys!

Welcome, Sebastian!

Road ID: I don't have one, but I usually carry ID somewhere on me. Should invest in one eventually.

Week's been busy with training. Finally followed through on my plans and didn't have to do any makeup training on Friday. Was able to get in a quick 1500m in at lunch and rest.

Today (my Saturday) I rested for my sprint tri tomorrow. My goal is to improve from last year's time. Well, I'm cheating using the road bike this time though. It'd be nice to improve on the swim and run!

In the afternoon tomorrow some fellow Xterra trainees and I are taking the MTBs to the hills. Looking forward to that.

Happy training!

Edited by Blanda 2013-02-09 2:53 AM
2013-02-09 3:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL

Good luck on the sprint, Blanda!

Got my 18 miles in today. It felt good. I had no issues with tired legs or anything until I started to pick up the pace for the last 5 miles. I was holding just under 8:00min/mi then picked it up to about 7:08 for the last 5. Felt good. I'm eating for the rest of the day, getting prep work done for the week ahead, and some nice easy recovery at the gym pool/spin bikes tomorrow.

Those in Chi-town area enjoy the slight warm-up! Great running weather.

2013-02-09 5:12 PM
in reply to: #4614282

User image

New user

Meulen - 2013-02-08 8:42 AM

pics or didn't happen!!!

2013-02-10 4:39 PM
in reply to: #4615888

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
seb_w - 2013-02-09 5:12 PM
Meulen - 2013-02-08 8:42 AM

pics or didn't happen!!!

That's nice...yum.

2013-02-10 5:15 PM
in reply to: #4608329

User image

New user

Well week 2 of base 1 complete, tmrrw starts week 3. This week was really busy with my full time work as well as 3 shifts at my second job but I managed to complete all my workouts! I got two workouts at the pool, about 1 hour each and focused mainly on technique. Probably around 2500m total mileage.I was able to complete two runs on the treadmill. I ran a total of 10miles and kept it at my aerobic hr of 154bpm. Not very exciting but necessary for that aerobic base. I probably logged about 1:45 on the treadmill. I did two spin sessions, one focused on technique (about 45min) and one aerobic set (90min). Not sure about the mileage but probably not too much as keeping the hr aerobic was the main focus.I also completed an hour full body strength session and a couple crossfit workouts. I had a successful week and looking forward to repeat it this coming week. Hope everyone else is enjoying training and staying motivated. Cheers!
2013-02-11 7:38 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il

Sweet ride Sebastian!  that's one of those brands we don't see to much around here.  Love to see those different brands! 

Had a busy weekend here.  Got in a little extra training by getting up early on Saturday and going to the pool, but my basement project still sits!  Just didn't have time to get to it this weekend again.  However, I did have to set my wifes bike up on a trainer in the living room too.  I'm not sure she likes having the bikes in the living room.  So I'm hoping that will be some extra motivation to leave other things off the "honey do" list and get going on the basement!

We had a little business trip to the Chicago Auto Show this weekend.  We need to purchase a vehicle for my wifes business and the auto show is usually the best place to see all the different manufactures cars in one place.  Of course, she disagrees with whatever I like for her! LOL 

Anyway, I was still struggling with holding power numbers on bike workouts.  So we lowered my FTP 10% and worked around that.  Mentally much better for me.  It was still challenging getting in 3x40min intervals at 80% with the lower FTP, but doable.  So the 3 hours on the trainer for that didn't leave me feeling so defeated. 

2013-02-11 7:46 AM

User image

Master
I've got a cold/allergy combo. I'm miserable. Someone hold me and run my run for me.
2013-02-11 8:35 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il

As promised!   I did some thorough work on the KK R&R this weekend.  Saturday was a swim/bike with 2 hours on the KK R&R.  Basically an hour warm up and easy spin and a 4x10' set @210/220/230/250 watts per coach.  I had a talk with coach after this workout.  It didn't go so well.  I've been really struggling with my power numbers at my current FTP.  Coach says it's common to fall 10% on FTP this time of year.  So we decided to drop everything 10% for Sunday's workout.  While I don't like the fact of going backwards, this was much better mentally for me!  I don't deal well with failure, and failing all these intervals just puts me in a funk.  Backing off 10% was still challenging but doable, and left me in a much better mental place to finish the 3 hour ride I had on Sunday.  Sunday was 3x40min@ 80%.

So after the weekends rides heres my thoughts

Pro's

-  The same Kurt Kinetic quality, feel, and low sound emmission I'm used to with the road machine

-  ability to add accessories like inRide, and a 12lbs flywheel to make riding more interesting and enjoyable

-  A much easier quick release than the Road Machine

-  This thing really allows the bike to move allowing with you eliminating friction that you get from most stationary trainers.  This makes for a more comfortable and road like feel.  It really makes long hours on the trainer more comfortable and easier on your body.

Cons

-  The legs are really wide so you need a little more space than normal trainers

-  It takes a little getting used to the movement at first and the bouncing up and down as well as the ability to rock back and forth.  It helps to have a turn table front wheel stand because you will turn the bars some while rocking back and forth

Overall, this was a good purchase for me.  I found a 12lbs flywheel on sale Friday and ordered it up to see how that is.  It's supposed to give a smoother more road like feel and more of realistic coasting/spin dow time.  I may try the inRide system for power later.  But, I'm fine using my Powertap right now.  Maybe, the wife will get the inRide system to use power!

2013-02-11 5:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL

That R&R sure looks cool in the videos. I'm glad it performs well too. Still waiting for the right deal until I pull the trigger on a trainer in general. Almost went for it over the weekend, but hesitated. Oh well...

Sebastian - Sounds like you've got it together up there. Keep it up! 

Today was a speed day. I was hoping to get on the track for awhile today, but it was under a bunch of snow still. I was hoping that the warmer temps the past 3 days and rain all day yesterday would have melted it down enough, but no luck. So I did a 6.2 mi fast run instead. Route is barely over 10k. Out and back too so it's easy to get a 5k pace time. Plan was to go just fast enough that it was uncomfortable on the way out and then fast but comfortable on the way back. Out: 19:59. Probably could have held that pace on the way back, but I didn't want to kill my legs. Back: 21:45. Felt faster...hmmm...I'll have to check those times again. Anyway...tomorrow is a rest day, but I'll have some extra time due to a training I have, so I'll probably squeeze in an EASY 3-4 miles. 

Happy training everyone!

2013-02-12 7:51 AM
in reply to: #4618104

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
The Chupacabra - 2013-02-11 5:48 PM

That R&R sure looks cool in the videos. I'm glad it performs well too. Still waiting for the right deal until I pull the trigger on a trainer in general. Almost went for it over the weekend, but hesitated. Oh well...

Today was a speed day. I was hoping to get on the track for awhile today, but it was under a bunch of snow still. I was hoping that the warmer temps the past 3 days and rain all day yesterday would have melted it down enough, but no luck. So I did a 6.2 mi fast run instead. Route is barely over 10k. Out and back too so it's easy to get a 5k pace time. Plan was to go just fast enough that it was uncomfortable on the way out and then fast but comfortable on the way back. Out: 19:59. Probably could have held that pace on the way back, but I didn't want to kill my legs. Back: 21:45. Felt faster...hmmm...I'll have to check those times again. Anyway...tomorrow is a rest day, but I'll have some extra time due to a training I have, so I'll probably squeeze in an EASY 3-4 miles. 

Happy training everyone!

what price are you looking for?  I've seen them as low as $400 slightly used from Trisports.  I paid a little more for mine, but you could get close to that for new.  I found the 12lbs flywheel for $65 last week shipped so I picked that up too.

Pretty high volume month for me.  I'm trying to make this week my highest of the year so far.  Hoping I can stay with it mentally/physically/and with my schedule.  Everything else seems to have fallen during this month too personally, so it's been tough!  Masters swim tonight, and going to try to fit in a weight training session.

Happy training!

2013-02-12 9:51 PM
in reply to: #4618654

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Meulen - 2013-02-12 7:51 AM
The Chupacabra - 2013-02-11 5:48 PM

Happy training everyone!

what price are you looking for?  I've seen them as low as $400 slightly used from Trisports.  I paid a little more for mine, but you could get close to that for new.  I found the 12lbs flywheel for $65 last week shipped so I picked that up too.

Pretty high volume month for me.  I'm trying to make this week my highest of the year so far.  Hoping I can stay with it mentally/physically/and with my schedule.  Everything else seems to have fallen during this month too personally, so it's been tough!  Masters swim tonight, and going to try to fit in a weight training session.

Happy training!

Probably won't get the R&R at this point (as cool as it is). I'm just looking for a more basic one to get the job done for now. I'm getting a road bike soon (I've been saying that for awhile and just keep putting it off). 

Today was a rest day for me. Lots of other things to do. Tomorrow is a big day with A.M. run and P.M. big swim. Happy training all!

2013-02-14 6:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL

Yesterday's big day was tough, but went well.

Today was a forced rest day. Life got in the way so I couldn't get my run in. That's ok. I'll get a similar one in tomorrow. Then, long run on Saturday!

Keep it up everyone!

2013-02-14 11:38 PM
in reply to: #4622954

User image

New user

Last couple days have been great! Wednesday morning I did strength training, full body weight lifting workout. Then after work I did  a bike run brick, kept it aerobic and foused on good form. Today I did a really good swim session, worked on my technique drills and also some endurance building. One of the best swim workouts I have had! Looking forward to another training day tomorrow, it'll be a long run day Then spin on Saturday morning and I will probably hit the pool Sunday. 

2013-02-15 9:21 AM
in reply to: #4623204

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il

seb_w - 2013-02-14 11:38 PM Last couple days have been great! Wednesday morning I did strength training, full body weight lifting workout. Then after work I did  a bike run brick, kept it aerobic and foused on good form. Today I did a really good swim session, worked on my technique drills and also some endurance building. One of the best swim workouts I have had! Looking forward to another training day tomorrow, it'll be a long run day Then spin on Saturday morning and I will probably hit the pool Sunday. 

Good work Seb!  I've got a good week going.  Feeling sore, but moving forward.  Got a rest day today and another couple big days over the weekend should get me near 16 hours for the week.

2013-02-15 9:40 AM
in reply to: #4623543

User image

New user

16 hours of training, that's a solid week! Keep it up brother!
2013-02-15 6:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois

Happy Friday!  How's everyone's week go?  Any big plans for the weekend? 

It's a 3 day weekend for some of us here in the States so hopefully get some solid training in, except its COLD! 

2013-02-16 2:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Past week was ok. Missed a run due to life. I really need to get my mid-week pace run in this week. I usually do my long runs on Saturdays, but it was too cold today, so I put it off a day. I'll be doing it tomorrow. I did an easy 5 miles today in prep for tomorrow's long run. This coming week is another build before backing off the following week. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tony's Xterra & Short Course Tri Group - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 16