BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2013-01-05 8:35 AM
in reply to: #4563185

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed.
medeiros13 - 2013-01-05 6:06 AM

Edit: I just finished my swim and today the reality that I'm dreadfully slow just hit me in the face.  I found the following program http://ruthkazez.com/SwimWorkouts/ZeroTo1mile.html and decided to stick with it for 6 weeks.  Its the first time I've ever used anything structured when it comes to swimming and boy it makes a big difference.  I wouldn't think that 700 yards would be that difficult but I found out I was taking longer breaks between my sets than 12/8/4 breaths for sure!  My pace per 100 yds was 2:33 which is about 45 seconds slower than most times I see posted by others.  It is depressing but I do have to remind myself that I just learned how to swim 9 months ago!

I did this same workout.  It's great.  I am sure others will tell you this as well, but speed isn't a concern at this point.  Just getting the distance and the endurance is going to be key.  Speed will come.  I am not fast by any stretch of the imagination.  

I am just back from my Saturday morning run.  It was so much fun.  Incredible challenging.  

Edited by kmatt318 2013-01-05 8:48 AM

2013-01-05 10:31 AM
in reply to: #4544229

User image

Yang Min Shan, T'ai-pei

Hey All,  Happy New Year!  Now that the holiday season is over I thought I would get more involved in the group.  Well, I have a little less than 60 days to my race in Abu Dhabi and it it starting to sink in that I don't know what the hell I am doing!  First of all, I live in Qatar, the heart of the Middle East.  Living here makes training outside difficult for about nine months a year.  In March we start to creep to around 100 degrees and then the heat ramps up to 125 in August.  That, coupled with the ongoing security concerns, makes one seriously question training outside.  One of my major concerns is that i have been training for the past 4 or 5 months inside on a treadmill and lifecycle.  The good news is that I will start riding outside next week.

For the past 5 months I have been logging my training but I have been running consistently since April.  I have been attempting a 5/3/3 schedule, with an off day every few weeks or whenever I feel I need one.  I purchased a gold plan with the intention of staring a training plan 4 months before my race but never got it going.  I guess part of the reason is that I am doing the sprint distance, but with a 50 KM bike leg.  I was not sure how to incorporate the longer bike distance into the training so I just started bumping up my time time/distance one day a week.    

I have very limited race experience.  I ran a 10 miler in 2009 and a couple of 5Ks throughout the years.  I seem to suffer some type of injury any time i get my average weekly running miles above 25 or 30/week.  

If someone can take a look at my log and make some suggestions on how to plan for my race on March 2, this novice will appreciate it.  Thanks for the words of wisdom!

2013-01-05 12:52 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Hey all, looks like some good stuff happening this weekend!  I'm back from my long run, which went reasonably well.  I've realized though that I'm really bad about making a lot of stops on these longer runs.  Some are necessary and some not so much.  Today's included one long stop early on due to a low blood sugar (49) - necessary.  But stops also included petting a dog, and even petting a horse - umm...yeah, not necessary, but I rather enjoyed them.

Kate, glad to hear you are feeling good while bumping the miles up!

Steve, thanks for the nutrition info.  Wow, 600 calories is a lot!  Only managed about 200 on my 18 miler today .  Hammer gels went down pretty well, so a win there.  Yes, definitely time for a new doc for you.  Frustrating to be treated like that. Yes, serenity now!

Neal, I'm sorry, but your "big boy needs a snack" comment just cracked me up!  Hey, if we can't laugh at ourselves, we are in trouble, right?

Fred, glad you are finding the crunch challenge helpful.  No way would I have done mine today after a long run were it not for the accounability of the challenge.  Yep, wetsuit strippers vs. stomping on the suit...wetsuit strippers win!

Jay, I did that zero to 1 mile swim plan as well.  Didn't make me fast, but made me more confident.

Pam, LOL, technology is your friend .

Ken, very nice progression on your run today (looked at your log).  Wish I was that fast...could get a lot more done instead of running all day.

Tom, wow I really admire you for training in such a brutal climate!  I can't imagine it being that hot for that much of the year.  I'm sure Steve will have some good input on your training.

2013-01-05 2:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Made my 20 miler!  Stretches, drove home, feet in the cold pool for 10 mins, more stretches, recovery meal.  Now I'm going to go take a long, hot bath and do those fun chores like grocery shopping and cooking.  Check in again soon and will read everyone's posts.
2013-01-05 3:36 PM

User image

Veteran

What a great and very active group this year. I will have a hard time keeping up with posting, but I read every day to see how everyone is doing. Just to reiterate my thoughts on questions that have already been answered in various ways. Aero bars are best used for the entire ride; however, it has taken me a few months to get my shoulders to stop complaining. And, even though I was fit for my bike I still took it back in after a couple months and had additional adjust made. My 36mile ride the other day was the least amount of pain yet. So keep at it. Wetsuit strippers are awesome if your race has them. I have never heard of a wetsuit getting ripped - I was a wetsuit stripper for an IM and I was thankful the racers did not have to do it themselves. But coming out of Lake Coeur D Alene many are very cold to mild hypothermia and their hands don't work so good. Body glide is awesome anti-chafing, and gals, you don't need the female version. My experience was it cost more for less with the same ingredients. For your running shoes Yankz are the best laces to use, in my opinion.

Carol - I love the miles you are putting in for running! Your progress and dedication is going to make for a great mary. I would say you should consider Infinit for your running fuel. Since you already carrry an amphipod you are set up. I started using it a couple weeks ago on my longs and am really enjoying it. So smooth and NO chewing. Plus I really like the sweet/salt combo taste of the lemom-lime flavor. And there is rarely a run that doesn't include dog petting for me too.

Fred - Thanks! It was a great year for me considering I didn't pick my training up from October 2011 to April 2012. I love celebrating 30 degree

Jay - hope that new plan works for you. And I started out swimming 3min/100 and now I'm right around 2:15/100. Time and working on technique make a huge difference. BT has great beginner swimming videos for drills and technique and that is what I have used.

Pam - I have yet to get a picture posted in this forum Great run too! My longest to date is 14.

Tom - that sounds incredibly challenging. That heat is killer. I appreciate your choice to pursue it none-the-less.

Work schedule changed again, but now I'm on Mon-Fri 7-3. Couldn't have planned it better for myself; very thankful! Been focusing on long stuff this last week to get my body ready to start building. Quads are unhappy about 10+ miles, but just getting it done makes me happy and they are remembering all the work we've done in the past.

Steve - sorry about the doc appointment being less than helpful. Definitely praying your next one will help you move forward. In the meantime, I hope your training continues to have successes even if they are small ones.

Happy weekend!

2013-01-05 4:03 PM

User image

Veteran

Steve - these are the numbers for my peak build week the BT plan set up for me.

S:  
11300.00 Yd
4h 12m
B: 
212.80 Mi
14h 40m
R:  
39.70 Mi
8h 00m

So my longest bike is 112, Run is 12.5 and swim is 4700. Swim seems good, but bike and run seem pretty slim. What would you say my numbers should be at this point, then I can build backwards to build up to my peak.

2013-01-05 5:14 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Tom, if the race were tomorrow you would do fine.  You have pleanty of time to fine tune your training between now and then.  Your bike looks great (although you might find a difference in pacing outside) your swim is not fast, but you have plenty of endurance to get you through your swim portion with pleanty in the tank for the rest of the race.  Your run is sufficient today, but I would want to add another run per week and move your long run up to 6 miles or possibly 1 or 2 7s before race day.  You can just add a 3 mile brick after your long bike ride for the week and inch one of your longer runs up a bit and you will be golden.  You are not really worried about speed for a first race.  Your bike will be strong, your swim and run will be ok, but you have the fitness to complete it with a smile on your face.  As I said just some fine tunning between now and then.

Carol you did 18 miles in 3 hours so ideally that would be 400 calories, but you have to monitor things closer than others.  You can get by with less than perfect nutrition for a marathon as it is an um er shorter race.  Not so much for HIM or IM. 

Samantha, if you can hit 3 bike rides over 100 (preferably 1 at 100, 1 at 110, 1 at 112-115) you should be fine with a weekly total around 220 or so during your big build.  Swim 4700 is fine, if your body is holding up a total of 2-3 swims at 5000 would be ideal in your final build.  Run on the other hand is significantly less than I would feel comfortable going into an IM with.  I would really like to see you hit 3x18 long runs with 4x 16 in the weeks leading up to that  and 2x 17 inbetween the 16s and17s with weekly totals up around 45 miles in your final 2 buid cycles.  I do a long of 17 for HIMs and long of 18 for IMs.  For a first HIM I only recommend longs of 15 though.  Only doing longs of 12 will guarantee you will be walking much of your marathon. 

A few minor points.  Wetsuit strippers are fast and efficient, I have never heard of them ripping a wetsuit.  The key is getting the wetsuit just below your but and then rolling back far enough that your but is off the ground, they will grab your hand as you roll forward and hand you your wetsuit.  I would guest .5 to 1 second total.  It will take me 60 seconds to 2 minutes to get it off myself. 

For the plastic bags yes over your feet or hands first, then put your foot through the leg of the wetsuit.. then pull the plastic bag off your foot through the opening.  It is slick enough that you can just pull it out easily. 

And yes bodyglide is a lubricant like a deadorant looking thing.  You must put it around your waiste and under your arms for longer races.  I put it on my neck wrist and ankles for wetsuit removal ease and chafing on the swim.  For longer races I put some where the zipper hits your neck from the tri top and yes on the nipples.  If you find that you have nipples sensitive to friction, you can use those little bullseye bandaids.  Triathlon and modesty..not always going together here.  People have frictioned their nipples to the point of blood staining all the way down the front of their shirt.. not good.  For myself I use a little bodyglide there for any run over 13 miles.  Don't bodyglide your feet for the race, socks provide friction between skin and sock and slide between sock and shoe.  If your foot slides in the sock you hit your toes against the front of the shoe box and get black tonails.  Yes your feet will swell for IM/marath/ultra runs.  I mentioned earlier, do not lace too tight or you can actually bruise the tendon sheeth and this will make the top of your foot sore for months.  Ask how I know.. .nm pretty obvious.  I did this before Boston (In march) and was still wearing that shoe supper loose lace wise for the IM at the end of July.   

I wanted a larger group this time, but if I miss something send me a message or just remind me again in chat here. 

As for me I am back on the bike and will see how that goes a couple 15 mile rides this weekend and will start back up in the pool with breaststroke until the shoulder is better.  The stretches and muscle building in the shoulder are um not pleasant, but we will see how it goes.  I am also on Ibuprophin 2pils twice a day to decrease inflamation.  For runs I am dropping to a walk jog program until everything settles down there, mostly walk.  It will all work out, no worries.   

Edited by Baowolf 2013-01-05 5:39 PM
2013-01-05 8:00 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia

Hi All,

Enjoying a few very nice days of weather down here in Florida.  Getting some running and/or biking in each day.  Two more days and then 17 hour drive back home (ugggh).  Now I just have to figure out how to spend 3 months down here (with my bike) and I could get some serious training in... hahaha.

Pam/Pink - 20 miles... Carol/Squirt - 18...  woohoo!  Those are some impressive runs!!  WTG!

Steve, if you're having knee issues, be careful with the breastroke kick.  When my knee was giving me problems a few years back I had to call off the whip kick.  Probably depends on the particular knee issue, though.

John, have you done Culpeper or any of the Lake Anna races?  If you plan to do any of those, let me know.  It would be fun to meet up - usually a few BTers at those races.

Have a great Sunday, everyone... going for a bike ride with a friend in the morning.  Sadly, my Dad's old beach bike's cables bit the dust since the last visit, so will be riding my wife's old mountain bike with seat raised a bunch.  Should be quite the look / fit :-)

Stu

2013-01-05 8:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts

Ken/Carol/Samantha: Thanks for the input on swimming and the program I found!  Its good to see that a few others have tried this.  I'm using the program to push what I do swimwise; I know I can swim some okay distances (did a half mile in August and I'm a better swimmer and in better shape now) but I need to push to get my swimming to the next level so to speak.  My slowness was disappointing but expected; I hope to improve as my conditioning in the swim improves.  Everything that I've read says that swimming is a skill.

Steve, bummer on the shoulder.  When you use the BS, do you whip kick or frog kick?  Just curious.

Confession time....I stepped on the scale a few days ago and found out I gained 8 pounds from the holidays.  I could tell by the way my work uniform was fitting me but it wasn't a good number.  I'm back on track diet wise and using MyFitnessPal to track calories.....I'm thinking about linking it to my sig but I don't think you'll be able to see it anyway.  Good night all....probably won't be back until Monday.

2013-01-05 8:51 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Ya the knee is on the outside not inside, gona just see how it goes.  A lot of it is just listening to my body at this point.  I got enough info from the doctor to know what I can and can't do regarding the shoulder.  So in that sense it was worth the trip. As long as he was right on that....
2013-01-06 9:08 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Samantha, congrats on the 36 mile ride w/ less pain.  Thanks for the thumbs up on infinit.  Will look into that one as well.  Yay on the 7 to 3 schedule!  That should let you take advantage of the warmth of the afternoon...when there is some that is.  And I love seeing you able to share your knowledge with others as an experienced triathete.  So cool to see the progression.  LOL on the dog petting; glad I'm not the only one!

Pam, woohooo on your 20 miler + chores!!!  Sometimes it's amazing the energy that still remains after a long run.  And sometimes not .  How are your feet feeling?

Steve, glad you can get on your bike.  I hope you can find some silver linings in the walk/run.  Hey, you can pet whatever dogs or horses you see!  I hear you on not trusting the doctor.  Some are great, and some well...they can write prescriptions.  My endocrinologist is kinda the latter.  Just doesn't get my active lifestyle at all, but maybe I expect too much in that regard since she mostly sees folks who don't embrace that.

Stu, way to get those bike rides and runs in on vacation!  So easy to hug the beach chair a bit too much, but it can be so refreshing to explore other places on foot or pedals.

Jay, what is it they say about admitting the problem being the first step?  I feel you on this one...am 9 lbs above where I was when I felt my best.  But after refocusing on the intake, I'm down 2, so chipping away at it. 

Rest day today, but plan to do a very easy spin on the trainer (and entice my sweet hubby to do same) and a little core/strength/stretch.  Gotta get those crunches in .

2013-01-06 3:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Nice 35 mile ride this morning.  Was able to get my ride in before the rain.  Now chores and football.  
2013-01-06 3:50 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I view working on the rotator cuff like fixing a tangled slinky, but more painful.  Basically you pull the muscles out of the way of where they shouldn't be. And then strengthen the greatest area of weakenss in the muscle.  So that movement that hurts the most, you put resistance on that... so much fun.  Pool taking a bit to heat up it was down to 60 and I didn't want to do race simulation.
2013-01-06 6:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

Steve, I have another question.  Unfortunately I do not have a "recovery" stroke.  Like a breast stroke of back stroke.  Should that be high on my priority list for preparing for my longer swims?  

2013-01-06 6:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

Wow, everyone has been busy this weekend!  Great job to everyone.

Steve, so sorry that the news from the doctor wasn't better.  I can tell that all the rehab is painful but you seem to be facing it really well.  Good luck on it.  Enjoy the biking and I agree with you on waiting for the water to warm up some.

Stu, have fun on vacation.  Glad you are enjoying the Fl weather.  Have fun on your strangely fit mountain bike tomorrow.  Hope the weather is nice for your return trip.

Tom, wow that is horrible heat!  I admire you for training in that.

Kate, so glad that the run build is working so well for you and that you are feeling good.

Samantha, love hearing about your IM training.  Must admit that my brain can't grasp it but I completely admire you.  Thanks for letting me live vicariously thru your experience.  This is a fun ride.

Jay, thanks for the link.  I need to work on some structure to my swimming.

Carol, sure wish you and I were lived close.  You would be an fun, incredible training partner.

Today was a rest day for me.  We went to early church and the bloodmobile was there.  So I gave blood and of course, you aren't supposed to do much for 24 hrS.  Did my crunches tho.  Also joined the Plank A Day challenge on the challenge forum so did some planks.  The feet are feeling good - not perfect, but not hobbling, so I'm happy with that.

Edited by Pink Socks 2013-01-06 6:28 PM
2013-01-06 7:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts

I am surprised more people didn't call out sick to watch the football game this afternoon so I took advantage and got in a swim session after work.  I felt much better today than I did yesterday with the workout; I think I shocked my poor body yesterday by having designated rest times!

Ken...my .02 on a recovery stroke.  My wife taught me how to do the side stroke and I have to tell you I found it pretty helpful last year.  What I like about it is that its easy and because you're on your side, you can still sight buoys.

Carol, thanks for the companionship on the bad eating.  I'll find out on Tuesday morning how I did this week.  I am certainly back on track nutrition wise and as I stated in my initial application if you will....I have about 30lbs to lose to be at my peak. (my opinion of course!)

Pam, I'm glad that the link may help you out!  Two sessions into something more structured and I already feel more confident about my swim endurance....I knew it was there but I never pushed too much until this program (because of the designated rest times)

2013-01-06 9:52 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Ken, that depends on how strong your freestyle is.  If you can rock 2.5 miles no worries.  If you are anxious about swimming and not really sure you can swim well in cold water with chop, then it is good to have a fall back stroke like breaststroke or backstroke.  For me breststroke is it. I can go 6 weeks without any swimming and drop in and do 2 miles bresstroke.  If I ever get a bad mouthful, lose my goggles or get smacked in the face I would fall back on breaststroke until I got my bearings.

Tom, besides working out in the early morning, what are your strategies for working out in the heat? When I race in the heat (for me that is 90 to 100F) my fluid intake doubles and if running long distance like in a race keeping my clothes wet is a priority.  I have done 3 IMs in 96F and have been wet, like soggy shoes wet the entire way. Electrolytes will also be a huge need.

Edited by Baowolf 2013-01-06 9:57 PM
2013-01-07 5:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

Carol, I'm 7 for 7 on the 30-a-day crunches.  Question: do we end in March or add 30 more in April?

Glad ya'll are talking about recovery strokes.  Unfortunately backstroke is my recovery stroke and that is a horrible one to pick because of sighting.  I think I'll start working on my side stroke because I can usually keep up with that - not as long as a backstroke but better than my breaststroke.

Edited by Pink Socks 2013-01-07 5:55 AM
2013-01-07 7:33 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Whats all this talk about other strokes? You mean folks do things other than the crawl? . I'm a terrible backstroker/breaststroke swimmer, and I've never tried doing fly. I don't think I will either. I'm still working on flip turns. Did have a nice swim this AM, putting up 2250 yards. Felt fast, which was nice. Tough getting out of bed, though.

Steve -- hope all goes well with the shoulder. I had a slight rotator cuff tear years ago as a result of playing rugby, and recovery wasn't fun. The slinkly thought is a good one.

Fun kids tri story -- my 9 year old daughter raced in the New England Kids tri last summer. She had fun, and will be doing it again this year (maybe her older sister, too!). Anyway, we were out last night at a high school basketball game, and a couple of her classmates were asking her about it, when it was, when, etc. She seemed very happy to tell them about it, and I think she may have recruited  couple new potential tri-kids.

2013-01-07 11:45 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Breaststroke is actually my preferred stroke (did a continuous 1500 yards in 31 minutes lastnight).  Which is a good thing since I can now do it without involving the damaged rotator cuff muscles.  It is also good for sighting.  If you are doing the crawl in high waves and need to take as stroke or two to get your bearings, get back on a good course and then hit the crawl again.  Neither back nor sidesroke would work well for me with the right shoulder invovled.  I may end up doing the breaststroke for my races this year depending on how the shoulder rehabs.  My favorite stretch is you put your hand on the top of a door near the hinges, hold on and sag your weight so that it puts pressure on pulling your shoulder joint appart a tiny bit.  The downside of the breaststroke is that it really sucks when you have 2500 people all squished together.  Breaststrokers are looked down on because they smack people in the face and ribs with their feet from the kick in the salmon spawning swim for the first turnaround in an IM.   
2013-01-07 11:49 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

OK crunchers, how did it go for you in the first week?  You can cut and paste the chart below and add your updates.  Biggest benefit I'm finding so far is that doing this gets me down on the floor to do other stuff that I need to do...stretch, foam roller, etc. 

Pam, good question.  The running club challenge I copied continues to add 15 daily crunches each month for the rest of the year (or until we all cry uncle I guess .  I'm game to continue it beyond March if you are!

Crunch Challenge Update 1/7/13:

Fred --

Pam -- 7 out of 7

Anthony --

Carol -- 7 out of 7

2013-01-07 12:16 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Ken, nice ride before the rain and the football.  I'm really glad you asked the question about a recovery stroke.  I really have no idea how to do a proper breaststroke.  Have tried a litte, but it feels like it's all a bobbing up and down motion (AKA drowning) and not forward.  Not relaxing at all!

Steve, OUCH on the rehab exercises.  I'm betting you will devote yourself to them like you do other things though, and come through it very well.  Don't think I say thank you enough for all your help.  Even after a couple of years in your group, it means a lot to be able to come here, ask quetions, and get honest, sound advice.  Thank you!

Pam, yes, I wish we lived closer too!  I think we could have some good times running together.  I do have a step-uncle who lives in Tallahassee, so hmmm....maybe I should pay him a visit.  Glad your feet are happy!  Good job on the blood donation, and getting the cruches in too .  You are going to have an awesome core with a plank challenge and a cruch challenge!

Jay, great job on reducing the rest times between pool sets.  Sounds like you are on a really good path to get stronger and leaner!

Mike, awesome job on the 2,250 yards.  Just getting up early and in the pool is a win, but put a great workout on top of that...great way to start your day.  Ha, and your daughter is a tri-carrier.  Love that!

Juggling my run week around a bit due to predicted rain, and 15K on Saturday.  Long run is only 13 this week, and got that out of the way this morning.  Only one day out from my 18 miler, but with rain predicted the next couple days, I did not want to wind up running 104 laps on the indoor track!  Still have interval day ahead, and think I can tolerate the track a little better for that.

Happy Monday to all!

2013-01-07 1:32 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Weather will be warm around here the next few days (high 40's) so I'm looking forward to some good early AM runs. Was cold yesterday, but this should be a better week.  I get to try out my new running headlight tomorrow, too! Santa brough me a Black Diamond something-or-other headlamp which is great since I'm out super early to run (4:15 AM or so).

Almost didn't make the pool this AM as the covers on my bed were particularly heavy and difficult to move ;^). Glad I did though. I really need to work on my run & bike, though.

One thing I'm really looking forward to at the end of this season is a nice week long family vacation we're taking on a carribean cruise (6 days after my last HIM). Found out last night the ship has a 5k race at one of the stops, so that should be fun.

2013-01-07 2:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Murrieta Calif.

Happy Holidays everyone!! I haven't posted in a few weeks but I've been trying to stay up on everyone's training! I actually slipped on a run a couple weeks ago and jacked my knee up but my chiropractor has me almost back to normal (Yes, chiropractors have chiropractors!)!

My first big race of the year is going to be Wildflower! Anyone else doing it? Steve?

I'm a little nervous about it with my knee, but it is 12 weeks out so I should have plenty of time.

Steve, I know I said I wasn't planning on doing Vineman, however, I again have several friends going up to do it based upon my recommendation and of course they want me to go up to do it with them! I have 8 months to be ready, what do you think?

2013-01-07 2:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Steve, I asked about your breaststroke previously but it may have gotten lost due to the activity of the forum (not a bad thing!)  What is your prefered kick for BS, frog or whip?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed. Rss Feed  

of 52