BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2013-05-26 9:08 PM
in reply to: #4757148

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!
Ha! I guess I should have added that we repeated the 2r-1w a few times for 2.27 miles.

2013-05-27 7:46 AM
in reply to: rustymom

User image

Middle Tennessee
Good Morning Beasties!
Just a quick driveby to say hello, and WOW at the good training everyone is getting done. This week is my first recovery week in the Ironman training plan. Couldn't have come at a better time, because 1) I'M TIRED! and 2) two of our therapists are on vacation this week so my patient load is insane this week. This coming Saturday is the MachTenn Super Sprint Triathlon and I am SO ready to race! Gotta run and get to work, hope everyone has a great week!
2013-05-27 4:20 PM
in reply to: shadow67

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Happy Memorial Day, everyone!! Thanks to all those who have served and are currently serving in our military!!

I had a great race earlier today... I PR'd my 5K with a 27:47! I'm starting to think that those track workouts and speed work may be finally paying off!!

And the weather cleared up today after several days of cold rain - it was a beautiful day - 70 degrees, sunny with a light breeze and no humidity... Ahhhhh. It really does feel like the unofficial start of summer!

Hope you all had a nice holiday weekend!! Back to the grind tomorrow...
2013-05-27 5:47 PM
in reply to: kpringle

User image

New user
Originally posted by kpringle

Happy Memorial Day, everyone!! Thanks to all those who have served and are currently serving in our military!!

I had a great race earlier today... I PR'd my 5K with a 27:47! I'm starting to think that those track workouts and speed work may be finally paying off!!

And the weather cleared up today after several days of cold rain - it was a beautiful day - 70 degrees, sunny with a light breeze and no humidity... Ahhhhh. It really does feel like the unofficial start of summer!

congratulations on your PR Kristen!
2013-05-28 4:21 AM
in reply to: oldSAP

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
You GO, Kristen, yes, your hard work is paying off!!  Next goal, break 25 minutes!!!
2013-05-28 6:52 AM

User image

Northern Ontario (near Lake Superior)
Originally posted by kpringle

Way to go. Feels great hitting a PR.

2013-05-28 8:25 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Originally posted by kpringle Happy Memorial Day, everyone!! Thanks to all those who have served and are currently serving in our military!! I had a great race earlier today... I PR'd my 5K with a 27:47! I'm starting to think that those track workouts and speed work may be finally paying off!! And the weather cleared up today after several days of cold rain - it was a beautiful day - 70 degrees, sunny with a light breeze and no humidity... Ahhhhh. It really does feel like the unofficial start of summer! Hope you all had a nice holiday weekend!! Back to the grind tomorrow...

Great job Kristen!  Congrats on the PR!

2013-05-28 12:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Originally posted by kpringle Happy Memorial Day, everyone!! Thanks to all those who have served and are currently serving in our military!! I had a great race earlier today... I PR'd my 5K with a 27:47! I'm starting to think that those track workouts and speed work may be finally paying off!! And the weather cleared up today after several days of cold rain - it was a beautiful day - 70 degrees, sunny with a light breeze and no humidity... Ahhhhh. It really does feel like the unofficial start of summer! Hope you all had a nice holiday weekend!! Back to the grind tomorrow...

Great job on your race- excellent time and way to PR! Sounds like you had the perfect weather for your race!

2013-05-28 1:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Originally posted by rustymom I had my first run (run 2min/walk 1min) with a dog today. Our dog that we got in mid-April, Misty, did great. She trotted along beside me and didnt cross in front or speed up or slow down. It was great! Only one pit stop (and it wasnt on anyones lawn, so I left it). One person out walking that she wanted to greet and some bunnies got her interest a bit, but no problem keeping focussed for the mosy part.

Good for you Andrea!! Are you doing C25K? That is what I started with.

2013-05-28 3:13 PM
in reply to: Meljoypip

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by Meljoypip

Originally posted by rustymom I had my first run (run 2min/walk 1min) with a dog today. Our dog that we got in mid-April, Misty, did great. She trotted along beside me and didnt cross in front or speed up or slow down. It was great! Only one pit stop (and it wasnt on anyones lawn, so I left it). One person out walking that she wanted to greet and some bunnies got her interest a bit, but no problem keeping focussed for the mosy part.

Good for you Andrea!! Are you doing C25K? That is what I started with.

I started running in 2010 with C25K. It is a good program. Running and I parted ways for a bit in the Fall and Winter. So to keep it enjoyable I'm using run/walk. If I could just get myself out there more often I could probably switch back to only running. I'm working on it. I like being outside this time of year so hopefully that will help.
2013-05-28 5:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Miles City, Montana
Am I the only one that discovered many days later that the BT site remodel only took a couple days and not a week? I kept clicking on my favorites and seeing that the site was down for repairs. Finally got disgusted and started looking around on Facebook only to discover that I was just a dummy.... BT life had continued without me.

Thanks everyone for checking in on me with inspires. I spent last Wednesday in surgery getting my appendix out. The gross version of the story is not pretty - it involves appendix, cysts, fallopian tube (isn't that a funny word?!), ovary and colon - that's enough to give you the idea. One big yucky mess if the surgical pictures are any indication. I was in the hospital for 2 days and then recovering at home until today - my first day back in the land of the living. I hate anesthesia and it is surprising to me how weak I got without being sick that long. I was sick less than 12 hours before I had the surgery.

Suffice it to say that I have not logged anything other than a little walking around my yard to move the air through my cavity. (Yes, I did say that!) My training plan is now shot to heck too. I am not sure when I will get back at S/B/R training. For now, I want to get to the point of standing up straight. My doc said no training for at least 2 weeks. ARGHHHH....

I will be watching you all though ....

Janette

2013-05-28 5:51 PM
in reply to: jaykayjay

User image

Originally posted by jaykayjay

Am I the only one that discovered many days later that the BT site remodel only took a couple days and not a week? I kept clicking on my favorites and seeing that the site was down for repairs. Finally got disgusted and started looking around on Facebook only to discover that I was just a dummy.... BT life had continued without me.

Thanks everyone for checking in on me with inspires. I spent last Wednesday in surgery getting my appendix out. The gross version of the story is not pretty - it involves appendix, cysts, fallopian tube (isn't that a funny word?!), ovary and colon - that's enough to give you the idea. One big yucky mess if the surgical pictures are any indication. I was in the hospital for 2 days and then recovering at home until today - my first day back in the land of the living. I hate anesthesia and it is surprising to me how weak I got without being sick that long. I was sick less than 12 hours before I had the surgery.

Suffice it to say that I have not logged anything other than a little walking around my yard to move the air through my cavity. (Yes, I did say that!) My training plan is now shot to heck too. I am not sure when I will get back at S/B/R training. For now, I want to get to the point of standing up straight. My doc said no training for at least 2 weeks. ARGHHHH....

I will be watching you all though ....

Janette

Hope you feel better soon.
2013-05-28 6:01 PM

User image

New user
get well soon Janette.
2013-05-28 6:30 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
the pool i've been swimming has always been poorly maintained. i've tried swimming in open water, which is just beside the pool facility, but got stung by jelly fish (got 2 - 8 inch long scars to prove it) so i've been avoiding it ever since. any tips on going back to OWS while minimizing the risk of getting stung? i do have skins i could use but my face still won't be safe.

Edited by oldSAP 2013-05-28 6:30 PM
2013-05-28 6:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH
Nice job Kristen! Glad the weather cleared out for you. Sunshine and a P.R. make for one Happy Memorial Day!

Janette, glad you are on the mend! If Hilde's any indication, two weeks off shouldn't be an insurmountable obstacle. I hope things heal quickly for you!
2013-05-28 8:29 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Janette, sorry to hear about your surgery! That must have been so scary. I hope you have a smooth recovery... Sending good vibes your way, my beastie friend!!

2013-05-28 9:48 PM

User image

Originally posted by oldSAP

the pool i've been swimming has always been poorly maintained. i've tried swimming in open water, which is just beside the pool facility, but got stung by jelly fish (got 2 - 8 inch long scars to prove it) so i've been avoiding it ever since. any tips on going back to OWS while minimizing the risk of getting stung? i do have skins i could use but my face still won't be safe.

Wish I could offer some advice but we don't have jelly fish concerns up here . My wife did get stung my a blue bottle while we were in Australia years ago. Man it looked painful. I stupidly touched a tentacle and got a little sting on my hand. On a side note the Xtenex laces seemed pretty good on the treadmill tonight. Not to loose or tight. I will try them on the next outside run.
2013-05-29 12:00 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Originally posted by Jigger

Originally posted by oldSAP

Wish I could offer some advice but we don't have jelly fish concerns up here . My wife did get stung my a blue bottle while we were in Australia years ago. Man it looked painful. I stupidly touched a tentacle and got a little sting on my hand. On a side note the Xtenex laces seemed pretty good on the treadmill tonight. Not to loose or tight. I will try them on the next outside run.

it is very painful. it felt like a red hot steel rod searing into my skin. but the worse part is after a few days when it gets all itchy.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Edited by oldSAP 2013-05-29 12:01 AM
2013-05-29 6:12 AM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Damn, Janette... I KNEW something wasn't right... surgery sucks, and you didn't have time to "look forward" to it!  Sounds like you had some major surgery, meaning they went into your abdomen and had themselves a little picnic, so that "2 weeks", yeah, probably crap, more like you'll be able to start walking then, I wouldn't count on SBR.  Do you have stitches, staples?  You mentioned a cavity, my mom had a surgery that had to heal from the inside out, it took a LONG time.  I had almost 6 weeks off with my stupid little skin stuff, and I did lose fitness, but not ALL of it, so it wasn't like I was starting from scratch.  The doctors will be cautious and you'll probably be ready to get back at before they will release you to do it, but it won't hurt to be extra cautious and enjoy the time off.  Easier said than done from personal experience Wink

Charlie, ditto on the jellyfish comments, I swim in freshwater lakes so no experience.  Maybe post on the main forum, I've read threads about jellyfish before, but it sure doesn't sound fun!!  Ouchie!!

It was another 4 a.m. alarm that went unheeded type of morning for me... the plan was to get up and run and I went to bed plenty early... I think it's just the stress/excruciating excitement of the school year ending, just tired.  Hoped to bike this afternoon but forecast says winds to about 20 mph and possible thunderstorms, so maybe just a hot run instead....

2013-05-29 7:56 AM
in reply to: Hildebeast

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Janette!! Wow- so sorry about your surgery, well happy about the surgery, because without it you would not be training either, at all.... anyway... sorry you had to go thought this but at least you are on the other side now and things will only be getting better!!

Charlie, no advice for the jelly fish- I agree post on the main forum- but personally I don't think I am brave enough to swim with jellyfish on purpose- YIKES!

Well my 0% chance of rain for the race is now 60% chance of rain- oh well I feel ready, hip hurting or not. I feel way better (calmer) about it than last week, I am pretty sure I will be completely freaking out by Friday. Maybe not. The visualizing going through the steps, (even if I am not really sure what to visualize) really helped

2013-05-29 8:28 AM
in reply to: Meljoypip

User image

Veteran
Janette, I hope you are on the mend. That doesn't sound like much fun.

Kristen, that's a great PR. Congrats!

2013-05-29 11:11 AM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Melody, don't be afraid to ask questions when you show up at the race, I've found most triathletes are really friendly and helpful.  They won't think you're stupid, everyone had a first race!
2013-05-29 11:26 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Congrats on your PR!!  

2013-05-29 11:28 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church
There is sunscreen that helps with jelly stings.  It is called SeaSafe and you can order it online.  It does work.
2013-05-29 11:29 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Originally posted by jaykayjay Am I the only one that discovered many days later that the BT site remodel only took a couple days and not a week? I kept clicking on my favorites and seeing that the site was down for repairs. Finally got disgusted and started looking around on Facebook only to discover that I was just a dummy.... BT life had continued without me. Thanks everyone for checking in on me with inspires. I spent last Wednesday in surgery getting my appendix out. The gross version of the story is not pretty - it involves appendix, cysts, fallopian tube (isn't that a funny word?!), ovary and colon - that's enough to give you the idea. One big yucky mess if the surgical pictures are any indication. I was in the hospital for 2 days and then recovering at home until today - my first day back in the land of the living. I hate anesthesia and it is surprising to me how weak I got without being sick that long. I was sick less than 12 hours before I had the surgery. Suffice it to say that I have not logged anything other than a little walking around my yard to move the air through my cavity. (Yes, I did say that!) My training plan is now shot to heck too. I am not sure when I will get back at S/B/R training. For now, I want to get to the point of standing up straight. My doc said no training for at least 2 weeks. ARGHHHH.... I will be watching you all though .... Janette

No training for two weeks.  Are you cleared for basic movement?  Bummer.  Hope you feel better.  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 29