BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-05-09 3:32 PM
in reply to: #4734671

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED
oegan - 2013-05-09 3:20 PM
chapfallen - 2013-05-08 2:46 PM

Does anyone have any suggestions of a good couch to 5k running plan that I could point him to, to allow him to get back into running carefully?

I used the C25K app on my phone when I first started running and it did the trick. 

Speaking of running, anyone have inspirational stories about increasing speed? I have always been a slow runner (I have painful memories of being one of the last kids to finish when we had to run a mile in middle school!). I've been slowly increasing my distance, but get frustrated because I just feel so darn slow! If I let myself run fast (and by fast, I mean 9 to 10 minute miles) my heart rate goes through the roof. If I strive to keep my HR below 155, I'm running more like 12 minute miles.

I'm planning on doing a running clinic through our local store, but that's going to need to wait until the fall. I've read a bit about working tempo runs into my training, proper form etc. but if anyone has tips, I'd love to hear them. Even more so than that though, I think I need someone just to reassure me that if I keep plugging away at this I will eventually get faster! So, did that happen for you?

Megan

Thanks for the app suggestions guys.

I also use the Maffetone method for my long runs and I would highly recommend it.  I'm not fast by many people's standard, but looking at improvements, these are my half marathon results:

Sept 2011 - 2hr14min
Jan 2012 (just after I started using the Maffetone method) - 2hr5min
April 2013 - 1hr56min

The one I just did in April, not only was it significantly faster than my previous runs but the effort level was much lower and apart from the fatigue that comes from running hard for that long, I had no muscle soreness or other effects the next day and was able to continue training.  When I first started running to the Maffetone heart rate I was running 12+min/mile.  I'm still running a little over 10min/mile in my training runs, but had no problems hitting below 9min/mile for the half marathon.  I'd say that's progress.  Of course some of that just comes from the fact that I've been training consistently(ish) for over 2 years.

I'd seriously recommend HR training for long runs.  My recovery is much better than when I was running that little bit harder, and despite my training pace being slower, my race times improved significantly.  But mostly you just need to stick with it.  The most important thing is just building up the base.

2013-05-09 3:58 PM
in reply to: #4724546

seems like swimming is popular today! Finally got back to training, snuck in a 1600 swim during studying. Run planned for tomorrow, and hopefully some biking this weekend. Happy almost Friday everyone!
2013-05-09 4:42 PM

User image

New user

Sydney
oegan - 2013-05-10 1:20 AM

Speaking of running, anyone have inspirational stories about increasing speed? I have always been a slow runner (I have painful memories of being one of the last kids to finish when we had to run a mile in middle school!). I've been slowly increasing my distance, but get frustrated because I just feel so darn slow! If I let myself run fast (and by fast, I mean 9 to 10 minute miles) my heart rate goes through the roof. If I strive to keep my HR below 155, I'm running more like 12 minute miles.

Hi megan,

I've had a similar timeline to Scott, first 5km time was a bit over 33min in July last year and I've been slowly working it down since to just over 26 mins.

The program I use does a lot of track work. sometimes about sustaining, sometimes building. Intervals are really good for this. I've also heard of people using the C25K to increase speed where the intervals are run at higher speeds and the intervals jogged until you can sustain the higher speeds for the full distance.

Since I'm currently training for a marathon, I'm not too focussed on increasing my speed at this point, but my coach has said once this goal is over, if I do want to increase my pace to cut down to 10km distances and focus on knocking a few seconds off per km each time.

I hope that helps.

Em

2013-05-09 6:15 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
oegan - 2013-05-09 9:20 AM
chapfallen - 2013-05-08 2:46 PM

Does anyone have any suggestions of a good couch to 5k running plan that I could point him to, to allow him to get back into running carefully?

I used the C25K app on my phone when I first started running and it did the trick. 

I'm planning on doing a running clinic through our local store, but that's going to need to wait until the fall. I've read a bit about working tempo runs into my training, proper form etc. but if anyone has tips, I'd love to hear them. Even more so than that though, I think I need someone just to reassure me that if I keep plugging away at this I will eventually get faster! So, did that happen for you?

Megan

Megan

I started running when I was 39, 12 years ago.  I knew very little about running and would just go and run until I was too gassed and then walked.  I was slow, but wanted to improve so I could run my first marathon.  I started reading about running, a lot of different books.  In the beginning, I settled on Galloway's method.  I would run X minutes and then take a 1' walk break.  Over time, I learned to run at only a slightly uncomfortable pace knowing I had a walk break coming up.  That helped me.  I did the Chicago marathon nearly two years later using that method and finished in 5:04.  "Runners" would have scoffed at that pace, but I was elated I finished.  Flash forward to 2007 and I BQ'ed for the first time and ran Boston.  Since then I've BQ'ed 3 more times, including in March of this year which also broke my 2007 marathon PR.  None of this is meant to be bragging, but more to let you know that if you stick with it, be willing to learn about different philosophies to improve you will regardless of age.

I do also have one more piece of advice about inserting speed work into your plan too soon.  I am conservative.  I didn't do any speedwork for several years while I built up my aerobic engine and my body (muscles, tendons) to handle the rigors of training.  Nothing is worse than feeling like you are making progress only to be setback by injury.

Just my two cents!

2013-05-09 6:44 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I have been missing in action again for the last couple days but I have a pretty good excuse this time. Speaking of excuses, we are home from the hospital and doing great. My wife is still pretty sore (she had a hysterectomy for those who are wondering) but is doing much better than we expected.

I didn't train the day of her surgery (sacrifices, I know), and by my request this is a lower volume week of training, and as a result I feel pretty great. It is amazing what taking your foot off the gas for a couple days can do for your recovery

I don't know if my running progression would be inspiring or not but I have been worshipping at the altar of running consistency. I have been averaging at least 25 miles/week for years now. I know this isn't that dramatic for a pure runner but this has built some pretty good endurance which in turn has allowed me to train harder which in turn has helped me get faster....... I am now running half marathons at a faster pace than I used to run 5ks when I started all this. Running, for me, has been where I have seen the most gains from just being consistent. I think that there is just no substitute for getting out there and putting in the miles.

It is great to have so many folks participating in this group and discussing really good topics. Keep up the good work
2013-05-09 7:08 PM

User image

Thanks all for the running advice -- really useful replies, and most of all, great reassurance that if I keep putting the time in I'll see improvements. I'm going to look into some of the methods you all mentioned, but in the meantime it sounds like I can rest easy (or rather, rest only as much as necessary!) knowing that if I keep consistent with my training I will see improvements. 

Megan

2013-05-09 8:02 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Hey gang-really busy day for me so just checking back in.

Running? Jason is a model of consistency with a long streak of 100+ mile months. Consistency builds fatigue resistance and speed increases are quick to follow. I agree with being conservative with traditional speed work. Banging out hard intervals on the track when you are running 10 miles a week is a recipe for injury. I would wait until I was running 20-25 miles a week consistently for 6 months or so before doing speed work. Thwere are ways to do speed work without incorporating track work or hard intervals. Fartleks or a few sets of strides after a workout can help with increasing leg tournover and speed with little chance of injury.

A popular way to build into running is the 3-2-1 program. Referred to on www.slowtwitch.com as the BarryP plan.  Essentially you start off with a set amount of time or distance and run six times a week. WOW! Thats alot of running....but its the way the plan is structured that makes it work. For example say your base distance is 1 mile. 3 days you would run 1 mile. 2 days you would run 2 miles and 1 day you would run 3 miles. Broken down it doesn't sound like much but thats 10 miles for the week. Bump up in small increments and you will soon be hitting some nice weeks of mileage 

2013-05-10 5:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
8 mile run this morning, now off to work! Swim after work, then Sprint Tri in the morning! *phew* I've gotta find a few minutes to sit down and relax somewhere in there...
2013-05-10 8:30 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Good morning!

Six miles easy on the treadmill this morning and hopefully a swim later on if thunderstorms don't close the pool. Chance of rain tomorrow has me dreading the thought of a 3.5 hour workout on the rollers in the garage. My butt does much better on the long rides outside!

I know we have Nate and Jamie racing tomorrow. Anyone else heading to the starting line this weekend?  

2013-05-10 8:45 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Jason glad to hear your wife is doing well!

I'm over the top this morning.  Yesterday I decided to contact a swim coach and TODAY I had my first lesson (no sense wasting any time, right?)

Here are my 100 yard times:

First time I ever tested it January 2 2:05

1/22/13 1:56

3/5/13 1:52

today after warmup 1:52

today at the end of my lesson (about 45 minutes) 1:41

HOLY CRAP!

2013-05-10 8:54 AM
in reply to: #4736306

User image

Champion
mtnbikerchk - 2013-05-10 7:45 AM

I'm over the top this morning.  Yesterday I decided to contact a swim coach and TODAY I had my first lesson (no sense wasting any time, right?)

HOLY CRAP!

Impressive swim pace improvement. Nice work.

2013-05-10 8:57 AM

User image

Champion
I've had a pretty tiring week and spent far too much time in Ikea. Do you know how much money you can spend in that store? I do. BUT I LEAVE FOR KONA TOMORROW! Hanging out on Alii Drive for 3 weeks! :D
2013-05-10 9:18 AM

User image

I ran 5 miles yesterday after the swim training (which the coach wasn't there for it and there were new girls who were even slower than me. I must admit that I kinda enjoyed an easy day, even though I was a bit annoyed at the start).
Haven't managed to get out on the bike yet this week, this morning was either the bike or seeing the kids (who I hadn't seen yesterday morning or last night), so I made my choice. Will try to go out for 30min later on today.
Tomorrow I've the 14k running race
2013-05-10 9:37 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Randee-that's pretty huge improvement after one session! Does the coach have any availability this afternoon?
2013-05-10 9:41 AM
in reply to: #4736406

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

slornow - 2013-05-10 9:37 AM Randee-that's pretty huge improvement after one session! Does the coach have any availability this afternoon?

I'm sure he does! LOL but you might be a little far

This is Jeff:

http://ctheat.org/open-water-clinic-series-at-lake-terramuggus/

(and I'm going to take his open water clinic too)

2013-05-10 9:43 AM
in reply to: #4736306

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
mtnbikerchk - 2013-05-10 8:45 AM

HOLY CRAP!

BIG CONGRATULATIONS!!!  What did you do differently from the start of your lesson to the end of it?  SPILL!

2013-05-10 10:00 AM
in reply to: #4736424

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

BIG CONGRATULATIONS!!!  What did you do differently from the start of your lesson to the end of it?  SPILL!

THANKS!

We worked on 2 things: my kick off the wall being one fluid movement into my stroke (and body positioning and all that) and kicking.  He said both these things will transfer to open water swimming.....guess I'll have to wait and see!!

2013-05-10 10:14 AM
in reply to: #4736281

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
slornow - 2013-05-10 2:30 PM

Good morning!

Six miles easy on the treadmill this morning and hopefully a swim later on if thunderstorms don't close the pool. Chance of rain tomorrow has me dreading the thought of a 3.5 hour workout on the rollers in the garage. My butt does much better on the long rides outside!

I know we have Nate and Jamie racing tomorrow. Anyone else heading to the starting line this weekend?  

Just wondering if there's a general rule about people not riding in the rain?  I've seen a few of you make comments have not riding outside if it's raining.  I have to ask why not?  

At IM last year we had rain and then hail on the bike, so I was really pleased that I had plenty of experience in the wet!

2013-05-10 10:21 AM

User image

Expert

Good morning all!  Just completed a 95 min moderate paced treadmill, no sprints, just slowly increasing speed.  This has been a great week for biking as the weather over the last few days was perfect, and I had the time off work to get some decent rides.  When I ride with others, I often will do whatever distance the group is doing, even if it is more than I planned. My logs are glaringly obvious that my swim volumes are way way down.  Time to get back to the pool. 

Group (especially Stuart):  How much do you work on ankle flexibility?  I was reading some very good threads on ST about this.  Also, at my last lesson the coach kept emphasizing that my ankle flexibility is poor.  I have a weak kick as it is, but increasing ankle flexibility will significantly increase the forward propulsion.  What are your favorite ankle stretches? 

Jim

2013-05-10 10:50 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Riding in the rain-I don't have a big problem with it. Especially, if it happens once I am already out riding. But, for a long workout like tomorrow I would stay inside if its a rainy morning even though I would prefer to do the workout outside. 3.5 hours riding in the rain followed by a 4 mile brick run is just more than I can stomach. I actually like running in the rain...assuming its not thundering and lightning....kind of refreshing.

2013-05-10 10:53 AM
in reply to: #4736476

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
chapfallen - 2013-05-10 10:14 AM

Just wondering if there's a general rule about people not riding in the rain?  I've seen a few of you make comments have not riding outside if it's raining.  I have to ask why not?  

At IM last year we had rain and then hail on the bike, so I was really pleased that I had plenty of experience in the wet!

I don't like the lack of visibility and the CARS lack of visibility and slippery roads.  So I'm the "indoors in bad weather" type too.  Except I think I'd run in the rain because I generally run on a rail trail sans cars.

2013-05-10 11:44 AM

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
Off to a good start this morning got in a :20 tempo run at 8:17 a mile which is pretty fast for me. I also swam 2025 yards this morning, did a 525 TT because thats my race length and was pretty happy with the result. Just an easy recovery ride at lunch, and this day will be over.
2013-05-10 12:40 PM

Hudson Valley Region

Just finished my last scheduled workout for the week. I think that's a first in a long time that I got in all my workouts. Good thing too because is another busy weekend ahead.

jimmyb: The best thing I've bought lately is one of those Medi-Dyne Prostretch things:

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11846639&cp=21033326.13002850

I use it every day - especially the days I do a lot of driving. I also take a lacrosse ball or roller to my calves and ankles.

2013-05-10 1:32 PM

User image

Does anyone else get numb fingers and toes riding the bike? I thought it was because of the cold weather and was wearing double gloves and socks, but now that the temperature is picking up I should notice an improvement, but I'm not...

And another question... about wetsuit sizing. I found on wiggle a few decent and decent priced wetsuits, the sizing guide give me either bust, height or weight. I would be a Medium for bust, XS for height but Large for weight. Obviously I think the XS would be too small... but I'm finding hard to decide between the Medium and the Large. Opinions?

Edited by tatous 2013-05-10 1:55 PM
2013-05-10 3:47 PM

User image

Master
Jason: Glad the Mrs. is home and well, and you're able to take it easy while you make her recover comfortable. 

Randee: Excellent work with the swimming! I am so glad I took lessons and worked with a coach for swimming. I learned so much from him and actual swimmers!

Melissa: Oooh, Kona! Enjoy!
Riding in rain: I don't mind as long as I'm on my favorite road course where there isn't much traffic. 
No race today. I have pool drills then a ride through the Xterra Course. It's raining right now, so I'm bummed. Hoping it'll clear up before bike time. When the hills get wet it's like riding through snot and quicksand. No fun!
Happy training, and TGIF (it's Saturday morning here already tho)!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88