BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-05-31 11:07 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open

It is days like this that I love! Me and my 11 yr old son went for a 2 mile run this morning followed by a swim and hot tub...ok we went for a donut and coffee/chocolate milk after. Can't put a price on mornings like these! Next year going to find him a road bike.

Going for a bike ride with my wife this afternoon! It is a great Saturday!

2014-05-31 11:09 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by randym95 Well there's plenty of accountability going on here but not enough beer appreciation. So for all my fellow chewy beer lovers, here's a great one to try. Youngs Double Chocolate Stout. And the best part is after you drink it down you should have consumed enough calories for one helluva long ride or run. Happy Friday everyone.
you should double check the calories. I know Guinness is actually quite low in calories...

Oops my bad..checked....212 calories but looks like a great bedtime drink or breakfast....

Edited by thor67 2014-05-31 11:12 AM
2014-05-31 11:24 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Veteran
you should double check the calories. I know Guinness is actually quite low in calories...

Oops my bad..checked....212 calories but looks like a great bedtime drink or breakfast....

Ah, yes, Guinness! Still the pinnacle of dark beers. On tap in a dark Irish pub if possible.
2014-05-31 11:55 AM
in reply to: #4996400

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
June workout #1: 17 mile bike ride. Almost caught my "rabbit" but the group ahead of me managed to stay just fast enough to beat me to my turn around spot.

Last night I tried a very good DIPA called "Sock Knocker" by Coronado Brewing. Added a couple Stone IPAs and it made for a slow morning. If it wasn't for the June challenge I might have stayed in bed.
2014-05-31 11:56 AM
in reply to: #5004856

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
Arg, it's not June yet.... Well at least it motivated me to ride!
2014-05-31 3:49 PM
in reply to: #5004857

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
I was wondering if i was losing my marbles reading your post....all for the good though!!

2014-05-31 5:02 PM

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

Training Update:  I tried to run sockless this morning.  Not a good idea.  After a brief 30 min I had blisters on both of my arches.  I now know that without some serious toughening of the feet I will still be putting socks on in transition.

Beer Update:  Had a few Founders All Day IPA last night.  That is some goods stuff and I'm pretty sure I could drink it all day!

(All-Day-IPA-6pack+bottle_web.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
All-Day-IPA-6pack+bottle_web.jpg (224KB - 3 downloads)
2014-05-31 5:04 PM
in reply to: podemma

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

Forgot to add: Good luck to all those racing this weekend!

2014-05-31 7:52 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by badmo77a

1) Can you guys give me some help in setting my expectations. I have my first sprint distance race in 8 days and have always been hoping to break 2 hours (750m, 30km, 7.5km).
Total = 2hrs 4 mins

I so much want to beat 2 hours but that really means not making any mistakes. Am I off my nut thinking this is possible?

Expectations are dangerous, especially for a first race. I'm running my first half tomorrow morning, and yes, I have a time in the back of my head, but all my training and goals is designed to simply allow me to run my best race. The rest of it is irrelevant. Time is just a number, and it can hurt your race. For a first race, go out to have a good time and finish with a smile on your face.
2014-05-31 9:24 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

, Vermont
MOlsen, I did the same - got my 40 minute run in this morning thinking "I'm starting June off right!". Came home, stretched, had my epiphany and had some bacon and eggs. After four days in a row of training including a brick my real June 1st tomorrow will probably be a rest day....

Mixed it up tonight - a beer, followed by a disgusting "girly" drink, followed by a glass of wine. Wow. Need to iron some of that out. A nice Grey Goose up with olives to clear the palate. Tomorrow - back to Switchback.

Cheers!
2014-06-01 7:52 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

today was a rest day, but looking forward to a long bike tomorrow. I also registered for beach to battle half iron so looks like it is going to happen. A little nervous as I have only done sprints but time to start training with no excuses.....

2014-06-01 9:17 AM
in reply to: #5004912

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Race day!
2014-06-01 11:02 AM
in reply to: SportzVision

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Originally posted by SportzVision

Race day!

WOOT!
2014-06-01 11:03 AM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
David should be out on the course at his Rev3 HIM. I'm sure he's tearing it up.

All these folks racing gets me pumped! I have just over 30 days to my first of the season.
2014-06-01 11:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

David and Charles.

Both out of the water.

Charles is on the run and David is on the bike. Should be getting off in the next 45 minutes.

Go Cynthia!

Originally posted by Burd David should be out on the course at his Rev3 HIM. I'm sure he's tearing it up. All these folks racing gets me pumped! I have just over 30 days to my first of the season.

2014-06-01 1:11 PM

User image

Hi.
I'd like to join to if you'll have me.

Name: Tonje or Crafty
Story: Well, There really isn't much. I am so fresh. A few years ago I saw a documentary about Norseman and thought it looked awesome. And filed it under no way I will ever be able to do something like that. Then in kickboxing class last spring I asked my teacher how to build my endurance. Her answer: "You'll hate this, but running." So I did, started with a C25K program and read books about running to keep myself inspired. Then picked up a book about triathlon, I forget which and that old feeling of "Man that sounds so awesome" came back. But it still felt a bit... much, until I realized there are sprint distances. And several races around where I live. So I challenged my little brother to a sprint distance next summer.

Family status: Engaged, but waiting for her immigration visa to go through. We also have a poodle that is living with her.

Current training and goal: Currently I am still training mostly running. I am signed up for the 10k distance of Oslo Marathon and it will be my second ever race. My goal training wise for the summer is to get my swimming and biking to a comfortable level so I don't have to start from scratch next spring. It's been many years since I did any biking and a few years since I swam last. I would love to give the local tri club's training-race a chance at some point during the season, but I am not sure I am up for that.

Beer preference: I drink mostly IPAs and I try to try new ones and preferably Norwegian breweries. Just want to try as much as possible. I also want to learn to brew my own.

Weight loss: Yes please?
Nah, seriously, weightloss is something I have a complicated relationship with. self esteem from having been big my whole life. I want to lose weight but I don't want it to be the factor which determine success or failure for me. I know in the past that has never worked for me. I want to see the weight loss more as a side effect of my getting fitter. This spring has been my heaviest, but I have also been getting stronger and been able to go for longer than ever before so maybe that won't happen. Or maybe the medical conditions I got is making it stubborn.

So yeah, there you have a little bit about me.

2014-06-01 4:08 PM

User image

Veteran
New Mexico
Originally posted by thor67

David and Charles.

Both out of the water.

Charles is on the run and David is on the bike. Should be getting off in the next 45 minutes.

Go Cynthia!

Originally posted by Burd David should be out on the course at his Rev3 HIM. I'm sure he's tearing it up. All these folks racing gets me pumped! I have just over 30 days to my first of the season.

Congrats to all of you who are racing today, hope everything goes well! I can't imagine doing a HIM, I'm sure you guys will do great though!

As for me, I'm off to a good start for the June challenge. I started off the morning with my Rushfit workout (I know it doesn't count for the challenge) it was an easy workout today though doing flexibility exercises. I got my 40min bike ride in a few minutes ago. Spent the first half peddling against a 18mph headwind with 30mph gusts but the ride home was nice with a tailwind! Taking a break then headed to the pool. That will start the month out with 2 workouts and only 26 more to go! Hope everyone else is having a great Sunday!
2014-06-01 4:18 PM
in reply to: TomsTri-ing

User image

First tri of the season done. Sprint Tri in 1:51:29. It featured some brutal climbs on both the bike and the run. Finished 10th in my age cat. 

I learned a valuable lesson today. Triathletes and their fancy aerodynamic bikes can fly on the flats but roadies dominate the climbs. I was riding a road bike with tri bars. I was hitting around 42km/h on the flats and getting smashed by the guys on the expensive Cervelos but as soon as we hit a climb I sat up on the hoods and reeled them back in like they weren't even moving. That felt good. I love doing triathlons but this made me realize that I'll always be a roadie at heart. 

2014-06-01 5:11 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

, Vermont
Great job, adempsey10!! Congrats on the finish and age category finish!
I'm inspired!
Cheers!
2014-06-01 7:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Congratulations to:

Alan

Charles

David

Cynthia

Awesome job completing your races!

2014-06-01 8:48 PM

User image

, Vermont
Congratulations everyone! Great effort!

(Switchback beer.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Switchback beer.jpg (712KB - 2 downloads)

2014-06-01 10:09 PM
in reply to: Craftyviking

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Originally posted by Craftyviking

Hi.
I'd like to join to if you'll have me.

Name: Tonje or Crafty
Story: Well, There really isn't much. I am so fresh. A few years ago I saw a documentary about Norseman and thought it looked awesome. And filed it under no way I will ever be able to do something like that. Then in kickboxing class last spring I asked my teacher how to build my endurance. Her answer: "You'll hate this, but running." So I did, started with a C25K program and read books about running to keep myself inspired. Then picked up a book about triathlon, I forget which and that old feeling of "Man that sounds so awesome" came back. But it still felt a bit... much, until I realized there are sprint distances. And several races around where I live. So I challenged my little brother to a sprint distance next summer.

Family status: Engaged, but waiting for her immigration visa to go through. We also have a poodle that is living with her.

Current training and goal: Currently I am still training mostly running. I am signed up for the 10k distance of Oslo Marathon and it will be my second ever race. My goal training wise for the summer is to get my swimming and biking to a comfortable level so I don't have to start from scratch next spring. It's been many years since I did any biking and a few years since I swam last. I would love to give the local tri club's training-race a chance at some point during the season, but I am not sure I am up for that.

Beer preference: I drink mostly IPAs and I try to try new ones and preferably Norwegian breweries. Just want to try as much as possible. I also want to learn to brew my own.

Weight loss: Yes please?
Nah, seriously, weightloss is something I have a complicated relationship with. self esteem from having been big my whole life. I want to lose weight but I don't want it to be the factor which determine success or failure for me. I know in the past that has never worked for me. I want to see the weight loss more as a side effect of my getting fitter. This spring has been my heaviest, but I have also been getting stronger and been able to go for longer than ever before so maybe that won't happen. Or maybe the medical conditions I got is making it stubborn.

So yeah, there you have a little bit about me.

Welcome aboard! Glad to have you with us.
2014-06-02 12:51 AM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Originally posted by Burd

Originally posted by SportzVision

Race day!

WOOT!

Thanks Alex!

Well since my last OLY in April, I improved my swim by 7 minutes..whhhaaaattt??? Improved my bike by almost 30 minutes but that is not so surprising since the hills are not as bad on this last tri compared to the Napa OLY I did in April. Unfortunately my run was 2 minutes slower but there are a lot more hills on this run. Ugh...struggled on the run and was shaking so bad at one aid station I am pretty certain I heard serious concern when the guy at the aid station called out that I had a mile and a half to the last station. i left that station with two cups of ice in my bra.

Early on I knew I was in trouble when I stood up from tying my shoes and I was sure I was going to pass out. I really didn't want that to happen because we were running on trails in high grass and I was worried I would fall off the path and no one would find me! And it would have freaked my kid out. After the race the guy from the aid station drove by and stopped his truck to congratulate me on finishing, my daughter asked why he made such a big deal about ME finishing...if only she knew!

So no tears on the trail...almost...but I caught myself and said, forget that I was just feeling sorry for myself, if I don't like walking then train more, now just finish. I do this race again in mid July and am eager to see the progress that can be made in 6 weeks; I really need to get faster cause it is going to be crazy hot.
2014-06-02 12:54 AM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Originally posted by adempsey10

First tri of the season done. Sprint Tri in 1:51:29. It featured some brutal climbs on both the bike and the run. Finished 10th in my age cat. 

I learned a valuable lesson today. Triathletes and their fancy aerodynamic bikes can fly on the flats but roadies dominate the climbs. I was riding a road bike with tri bars. I was hitting around 42km/h on the flats and getting smashed by the guys on the expensive Cervelos but as soon as we hit a climb I sat up on the hoods and reeled them back in like they weren't even moving. That felt good. I love doing triathlons but this made me realize that I'll always be a roadie at heart. 

Nicely done!

So tell me, how DO you ride up a hill? I come to an almost dead stop; well at least it feels that way.
2014-06-02 7:00 AM

User image

Thanks for having me and congrats to everyone who did a race this weekend.

I am sitting at work and daydreaming about beer and running since half the systems are down and the other half are slow and there is contruction right outside the window. Making it hard to focus. Got my plan for my training until September all set, now I just need to hang it up on my kitchen wall and stare at it. Sadly I can't fully start until the 15th since I will be gone to work training for two weeks. I'll bring running shoes and stay with that but sadly that is all I can do. Speaking of shoes, gonna switch up mine to what used to be my indoor shoes but since I stopped running indoors in favor of running outdoors it is time to give them a real test. Going to be a fun evening, cleaning, packing and running. And hopefully also finish the last row on my knitting project.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 51166 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19837 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.