BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2014-06-08 10:02 PM
in reply to: golfgirl88

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Subject: RE: Boise update

Wow Steve!  That sounds really terrible, but good to see you still have your sense of humor.    Good luck with your recovery.

2014-06-08 10:56 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

That's terrible Steve!

Take care, and heal quickly!

Scott I.
2014-06-09 3:41 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Monterey, California
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN!
Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by NewDiz

. . . Many are so self-absorbed in their own fitness and performance, and bragging about that online. I think that older triathletes perhaps have a better perspective on this thing, with a better self-awareness of our place in this world (as in not being personally the center of the universe). I try not to let the fact that I'm in pretty good shape, as opposed to the general population, go to my head . . .

...Yeah, if I was given a choice between young and strong or older and more mentally developed, I would choose being older.  Mental trumps everything else.

I did an OWS in Hawaii with a team from California - got run over by one of those idiots who thinks crawling on top of folks is a brilliant idea. The same happened once when I played water polo - once because I rapidly learned to fight back and when you promptly elbow someone word goes out not to try drowning you again. I didn't elbow my Hawaii idiot but rather went down a few feet, waved at the cameraman on the bottom then got back into the race. I figured that knucklehead probably wasn't a real swimmer (swimmers are, imho, not a$$es) and I'd pass them later.

But, I'm also not going to be swimming at a level where it matters. Yes, grey with skills over young and thoughtless.
2014-06-09 3:43 AM

User image

Monterey, California
Oh, yikes, heal well and keep with the good outlook, humor and apples!
2014-06-09 3:46 AM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Monterey, California
Subject: RE: Cycling - hand pain
Originally posted by juneapple... Check to see if you're using your hands (and arms) to support your upper body weight. The bike geometry / riding position will make a difference with that as well. If you're supporting alot of your body weight with the small surface area of your hands, I could see that leading to numbness.

Stu

ah, yes, I'll double check but, yeah, that sounds like it might be one of my problems. Thanks, Stu
2014-06-09 4:26 AM

User image

Spencer, New York
So sorry to hear about your crash, injuries, disappointment, and revised training schedule.

2014-06-09 4:53 AM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: RE: Tri Clinic and Open Water swim clinic this morning...
When I started doing tri's 4 years ago, one thing I learned was that swimming in open water could put me in a panic. Among the steps I took, in addition to taking many many lessons with an excellent teacher, were these: (1) acknowledge that the justifiable anxiety of being face down in water was actually opening the floodgates to unrelated, unrecognized fears; on dry land, identifying, looking at, and learning to live with those fears. (2) singing to myself while swimming! (ie sort of humming and thinking the words) It has a very calming effect. Also, by choosing specific songs and practicing, I knew pretty much how far I'd gone and how far yet to swim. (Not knowing this was one of the things I hated about OWS.) I don't think I made much use of singing during races last year, but it is always in my toolkit if the need arises.
2014-06-09 6:39 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by lutzman

Hey Gang: here's the update from Boise and it is not good. 'i crashed on my bike at mile 52. 

Hey Steve -

Oh man, what do you say?  Sorry you wrecked and really glad you are on the mend.

I have heard many times that there are two types of cyclists - those that HAVE crashed, and those that HAVE NOT crashed.  I suppose this may be a good time to ask everyone a simple question?  What would happen if YOU crashed while on a training ride or had an accident while running?  I personally do not carry ID with me while I am out training.  How about you?  Would first responders know who you are?  Would they know how to get hold of your loved ones?  Would they know your pertinent medical history?  When I realized I had to answer all of those questions "NO" I became very concerned.

I now wear a Road-ID bracelet - http://www.roadid.com/Common/default.aspx - whenever I am riding or running.  (NO I don't have any financial interest in RoadID).  They have several options, one being that your entire medical history and all of your contact information is privately stored and instantly accessible with a pin that is on the back of the bracelet.  First responders are aware of RoadID is and look for it in case of an accident.  Less than $30 bought absolute peace of mind for me and more importantly, for my wife.  I encourage you to investigate this protection as countless others have.

Steve - get well soon my friend.

2014-06-09 6:43 AM
in reply to: Beach_Gurlz

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Cycling - hand pain

Originally posted by Beach_Gurlz
Originally posted by juneapple

... Check to see if you're using your hands (and arms) to support your upper body weight. The bike geometry / riding position will make a difference with that as well. If you're supporting alot of your body weight with the small surface area of your hands, I could see that leading to numbness. Stu

ah, yes, I'll double check but, yeah, that sounds like it might be one of my problems. Thanks, Stu

This is largely the result of an improper bike fit.  Seat to high, bars to low - your weight transfers to your arms causing pain in your hands/arms.  Seat to low, bars to high - weight transfers to your backside causing pain back there.

2014-06-09 6:44 AM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Steve, so sorry about your crash. You are in our prayers! Haave a speedy recovery!

Echol K Scott, the 1st OWS practice I went to I DNF, I was so embarassed I went home and said I'm done w/ tri's. Well 2 weeks later they had another one and I FINISHED it!!!! It was still tough but it was 1 week prior to the sprint tri. I was so nervous prior to the sprint but and to be honest 1 time I had to roll over on my back and float but when I came in I high fived the RD. Fior me, the race starts when I get out of the water and I get to pass all the fast swimmers that either struggle on the bike or run...lol

NewDiz, excellent on the aging comment!

Hey this weekend after church we went to run the trails and our son road his mountain bike. We ar lucky that we can run to a restaurant and have lunch (they have outdoor seating) It was just a fun family day.

Next weekend we are going to run to a 5 k race and run home for a total of about 11 miles. I really love riding my bike to the races that are further away, then running and riding home.

Try this recipe, chia seeds in water with honey and lemon juice. Put in the frig the night before you eat it.

I hope eveyone has a GREAT week and get ready for your races this weekend.

I do have to get back in the pool...I know I do.....
2014-06-09 6:51 AM
in reply to: KWDreamun

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Steve, do you have pics of your bike? How did she make out?

2014-06-09 6:58 AM
in reply to: Beach_Gurlz

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: Race report: Empire Senior Games Cycling Races
These were 3 races: 5k and 10k time trials plus a 20k road race. I've never done cycling races before and thought, since it was the Senior Games, It'd be fun. It was! Everyone else was a real cyclist, though, and most had the equipment to prove it.
Everyone at the Senior Games is usually pretty friendly, especially the 60-85 year olds, and yesterday was no exception. There was only 1 woman in 60-64, myself in 65-69, one in 70-74; only 1 man in 80-84. The other AGs had actual competition.
The day was beautiful , 1st races temperatures in the 60's, road race about 80 degrees. I was happy to be a triathlete so I could wear my tri-club singlet instead of a sleeved cycling shirt! Beautiful countryside, rolling hills for the TTs, nice up & downs for the RR.
My 5k was satisfactory at 11:14. It had 1 turn-around. I went right out in 5c for a couple of minutes, dropped to 5b for a few; then rode the last 4 minutes back at 5c. I didn't know how to pace a race this short, so I just rode all out.
My 10k was actually a bit faster, at 22:00. I think I did better because I knew I'd have to pace myself a bit. I rode about half in 5a, 1/3 in 5b, only 5 seconds in 5c. My hoped-for pace was 17 mph, and this was 16.9 with 2 turn-around, so I'm happy.
If I look at this race as similar to a LT test and compare with the LT test I did earlier in the season, my average HR was higher by 2 bpm, so I might think about revising my zones.
My road race was, well, an excellent LT training. My TT times were close to, a little better than, those of the 74-year old woman and the 80-something man, so I thought we might ride in a little group. Indeed we might have; they started a bit ahead and were often in catching distance, but I had a few mishaps. The course included a long fast (fun!) downhill followed by a hairpin turn and then a comparable uphill. It was my fault: I had gone there to ride the course previously but had misread the map, so didn't practice this. My road bike does not like shifting into the small chain ring under a load; on the first loop the chain came off; on the second loop I shifted into the middle chain ring before the turn but it initially wouldn't shift to the smallest on the uphill even when I relaxed the load; only on the 3rd loop did I shift into the smallest before the turn and have no problems. In addition, after the second loop the road marshals, not knowing I was a lap behind, were shouting for me to continue towards the finish and, although I knew I had another lap, there was some delay (especially as there was another cyclist stopped for some reason at the intersection) .
So the long & short of it is I finished DFL about 30 seconds behind my 2 peers, and never after the 1st couple of minutes rode in a group. My time was too shameful to mention. However, in looking at my HR path when I got home, I saw that it danced around the LT the entire way, so I can see the ride as just a good workout. I should also say that my finish was strong & I sprinted the last half-mile or so, chanting my new mantra "don't ride like a sissy! suffer.. suffer..suffer" Also that riding up that long hill I retained enough awareness to be awed by the beauty of the masses of wild daisies growing by the roadside.
2014-06-09 7:35 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Subject: RE: Race report: Empire Senior Games Cycling Races

Sounds like you had a fun day Deb!  

2014-06-09 7:36 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Subject: RE: Race report: Empire Senior Games Cycling Races
OK2Try, GREAT report, glad you had a good experience and LT is tough. GREAT job!
2014-06-09 7:44 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Subject: RE: Breathing

Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by dcon

Scott:  I took a look at your blog and the article about breathing.  I've read many things and watched many videos, but your way of explaining it resonates with me (especially the "poor body roll equals poor breathing" part).   I will be back in the pool on Sat or Sun to give it a try.

Dan,

Glad it helped.  In my humble opinion, body roll is the single most important thing to doing freestyle properly.  Get that right and everything else will begin to fall in to place.

Let me know how it goes when you try it out in the pool.

Scott,

I think that I am doing a better job at keeping my head down and only turning it a little for that breath.  I did read your blog entries for both body roll and breathing and I am pretty sure I need more body roll.   Can you say anything about where in the stroke cycle you actually turn your head to breathe?  Seems like the peak point in the body roll would coincide with the recovering arm (elbow first) just starting to come out of the water.  Is that right?  Should I be starting to turn my head just slightly before that?

Thanks.

Edited by dcon 2014-06-09 7:44 AM
2014-06-09 9:01 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Hey Scott,

I hadn't heard that about "catch-up" drills before. That might explain why my regular swimming instructor uses them sparingly. In retrospect, I don't think the OWS instructor intended it to be used all the time. She mentioned it to me after my first snout-full of water. I was so focused on coughing that my stroke had shortened into a modified dog-paddle.

What is the primary problem with the "catch-up" drill. Is it that it slows the cadence? Or is it the pause during the glide?

BTW, I just discovered your website. It looks like there is a lot of good information!

Thanks!
Scott I.

2014-06-09 9:06 AM

User image

Thanks KWDreamun,

I did roll on my back for a few seconds to catch my breath and "reboot". With the wetsuit it felt like I was floating on an air mattress. That helps build a little confidence!

Good luck on the 5K!

Scott I.
2014-06-09 11:06 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Oh no, Steve. So sorry to hear this is how your race ended. Sending lots of mending wishes toward the Northwest for our mentor!

Stu
2014-06-09 1:52 PM

New user
Wooster, Ohio
Oh Steve, I wish ;you a strong and steady recovery. That is one of my biggest fears.... Bike wreck). Hope that you keep your spirits up and let everyone wait on you. Time to be pampered (Im not talking diapers here)!
2014-06-09 5:02 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-06-09 7:11 PM
in reply to: dcon

Spencer, New York
Subject: RE: Breathing
Dan wrote
"I think that I am doing a better job at keeping my head down and only turning it a little for that breath. I did read your blog entries for both body roll and breathing and I am pretty sure I need more body roll. Can you say anything about where in the stroke cycle you actually turn your head to breathe? Seems like the peak point in the body roll would coincide with the recovering arm (elbow first) just starting to come out of the water. Is that right? Should I be starting to turn my head just slightly before that?"

I learned a very helpful exercise with which I start every single workout: just swim a lap or 2 focusing on keeping your lower eye submerged while breathing. If you're not seeing what's underwater with that eye, your head has come up too much. (you have to kind of poke your mouth up to one side to breathe!)

Deb

2014-06-09 7:30 PM

Farmington, Connecticut
Originally posted by KWDreamun

Try this recipe, chia seeds in water with honey and lemon juice. Put in the frig the night before you eat it.

Hi Karl,

A quick question about this recipe tip. Do the chia seeds absorb all the water and become a sort of jelly? How do you eat it - add to smoothie or yogurt?

Dave
2014-06-09 7:39 PM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Ouch!! Heal well Steve!  Broken ribs are so painful.  Seven of them with all the other injuries sounds brutal!!

2014-06-09 8:35 PM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by EchoLkScott

What is the primary problem with the "catch-up" drill. Is it that it slows the cadence? Or is it the pause during the glide? BTW, I just discovered your website. It looks like there is a lot of good information! Thanks!

Scott I.

Hi Scott -

Let me start by saying there are two types of freestyle.  There is 'Triathlon Freestyle' and there is 'Swim Meet Freestyle."  In swim meet freestyle, the one and only consideration is speed - going as fast as you can for the entire race.  Then you get out of the water and generally have a couple hours before your next event.  Triathlon freestyle on the other hand is about conservation of energy.  You don't get to recover any time soon and when you do get done with the swim you are going to climb on a bike and ride, often for a considerable distance.  Then you get to run to cool down.  My point is that you swim the two different types of freestyle differently to accomplish disparate goals.  The VAST majority of swim coaches and instructors out there are teaching or coaching swim meet freestyle.  If you try to swim a triathlon swim leg the same way you would swim a 100 freestyle race, you likely will not complete the triathlon swim leg.  If you do complete it, you will pretty well be trashed for the rest of the day.  When I talk about freestyle here, I am talking about triathlon freestyle.  In a swim meet, specifically the longer distances at a swim meet, glide is not such a bad thing.

Now on to your question.

The swim leg of the majority of triathlons is held in open water - ocean, lake, or river.   In open water you tend to have rough water.and in rough water, the last thing you want is a long glide.  The catch-up drill teaches a REALLY long glide.  There is a person I recently started working with who has so much glide that the recovering hand is nearly entering the water before the other hand begins the stroke.  That means there is NO propulsion except for the little bit from the kick during nearly the entire recovery.  If a swimmer does that in open water they will be nearly stopped by the time they start the next stroke.  Then you have a constant battle, trying to get momentum.  You start to go, then you slow down, then you start to go, then slow down.  That is a VERY inefficient way to swim.  On the other hand, if you have a symmetrical stroke, you will always have "a paddle in the water."  You won't be fighting to develop forward momentum with every stroke.

As I think about it, even if the swim leg is held in a pool, this is going to apply as there would be so many people in the pool that there would be fairly rough water.

I tell anyone I work with to NEVER do another catch up drill unless their goal is to compete in swim meets.

2014-06-09 8:53 PM

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by lutzman

Happy training....an PLEASE be careful out there.

Steve

At least I didnt break a jaw so I can still chow down on apples.

Holy Crap!!!

Glad to hear you are still alive and will be OK. Sounds like one epic spill though.

Once and a while when going fairly fast, well as fast as this little fat Irish guy can go, I wonder what the heck would happen if I hit something. So I hit the break pads a couple of times and move on.

We all must be a little bit crazy to be doing this at any age but I wouldn't have it any other way. It still beats what I was doing 3 years ago which was sitting around on a couch being unhealthy and waiting to die.

Thoughts and Prayers are sent your way for a speedy recovery. With all the help you have given us over the past year I just wish there was somethng more we could do for you.

Hang in there my friend and yes, I too want to see pictures of the bike.

But on serious note, be careful out there we all have people that care about us and want us around for a very long time.

James
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Rss Feed  

of 40

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Qua17
Views: 48167 Posts: 1446

2014-12-21 7:19 PM Qua17

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 51166 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19837 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31